Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The UI is too cluttered, (buffs more precisely), & should be improved

-Krism-

1 hour ago, (PSN)FunyFlyBoy said:

What MMOs are you playing? Many aren't slow anymore and still have 20 plus buffs on the screen. 

compared
to
Warframe

they are.

1 minute ago, MqToasty said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  Honestly, they should just put a list of the active buff/debuffs in the Tab (Quick Progress View) overlay.

that does sound good, unfortunately that Scoreboard update made it take up as much space as possible so there's ""no space left"" for information like that, even though there's tons of dead space on the screen.

There's a number of ways they could reorganize them but you can't really reduce clutter while also displaying what buffs are active. But what would help is if anything that does produce a (de)buff icon displays it in a tooltip on said item. That way players have an easier time of trying to learn what icons are for what.

But aside from lumping similar buffs together I think just a "minimal" option would help. Where the icons are reduced in size, or hidden altogether, and are enlarged temporarily when they're triggered and shortly before they expire. That way if you know what icons are what you can still tell if something is active or hide them entirely while still knowing how long you have something for and when you need to reapply them.

Oh absolutely in agreement with OP.

The UI (not only during missions ) needs a proper overhaul , it is so cluttered that i dont even bother checking it and just let my playing guide me on what is probably happening.

Specifically during missions i would like to segregate the positioning of the different buffs/debuffs.

All the health , shield, Armor and resistance related effects should stay on the top right (underneath the indicators) and total Armor should be an actual visible value like we now have for enemies.

All the weapon related effects (damage , multishot , fire rate , reload speed etc) should be placed in the bottom left and the ammo count / combo counter should move to the bottom left as well.

All the ability related effects (bonus strength , duration , range , efficiency, energy boost) should just become visible in the bottom right - as in it should show the actual % of the stat in real time instead of just the buffs.

The current ui shows so much but tell so little.

2 hours ago, (PSN)FunyFlyBoy said:

Really? Because most MMOs require on point button rotations and high KPM to do solo content or end-game content. Only "speed" Warframe has is Parkour. It isn't often you have to do more than point, shoot, jump, rinse, repeat. 

What he meant is most MMO dungeon doesn't end in under 5 minutes.

4 hours ago, (PSN)FunyFlyBoy said:

Really? Because most MMOs require on point button rotations and high KPM to do solo content or end-game content. Only "speed" Warframe has is Parkour. It isn't often you have to do more than point, shoot, jump, rinse, repeat. 

higher risk stuff in the more popular MMO's has you stepping away from Damage Zones while rotating Abilities, without moving that much, for extended periods like 20min+ for a single encounter.

not being fast paced doesn't mean that you don't have anything to do. it means that this isn't like trying to join an ESL Team.
you're not rapidly moving while also needing to Read your HUD while also executing actions. your target(s) stay pretty stable within your Camera while you focus on your HUD and the Damage Zones.

in contrast to Warframe where you're performing very rapid Movement, with a lot of Camera Movement, while avoiding attacks, attacking yourself, and focusing on your HUD to use and track your Abilities.
there's a lot more that is competing for your Mental Acuity all at once.

1 hour ago, 0_The_F00l said:

All the weapon related effects (damage , multishot , fire rate , reload speed etc) should be placed in the bottom left and the ammo count / combo counter should move to the bottom left as well.

i'm not sure how keen i am on that since Bottom Left is the most common place to put the Chat Window since forever specifically because it's very free from things for it to be covering up.

20 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i'm not sure how keen i am on that since Bottom Left is the most common place to put the Chat Window since forever specifically because it's very free from things for it to be covering up.

Hmm ,

Fair point , but the chat is movable -  it being to the left or right is equally troublesome for players that would have a preference for it to be in a comfortable place.

i am perfectly ok with the weapon effects being elsewhere - maybe to the top of the ammo count section , and the warframe effects being under the energy ,

My main point is to segregate the effects based on what it affects.

2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Hmm ,

Fair point , but the chat is movable -  it being to the left or right is equally troublesome for players that would have a preference for it to be in a comfortable place.

i am perfectly ok with the weapon effects being elsewhere - maybe to the top of the ammo count section , and the warframe effects being under the energy ,

My main point is to segregate the effects based on what it affects.

sure, i think there's space in the bottom right. just split the area into two Rows. if it's organized, it's okay for things to be near each other.

8 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Oh absolutely in agreement with OP.

Thanks ^^

8 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

The current ui shows so much but tell so little.

That's indeed the exact problem it has, we are drowned with information & can't tell what from what

6 hours ago, taiiat said:

Left is the most common place to put the Chat Window

Completely forgot about that, maybe have it like middle left then, there's absolutely nothing there

My main problem is that even if we move the icons around the screen, yes it will already be way easier to identify buffs from a quick glance, buff it will still be a lot of visual noise if stuff is everywhere, which is why I proposed to straight up remove buffs like Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds, & the resistances of Adaptation

On 2022-12-10 at 12:21 PM, -Krism- said:

As discussed with other players in the topic below, we'd like to unclutter the UI by changing how the buff icons work:

Some suggestion were, have the icons color coded, being able to whitelist/blacklist icon buffs, & simply to have the option to customize the UI in more depths

Oh btw, thank you to the moderator who purposely removed my topic from the feedback section, & now DE will most likely won't see it

1 hour ago, -Krism- said:

My main problem is that even if we move the icons around the screen, yes it will already be way easier to identify buffs from a quick glance, buff it will still be a lot of visual noise if stuff is everywhere, which is why I proposed to straight up remove buffs like Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds, & the resistances of Adaptation

if it's organized, it'll be fine. if information is actually in a consistent location, you won't have to constantly read all of it, over, and over, and over.
the next Hurdle there is what order should they go in, and it could uh, be Alphabetical i guess. that's the easiest thing for People to memorize, probably. 

Adaptation Resistances hardly need to be looked at at all if they're on their own Row, moving other stuff to separate sections of the HUD and onto their own Rows further shortens how long each one of these is, so even if you did nothing else the amount of Reading you'd have to do to find one piece of information would easily improve by a factor of 4, maybe 5.
having to Read 2, 3, maybe 5 at most Icons is so, so very much better than what we have now, without having to go "restart Civilization" on the system. 
it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work well.

to go further, additional options could be to adjust how these indicators are displayed, so that their Names are always visible at like the bottom left/right Corner of the Icon? and some Icons could look more visually unique so that you are less likely to mistake them for something else.

moving some generally low importance stuff to like, a sidebar on the Gear Menu or on the Hold Scoreboard (not Toggle) could help further - even though i think it'll be enough already there is certainly plenty of space the Gear Menu could plaster the sides of the Screen with if necessary. ofcourse, does everyone agree on whether __ is actually low enough priority for that, heh.
the redesigning the Scoreboard again is another big step up in work, so that's likely asking for far too much.
remember, the more complex the solution is, and so the more redesigning necessary, the less likely anyone that has to do the work is to say yes. gotta balance getting exactly what you want potentially never, or getting something that gets the job done sometime.

Archived