The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why can't Octavia copy from Dante's homework? (probably Neverwinter's too)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Venus-Venera said:

That's exactly what I mean. and where are the stats for 2024 that I mentioned?
You have to answer further questions:

1. What missions are they about?
  2. which servers
  3. which mode: normal or sp?
  4. etc.

that is common. and I can also play Warframe with my normal Loki from 2013/2014. and successfully too. Because Warframe game is very causal and CERTAIN Warframe is not the requirement...

Why would 2024 stats be out in May??

Also it can’t be broken down because their reported findings don’t go into a broken down detail, so “I” can’t provide more detail but it’s not hard to imagine they would go onto ever warframe players profile and calculate all frames usage per average on each player the point still remains, she not a ghost as you were basically implying, i see her very often in steep path circuit because with a minimal build octavia is still a spicy frame.

Edited by (PSN)FrDiabloFr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Or you could just play Dante and mind your own business.

Madurai, there is literally no reason for you to be this rude.

guess that one time you made a post apologizing for your behavior on the forums meant jack all lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Waeleto said:

Because then it'd require octavia players to actually PLAY the game, how dare you ask for such a thing smh ...

indeed

13 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Unlikely to happen with Octavia.   Her theme is "loop station".

You might get an actual "bard" frame eventually.  With exalted Shawzin as a weapon. 

I'd hope so 

7 hours ago, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

So just to be clear, and to highlight a flaw nobody else has touched on yet, you hit your first ability and half your screen gets flooded with the Duviri Shawzin Instructions? On top of all of the explosions and gas clouds that already make things difficult to see?

Pass.

The Mandacord as-is might just be one of the most unique powers in any MMO out there. People certainly let themselves get comfortable with one build, but that doesn't mean a frame only has one build, that's folks being lazy. I can't even imagine how you're supposed to move properly with the above mentioned power? Jump is a Shawzin string, attack is a Shawzin string, roll changes the chord, you'd need a controller with literally twice the amount of buttons for it to work. And that's exactly why this just won't work.

maybe if I use my imagination reaaaaal hard, I can picture DE making a Shawzin HUD especially made and simplified for this exalted?

like do you really think this is deal breaker issue? 

Posted (edited)

I like how they did bards in pillars of eternity.

You could choose the kind of songs that could play on loop , and they were split into stanzas so you could mix and match it (damage buff , defense buff , dot , healing) 

You could also have multiple songs saved so you could switch between offense ,defense and support on the fly. And there was a lingering effect so it there was a small overlap between stanzas.

Looking at the trends they will not be reworking Octavia as she is already popular (and strong) enough , 

But we may get another proper bard.

In warframes mechanics  ,

similar to dante , every ability cast could have some effect associated and every combination of two abilities does something , the game remembers the last 4 abilities cast and puts it in a loop giving different effects (that could be the passive).

It can work pretty well I think.

Edited by 0_The_F00l

6 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

maybe if I use my imagination reaaaaal hard, I can picture DE making a Shawzin HUD especially made and simplified for this exalted?

like do you really think this is deal breaker issue? 

Covered in the second paragraph. Keep reading. Try and concentrate reaaàal hard on the thing described as "unique"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

Covered in the second paragraph. Keep reading. Try and concentrate reaaàal hard on the thing described as "unique"

well the point is that I was trying to bring the mandachord in missions, using the Shawzin idea as a method.

but thinking about it right now, it kinda makes sense for mmos because they already have a special UI for abilities and mechanics that's minimized and suited to not prevent it from clogging the screen.

but I think DE can make the same effort similar to other UI's they've made like Gauss' battery, and, well, Dante!

9 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

I'd hope so 

But if you really care about design, abilities and all that, I recommend to actually create a concept and post it in respective section of the Forums.   Otherwise you might get another "not what i wanted".

For example, abilities:

If...

1st ability summons Shawzin, and you can use it as a weapon (what kind of weapon? melee, ranged or both?), then...

2nd ability should allow you to sit and play complex melodies, making you invisible or give you constant overguard regeneration if you play good.

Because Exalted Shawzin would be boring if its not possible to play it mid combat.... And you must also remember about Controllers and their limited inputs, and Shawzin UI being pretty huge.

About looks.....Helmet that looks like Japanese "kasa",  "tengai-gasa".    Shawzin's design is japanese x chinese, and "kasa" type hats were worn in both China and Japan.

Huge variety of different shapes and types of these hats allow for many alt helmets.

That's just what comes to mind 1st.   It would probably go well with Edo armor and such.     I would also like a Shawzin skin for Nikana, where Shawzin is a sheathe, and blade is hidden inside. 

3 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

well the point is that I was trying to bring the mandachord in missions, using the Shawzin idea as a method.

but thinking about it right now, it kinda makes sense for mmos because they already have a special UI for abilities and mechanics that's minimized and suited to not prevent it from clogging the screen.

but I think DE can make the same effort similar to other UI's they've made like Gauss' battery, and, well, Dante!

Except your idea still makes no sense whatsoever.

You just described Incorporating the Mandacord into your Shawzin Idea. So what is the Mandacord? It's a device you use to pre-record 3 tracks or seeds which automatically plays once you use 3 powers that Octavia has.

Your idea is you manually playing the Shawzin, and before we go any further into a description we've already hit an impassable roadblock. Your Manual idea vs the Mandacord being Automatic.

Put simply, you're not actually describing a change to the Mandacord at all, you're describing a power that works completely differently to how the Mandacord works. Your ability has far more in common with Mirages Eclipse than it does to any of Octavias powers. Both powers having something to do with Music does not automatically make them similar.

