Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

anyone else becoming a "Descendant" as well as a Tenno?

WAAAY back into last year, there was a Beta for a F2P online looter shooter called The First Descendant, made by Nexon. yes it's Korean, and a lot of Warframe's ideas had been well, not copied, but inspiration was definitley taken. when i played it, I personally had a great time; it was by far the most stable Beta I'd ever played, and practically felt like a finished game. gameplay felt incredibly good, visuals were nice, and it seemed like a lot of fun! 

the game will now officially release on July 2nd, and I'm just curious if anybody else is planning on giving it a try? or if you also played the Beta? any ideas which characters you might go for? feel free to discuss!

I tested beta. It was just meh. The movement was weirdly somehow simultaneously fast and slow. Plus 27 different kinds of ammo littering the ground and none being what you needed was silly. Since I heard they were going to fix that sort of stuff before they released, I'll likely give them another chance. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

WAAAY back into last year, there was a Beta for a F2P online looter shooter called The First Descendant, made by Nexon. yes it's Korean, and a lot of Warframe's ideas had been well, not copied, but inspiration was definitley taken. when i played it, I personally had a great time; it was by far the most stable Beta I'd ever played, and practically felt like a finished game. gameplay felt incredibly good, visuals were nice, and it seemed like a lot of fun! 

the game will now officially release on July 2nd, and I'm just curious if anybody else is planning on giving it a try? or if you also played the Beta? any ideas which characters you might go for? feel free to discuss!

tbO51Ic.png

Yesterday, I saw this. I will start to install and play this game tonight!

Having leveled a character to max level I gottas say. One thing they do massively better than warframe is gameplay. The void intercept bosses are extremely fun and actually engaging, unlike the bullet sponge trash that is warframe boss fights. The gameplay in general feels challenging enough and the levels are cool looking. 

Shame about the lack of trading, but it is a Nexon game after all. The droprates and grind seem okay so far. Only thing I actually dislike is that color pigments are actually consumeables.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, yeahnil said:

Having leveled a character to max level I gottas say. One thing they do massively better than warframe is gameplay. The void intercept bosses are extremely fun and actually engaging, unlike the bullet sponge trash that is warframe boss fights. The gameplay in general feels challenging enough and the levels are cool looking. 

Shame about the lack of trading, but it is a Nexon game after all. The droprates and grind seem okay so far. Only thing I actually dislike is that color pigments are actually consumeables.

I watched someone playing during those boss fights. I seriously doubt WF players will survive such gameplay when you see the forums lit up with panic because of an annoying green beam 😜. Seriously though, I installed it already, no harm in checking it out. It seems insteresting, I just wish melee was more engaging from what I witnessed so far.

Edited by Alpha_Tango
Typo

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Alpha_Tango:

I watched someone playing during those boss fights. I seriously doubt WF players will survive such gameplay when you see the forums lit up with panic because of an annoying green beam 😜. Seriously though, I installed it already, no harm in checking it out. It seems insteresting, I just wish melee was more engaging from what I witnessed so far.

True. They'd lose their minds. The bosses are hard progress checks and a lot of people are getting filtered by the dead bride & devourer right now. Forces them to improve. Melee is sadly nonexistent. Each Descendant has a mod slot for his or her melee attack, which functions like the aura slot and increases your mod capacity. The effects you get out of them is negligible at best. The gunplay and abilities are fine though. Less spammy but actually impactful. It feels more like a game and less like a rush through a map simulator. 

9 hours ago, yeahnil said:

Seeing this, how is this engaging and not bullet sponge trash? Just the same formula of bosses having enough health to take shots for 10 minutes

• Like 3

vor 6 Stunden schrieb TheArmchairThinker:

Seeing this, how is this engaging and not bullet sponge trash? Just the same formula of bosses having enough health to take shots for 10 minutes

Play the game beyond the first two zones and you'll realize that there's actual combat gameplay beyond the powercrept snorefest that is wareframe. The only reason it has this many players still, is sunk cost fallacy. Every 'new' piece of content we get is the same thing reskinned over and over.

• Like 1

On 2024-07-03 at 9:04 AM, yeahnil said:

This game scratches an itch to grind that's for sure. Match-ups seem stable so far and after dealing with a Collossi, my Viesa (Frost equivalent) is 24 now. The gameplay is typical looter shooter with a fair amount of challenge involved which is great actually. Abilities mostly assist in controlling mobs but it is the robust weapon system that deals most of the damage. Pretty decent so far. Not sure if I will commit yet. Until I get a general feel of how Nexon operates, allegedly scummy, I'll decide on that later on. Good game from what I experienced so far.

WF trumps it in terms of how they monetize their game though. I haven't bought their battle pass yet so I have no idea if it's worth it.

Game is just okay imo. Gameplay is fun, getting new loot and replacing it all the time is fine. Just not so hot about the monetization. Hopefully I can grind for the stuff like new characters and weapons. I'm not holding my breath that the grind will be fair however, ik how Korean games are. If the drop rates for stuff I need for progression is abysmally low to force me to use the shop, I probably just won't continue to give it time. Imo game is at least 6/10. 

Posted (edited)

I've had my fill on bad grind with warframe, I don't need another grind game in my life that copies WF in an even worse way

The characters also seem like they are going to be completely obnoxious to listen to

Edited by Pakaku
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

I'm not holding my breath that the grind will be fair however, ik how Korean games are. If the drop rates for stuff I need for progression is abysmally low to force me to use the shop, I probably just won't continue to give it time. Imo game is at least 6/10. 

