Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Neutralize ranks 10,13,17,20,20,20 meters? o.O

_Anise_

Not that hard for some stats on one out of over 1,000 mods to go unnoticed. Especially when you're dealing with an effectively worthless mod for an already rarely used system.

But DE definitely isn't going to notice if a bug report isn't made on it. Which has never happened according to forum search results.

but I am still curious how it happened ? did it used to have a longer range ? did they increase the ranks but forget to add new ranges ? has it always been like this and whoever coded it into the game was like a temp on work experience or something ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Because there's no bug here.

Three of the mods ranks display the same stat number. Either upgrading it past r3 does nothing or the text is incorrectly displayed. Either way there's some bug going on with the mod.

25 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

but I am still curious how it happened ? did it used to have a longer range ? did they increase the ranks but forget to add new ranges ? has it always been like this and whoever coded it into the game was like a temp on work experience or something ?

Development is never so simple that things like this can't happen. There's all sorts of possible reasons like the ranks getting increased post release or while in dev and someone forgot to change the stats, thought the stats were already adjusted, or somebody else was expected to and didn't get around to it.

Could have even always just been like this and it went unnoticed due to how few players actually report issues (as is the case with all games/services) and/or just from players maxing it instantly and not noticing the intermediate ranks. And however or whenever it happened it's not going to get noticed by DE without a bug report or them randomly deciding to audit all 1,200+ mods looking for issues like this.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

Hm… not even anything like patch notes to indicate its history.

Apparently there was a mod overhaul back in 2013 according to the mod page on the wiki; I wonder if that has anything to do with it

• Like 1

It's possible the wiki is wrong/incomplete.  Until 2022 there was a note about the cooldown decreasing with points in the mod, but then somebody changed it to 15 seconds.   Did they really test it at every rank, particularly 4 and 5, where seemingly nothing changes except the drain?

Maybe they did, I don't know.  I do know it's a pain in the arse to test, because I just tried and got fed up with it.  But it's hard to be sure, doggie AI being what it is.*

Anyway, conceivably the CD might decrease at ranks 4 and 5.  Or not.

*As it happens, the only way I can get it to consistently use Neutralize in the Sim is to spawn one enemy, let it get disarmed, kill it and spawn another at the console, and run back.  The minimum time I can get Snowball to race back and forth to disarm again: 15 seconds. But this is largely just limited by dog-o run speed and  AI.

Maybe I'll try later with Teleport

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 2

Precept mods really don't tell you everything about what you are really upgrading and how they fully work. (And quite a few other companions mods, which is a very well known issue by DE and is being addressed in the rework coming.)

I don't exactly remember for that one in particular, but usually there's definitely upgrades in the cooldowns which are not displayed in the mod description for absolutely no reason.

I'm 99% sure it's a matter of clarity and transparency about what the mod is doing rather than a bug or ranks up that would do nothing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, L3512 said:

Fixed the Vapor Trail K-Drive Mod’s Boost Speed buff being the same (+10) for both Rank 9 and 10. Rank 10 will now give +11 Boost Speed.

spinal tap GIF by Comic-Con HQ

1 hour ago, Rathalio said:

I'm 99% sure it's a matter of clarity and transparency about what the mod is doing rather than a bug or ranks up that would do nothing.

8 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Anyway, conceivably the CD might decrease at ranks 4 and 5.  Or not.

I had a dig though the comments, someone said "Tested and confirmed that increasing the level of this mod increases the range (from you) at which this can be cast, and decreases the cooldown on its use."

the listed cooldown is 15 seconds but someone in the comments said it was 10 seconds. so is it possible the last 3 ranks decrease the cooldown?  (also possible they still do nothing)

55 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

I had a dig though the comments, someone said "Tested and confirmed that increasing the level of this mod increases the range (from you) at which this can be cast, and decreases the cooldown on its use."

the listed cooldown is 15 seconds but someone in the comments said it was 10 seconds. so is it possible the last 3 ranks decrease the cooldown?  (also possible they still do nothing)

The issue though is that you have to test it to try to measure the difference but at the same time companions IA mess with it and are pretty poor candidate for testing efficiently. As even if the cooldown is refreshed that doesn't guarantee that your pet will immediately use its ability. I'm really looking forward the clarity and transparency update coming soon for companions, it should answer a lot of questions.

+And also measuring effective range is really really tedious.

Edited by Rathalio
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Apparently there was a mod overhaul back in 2013 according to the mod page on the wiki; I wonder if that has anything to do with it

This mod didn't exist in 2013. It's a kubrow mod; kubrows were added in 2014 and some species were even added later (can't remember for this species off the top of my head).

• Like 1

On 2023-09-16 at 2:37 AM, GrayArchon said:

This mod didn't exist in 2013. It's a kubrow mod; kubrows were added in 2014 and some species were even added later (can't remember for this species off the top of my head).

The plot thickens. I know we’ve got mods with the same exact effect with different costs, but this one seems like there’s more to it than simple oversight

• Like 1

There's one for Vulpaphylas that's awesome independent of rank. Makes no sense!

Here's an example: Panzer Devolution ... but I think the others are similar.

I mean, just think, if you max this one, you can do a whole 60 Viral damage! Wow!

Panzer Devolution rank effects Viral Damage it does: 15, 30, 45, and 60 Viral damage upon the Vulpaphyla's death.

The stat of player interest is the respawn time (which is unaffected by rank 🤣).

• Like 1