And that's why it's a pass for me. Your idea essentially asks to remove at least 90% of what the Mandacord actually is in order to implement it. And let's not even get started on how it opens up a brand new avenue for Trolls to start annoying people by playing constant ear aching music. That's even before we get to the fact that you can't minimise the UI of this power to Dantes level considering folks with sight disabilities would find it hard to see, never mind use.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Or you could just play Dante and mind your own business.

This post is straightforward and to the point IMO.

7 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Fair enough my bad.

I wouldn't, a few of us at a guess would be thinking the top quote, I know I was, I call a spade a spade, and don't give a crap, people just think grumpy old fart.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Venus-Venera said:

That's exactly what I mean. and where are the stats for 2024 that I mentioned?
You have to answer further questions:

1. What missions are they about?
  2. which servers
  3. which mode: normal or sp?
  4. etc.

None of that really matters and quite obvious 2024 stats wont be available when we are currently in may of 2024. Usage is still usage and you can strack in back to uhm 2020 and she sits as high or higher in usage position. 

And if we go about it the correct way, the frame overall (prime+normal) has higher usage than Saryn, Titania and Mesa, and nearly tied with Khora during 2023. 

7 hours ago, Kainosh said:

But if you really care about design, abilities and all that, I recommend to actually create a concept and post it in respective section of the Forums.   Otherwise you might get another "not what i wanted".

that doesn't work out I'm afraid, I used to spend a lot of time on fan concepts tab, because I appreciate all the concepts there, but I realized that this tab is kind of pointless...and I've had greater chances at suggesting a K-drive frame here to DE than I have at fan concepts.

4 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

This post is straightforward and to the point IMO.

I wouldn't, a few of us at a guess would be thinking the top quote, I know I was, I call a spade a spade, and don't give a crap, people just think grumpy old fart.  

I mean @Madurai-Prime didn't really go too far at all, I didn't get offended by it, I was confused because it seemed unnecessary reaction for a post in which i said this this: "you know I could be completely wrong and this is unnecessary for some people"

I know some people wouldn't like it, but some people here seem to do.
but like I read this, and said "the hell did i do now :o"

as a final note, I do get the urge to tell people to buzz off from their favorite frame, I get it, so no worries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prof-Dante said:

at fan concepts.

Never said you should post it in "fan concepts".....after all, warframes are not fans. 

What I mean is that you gotta make sure They got it.  How you do that, is entirely up to you.

DE do check forums (feedback at least) and they totally write some of the ideas down.  Better ideas have better chances of leaving the "inspiration" inside the heads of their designers.    A lot of latest frames was made out of "rework threads" for other frames actually. 

18 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

I mean @Madurai-Prime didn't really go too far at all, I didn't get offended by it, I was confused because it seemed unnecessary reaction for a post in which i said this this: "you know I could be completely wrong and this is unnecessary for some people"

I know some people wouldn't like it, but some people here seem to do.
but like I read this, and said "the hell did i do now :o"

as a final note, I do get the urge to tell people to buzz off from their favorite frame, I get it, so no worries.

All good I wasn't trying to be rude, except in a way like bugga off, I like it the way she is. :tongue:

Though it does get my goat when players scream for a Warframe change in another thread and you look them up and they have only really ranked the frame to the max rank of said frame, then I think bad thoughts. :devil:

Posted (edited)
On 2024-05-18 at 5:07 AM, Prof-Dante said:

obviously you can move while playing because otherwise that would be really impractical.

And, please tell me, how in the hell is this supposed to work?  Especially on a controller, which already has every button mapped out and very little to spare in terms of what could be over-written while the ability is in use.

What button are players going to need to hit in order to play the note and how are they going to do anything else in the game when they have to spazz out in a corner to hit the various modifiers to the notes?

This basically tells Octavia players "Hey, go sit in a corner and be completely unable to interact with the game so you can play whatever song the game gives you to play if you actually want to get anything out of her since you won't be able to walk or fire or do anything else as you vainly attempt to hit the notes at hte right time with all the flashes and other effects completely obscurring your vision!"

and this is your buff ability, with the same buffs as metronome.

Which the actual octavia player won't be able to partake in as they have to spazz out and hit all these other buttons on time....meaning that they can't get the buff they want?  After all in order to get the buffs you need to focus on playing your music meaning you can't actually take advantage of your buffs since you have to constantly just focus on the song notes and nothing else.....

The difference between this and Dante is that Dante's final verse is his priority ability, that cannot be swapped, while Octavia, it's her first.

Conversely:
Unlike Dante, who has a nice and easy method for dictating what abilities go off and can cycle them quite comfortably, even on a controller, Octavia will need to sit in a corner and play a careful timing minigame instead of actually playing the game in any meaningful way.

Dante works because he is simple.  You cast two abilities and then can use a third based on what you cast before.  And you have limited combinations.
The idea you have here?  Much too complicated and requires the player to essentially do nothing outside of playing a timing minigame in order to actually get the benefits of their abilities which precludes them from doing much else in the game.
Also this makes the various mandachord customization's to the songs you want to play impractical due to how they would completely change what notes you have to hit and when....meaning you are even more limited because if you pick a song with a bunch of notes you need to hit to do anything you have even less of a chance of participating in the mission!  meanwhile if you pick a song with the absolute bare minimum number of notes, even if it sounds annoying to you and everyone else in the mission, you might actually be able to do things between notes!

And if you have some way to avoid the "Sit in a corner and pay attention to these notes in a timing minigame that makes your screen even busier and harder to see things on, to buff your squad instead of actually doing anything else....." please share because what you describe would lead to that to being the best way to play octavia.

Edited by Tsukinoki
  • Like 1