Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Anime

Quasar-Sandwich

The best angel to take a Warframe based animated movie or show would not be from view of the Tenno. Yes you can get away with silent protagonist, where the story is conveyed by action and context. However the danger is it just becoming a sequence of action clips. That's not a story, that's a Newgrounds Flash animation. We also have that in game... not much story going on there.

A better Warframe Anime/Manga would need to involve the Tenno sympothiezers, the Lotus agents, the 'normal' people of Origin. The idea of franchise spin-off projects is to help support the core franchise and do things it is either not suited to do, or is struggling to do. Telling the stories of the 'normal' people crushed between the Grineer, Corpus, and Infestation is not something the Game will ever likely do well with. An anime/manga is a perfect venue for adding detail to Origin.

The best angel to take a Warframe based animated movie or show would not be from view of the Tenno. Yes you can get away with silent protagonist, where the story is conveyed by action and context. However the danger is it just becoming a sequence of action clips. That's not a story, that's a Newgrounds Flash animation. We also have that in game... not much story going on there.

A better Warframe Anime/Manga would need to involve the Tenno sympothiezers, the Lotus agents, the 'normal' people of Origin. The idea of franchise spin-off projects is to help support the core franchise and do things it is either not suited to do, or is struggling to do. Telling the stories of the 'normal' people crushed between the Grineer, Corpus, and Infestation is not something the Game will ever likely do well with. An anime/manga is a perfect venue for adding detail to Origin.

Kind of like Animatrix then?

Kind of like Animatrix then?

That would be one method. It does save on the need to creat a larger sweeping narrative. A set of shorts can have themes as simple as "not dying in the next 20 minutes." The point of view character reaching and successfully using an escape pod on a ship being raided by Tenno/Grineer/Infested would be sufficient plot. You don't need major character development, you do not need to explain large swaths of lore. In a sense this is what the Trailers for Warframe are.

Another would be to follow a set of characters who's path intersects with various Tenno. How the Tenno are used is important. Current the Lore (what little and as fractured as it is) the Tenno are portrayed as almost Arthurian, the magical saivors who will return and vanquish the evil empire. For the Grineer they a boggymen and half-remembered prophetical terrors. This is getting muddled with "space mercenaries" and self appointed "balance keepers". A longer series interacting with different aspects of the Tenno Saviors/Terrors/Mercenaries/'Police' would offer a way to both develop the point of view characters used, the context of Origin, the Tenno, and maybe if we're lucky tell a decent story as well.

Edited by Brasten

But, there can't be because Warframe isn't Japanese.

Untrue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltora_Quest_(series)'>Deltora Quest is a children's book series written by an Australian author and later became a short http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltora_Quest_(anime)'>anime series that was even licensed in the US and Canada. There are many other examples of works just like this. So as the stereotype goes, anything can be an anime. 

Edited by DJ_Redwire

question:

Why does it have to be an anime?

Why not a normal cartoon? Like X-men, Transformers, etc.?

Because they're generally low quality animations with a huge focus on details that really don't add to the few frames that are present per episode.

I'm not saying Rogue wasn't hot.  Yellow and green never looked so sexy, but the animation of most "serious" American cartoons is bleh.  I swear Adult Swim is aware of this, which is why their originals make a point to just come off as absurdly poor quality animations which actually give the animations some charm.

I see a Warframe anime as being similar to the Animatrix, The Dark Knight Returns, or even the Halo anime series.  A series of shorts.  Some highlighting the Tenno's bad-assness for the sake of highlighting it.  Some having a more emotional approach.  Some having a stupidly ridiculous artistic style with no real plot worth remembering behind it.  And maybe a goofy short full of silly, like Stalker, Ruk, and Alad V playing their version of Magic the Gathering using mod cards.

Edited by Littleman88

I'd like it to be animated just like in the Profit trailer. But with a lot more of it. Like red vs blue 10 min eps. Longer and better fights. Would be great if they had an episode of stalker vs Excalibur. Open the fight with them Slash Dashing each other. Long drawn out fights. This needs to happen. Go. Now. DE drop whatever you're doing and make this a part of your company. Get them to work ASAP.

Would also be an amazing way to showcase the Lore in this game.

Edited by Reku1

There are a few animations I have seen that had silent characters and it could work at least for the warframes the enemies are fine to talk they could even enlighten the viewer as to what is going on like a couple of guards swapping horror stories about the Tenno while they guard an artifact and then they hear a noise. XD

Edited by OmegaDrago

They need to make a warframe anime. With chibi ova's and all. Like the halo anime... but with less stupid.

Come on japan, I know your wasting your time with much dumber sh!t, I think its not too much to ask for something like this.

PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT 

this looks close to actual warframe anime from 5 minutes in the first episode haha but please check also 
  its the closest i ever seen to Warframe.. xD

PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT 

this looks close to actual warframe anime from 5 minutes in the first episode haha but please check also 
  its the closest i ever seen to Warframe.. xD

Warframe Anime in Blassreiter style? Heck yes.

Honestly those youtube vids don't do the thing justice, Watched on a TV and with a DvD, The 3D animations look almost game worthy.

And I really don't see how silent Frames would be an issue. If the artist is good enough, And the story writer, You can easily convey many emotions without talking.

• 3 months later...

I think a warframe anime would be amazing. I've been wanting it to happen ever since I got the game. The only thing is that, like a few people have said, it would be weird to see the Tenno talking but who cares, it would be awesome and companies like funimation always come up with good voices for characters even in a predicament like this one. Basically I'm trying to say that a warframe anime would be the best thing ever made

I've got mixed feelings with regards to the idea of a Warframe anime. I generally dislike animes I watch, and there are an extreme few that I've actually liked out of the many I've looked into. And by a few, I mean only 3, maybe 4 I've genuinely liked (the vast majority I've come across I either had no interest in or outright despised). It's simply a medium of entertainment that rarely appeals to me.

However, the idea itself of getting a spin-off of the game doesn't sound so bad. I personally would like to see it done in the same style as Samurai Jack, though as far as I understand, this somehow doesn't constitute "anime," in its current definition. 

Edited by BizarreFetalChimpanzee

I personally think that a good way to make a warframe anime would be have an episode for each planet with some episodes for plain and simple normal stuff that goes on in every day life with a few problems here and there. It just sounds like a good idea to me

Warframe Anime in Blassreiter style? Heck yes.

Honestly those youtube vids don't do the thing justice, Watched on a TV and with a DvD, The 3D animations look almost game worthy.

And I really don't see how silent Frames would be an issue. If the artist is good enough, And the story writer, You can easily convey many emotions without talking.

I also agree with this idea as well as many others