Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where's All The Zephy Love?

HalfDarkShadow

She's been my main frame for the past few months. Sure, I get disapproving looks and glares whenever I use her in pubs, but I'm just too high (on oxium) to give a flap.

Mine's geared up for speed with Rush attached making her fast on both land and in air. Considering I'm a solo player like 90% of the time she's perfect for getting things done and I regret nothing. :P

Zephyr's awesome. I don't play her as much as I'd like simply because I'm either ranking up other warframes or I'm using a particular one for a particular job. However Zephyr is a ton of fun, and all of her abilities are extremely helpful... INCLUDING divebomb. Divebomb + Heavy Impact = some extremely epic CCing. I've protected a dying pod with just it as the rest of my team figured out hallway hero'ing isn't always a good idea.

edit: on a side note, I wish they'd buff Silva & Aegis. I like to think of my Zephyr as a valkyrie, flying in with sword and shield kicking names and taking &#!. But it's hard to do that with Silva & Aegis being low-ish tier.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Why I'm not a fan:

1. Can't copter if you're not host.

2. Aesthetics is incredibly messy.

3. Very ugly feet.

4. Brings little to a team. To those who say she has great utility, not really. The CC on her tornado has no benefit and may arguably be worse than not even using the skill because it increases an enemy's time-to-kill by flinging them around. Tailwind may get you places fast to say, revive an ally, but you can do the same thing with coptering, which doesn't cost energy.

Divebomb + Heavy Impact = some extremely epic CCing. I've protected a dying pod with just it as the rest of my team figured out hallway hero'ing isn't always a good idea.

Admittedly I've never tried this combo, so I don't know how it fares against Chaos, Disarm, Stomp, etc.

I love Zephyr, except her ultimate.

Too impredictable/inefficient/team annoyer.

I have nothing against Zephyr not being a huge damage dealer, but I expect the wind to be one of the widest/fastest AoE crowd control ever.

Not being able to reliably help my team bothers me, especially when they feel like i'm trolling them when using my ulti (you know, the enemies flying everywhere, untargetable...).

This is my big problem with her, even if she's ok on her own.

Also, i'm craving for being able to toggle her first power to be able to hover around like a raptor. T_T

I definitely enjoy Zephyr when I do play her, she is definitely a ton of fun.

What I don't like is tornadoes synergy. Duration is awesome on her 1 and 3, but running it maxed on her 4 gets annoying, since your twisters tend to wander off, and you cannot recast the them until the end of the duration.

If recasting them replaced the old ones with a fresh set I'd like the power a lot more.

Secondly I have a little stigma against playing her, since she really needs space to work well, and that limits the tiles that you can take control of.

So while I like Zephyr, her theme, and playing her, I enjoy playing other frames just as much, and they lack the things that I don't like about zephyr.

Zephyr's my go-to default frame unless I need to do something really specific like Vauban or Nekros, but that's only because I'm stubborn and I hate the mentality of switching to fit the game type. I love the mobility too much to give it up, and being survivable (Turbulence + decent base health/shields, I just hate squishy frames.)

However, that doesn't mean she's not without problems, I can definitely see why she's not popular.

"Endgame" pretty much revolves around bringing the right gimmicky frames to do a certain job, i.e. Vauban for Defense, Nekros/speed Nova/etc for Survival, so on. And Zephyr's Tornado CC just isn't controlled enough.

I hate making the comparison, but it should've been a little more like the WoW druid Cyclone where the target spins in one location (and could still be shot, like Vauban's CC). People seem to dislike Tornado due to the ragdolling all over the room, sometimes into the ceiling or floor (I was soloing some ODD with my Zephyr, once, and bugged myself out of completion when Tornado rammed some mobs into the floor.)

Which pretty much means I never use Tornado since I don't want to annoy my team. It's just an emergency oh-sh*t button or to cover Reviving, and other frames have abilities that do that a little better anyway.

Other than Tail Wind being fun (better for vertical movements and not necessarily "faster" horizontally) but Excal has Slash Dash anyway for less of an energy cost, Turbulence seems like the only "useful" ability, to me. I don't even equip Dive Bomb.

She doesn't really have an offensive/damage spammable ability, like Fireball/Smite/Shock/etc. I always seem to have a surplus of energy, since I'm not rapidly spamming abilities all the time -- I save Turbulence for recharging shields, and Tail Wind by itself doesn't cause problems.

Personally, I'd rather they ditch Dive Bomb (or make the damage decent enough that people want it), move Tail Wind to #2, and invent an actually useful #1 ability... and rework Tornado, too.

If there's one thing that bugs me about Warframe, it's that people want you to bring certain desired frames, and not others... especially others you might enjoy more. They need to take a look at the frames that people play far less often, and at least try to make them more viable.

^ And all that's just mechanics. Don't even get me started on her aesthetics. She should've looked more like the concept art she was based off of. (The clawed hands in that actually looked cool, too.) I like the clawed feet and bird-like original helmet, but I hate all her alternate helmets, and the uncolorable black fins (yes, fins. I can see they tried to texture feathers on there, but the model isn't detailed enough, they look more like fins.)

