Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe 1999 a spin off like SoulFrame or a flashback retcon? I really don’t get the hype.

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

I’m confused as to what Warframe 1999 is supposed be. Is it a spin off game like SoulFrame? Or is it in the same universe as Warframe? Or is it a completely new game? Is the operator story coming to an end and or are they going to stop making Warframes and Operator story and development? I don’t understand the hype. Some please explain what this Warframe 1999 is and will be moving forward. 

I suppose to me it’s It appears to be a new story quest in Warframe that takes place on some sci-fi version of Earth in 1999... which, in terms of Warframe's main world state, would be the very distant past. Seems like it is going to tell the story of the first scientist to ever discover the Void, and that it is going to spiritually kind of be a remake of Dark Sector that reimagines that game as a piece of the Warframe timeline.

Edited by (XBOX)YoungGunn82

As far as we know, it will be the next story expansion after the Whispers in the Walls update. There's been nothing to suggest that it will be a separate game, and we don't really know what's going to come after because 1999 isn't even here yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

It is an update for sure , 

Probably somewhere in between veil breaker and duviri in scope, with an "alternative playstyle ".

More probably in the range of Kahl's quest tbh. Very likely a one-off mission (or suite of mission) that you get to play occasionally to get the FOTM stuff (like Archon Shards). But a complete update in Duviri's range ? It would require "Arthur" to be able to "play" as all Warframes and not only Excal, which just in the animations/design stage would be a total nightmare.

I see that more "You get to play Excalarthur in these select few missions to get [X] on a weekly basis"

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

More probably in the range of Kahl's quest tbh. 

Which is veil breaker,

31 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Very likely a one-off mission (or suite of mission) that you get to play occasionally to get the FOTM stuff (like Archon Shards). But a complete update in Duviri's range ? It would require "Arthur" to be able to "play" as all Warframes and not only Excal, which just in the animations/design stage would be a total nightmare.

I see that more "You get to play Excalarthur in these select few missions to get [X] on a weekly basis"

The quest itself will be a one off mission for sure , and there is the procedurally generated section having a new faction of murmurs where I expect most of the grind to come from.

I don't expect a new open world like duviri as a tileset , but i expect some of the mechanics to bleed over.

• Like 2

Someone pointed out that this might be a dream of whatever Giant Human thing Albrecht and the Tenno transfer into. That makes a bit more sense when you notice at the beginning of the 1999 trailer, it kinda looks like the Giant is experiencing REM sleep before cutting to Arthur.

And I hope more than anything we get more Protokol-esque weapons, I need that AK lookin rifle for the rest of the game.

Edited by TeaHands
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Bro he was literally right, why are you using this gif? 1999 will be a standard update within the game, no second game or whatever.

Because I’m looking for a little more than “it’s an update” , like no S#&$ Sherlock. 

Well, the way I interpreted it, is that we already know that DE has a rough idea of approximately 5 years worth of content and story direction. I think there are connections between Warframe 1999, Whispers in the Walls and the current story arcs we have, and anticipate. The other thing, for me at least, is that Warframes story telling methods and approach, isn't always linear. Duviri being the most recent example of this. Like for some people this might be a negative, but we didn't really get too much plot or story progression. Instead, it was sort of expanded sideways. I won't go into more because spoilers, but a lot of Warframe's plot has meant touching on the past, learning about the past, what happened, giving context to the present, and moving forward here and there too. 

Also with a few different concepts being introduced, finding out more about the Void, Main in the Wall, the Zariman, Deimos technology. So I think Whispers in the Walls will let us learn more about Albrecht Entrati, and maybe give context to what he did or can do, and his relationship with the Man in the Wall, and I think by extension, thats going to involve Eternalism, and... not necessarily time travel, but time travel like shenanigans, reality spanning shenanigans. Which I think will help set the stage for Warframe 1999, which may expand and give context to possible origins of some Warframe concepts we are already familiar with, with also a tie in or way to make Dark Sector connections canon. So like maybe touch on the Technocyte virus. Plus maybe also finding ways to give some expansion into Warframes "personalities" or maybe the individuals who would "become" Warframes, possibly their experiences. I was kind of half asleep for Tennolive (Tennocon started at like 4 am in my local time, so I was sleep deprived), but I have read and heard from other people that it sounded like "Mag" was on the phone to the Excalibur themed character? Does that mean there is a humanoid Volt working with them too, to represent our starter Warframes? 

