Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Skins Contest

[DE]Rebecca

Why can't I edit any of the layers in photoshop? (They are all listed as non-editable) 

TIP: Never edit any original layers, just in case you need them again conveniently. Duplicate the layer, then use that if you want to (hiding the locked one).

Also, is it locked with the little icon? If so, you double click it and it unlocks

*Don't mean to sound patronizing, just don't know details

Do I have to keep the actual shape of the Weapon? and by that I mean like how dual zoren has the dagger skin is it ok to do ones like those that are more than just putting on a new paint job? If so then I will be very hard at work.

EDIT: nevermind found the post that said no :/ will still do it though

Edited by Echoa

We will do our best yep.  If people go unrealistically nuts in a presentation render (IE: Something we know we have 0% shot of reproducing) we might have to rein it in before it gets to voting, but whatever passes we will do what we can to match.

Ohh damn, awesome!

Ok, so I have an "issue". I am using Cinema 4D (don't ask me why, it's incredibly professional but horrible as a quick use XD) and stuff like normal maps and specular maps kind of show either too strong or not at all; now say I submit my design, all goes well and stuff, will the art team help polish out the setups and what not? I know (from experience) that some companies will take your work as is or not at all, which troubles me

I wish I could preview these things in game before hand :/

http://imgur.com/vSxBAb2 I made this about 4 years ago and I thought, maybe, just maybe, it could have a perfect usage ingame! 

Hmm, Google didn't find anything.

Sorry, I don't know what artist would take the risk of using that without full proof and agreement of disclosure of the rights to that picture. Would love to mess around with it though "Bubbly Zorens" :D

Hrm some very serious questions here....

- Are we constrained to the image sizes of the maps? 

- Can I polypaint my idea in zBrush and render there? (I will check if I can paint to the specific map... there is probably a way so I can avoid TopoGun)

- XNormal screenshots to represent in game or even better can I KeyShot em?

Can we make 3D Models of the weapons and submit the files with rendered shots of them? And if we can then will you be releasing the files of the weapon models?

the models are in the contest files 

We will have to use the existing models this is just a skin for a new paint job guys :] 

Can we make 3D Models of the weapons and submit the files with rendered shots of them? And if we can then will you be releasing the files of the weapon models?

Download Blender, the models are .blend, .blend1, and fbx for lighting. No reason to remodel them, if you are super duper might be a reason to recreate the maps, but in review of them, they capture the depth of the original sculpt very well. Really good and professional re-topology.

As for the question I asked before... no polypainting it in zbrush does not work, as the model is a retopology with maps... a game asset

In retrospect... honestly the Vectis is a very interesting gun. I do not know why the bar below the trigger guard is elongated to form a single stand, but the more you look at it the more that feature becomes mystical and ancient, yet in a very modern way. Noticed the minimum of 3 details per subtool... thats makes a nice difference in giving the eye a feast.

Like you can question the original design mechanics (the levers and such) but then you can see them in motion without the volume animating. It leads the eye like a sports car. If somebody told me this was a rifle from the year 2500 or something, I would wonder at what point did humans get such good ecstatics. 

Just in plain honestly, its just a really good overall shape.

Edited by Takai

Can someone provide or send me a link to a tutorial explaining what exactly each layer in the PSD file is being used for, and what to do with them? I'm decent with photoshop, have some good ideas, and I really wanna give this contest a shot. Problem is, I have no idea what to draw, and on which layers.