The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like Ultimates?

Lunamaniac

Just to clarify I have no problem with other people liking ultimates, but when I am making a build I never equip them.  It's not even wholly rational but none of these large scale aoe destroyers appeal to me, I've never even used Zephyr's or Hydroid's despite owning them and having lots of fun with all their other abilities.

They're strong but you have so little control over them that I don't find them satisfying to use.

I personally use the large scale AoE ults to wipe lower level mobs when I'm rushing a level or just for sheer damage on higher levels mobs if I need it and can't comfortably shoot/melee the enemies from where I'm standing. (Crush is very useful in this regard against non-Corpus enemies, as it doesn't require LoS like Pull does.)

At higher level play, I tend to use more utility based ults like Radial Disarm and Vortex, though. You can even find a bit of utility in the more damage based ones, especially if they stop enemies from doing anything while the move is being cast. (Crush, Reckoning, and Stomp can make good large scale emergency CC if you're running Mag/Oberon/Rhino for example, and Shadows of the Dead is actually a great way to protect a Cryopod or throw enemies off your trail as Nekros while getting a few Codex scans in.)

Edited by ZephyrPhantom

Just to clarify I have no problem with other people liking ultimates, but when I am making a build I never equip them.  It's not even wholly rational but none of these large scale aoe destroyers appeal to me, I've never even used Zephyr's or Hydroid's despite owning them and having lots of fun with all their other abilities.

They're strong but you have so little control over them that I don't find them satisfying to use.

Agreed with the control part. Abilities that give player more control would add to the overall dynamism of gameplay, instead of a press-to-win button.

Unfortunately, the only abilities that do this are what... Tail Wind/Divebomb, Spore, Electric Shield, Sonar and a few others.

If only more abilities could reward players for putting in effort. I don't consider pushing a button an effort.

You are far from being alone. But I think a lot (most ?) people (like me) equip them no matter what, and simply use them from time to time when things get tense.

Agreed with the control part. Abilities that give player more control would add to the overall dynamism of gameplay, instead of a press-to-win button.

Unfortunately, the only abilities that do this are what... Tail Wind/Divebomb, Spore, Electric Shield, Sonar and a few others.

If only more abilities could reward players for putting in effort. I don't consider pushing a button an effort.

I completely agree on this. Less click to win, more aiming for, new "super mode" like hysteria and such, more utility etc.

Depend on which 4 you're talking about.

Many of these ultimates are pointless to use. Any ultimates that deal direct, unscale damage are usually pointless to equip due to endless scale problem. Zephyr, Rhino, Nova are the three that I use their ultimate due to additional CC/buff/debuff. Zephyr is increasingly unpopular due to Tornado send my rare mod and Argon crystal flying to netherealm. Piss my &#! off. Radial disarm is golden against ranged enemies but pointless against Infest so it's 50/50.

So, no. I haven't been in love with most 4 for a long time.

I actually consider Zephyr's and Hydroid's ultimates to be more crowd control moves than nukes--I place them when I want to block off an area or clear it of enemy fire for a period of time while going to deal with something elsewhere.  Hydroid's in particular is great for stopping enemies in their tracks at choke points and such, keeping enemies from getting near the cryopod from a certain direction for example.

When it comes to MP, I actually nerf its killing power to increase the range, using it less to blow things up and more as a large-range debuff power in survival missions.

I'm so glad Life Strike exists now. I can play Valkyr health build and not have to spend 100% of my time in Hysteria. Still hoping DE will improve Hysteria soon though.

As for press4tocleanroom ultimates... yeah I don't use them much. It's too boring for me, good from time to time or when in tight spot, otherwise no thanks. Hence why I don't tend to run maximum power damage and efficiency builds.

But I like to have some spammable smaller damage skill.. like Ember's fireball for example. Decent damage, AoE and Utility for 25 energy. Too bad it's one of the few decent n1 abilities in the game.

Edited by LocoWithGun

The only warframe that never needs to use his press 4 is Excalibur. Pressing 1, and 2 is wholly satisfying, and versatile.

However Hydroid not using 4? Sounds like suicide to me...

Edited by Arlayn

I feel like people are somewhat polarized in their opinion of this. When I run Nova, some groups ask me why I'm not constantly nuking everything to make things fast and easy. Sometimes when I nuke things, groups ask me not to. >.< So yeah... I try to stay somewhat in the middle I guess. 

But I enjoy a lot of the ultimates myself. I just try not to spam them too much until I notice things are getting heated (I'm starting to die, or I'm going to rev a fallen teammate). But on average, the other abilities to make gameplay more interesting, but I feel like ultimates should be "OH S#&amp;&#036;" buttons.

Exception: When running a set of 3-5 missions of invasion, I tend to rush the mission just like almost everyone else (so I spam World on Fire, Miasma, Crush, Molecular Prime). 

I love life strike also :)  The new melee system allows for a great many new builds with all of its additions.

It also prevent my Loki from dying to accumulated bleed damage I take here and there... cause I don't really want to play perma invis Loki. I hate when enemies simply whittle me down bit by bit when playing low HP frames.. especially when soloing as you get all the attention and noone to res you.

Edited by LocoWithGun

When it comes to MP, I actually nerf its killing power to increase the range, using it less to blow things up and more as a large-range debuff power in survival missions.

For higher lvl missions,  this can be great.