The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are some better ways I can get rid of overguard quickly?

HealingMind

Question

I've been doing a lot of Zariman content lately, and I've been having a lot of trouble with Eximus  Units in the higher tier bounties. Once they start hitting the 80 range they become near impossible to just power through conventionally, even with their armor fully stripped, and the amps I built to fight Eidolons aren't much help either. They made kt out to be their huge weakness, but they don't seem to do much of anything to shields once they hit higher levels, and it gets easy to get overwhelmed with a bunch of CC-Immune walls of meat running around.

Thing is, seems like it isn't a problem for others, and I've seen a few ops just go in and delete the whole bar, and it isn't really spoken of as a major problem with the game
so I figured there must be some effective answer. I was thinking it was potentially my gun, but my weapons deal with enemies at this level fine other than the enemies with overguard.

12 answers to this question

Melee is the answer, and before anyone else says anything, no shotguns and the like do not help the same way a good melee weapon does. And while Meta like Glaive can work, I find it easier just to use any melee you find enjoyable. Nikana Prime or a Sepfahn build could work just as well. You can use a variety of them. 

To @HealingMind,

First I may not have fully understand your whole post so I'll give my Lazy method:

Against Overguard with operator :

1. I use operator main to trigger void's damage status Bullet Attractor. (like mag's one)
  2. I use the secondary (Phahd Scaffold) to throw a bung of Glaives that will stuck n' deal with the overguard.
  3. I Oneshot his regular shield with Focus/Unairu first ability Magnetic Flare with sugar on the top Caustic Strike (unairu 2nd) to rip his armor.

During 2, I can also use any Incarnon's damage to quickly rip Overshield as Bullet attractor will make 100% hits efficiency.

So the LAZY Combo is Amp First Status chance + Secondary Phahd Scaffold with Unairu School's abilities to Strip Shield and Armor.

The answer, like so many other things in WF, is...more damage.  Almost all the usual suspects, more base damage, more damage bonuses, more vulnerability, more attacks per second, more multishot, more crit, more status damage, more accuracy, etc.    One notable exception being viral status, since Overguard isn't health.  And a partial exception being bleed damage: this still affects Overguard, but it doesn't bypass it like it does armor.

A maybe not obvious thing is that units protected by Overguard still take body part damage multipliers to the Overguard layer.  So single target headshots are still really good.

Overguard does have the vulnerability to void damage too, so Xata's Whisper should be excellent. There might be great amps for this too, but I wouldn't know how effective they are compared to top tier weapons.

• Like 2

My personal answer is MORE DMG, Madurai levels of dmg to be exact with a flamethower amp and a seeking glaive secondary fire pop madurai 1 and melt the overguard of any level. can combo with 2 for more oomph oh and ofcourse Magus Melt for even more oomph and Eternal onslaught and virtuous strike for ALL the OOMPH when that madurai 1 is triggered

I strongly disagree with those who suggested melees because many guns have much more potential on headshots with little "preparation". Weapons like Epitaph, Kuva Chakkhurr and many incarnons can easily oneshot level 9999 overguard, which takes 12.4 millions damage, 15.5 if it's a Thrax. Even better if you have Xata's Whisper and a primed faction mod.

4 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Overguard does have the vulnerability to void damage too, so Xata's Whisper should be excellent. There might be great amps for this too, but I wouldn't know how effective they are compared to top tier weapons.

In my experience, the bonus to void damage doesn't work. I've only ever tried with Klamora prism (7xx), but it just doesn't do a damn thing to overguard across multiple tests.

25 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

In my experience, the bonus to void damage doesn't work. I've only ever tried with Klamora prism (7xx), but it just doesn't do a damn thing to overguard across multiple tests.

Because amps are weak compared to polarised guns lol. Try the ability Xata's Whisper and you'll see the difference, of course also Roar, Eclipse, Nourish, Shock Trooper etc. grant a relevant buff. 

3 hours ago, Hexerin said:

The 50% bonus is working in the Sim at least.  My amp does 50% more damage to Overguard than it does to Infested health on the same targets.  And Xata does 50% more damage on the void damage component

If you mean it's ineffective compared to weapons, I'm sure that's true depending on the amp, the level of the enemy, and what you're comparing it against.  Amps don't have anything remotely like the top end that weapons do.

All I can suggest to the OP is that you need stronger weapons and mods. If you're struggling against level 80 eximus, that's a sign you need to re-evaluate your loadout before you find yourself running Steel Path which will only compound your problems further.

I strongly recommend considering Kuva or Tenet weapons. Additionally, given that you're in the Zariman, the Incarnon weapons there would be most ideal. Phenmor and Laetum are powerhouses and will wreck eximus enemies very easily.

Another thing you should evaluate are your mods and arcanes. Do you have any Galvanized mods? If not, you should complete all star chart missions and run some Arbitrations for Vitus Essence in order to purchase the mods. They provide a massive damage boost and pairing them with Kuva/Tenet/Incarnon weapons will let you obliterate Eximus enemies with ease. For warframe arcanes, I suggest anything that buffs your main weapon. For weapon arcanes, get Merciless or Deadhead for your main gun.

How far along are you with subsuming frames using Helminth? If you want to minmax your damage to overguard, try taking Xata's Whisper. It gives bonus void damage which scales on ability strength. Overguard is weak to void damage, so it's a terrific ability for shredding it.

Just more damage. Thrax move pretty erratic so anything that relies on aiming/headshots if you lack some kind of slow or stun may not work very well.

I farmed SP Zariman content solo with zero forma Gauss and Innodem. Just swing swing and everything is dead. No armor strip needed (CO slash + priming)

Edited by Zakkhar