They could also bullet jump, and the action seemed a bit more fast paced than say Kahl, so, and I could be wrong, but I got the impression this might not be a small update, but a way to link the past, both in game and meta and expand on it. May not actually be a retcon, usually thats more if something about the canon changes, or is contradicted and thus rewritten. Expanding on or giving new information doesn't always do that, and Warframe has a lot of unknown mystery to it (but also there might be retcons too of course). 

All just speculation from myself though. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Because I’m looking for a little more than “it’s an update” , like no S#&$ Sherlock. 

You literally asked if its a quest within the game or a separate game, and he told you its an update, that means not a separate game or anything like that. And then you go trolling for no reason.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

You literally asked if its a quest within the game or a separate game, and he told you its an upadte, that means not a separate game or anything like that. And then you go trolling for no reason.

Have you read the rest of the thread and how others are commenting? Or my entire post? Was looking for a little conversation. Not state the obvious. The comment, “it’s and update” is clearly disingenuous and is someone just being an obtuse ass imo. Anyone that has spent any amount of time playing warframe knows it’s a goddamn update. Or are you new here? 

16 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Have you read the rest of the thread and how others are commenting? Or my entire post? Was looking for a little conversation. Not state the obvious. The comment, “it’s and update” is clearly disingenuous and is someone just being an obtuse ass imo. Anyone that has spent any amount of time playing warframe knows it’s a goddamn update. Or are you new here? 

Youre really over the top mad right now. Collect the rest of your braincells and realise that an update means in game content. And no, not everyone knows its an update, YOU DONT. Because you asked in the main post if its a separate game, which WOULD NOT be an update. Has that clicked in your head already? A spin off game is not a friggin update. And lastly, who the hell cares what you want, you asked a question and you got an answer, deal with it.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Have

6 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Think there is only one real way to settle this my bros. Pillow Fight! I'll be the ref. No low blows or eye pokes. 

Kidding aside, I think its okay to just acknowledge was a misunderstanding. I thought OP was asking rhetorical questions and looking for people to speculate a little and discuss, but others may have taken it more literal. 

See. I wonder if we will see other characters like the Excalibur looking one? I'd like to see a human like Mesa for example, or a human looking Atlas. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

See. I wonder if we will see other characters like the Excalibur looking one? I'd like to see a human like Mesa for example, or a human looking Atlas. 

Human excalibur seemed cool to me for like 5 seconds, Other frames will be the same, human in pseudo-frame that MAYBE will be as powerful, but most likely be less powerful than frames. Something between warframes and kahl. That said, I have much higher hopes for 1999 than I had for duviri. I knew it would be terrible before it even launched, and they managed to make it even worse. This one looks like its gonna be great, good or at th every worst "meh".

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Human excalibur seemed cool to me for like 5 seconds, Other frames will be the same, human in pseudo-frame that MAYBE will be as powerful, but most likely be less powerful than frames. Something between warframes and kahl.

Yeah I can see that too.

I am not the biggest Excalibur fan in general, but human version looked dope, and made me consider the art designs of some of the others. When I saw other people discussing Mag, made me wonder what she'd look like. 

As long as I don't have to kill 10 enemies with Hoverpack Grenade kills though too, lol. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Anyway, you really think so? Man that’s not vary exciting. 

I do ,

it's been pretty consistent with updates recently , there is a one off quest which shows interesting mechanics (sometimes replayable) and then there is the grind which is usually reskinned missions we are used to with a slight spin on it.

Would I like to play as Arthur more frequently ? Sure , but past experiences make me believe I will play him in a very linear very limited scope ,the same way i played kahl , veso and teshin in the new war.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Anyway, you really think so? Man that’s not vary exciting. 

It might be like the New War, where we play as different characters, and after that we have access to 1999 as ourselves. But who knows, they might go the way of Veilbreaker or Duviri, although I hope they don't.

56 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Youre really over the top mad right now. Collect the rest of your braincells and realise that an update means in game content. And no, not everyone knows its an update, YOU DONT. Because you asked in the main post if its a separate game, which WOULD NOT be an update. Has that clicked in yoru head already? A spin off game is not a friggin update. And lastly, who the hell cares what you want, you asked a question and you got an answer, deal with it.

Derp GIF by 43 Clicks North
BlAh BLaH blEe BlEe BlaH bLAH man you got me there.