Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's Your Worst Melee?

Aaryl

Hmmm I'm a player who meaninglessly levels every weapon just for master rank, I maxed every Primary and secondary available in the game currently, but 18 melees are left to go.

I used to level my melees using Loki easily, but leveling melee in solo is certainly not a enjoying stuff....It gets quite boring actually.

So far, even with Loki, there were some melees could not be saved. Because it's way too bad for it to be saved....Glaive, Bo.

(I don't use Glaive charge attack! because it takes time!)

So - what's your worst melee?

Hmmm I'm a player who meaninglessly levels every weapon just for master rank, I maxed every Primary and secondary available in the game currently, but 18 melees are left to go.

I used to level my melees using Loki easily, but leveling melee in solo is certainly not a enjoying stuff....It gets quite boring actually.

So far, even with Loki, there were some melees could not be saved. Because it's way too bad for it to be saved....Glaive, Bo.

So - what's your worst melee?

I don't think you understand the purpose of a glaive if you're not using it's charge attack..

Dark dagger for me. Dmg too small, aspd too slow, hitbox too thin.

I absolutely loathed the Obex and Kogake, especially Obex.  I also didn't like Machete.

I went through all the alert weapons way back in the day, when I found melee more useful in general because you didn't have everyone with Energy Siphon, the Hek was the end-all-be-all of guns, I didn't have potatoes on everything and a huge collection of maxed mods, and you had innately armor-piercing weapons and blades that did 4x damage to infestation.  I played solo and used cover a lot back then, too, so it was real handy to be able to round a corner and catch a crewman off-guard there, then dart back around before I was exposed for too long.

I actually enjoyed the Bo way back when, too, because it was useful for sliding into enemies and knocking them all down, plus it was armor-ignore.  Furax was also fun--when leveling through it I'd go invisible as Loki, turn on Punch-Out music, and then just go around charge attacking Grineer in the face.

Edited by AhziDahaka

I think it matters which frame is being used as well. Loki is one frame what will make even things with short range usable... :)

For some single swords (like Heat Sword), I actually had quite a lot of fun after maxing its speed (and range), then using a fast frame. No matter the actual effectiveness, the attack speed and the ability to slice through an enemy column with a flurry of slashes felt satisfactory (normal attacks). The AOE on slam attack is pretty decent as well. Add in Loki invis with inherent crit bonus and it becomes a real monster. I actually prefer this over more powerful but slower weapons.

Daggers, with status and speed maxed is also fun somewhat. Taking down stunlocked ancients with teeny butter knives has its own kind of satisfaction.

For Gauntlet types, I started out disliking them .. until I found that it needs to be complemented with styles (though prob outdated once melee 2 comes out). A somewhat effective (for me) way of using is to use it with a fast frame of far jump ability, and using only normal attacks (again, Loki comes up top):

1. Use long forward flip to close distance fast (can't remember the control consciously, think it is pressing forward, couch (sprint?) then jump? it will create a forward flip that is longer that normal forward flip or jump)

2. Before landing, release buttons and perform ground slam attack.

3. With luck, the slam attack will knock down enemies in the area, and finish them up with fast normal attacks/finishing blows.

4. If more enemies survive then I can finish, long jump away to another spot (to attack another cluster), then repeat again.

Using the above method, the rapid movement helps in dodging enemy attacks, and the slam attack prevents most enemy retaliation.

But avoid anything poisonous or explodes... (Trinity won't fit well here, due to speed)

But one thing I still hate, even after adding the Loki factor, are whips.  The idea is nice, and perhaps stats are decent (? can't really tell from feel) but the current animation, speed etc made them feel kinda awkward. So this is probably my "worst melee". Maybe when they are improved in the future...

Edited by smithf

THE GLAIVE, BAD?  YOU DO HAYDEN SHAME.

Dude, that does at least 1000 damage for me, against gunners and such.  The glaive is the best melee weapon in the game!

Any of the gauntlets are painful for me to use

I don't like single swords largely to their current, uninteresting animations (probably will change with melee 2, though). 

Not a big fan of the Dual Zorens (I don't like zorencoptering all that much, so I opt for different melees that actually do damage). 

Hate the whips because, at the end of the day, they're swords with botched hitboxes.

- Lecta and Scoliac. Absolutely awful hitboxes and attack pacing; they're basically longswords minus any advantage that longswords may have.

- Galatine. It just feels disproportionate; you've got the giant-&#! hunk of metal accompanied by lightning-fast regular attacks and the stupidly long charge attack (whose swing, by the way, is also disproportionately fast). I could never get a good feel of the weapon. The fact that you can't slide while doing the charged swing (an ability that Orthos can pull off just fine) didn't help one bit, either.

- Kogake and Obex. Animations were tedious and the polar opposite of the "ninja/martial artist" feel that they tried so hard to achieve. Attacks felt weak, mobility was nonexistent, and their only true advantage (wall punches) is hindered by the fact that players will stop dead in the air during wall attacks for no discernible reason.

I tried to find something that I enjoyed about these weapons, but I couldn't.

Edited by SortaRandom

THE GLAIVE, BAD?  YOU DO HAYDEN SHAME.

Dude, that does at least 1000 damage for me, against gunners and such.  The glaive is the best melee weapon in the game!

I have to agree on this give it charge speed, charge damage, and decrease bounce to the max. You get one wicked, rapid fire weapon. Glaive truly is one of the best weapons in the game.

I feel like the only person who actually really enjoys the Kogake

Ironically, the Furax were completely insufferable. I couldn't even bring myself to get them to 30. Those, and the Amphis.

if you even managed to get Furax to level 30 you are a patient, patient person... I couldn't even do it... (its that bad...)

Edited by Arlayn