The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fulmin nerfs -- help me understand

(NSW)BenHiraga

Question

I know there's a lot of fuming over the updates, so right off the bat, I want to be clear that this isn't an angry rant. I'm just looking to understand.

Discovering the Fulmin was a revelation for me in this game. Its crit and punch-through allowed it to actually make something of an impact, even when the rest of your squad was toting AOE primaries, without being an aim-free crutch itself. You could leap around and shoot enemies with your little electric shotgun, just like (I assume) the game meant you to. It provided a decent balance between being effective, but not too effective.

So I'm somewhat confused as to why the Fulmin received the following changes along with other meta weapons in the new update:

• Increased Alt fire ammo requirement from 10 to 15. 
  • Primary Weapons with Ammo Regen Rates Overrides: 

• Fulmin: From 30/s to 20/s

More or less, I understand how these changes will affect the weapon's use. What I'm wondering is, why?

My best inkling is that this was a pre-emptory strike before it gets exploited by the new Wukong behavior. If the twin bleeds through ammo, giving him a rechargeable weapon could emerge as a workaround. That's a fair concern, even if handing him a pre-nerf Fulmin is nowhere near as overpowered as the previous options were.

Before I go devoting a fair amount of time and Formas into a new weapon, I'm curious if there's something I missed that made nerfing the Fulmin necessary. The better I understand the factors, the better I can choose which weapon(s) and mod(s) I should invest in. Thanks in advance.

17 answers to this question

Good news: it's been UN-NERFED!  

22 минуты назад, [DE]Connor сказал:

Ammo Changes & Review: 

When we were reviewing ammo acquisition as a whole for Update 32, we felt weapons with Ammo Regen Rate Overrides, or “Battery,” in particular, needed a place within the ecosystem of change we had established. That said, upon review of feedback, we recognize we were a bit heavy-handed with the changes we made to Battery weapons. We have restored their original values for the time being while we reassess how we can better approach these weapons. 

We have restored the original values for the following weapons: 

• Basmu: 
    • Returned ammo regen rate to 42/s from 10.5/s
  • Bubonico:
    • Returned ammo regen rate to 9/s from 4.5/s
    • Returned Alt fire ammo requirement to 3 from 9
  • Flux Rifle: 
    • Returned ammo regen rate to 40/s from 24/s
  • Fulmin: 
    • Returned ammo regen rate to 30/s from 20/s
    • Returned Alt fire ammo requirement to 10 from 15
  • Shedu: 
    • Returned ammo regen rate to 28/s from 3.5/s
  • Cycron: 
    • Returned ammo regen rate to 40/s from 20/s
  • Tenet Cycron: 
    • Returned ammo regen rate to 40/s from 20/s

We also missed a note from Update 32, where applying Pax Charge to Kitguns was also applying Ammo Regen Rate Overrides. But similar to the above, we have since reverted that for review. 

12 minutes ago, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

That's a shame. I specifically play(ed) Warframe because I don't want to care about ammo. That's a feature of other games, which is why I don't play them. Too bad.

that should still be the case for many weapons, just the ones that are strongest are now balanced by their ammo economy when previously they were not. 

i'd highly recommend trying out various weapons to see which one you like best. 

... I already debunked the alleged Ignis/Wraith nerf... No effect...

... Tomorrow, I'm going to flip a coin and see which weapon I'm going to debunk next... I'm going to laugh so hard when I debunk all of the allegedly "nerfed to six feet under" weapons and all of them end up having the same result as my Ignis/Wraith...

15 hours ago, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

Another possibility I didn't consider: DE may have plans to drop Fulmin Prime in late 2022/early 2023, so to avoid making the Prime version of an already effective weapon even stronger, they nerfed the vanilla version so the Prime can basically use the same/similar stats the regular version used to have.

The Fulmin was released with Wisp, so its Prime will also come with Wisp Prime...which won't be until at least mid-2023, given the next two primes will be male.

It's also not necessary to nerf the Fulmin to make a good Fulmin Prime.  Giving it a larger magazine size / ammo capacity and / or a few % crit / dam / status would be enough.

6 hours ago, Myscho said:

Sadly, every battery weapon get nerfed, even if wasnt meta or op or something

Could be hotfix 32.0.2 will interest you - some changes reverted (for now)! This is relevant to Fulmin too.

Can be deleted by moderator - the previous post which I missed somehow, already says it all.

you're not supposed to have Ammo. that's the sum of it.

if you don't have highly elevated Damage per Shot to Kill Enemies very expediently at the current Level, you'll get punished for it.
you're supposed to grind for all of the Stat increases that get added with each Update.
but also Enemies are resistant or immune to those Stats/Mechanics, because you'll get punished for having them.

:)

19 minutes ago, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

Another possibility I didn't consider: DE may have plans to drop Fulmin Prime in late 2022/early 2023, so to avoid making the Prime version of an already effective weapon even stronger, they nerfed the vanilla version so the Prime can basically use the same/similar stats the regular version used to have.

Makes sense

1 minute ago, SDGDen said:

the entire ammo economy got re-balanced, so that's why fulmin got specifically ammo-based nerfs. the goal isn't just to nerf AOE wukong spam, but to remove being able to just not care about ammo at all. which for chargeable weapons you need to manage your ammo a bit harder. 

That's a shame. I specifically play(ed) Warframe because I don't want to care about ammo. That's a feature of other games, which is why I don't play them. Too bad.

the entire ammo economy got re-balanced, so that's why fulmin got specifically ammo-based nerfs. the goal isn't just to nerf AOE wukong spam, but to remove being able to just not care about ammo at all. which for chargeable weapons you need to manage your ammo a bit harder. 

8 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

Unfortunately, your guess is as good as ours and I would tend to come to a similar answer.

nothing to understand im afraid... they overstepped on the battery weapons... shedu got nuked from orbit and then nuked again... fulmin got nuked way harder than it deserved also

many many forma got wiped out for loads of people with not much thought of the sunk cost of it to players it seems

Archived