Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

warframe wiki is almost unusable

(PSN)moonlitxshadow

24 minutes ago, (PSN)moonlitxshadow said:

The warframe wiki is almost unusable due to the insane amount of ads on the page. God forbid you try to access it on mobile cuz that's even worse. Fandom is an awful hosting site. I'm probably just screaming into the storm but I think the community would be better served with a different host.

in many other places, wiki's are switching away from fandom, the minecraft wiki for example has also moved and is now hosted by https://weirdgloop.org/ 

as long as they don't move to fextralife. 

it's actually not bad with adblock, but with the amount of ads, adblock feels MANDATORY to use it at all. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, SDGDen said:

in many other places, wiki's are switching away from fandom, the minecraft wiki for example has also moved and is now hosted by https://weirdgloop.org/ 

as long as they don't move to fextralife. 

it's actually not bad with adblock, but with the amount of ads, adblock feels MANDATORY to use it at all. 

Oh god, I despise Fextralife. Their wikis are a sham and bloated with inaccurate garbage. It was bad enough that they flooded the Elden Ring wiki with BETA TEST information that ended up being extremely inaccurate (as a lot of people expected), but they did one 5000x worse with Baldur's Gate 3, which they flooded with DnD 5e information that a lot of which is either blatantly inaccurate for BG3 or straight up not present in BG3.

DE, if you ever move the official Warframe wiki, please for the love of Gauss go ANYWHERE but Fextra.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Flannoit said:

Oh god, I despise Fextralife. Their wikis are a sham and bloated with inaccurate garbage. It was bad enough that they flooded the Elden Ring wiki with BETA TEST information that ended up being extremely inaccurate (as a lot of people expected), but they did one 5000x worse with Baldur's Gate 3, which they flooded with DnD 5e information that a lot of which is either blatantly inaccurate for BG3 or straight up not present in BG3.

DE, if you ever move the official Warframe wiki, please for the love of Gauss go ANYWHERE but Fextra.

one good thing is that warframe's wiki is heavily dev-supported and well-moderated, so things should be pretty alright.

honestly, i'm kinda surprised DE hasn't self-hosted a wiki yet because if they self-host they can link it in-game as well.

• Like 4

Just now, SDGDen said:

one good thing is that warframe's wiki is heavily dev-supported and well-moderated, so things should be pretty alright.

honestly, i'm kinda surprised DE hasn't self-hosted a wiki yet because if they self-host they can link it in-game as well.

They probably don't want to have to approach coding that into an old as butt game like Warframe, but it'd be really nice!

18 hours ago, Myscho said:

AdBlock exists for reason

Yup. Going anywhere without AdBlock instantly reminds me why I have it. "This site wants your cookies!" No. "Sign up to our newsletter!" No. "We want to know your location!" No. "We want to give you push notifications!" No! Can I just access the site, please? "Of course. You can see it in this main slot size sliver of the screen, surrounded by autoplay ads on both sides and spaced out by banner adds ever 5 lines." Oh, FFS... "Oh, by the way, here's a video with sound playing in the bottom right, and also three alert bars at the bottom, too!"

Using the Steam Browser is a culture shock every time.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

The wiki isn't created by DE, so I'm not sure why you posted this in feedback to DE on their forums.

The Warframe wiki on Fandom states that it is the official Warframe wiki and there is even a glyph for the wiki. So I think it is fair to bring it up for discussion on the forums.

Now if this information isn't true then someone can go request the top-level editors/moderators on Fandom to change that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Numerounius said:

The Warframe wiki on Fandom states that it is the official Warframe wiki and there is even a glyph for the wiki. So I think it is fair to bring it up for discussion on the forums.

It is the officially recognized one and DE does provide information to help it get written. However DE staff do not write it, moderate it, guarantee that it is 100% up to date and accurate, or have control over the worsening layout and number of intrusive banners and ads on it. So it is officially unofficial, but none of the things being complained about in this thread are anything DE can do about it. Hiring people to edit the pages would have no affect on the ads and stuff on the pages, all it could affect is how quickly new information is added and perhaps bump up the accuracy of the information less than 1%.

• Like 5

On top of having an insane number of ads, they load one at a time and displace the page to slot themselves in once they're done. You have to wait about 10 seconds after the page loads for all of the ads to finish their Unholy Capitalism Dance, then they might deign to give you a third of your screen real estate.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

Oh man. I mostly ignored the Grimace madness, but that's just BS.

The one saving grace is that it was McDonalds itself that paid for the wiki vandalism, and DE isn't likely to do that. Though it does open the door for Fandom to be bribed into mucking about with any page.

• Like 1

Am 1.11.2023 um 20:36 schrieb (PSN)moonlitxshadow:

The warframe wiki is almost unusable due to the insane amount of ads on the page. God forbid you try to access it on mobile cuz that's even worse. Fandom is an awful hosting site. I'm probably just screaming into the storm but I think the community would be better served with a different host.

really now???? Is there now youth-free advertising??? So I have firefox with anti-adds addons, because you get BRAIN AIDS everywhere! You can FORGET YouTube without addons! I'm not going to watch 1-2 minutes of MENTAL Illness advertising for every 1 minute of video....................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnkq4_mVc5V0wycuc570u

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Malikili said:

Warframe Wiki shouldn't even be as important as it is
We need an actual IN GAME wiki, something the codex was SUPPOSED to be

Why would DE do it themselves, when the community does it for them without even having to ask?

Same logic for why Bethesda games have always been piles of buggy crap. Why fix issues, when the modding community will do it for them?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Why would DE do it themselves, when the community does it for them without even having to ask?

Same logic for why Bethesda games have always been piles of buggy crap. Why fix issues, when the modding community will do it for them?

I'm sad how this is so accurate

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Malikili said:

Warframe Wiki shouldn't even be as important as it is
We need an actual IN GAME wiki, something the codex was SUPPOSED to be

A wiki that any player could contribute to, accessible in game?  Or do you just mean an in game  info resource generated by DE?

4 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

A wiki that any player could contribute to, accessible in game?  Or do you just mean an in game  info resource generated by DE?

Simply an in game resource like a wiki. Something that shows anything useful and is encouraged to view like the wiki

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Malikili said:

Simply an in game resource like a wiki. Something that shows anything useful and is encouraged to view like the wiki

I wouldn't trust an in-game resource created by DE to be 10% as useful as the wiki is.  10% is probably very optimistic.  Of course the main reason it wouldn't be very useful is also the same reason it will never happen:  DE has too much other stuff to do.

The most I hope for some day is a linking system in game with the wiki, or a direct successor to it.  Eve Online had something like that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

The most I hope for some day is a linking system in game with the wiki,

That's dangerous though. If the wiki is hacked with malware or NSFW pictures, then that's a huge problem if the game has sent people to a site not under their control that is now sending people garbage. Then they've also got to make an emergency hotfix to stop sending people there which would be a problem in the middle of the afternoon during the week, even worse if it's 3 in the morning on a weekend. On PC they could at least get it done once someone is woken up and gets to work, but how long would it take on consoles?