Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum Trade And Why It's Bad.

Kaoru_Konneko

Plat trading is necessary to draw people into the game. Would you play if you were told you get 2 warframe slots, and that's it, unless you paid money? Giving people the chance to earn slots not only increases the time spent on the game (and thus its popularity), but also drives others to buy more platinum than normal, as they are no longer buying only for themselves. 

I put agreement in plat removal was bad; if you bothered to check earlier postings.

Never said you disagreed or implied anything of its ilk.

When it comes to this kind of trading involving real currency, players will immediately jump the Greedy Train.

I disagree. That's dumping everyone in the same boat. There are a lot of people who will happily trade for something of lesser value if it's something they need or want, or will also sell for a low plat price if a similar need arises. Me, for example.

-1 OP

emo nerd rage QQ

ppl trade items all the time, but removing plat trading would be stupid, go watch some videos on ingame player economies from the steamworks development conference to learn why everything should be tradable (ie removing plat trading would cause DE to LOSE $$$, and it would hurt the ingame econ as well)

Really bad idea; and we really do. 

We really, really don't. 

This is just greed on your part.  And yes, declaring "This price is too high because I say so and we should regulate prices to my particular whim" is simple greed.

We really, really don't.

This is just greed on your part. And yes, declaring "This price is too high because I say so and we should regulate prices to my particular whim" is simple greed.

No I have no greed here; I'm asking fair 1:1 trades like other rare stances for other rare stances. You call that one greed? I call it equal trade. I'm not asking to dump trash for treasure. If you could even see my trade history you'd know, I also give things to lots of people for free because of this non-sense. It's not just myself I'm doing this for. It's freinds of mine who have little to no money and people are asking them to fork all of it over for litterally one item. I also happen to add freebies onto trades where people are fair and friendly.

Just saying I'm greedy with knowing anything proves you're just being inconsiderate and iggnorant of an issue that doesn't afflict you.

But get this; THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DO GET AFFLICTED. And I want them to have just as much a fair chance as myself and you.

Edited by Kaoru_Konneko

-1 OP

emo nerd rage QQ

ppl trade items all the time, but removing plat trading would be stupid, go watch some videos on ingame player economies from the steamworks development conference to learn why everything should be tradable (ie removing plat trading would cause DE to LOSE $$$, and it would hurt the ingame econ as well)

You need to read previous post rather just being straight up rude.

No I have no greed here; I'm asking fair 1:1 trades like other rare stances for other rare stances. You call that one greed? I call it equal trade. I'm not asking to dump trash for treasure. If you could even see my trade history you'd know, I also give things to lots of people for free because of this non-sense. It's not just myself I'm doing this for. It's freinds of mine who have little to no money and people are asking them to fork all of it over for litterally one item. I also happen to add freebies onto trades where people are fair and friendly.

So if platinum trade is removed, how are people like myself who don't have spending money for video games supposed to get access to platinum only cosmetics?

Also the rarity level of the mod doesn't correspond directly to its trade value; gleaming talon and crossing snakes are both rare but one is MUCH harder to get.

So if platinum trade is removed, how are people like myself who don't have spending money for video games supposed to get access to platinum only cosmetics?

Also the rarity level of the mod doesn't correspond directly to its trade value; gleaming talon and crossing snakes are both rare but one is MUCH harder to get.

Again read previous post; I had corrected myself on removing it.

Again read previous post; I had corrected myself on removing it.

It is still a valid point, your personal views aside, whether you agree or not.

There are many who don't see the problem in outright removing it.

And I am acknowledging that you are NOT saying to remove them. You have made that clear.

Just so's we don't get misunderstandings, mang. Even though it still says otherwise in your original topic post. You might want to edit that if you've changed your thoughts, just to keep it clear.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Just saying I'm greedy with knowing anything proves you're just being inconsiderate and iggnorant of an issue that doesn't afflict you.

But get this; THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DO GET AFFLICTED. And I want them to have just as much a fair chance as myself and you.

What you're asking for isn't a fair trade.

A fair trade is a trade made where both parties agree it's fair, not one dictated by on high, and certainly not one that only takes into account how one party values it. 

The prices are where they are because buyers and sellers agree those are fair trades.  That's the whole point of trade to begin with.

OP does have a point. I'm sorry but when the ONLY thing people will trade for in trading chat is platinum it is kind of a problem. "I'll trade you a max rank serration for your natural talent." and then the person goes "Nah, just give me 5 plat." and I'm just like "Wat. <_>?" Seriously.

I hope when the hubs come in, we have a player market place. Players put up what they want to sell, for how much or what, and then release for purchase. Like the steam community market.

Don't think hubs are happening as the player ships replaced that idea from what I've been hearing.

So being an honest patron of the game since the open beta release I spend my own money on platnium and have a frank disgust in it being the only thing people ever seemingly want to trade.

I am perfectly willing to trade items for items, but there's problems.

1.) Finding people for compatible trades is difficult/impossible.  It has to be somebody that has something you want, and wants something you have, and both want to trade, AND both agree that the items are of similar value...

2.) I play a lot, so the things I want tend to be really rare and really new.  The only people who invest the time needed to grind these items up are probably in the same boat, i.e. hardcore grinders already have everything I could offer them.  For somebody with a Bo Prime Handle to trade, there's less than a dozen things in the game that are of equivalent scarcity.