And if you color her primarily with dark colors, there's also uncolorable white parts, and you also get little fuzzy white edges around the colorable selection... which is also just sloppy texturing. Oh, and she's bulky as all hell, doesn't even look like a female frame... and has a codpiece that kindof looks like a dog's groin. :|

Edited by Zhyzak

I actually tried her today. Please take in the fact that I am have only played for about a week now...so my knowledge of skills isn't the best...however, first impressions are pretty important. 

I got her, seemed to take damage fairly well. Was leveling some new weapons as well, so I was playing in the 3-4 level missions. Was doing fine, finally topped out my energy and decided to take the first and only skill I had at the time for a spin. So I found a nice large platoon of enemies. Hit tail wind and promptly hit my head upon the ceiling.  Nothing died, and I just felt pretty stupid. Pretty sure some of the enemy laughed. 

I finished the bad guys off. finished the mission...was pretty close to the end by then. So for reference, I bought her with plat, so I had the boosts and potato...so I went ahead and was able to equip all but the tornado skill.  Anyway, next mission with three of the skills in hand here I go. Once I got my energy up, I cleared a room and decided to try jumping first with tail wind. Sure enough, I moved forward. With this knowledge in hand I found a rather large platoon and jumped first and hit the skill. I zoomed past the enemy without trouble. As I landed I found myself in the middle of a larger hornet nest than I had anticipated. But none-the-less, I wanted to see the dead that I left in my wake. All I found were angry bad guys who didn't appreciate me blowing their hair out of place. Sooooo...about 15 or so bad guys started to fire from all around and I hit my skill once again to try and escape from where I had come. I made it back with about 16 health IIRC. As luck would have it, some bad guys spawned in behind me in the previous room and promptly avenged their comrades hair. 

Revive used, bad guys killed with guns. Okay first skill sucks monkey anus. Time for second. After a little time, and energy gathered, I decided to use my second skill. Nothing happened. I quickly assumed maybe I have to jump with this one as well, so I did. I would like to note I was in a normal low ceiling room. I promptly hit my head yet again on the ceiling. After much laughter from the bad guys, I eventually killed them off. A few might have offed themselves do to asphyxiation. 

Okay, so...probably a situational skill that needs to be used from great height. Well, as luck would have it, I found the perfect spot. I came out upstairs with all the enemy downstairs. I sneaked into position, jumped over the ledge aiming between the majority of the bad guys to AOE the most bad guys. It worked! I dive bombed straight down. I gathered myself and stood to see my devastation, to see the chaos that I caused. And once again, I see all the enemy laughing at the dumb idiot who dove straight into the ground head first and killed no one. I survived. I killed. I returned to my ship and quickly returned Zephyr to the display table. 

I don't know what the other skills do. But I have to assume they are as useless as the first two. This was my first impression. Figured I would write it out in hopes that the developers might see a need to change some things. Glad this was not a starter frame. 

Edited by Azure_Phoenix

Zephyr is simply lackluster to me. Tornado annoys me more than it benefits me, Tail Wind and Dive Bomb are not precise enough for me to reliably utilize air travel, and Turbulence seems like a less consistent Volt Shield or Iron Skin with a paltry duration. 

Plus I have so many other things to play that seem more interesting, such as invisibility, summoning tentacles from the ground, creating giant ice shields, throwing homing shurikens, and all sorts of other nonsense.

I don't know what the other skills do. But I have to assume they are as useless as the first two. This was my first impression. Figured I would write it out in hopes that the developers might see a need to change some things. Glad this was not a starter frame. 

I'm sorry but this one just warrants a "get gud" type of comment.

She has the highest base HP and Shield of all frames. That's great bulk for a mobility frame.

Her first skill is one of the best mobility tools ingame. It has lackluster damage but it is amazing for getting around.

I give credit, divebomb is mediocre and cc and even worse at damage, but paired with heavy impact it creates a decent CC and some form of reliable damage, and it's activates it from any height.

Then turbluence, granting her near immunity from range sources this makes her a great melee frame as she doesn't have to worry about ranged attacks. Seeing as you were against grineer, it deflects nearly all of their hitscan weaponry.

Finally Tornado, as annoying as it can be for other teammates it provides some great CC and decent procs, not to mention like all her other kills it scales well with duration.

I am sorry but zephyr is far from a bad frame, might not be your style but certainly not bad. The fact that you wrote this without even testing her last 2 abilities is just a  hasty  conclusion.

Sorry mate but

lrn2flyzephyr

I'm soloing or with others with Zephyr in Interception everyday lately... Really handy for that kind of map at Cerberus - Pluto. Jump and press #1 and you travel between each point :D

Plus #3 is basically invincibility from corpus and most grineer. And Tornado to pi$$ my teammates off obviously.

Edited by CookingFood