Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A modular Grimoire ?

Rafien

About that new Grimoire weapon type, wouldn't it be amazing to have it modular ? Like shaping our own spells inside the grimoire giving a target/AOE/homing choosing between elements, crit or status focused... Maybe even having multiple spells inscribed in it and swapping them inside the mission just as the Hystrix switches between bullet types.

• Like 1

I like the book but I have many criticisms regarding the attack animation, I think that the left hand should not go to the book with each attack because the theme indicates that the book is open and the power has already been invoked, in short the fire rate is low but the attacking hand must be raised towards the crosshairs for a few seconds and return to the book when in rest state.

@topic: I prefer the current dynamics of mods and hope it gets some unique mods similar to what we have for bows and scope rifles. I think modular weapons is arbitrary, best combinations are obvious, multishot is nerfed by bosses, crit damage is amplified by slash, modular system is broken as damage system is still unbalanced.

Edited by Famecans

I kinda prefer normal weapons as modular ones tend to be pretty ugly and their quirk is usually just having different projectiles.

But Modular or not, I'm just really really glad we'll have these spellbooks. The one we saw looked pretty cool and fun.

The model may be unique, but my question is how this will function, and how it will be anything special. We've already seen plenty of bullet-spewers, explosives-slingers, caveman-clubs...... so is this book going to do something totally new or is it basically just a glorified reskin?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

The model may be unique, but my question is how this will function, and how it will be anything special. We've already seen plenty of bullet-spewers, explosives-slingers, caveman-clubs...... so is this book going to do something totally new or is it basically just a glorified reskin?

Its nature could very well lead to having many "alternate modes", on the contrary to guns that usually have 2 (or quite rarely 3). It could also have side-mechanics : I don't see this type of weapons use ammo, maybe it will pool from the Warframes' energy ?

--

I'm all in for modular stuff, unless it comes with the useless Gilding Mechanics that is the worst thing that DE has ever invented: It doesn't bring anything to the table, prevents your weapon to be fully functional from rank 0 (have to rank it once before being able to have a correct build).

1 hour ago, Famecans said:

I like the book but I have many criticisms regarding the attack animation, I think that the left hand should not go to the book with each attack because the theme indicates that the book is open and the power has already been invoked, in short the fire rate is low but the attacking hand must be raised towards the crosshairs for a few seconds and return to the book when in rest state.

@topic: I prefer the current dynamics of mods and hope it gets some unique mods similar to what we have for bows and scope rifles. I think modular weapons is arbitrary, best combinations are obvious, multishot is nerfed by bosses, crit damage is amplified by slash, modular system is broken as damage system is still unbalanced.

I'm a colossal fan of the modular system, and my input is that it's fun. Yeah there's some obvious "best choices" but that's also ignoring the other very good choices that are just as if not more fun.

Obviously there's a pretty iffy difference with some of the parts (such as loaders and links, most of them are outright trash and you are always going to either wanna pick high status or high crit which sacrifices the other slightly) but when it comes to grip/handle and chamber/head, that's where the fun stuff kicks in.

Pistol kitguns are my actual favorite sidearms in the game. I love my big 3 currently, my status Rattleguts, my crit Rattleguts, and my Vermisplicer. Chamber/Head is obviously the big "this or that" option while the grip/handle usually doesn't change too, too much but it can lead to completely different feels for the same weapon and for some folks that matters a lot.

There are some definite meaningful changes they could make to the modular system to make it more competitive not only within themselves but amongst non-modular weaponry but I think adding more modular stuff as an option is a good way to let us put our own bloody mitts onto our weapons the way we want to beyond just modding. Both can work together quite nicely, especially if you know what you're doing and willing to put in the effort to make the sillier weapons work.

EDIT:

I should also mention I have several Zaws, as well. I love love love love LOVE the modular system. My #1 issue with zaws is literally just that we don't have any more options. I want dual blades. I want sword and shield. I want to be able to make my own modular in any weapon type category!

Edited by Flannoit
  • Like 1

On 2023-08-31 at 4:47 AM, Flannoit said:

I'm a colossal fan of the modular system, and my input is that it's fun. Yeah there's some obvious "best choices" but that's also ignoring the other very good choices that are just as if not more fun.

Obviously there's a pretty iffy difference with some of the parts (such as loaders and links, most of them are outright trash and you are always going to either wanna pick high status or high crit which sacrifices the other slightly) but when it comes to grip/handle and chamber/head, that's where the fun stuff kicks in.

Pistol kitguns are my actual favorite sidearms in the game. I love my big 3 currently, my status Rattleguts, my crit Rattleguts, and my Vermisplicer. Chamber/Head is obviously the big "this or that" option while the grip/handle usually doesn't change too, too much but it can lead to completely different feels for the same weapon and for some folks that matters a lot.