3.) Rare items are rare. Basically, the things that would be equivalent in value to a new and rare drop are...other new and rare drops. But the chance of getting something hyper-valuable without specifically grinding for it are pathetic.And when I have time to burn on grinding for items, I am going to grind for items that I need, not items that I might be able to trade later.

So yeah. I have lots of mid-level stuff I don't need and that somebody out there would probably like.  But reality is that you don't have anything I need in turn.  I live in farming-for-latest-primes land, and it's so hard to get items here that I am going to spend time on getting what I need not what other people need. There is almost no chance at all of "accidentally" getting something worth trading to other inhabitants of farming-for-latest-primes land.

Edited by Momaw

I understand removing plat trade is bad; it has been altered in the topic please stop trying to engage in heated debate of that and that only; but do acknowledge we do need something because people have turned trade into market and nothing but. So note not everyone wants to throw whatever plat they can get on trades; think about that. If people with no money get plat through trade yet they want things they need to buy with it but also want a tradeable item; is it really fair to tell them they have to give up what they scrounged for a item trade instead. The system tends to contradict itself as do all of you.

Lol I remember when it was first announced that trading was going to be put in warframe. There was so much rage over how people no longer had to work for the good stuff. Now look at us. I admit plat trading shouldn't be dismissed and I agree that while prices seem high, it's based off how hard that mod is to get. For instance, Crimson Dervish is still going for around 100 plat, but that is because it's the hardest stance to get in the game.

I have not had one trade yet where the other person wasn't willing to bargain. The only time I ever got shafted was when a person would give away more for something. I was actually surprised at how nice the community was when trading was introduced. It actually restored some of my faith in humanity.

The one thing that is true is that people will gladly take plat over anything else because in the end, it benefits them more. I still think it's bull that we have to buy slots.

Remove plat trading?

So the people who can't buy plat for whatever reason would be completely locked out of getting anything cosmetic, save for the occasional helmet alert?

there's been countless suggestions of ways to implement controlled methods of obtaining Platinum that doesn't involve trading.

this can include Alerts, Invasions, Event Rewards, and so much more.

there's been countless suggestions of ways to implement controlled methods of obtaining Platinum that doesn't involve trading.

this can include Alerts, Invasions, Event Rewards, and so much more.

Still very limiting, when you think about it. And if you could get it for free, plat would kinda lose value.

Plat is how they make a lot of their money. If they add a free way to get it, it'd probably end up being an even bigger grind than anything in the game, like Planetside 2's Certs, because if it isn't, they lose revenue. Which is a problem.

And don't tell me that cert S#&amp;&#036; is easy to get. 100 hours of playtime doing the most rewarding crap you could do and I barely got enough to buy a gun and some upgrades.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

And if you could get it for free, plat would kinda lose value.

i'm going to use this just once. and then wash my hands because i'll feel like a slimelord.

>Platinum for free would devalue it

>can Trade Platinum which is getting it for free

>both Trading for Platinum and getting it in controlled situations is less revenue for Digital Extremes

>logic

that's a horrible excuse.

Still very limiting, when you think about it. And if you could get it for free, plat would kinda lose value.

Plat is how they make a lot of their money. If they add a free way to get it, it'd probably end up being an even bigger grind than anything in the game, like Planetside 2's Certs, because if it isn't, they lose revenue. Which is a problem.

And don't tell me that cert S#&$ is easy to get. 100 hours of playtime doing the most rewarding crap you could do and I barely got enough to buy a gun and some upgrades.

Bah I dumped PS2 a long while ago for the reason of that whole trudge grind factor.

i'm going to use this just once. and then wash my hands because i'll feel like a slimelord.

>both Trading for Platinum and getting it in controlled situations is less revenue for Digital Extremes

>logic

Agreed

>logic

...except that's platinum that people have bought, not platinum generated out of nothing. There's a big difference.

Also what is it with people on sites like this hating that layout so much? It's a simple, easily recognized layout for little text whatsits. Bullet points ain't the same, nor dashes, nor line breaks.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

...except that's platinum that people have bought, not platinum generated out of nothing. There's a big difference.

it's a net loss either way. the person that bought Platinum is already buying Platinum anyways. the people receiving the Platinum may or may not be buying Platinum, but they got it without buying it.

that's lost Revenue. Digital Extremes is obviously okay with sacrificing some Revenue to make a better game, and even giving away some Revenue. integrating Platinum with the game better can only improve Warframe. 

it's a net loss either way. the person that bought Platinum is already buying Platinum anyways. the people receiving the Platinum may or may not be buying Platinum, but they got it without buying it.

that's lost Revenue. Digital Extremes is obviously okay with sacrificing some Revenue to make a better game, and even giving away some Revenue. integrating Platinum with the game better can only improve Warframe. 

There's something I'm missing here. I'm really not good with numbers.

Someone buys enough plat for one person. Say 10 bucks gets them 100 plat.

They then give that 100 plat to someone else.

100 plat has been paid for and will be used by one person. Why does who uses it matter?

Layman's terms, if you please.

Edited by AdunSaveMe