Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Baruuk, Revenant, and Overguard

(XBOX)GearsMatrix301

Someone brought the upcoming Revenant change to my attention and it made me think.

So when Overguard was introduced it objectively made every single Crowd Control ability worse. As it not only made enemies completely ignore CC but also completely ignore any secondary mechanics those abilities have (ie Vaubans Bastille armor strip).

And the first instance where we saw a reversal of this was Baruuk. His 4 was made unable to damage Eximus units because it has a Ragdoll CC effect onto it. And DE made the decision to value its DPS over its CC and allow its damage to still work on Eximus. And I am very grateful to whoever at DE made that call. They kept Baruuk from being thrown back into his “pre 4 augment” days.

Now the second instance of this is now Revenant receiving changes to Mesmer Skin to directly combat Eximus units ignoring its sleep affect. Now unlike Baruuk who’s fix was buried within all the other changes and fixes, Revenants change is publicly stated. Now ignoring my own personal issues with the frame. We all know who made Revanant and the position that person currently has at the studio. There’s also the fact that Revenant has always gotten some set of tweaks every 2 years or so while other frames are just left to go another year in desperate need of a rework. And that time where his 1 shot gimmick was conveniently completely overlooked when DE did that mass exodus of other 1 shot mechanics.

Now it would be very easy for me, given the evidence, to call favoritism towards Revenant. And I honestly don’t want to. What I want is for these to be the start of DE going through and letting the additional effects of CC abilities be able to still function against Eximus units. Instead of meticulously obsessing over improving a single warframe.

Leaving aside the tinfoil...

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

What I want is for these to be the start of DE going through and letting the additional effects of CC abilities be able to still function against Eximus units.

...yes to this.  Most abilities that are have a mix of CC and non-CC components shouldn't be completely short circuited by Overguard.

And DE could  also add non-CC components to the abilities of a few frames that have been particularly set back by Overguard.

There's also forms of CC like disarms that work through OG in some cases but not in others.  Some of these could be made to work universally if that's the intent.

51 minutes ago, (PSN)rexis12 said:

Garuda's Dread Still fails against Eximus due to the knockdown it has.

That also needs change.

Like I understand the knockdown is helpful in making sure Garuda doesn’t put herself directly in front of an enemy that could potentially insta kill her. But atleast let the player chose that risk.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

Now unlike Baruuk who’s fix was buried within all the other changes and fixes, Revenants change is publicly stated.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I just wanted to quote this to point out that Revenant is chronologically the next Prime Access (could be swapped with Baruuk, but who knows). I'm guessing the focus and attention on Revenant is to remind people of his strengths to encourage future Prime Access engagement from the changes and attention.

It actually made Lantern a lot better, there's a reason to cast it now vs. its usual awkward downsides because I know it actually works to attract nearby Eximus so it's now worth dealing with how awkward it can be to use. I put it back on some of my Titania builds ^^

I don't disagree with the rest of your post? If a CC skill has a non CC effect, it should apply.

Weirdly enough too there are other examples where this already happens:

Tribute works on Eximus units. They won't be knocked over or debuffed but the Tribute will still spawn like normal.

It's just sort of inconsistency?

10 minutes ago, cute_moth.npc said:

It's just sort of inconsistency?

One of the few  consistent things about Warframe!

I'm always encountering these non CC effects that are seemingly tied to CC as far as Overguard is concerned, like Condemn not restoring shields, or Avalanche not armor stripping.  And then there's something like Prowl...it's got no CC at all, why in the world can't it loot eximus through OG?

Then there are some that I didn't expect to work but did, like both damage components of Divine Spears.  Eximus don't get impaled, but they take impale damage.  Better yet, they don't get slammed to the ground at the end, but they still take slammed to the ground damage, lol.

And don't get me started on the CCs that obviously shouldn't work...but no! Of course they do.

The Leonidas gif for this game should feature him with Lotus's head kicking somebody wearing a "Consistency" t-shirt into a pit.

8 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

There’s also the fact that Revenant has always gotten some set of tweaks every 2 years or so while other frames are just left to go another year in desperate need of a rework. And that time where his 1 shot gimmick was conveniently completely overlooked when DE did that mass exodus of other 1 shot mechanics.

Now it would be very easy for me, given the evidence, to call favoritism towards Revenant. And I honestly don’t want to. What I want is for these to be the start of DE going through and letting the additional effects of CC abilities be able to still function against Eximus units. Instead of meticulously obsessing over improving a single warframe.

• The last time Rev got a targeted tweak was 3 years ago (from what I see in the patch notes)... and he's only been out 4 years (8/24/18).
  • I don't know what you'd mean by removal of "1 shot mechanics" other than damage attenuation, and Reave is definitely affected by damage attenuation and reduction.

And your argument comes off as very hyperbolic.

12 hours ago, Voltage said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but I just wanted to quote this to point out that Revenant is chronologically the next Prime Access (could be swapped with Baruuk, but who knows). I'm guessing the focus and attention on Revenant is to remind people of his strengths to encourage future Prime Access engagement from the changes and attention.

What strengths? He’s Revenant.

8 hours ago, KitMeHarder said:
  • The last time Rev got a targeted tweak was 3 years ago (from what I see in the patch notes)... and he's only been out 4 years (8/24/18).
  • I don't know what you'd mean by removal of "1 shot mechanics" other than damage attenuation, and Reave is definitely affected by damage attenuation and reduction.

And your argument comes off as very hyperbolic.

Reave drains a % of health on cast and that % is doubled for thralls. It’s not affected by enemy armor or whatever attenuation is. Its a 1 shot that DE straight up ignored when they were removing other one shot mechanics like covert lethality.

9 minutes ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

It’s not affected by enemy armor or whatever attenuation is. Its a 1 shot that DE straight up ignored when they were removing other one shot mechanics like covert lethality.

It's definitely affected by attenuation and damage reduction, thus why you can't one-shot current day liches or old Nox.

And you said "mass exodus". What besides Covert Lethality was removed (and CO actually ignored DR and might have ignored attenuation too)? Energy Vampire is still here, Frost's Snow Globe is still here, Sevagoth's passive is here, etc...

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage_Reduction#Special_Enemies_and_Damage_Attenuation

50 минут назад, KitMeHarder сказал:

Another video

Tested it in-case it didn't work anymore, and, oh boy, it does.
Might subsume Pull on him post-Veilbreaker, one downside is that it doesn't work against ragdolled enemies, so I'll have to wait till enemies start their getting-up animation.

Archived