Hard mode (Steel Path equivalent)doesn't have any matching at all. So you are forced to do "dungeons" solo when you need a friend the most 😆. Only Boss/Collossi fights allow a full group of four players.  So you have to LFG instead of joining randoms like what we have here.

Edited by Alpha_Tango

I've started it yesterday, something about the animations feel pretty rigid especially the grappling hook, you don't really feel the impact of it either it just shows up and pulls you.

I still have to play more since I barely started to comment on the gameplay more. Also every time I close the game it resets my settings but that's something that'll get fixed eventually.

6 hours ago, Alpha_Tango said:

Hard mode (Steel Path equivalent)doesn't have any matching at all. So you are forced to do "dungeons" solo when you need a friend the most 😆. Only Boss/Collossi fights allow a full group of four players.  So you have to LFG instead of joining randoms like what we have here.

5/10 starting to lose me already. 

Posted (edited)
On 2024-07-03 at 1:56 PM, yeahnil said:

The bosses are hard progress checks and a lot of people are getting filtered by the dead bride & devourer right now. Forces them to improve. 

Hah! I just got passed Devourer. After maybe 8-10 times of trying with randoms (I lost count). It was a toxic and testy skill/gear check fun boss fight. It all came down to me eagerly learning how to properly remove a cover shielding the weak points to make it softer to gun down for the kill. Dead Bride was a bit easier even when it is resistant to Viessa's abilities.

So, every Descendant including the Ultimates (prime version) can be farmed although difficult to grind with LFG missions gatekeeping your progress. There is no in-game currency you can earn, zero trading and the grind for forma/Potato equivalent is tedious and costs too much if you swipe. I am using familiar terms we have here because it has a system very similar to cramming mods by changing polarities on your Descendant and weapons. After maxing a character, there are easy ways to level up other Descendants with a Helene/Hydron defence version for instance. 

It is a good distraction while waiting for anything to happen here. Gameplay is fun, fast-paced and challenging. However, I doubt its' initial success will last especially if Nexon continue not having random match-ups in Hard content as well as gouged prices from its stores, I heard Nexon just axes their games the moment it becomes unprofitable so I'll enjoy it while it lasts .😎

Edited by Alpha_Tango
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Alpha_Tango said:

Hah! I just got passed Devourer. After maybe 8-10 times of trying with randoms (I lost count).

Same, As Ajax, I kept reviving my fellow teammates and passed Devourer one time.

On 2024-07-04 at 11:27 AM, TheArmchairThinker said:

It's a new game vs an old game, so the bullet sponge trash is new and different and exciting.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, L3512 said:

It's a new game vs an old game, so the bullet sponge trash is new and different and exciting.

Yeah, the trash bosses do become bullet sponges quickly. But it is an old concept that leads to failure if you don't know what you are doing.  

It is different in a way that most tilesets happen in the open where you don't hit your head in a door jamb while trying to do battle. Even in-door tilesets are humongous. It is something that I wanted so much for our own Zephyr, flying warframes and even the Operator. We do have three Open worlds that harbour gigantic bosses, but why stop there? We need more tilesets that will let Necramechs and Archwings display their prowess and do some insane transitions when doing battle Tridolon style.  

TFD's freedom of movement reminds me of the nut physics in the anime Attack on Titan where your grappling skill becomes important to position yourself for a strategic advantage, movement or swing around a pillar to hide yourself from incoming damage. Killing a Colossi also involves grappling onto them like the nape of the Titans to abuse their weakness and bypass a lot of "sponge." I do miss doing void slings and bullet jumps sometimes but the gameplay had grappling in mind as an important menu in traversing Ingris.

Also, trading seems to be on the horizon.

Spoiler

OK, on to EDA now for me. 

Posted (edited)

New part-time Descendant here. That being said, I'm still fully on Team Tenno.

Why? Because this game isn't gonna last longer than two years. Calling it now.

The First Descendant has solid gameplay, mechanics, and progression. A lot of it may be copy-and-pasted from Warframe, but maybe that's why us Tenno don't seem to have a hard time jumping into that game. That being said, I don't have a lot of hope for the game's life because of one thing - Nexon. Had it been any other publisher besides Nexon, this game might have a bright future and could be a very strong contender for Warframe in the looter shooter genre. One look at those outrageous prices you see in their Premium Cash Shop ingame and you can see why. I get it, companies need to make money and pay its employees, but how TFD does microtransactions here and there and with ludicrous prices to boot is NOT the way to do it. 

Quite frankly, Nexon are the Corpus of the real world every negative aspect you can think of from greed-driven profits to predatory business practices. The life cycle of their games generally goes as follows: launch title -> milk and exploit consumers with mtx to recuperate production costs -> continue feeding mtx -> shut down servers when game is no longer profitable -> rinse and repeat. This happened with Dragon Nest, Maplestory 2, Kart Rider, Dark and Darker, SinoAlice, DFO, Combat Arms, and Dirty Bomb.

The only games they've retained since the early 2000s are Maplestory, Vindictus, and Mabonogi and even the quality of those three have generally been agreed by many to have gone downhill since their early days. Earlier this year, Nexon got caught and fined by Korea's FTC for their Deceptive Loot Box Practices in Maplestory because they were tampering with drop tables behind the backs of their playerbase.

Until Nexon learns to take a page from DE's playbook and respect their playerbase as consumers, this game isn't gonna last. I don't see the former happening before the latter either, considering this same company at one point rejected Warframe as a title when DE were looking for publishers back in 2011 simply because of some BS notion that sci-fi games don't do well in the F2P market (at least back then apparently). Needless to say, that turned out to be a very stupid business decision and should tell you all you need to know about their company vision.

Edited by ZiIIion
  • Like 6