Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soulframe - Tennocon 2023 Discussion

PublikDomain

I am calling konrad von hochstaden on soulframe.

The roll and slash 2D autoaim console mechanics from batman arkham 2009, and I don't know why steve is 15 years late, were never good gameplay.

Ultimately it's the biggest possible simplification of gameplay and combat, reducing the player to clicking just 1 button on visual promt. Which I hate to say, a monkey or even a dog can do.

Warframe really is the opposite of that, with full 3D movement and animation clipping and manual aiming and coordination, which I'd call the essence of warframe, the combat.

I don't know how he can be that fundamentally clueless about his product, too many 'yes-men' around him for too long but eh, if you have more than 1 finger and your brain can operate in 3D, there is no reason to be DE-moting yourself and your gameplay.

Like for me I played battlefield vietnam, before the 'consolization' era (the retardation of gameplay) hit, and it's been 20 years since I learned to pilot a heli in full 3D with one hand, while counter-steering a 3D camera with the other hand, in what you could call double 3D.

That was... 20 years ago, I am ready for the next challenge, no need to delete all agency, combat and reduce gameplay to 1 single button, we really need to go the opposite route and make everything smarter, faster, more complex and so on.

Like, no one shows up to the NBA expecting to play worse basketball, do they? But unfortunately we've probably already seen the best they had to offer creatively overall in the gaming industry and games like GTA: Vice City were just a flash in a pan.

Still though, at least try and stay away from copy-pasting lol.

It was great to see how far Soulframe has come since we last saw it.  It looks like it's shaping up to be a AAA calibre fantasy game, with a touch of that DE creativity/weirdness.  I still can't quite tell what the precise hook is that will truly distinguish it from other fantasy games, but given how much progress the game has made so far I'm guessing that by TennoCon 2024 it will be clear.  Definitely excited to see a game that focuses on redemption and compassion as well!  I'm looking forward to seeing more Soulframe!

On 2023-08-26 at 3:49 PM, PublikDomain said:

On hopefully a more positive note...

huP9rxk.png

Soulframe looks great! I'm looking forward to reading Steve's poems and sitting with deer and throwing swords into peoples faces.

What are your thoughts?

I couldnt possibly be less interested.

I keep coming back to warframe because i like the power fantasy, the fast paced movement, the sense of agility, and the sheer variety of weapons/builds/tactics at our disposal. 

We can give them the benefit of the doubt and say "but you'll still have power fantasy" (we dont know that. Maybe they'll listen to the nerf herders with this one) 

And say "but the variety of weapons and builds will be there too! It wont JUST be roll around with a sword!" 

But rip everything else.

That and, as much as i love DE, I am skeptical that they can deliver a product that can compete with something like Elden Ring. 

In the same way Id be skeptical if the developers that made Forza turned around and said hey we're gonna make a sci fi mmo rpg.

Archived