There are some definite meaningful changes they could make to the modular system to make it more competitive not only within themselves but amongst non-modular weaponry but I think adding more modular stuff as an option is a good way to let us put our own bloody mitts onto our weapons the way we want to beyond just modding. Both can work together quite nicely, especially if you know what you're doing and willing to put in the effort to make the sillier weapons work.

EDIT:

I should also mention I have several Zaws, as well. I love love love love LOVE the modular system. My #1 issue with zaws is literally just that we don't have any more options. I want dual blades. I want sword and shield. I want to be able to make my own modular in any weapon type category!

I would also love for zaws and kitguns to have more options like whips; brass knuckles; dual swords; dual pistols; rifle snipers, flamethrower, grenade launcher... however the modular system should have the option to disassemble keeping all the forma on barrel.

The dismantling is only fair as this is the most expensive weapon system in the game and is significantly accessible to novice players making them believe they have the best gear in the game when there are few really useful settings. My criticism of kitguns is that we don't have parts to increase the rate of fire, there's no balance between damage and magazine increase so the options are obvious for veterans and predatoryly expensive for newcomers.

there are two arcane slots to unlock, a lot of syndicate farm, forge time, ore farm, put form4s; get arcana locked by syndicate, get arcana in the depths of deimos in relatively difficult missions, the player can waste up to 100 platinum in form4s and think that all this is irreversible and difficult to premeditate because logically there are no descriptive statistics for each piece.

Edited by Famecans

5 hours ago, Famecans said:

I would also love for zaws and kitguns to have more options like whips; brass knuckles; dual swords; dual pistols; rifle snipers, flamethrower, grenade launcher... however the modular system should have the option to disassemble keeping all the form4s in the drum.

The dismantling is only fair as this is the most expensive weapon system in the game and is significantly accessible to novice players making them believe they have the best gear in the game when there are few really useful settings. My criticism of kitguns is that we don't have parts to increase the rate of fire, there's no balance between damage and magazine increase so the options are obvious for veterans and predatoryly expensive for newcomers.

there are two arcane slots to unlock, a lot of syndicate farm, forge time, ore farm, put form4s; get arcana locked by syndicate, get arcana in the depths of deimos in relatively difficult missions, the player can waste up to 100 platinum in form4s and think that all this is irreversible and difficult to premeditate because logically there are no descriptive statistics for each piece.

I agree there's a lot of sunk cost that can screw players over. My Kritgun needed to be fully forma'd before it was even considerable as usable, which was pretty steep, though the end result is great. It would also be nice to have a "try before you buy" system but I think that's the case for, well, everything.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rafien said:

About that new Grimoire weapon type, wouldn't it be amazing to have it modular ? Like shaping our own spells inside the grimoire giving a target/AOE/homing choosing between elements, crit or status focused... Maybe even having multiple spells inscribed in it and swapping them inside the mission just as the Hystrix switches between bullet types.

It would be fine to have few handcrafted version that are both good for something (e.g. good crit/status), has interesting gimmick or something.

12 hours ago, Famecans said:

+1

11 hours ago, Chewarette said:
11 hours ago, Pakaku said:

Its nature could very well lead to having many "alternate modes", on the contrary to guns that usually have 2 (or quite rarely 3). It could also have side-mechanics : I don't see this type of weapons use ammo, maybe it will pool from the Warframes' energy ?

And what's so interesting in using frame's energy?

11 hours ago, Flannoit said:
12 hours ago, Famecans said:

Other choices doesn't have much different stats. You get like crit, status, attack speed options then what you can do? Put -5% speed and get +5% status. It's not very interesting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chewarette said:
23 hours ago, quxier said:

And what's so interesting in using frame's energy?

Interesting I don't know, but it'd be unique at least.

It wouldn't be too much unique:

- ammo based needs ammo to pick up, can cheese (almost) with stuff like carrier or pizzas

- energy based needs energy orb to pick up, can speed it up with zenurik and other methods

It would be unique only in name.

13 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Having a modular weapon to have 5% more status or crits sounds interesting to you ?

No, modular system is bad in current form. Incarnon (at least Zariman, that I've tried) is more interesting but it has issues as well (doesn't work, semi-forces you to certain styles etc. I would just prefer few handcrafted weapons with all arcanes (especially zaws) available for all weapons.

On 2023-08-31 at 8:10 AM, Rafien said:

yesss ahh a beauty of a mind to my heart fr. Was also hoping for something like this. Hoping they'll make the upgrqdable system of the grimoire somewhat like the shield from Rising of the Shield Hero. that stuff is solid. Will also give us (a lot!) more grind opportunity

On 2023-08-31 at 9:22 AM, Chewarette said:

--

I'm all in for modular stuff, unless it comes with the useless Gilding Mechanics that is the worst thing that DE has ever invented: It doesn't bring anything to the table, prevents your weapon to be fully functional from rank 0 (have to rank it once before being able to have a correct build).

the whole HUD was dissabled during gameplay, they didn't reveal too much about its functions yet, obv because its a WIP