Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

Just would like to point out that you do what people do with the media you get a piece of information and run with it rather than see the whole story. 

It's been pointed out many times already that it's essentially a horn on top of his head and that his actual face lies beneath. Please give the old and dried out jokes a rest?

That's not a horn. It definitely resembles a "sea dragon" more than it does a traditional dragon. And it makes sense coming with the underwater tileset. But it would've been better if they were upfront about this frame fitting with the upcoming tileset like Hydroid, Zephyr, and Oberon did (Hydroid with Ceres' tileset with its rain, Zephyr and Oberon with Earth).

BUt as DJ_Redwire said, the biggest issue is the sloth-like slouching stance. The frame's stance could at least evoke something made for war (all warframes should evoke that).

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I appreciate art and the work that must have went in to creating Chroma... that doesn't stop me from thinking he is ugly as hell.

He looks like an anteater and the end of his 'snout' looks like it has buckteeth. I was expecting something that made me think 'dragon' when I saw it, not anteater. I was expecting DE to take the eastern approach to dragons just because of their track record.

No, I haven't.

Yes, I have.

No, not really. But that could just be the result of the crappy quality of all the pics I've seen of chroma. 

A link to info on he lore surrounding him would be much appreciated.

Creative=/=aesthetically pleasing. My 'fan-art' is creative, but ugly.

wut.:\

Gratz, I was at work.

I'd just to reiterate now that this threat was really directed towards those extremists who not only dislike his design but are demanding/asking for a redesign and petitioning for it. 

And the people going out of their way to put the design down. 

What we learned today is the same thing we've learned every time a new frame is revealed: Some people believe that because it didn't turn out like they thought or it wasn't a copy-paste lf someone's fanart it's objectively bad.

....And that some are remarkably butthurt about it, to the point they'll go and hate on every single thread that makes the mere mention of the name.

Exactly, same S#&$ different frame. 

And I don't understand why they would even go with the theme of a chromatic dragon if they aren't even going to use chromatic dragons as the influence for the design. Why not just have it be another water frame like Hydroid? There's just a clash between what this frame does and how it looks, and it doesn't fit.

Because then it'd be a prime example of having no creativity. If they were to take both the theme and the designs from the Chromatic Dragons from D&D then it'd just lead to DE having no style for themselves. 

Also legal complications could arise from taking their appearance as well.

I did a quick 5 min squetch on how he could look if he had a more western dragon look

CZTaRR0.png

Well I do like the original design, I just think that the uper part of his head is way too long, if they just make it a little shorter.. maybe this will take of the vibe of a sea-horse/ant-eater, and he realy looks infested which is kinda cool =P

Edited by XxIngridxX

You got it wrong again. Scott said that he was researching many dragons and that the eastern/oriental dragon theme is something he gravitated towards for the GAMEPLAY aspect of his design.. not his looks. He literally didn't say anything regarding the design for his looks.

And you say Panzer Dragoon Orta's design sucks but that's PURELY subjective as a LOT of people's opinions differ.

And that's fine but it's gotten to the point where people are literally asking for redesigns.. like yo come on..

Well we can't ask for a redesign because that is time and money. Obviously and the design doesn't look like either a western or eastern dragon and is supposed to tell you it's a dragon. So what IS it? Obviously the Leafy Sea Dragon isn't a dragon and no one really feels this design looks like a dragon. If we weren't told it was a dragon frame we wouldn't say it looked like one. Hell we wouldn't be as upset.

But being bland and un-creative isn't a good thing either. 

Nothing here is black and white.

Sure, but this, I feel, is a case where "artistic" ideal went too far in the other extreme. For something as iconic as a "dragon" you can't really just throw something together and say "it's a dragon because i say it is". When making allusions to real life myths (an oxymoron, I know) or other culturally significant archetypes it is important to keep it grounded in the original concept. Otherwise, why bother using the namesake in the first place? I can see where some people might get the idea that it is a combination of many ideas, but for me it is too far of a departure into weirdness that I cannot see it as a dragon. To me it is a random thing created by the devs that should be given its own classification so that a more recognizable dragon design can one day become a real thing (within the game at least).

Edited by HuangZilong

You got it wrong again. Scott said that he was researching many dragons and that the eastern/oriental dragon theme is something he gravitated towards for the GAMEPLAY aspect of his design.. not his looks. He literally didn't say anything regarding the design for his looks. 

And you say Panzer Dragoon Orta's design sucks but that's PURELY subjective as a LOT of people's opinions differ. 

And that's fine but it's gotten to the point where people are literally asking for redesigns.. like yo come on..

See, I wish it's design was based on an eastern dragon, like Wyrm Prime's look, at least something like this:

1167888-bigthumbnail.jpg

But it doesn't even slightly resemble that.

"It is very factual that many people dont appreciate art"?

Everyone has an opinion on what art is, you are saying that they cant appreciate art, but what is art in your opinion may not be art for other people, respecting their ideas is key to a healthy discussion, criticizing peoples "ability to appreciate art" is not going to allow us to achieve anything constructive

Me saying that many people don't appreciate art is me talking about the notion that many people have that if it doesn't give a knee-jerk reaction to either satisfy them or make them feel anything then it's crap. When more often than not work that thoughtful and has work/time into it is honestly deserving of much more. 

It's not bout liking/disliking it its the desire for destroying it or getting rid of it simply because they don't instantly desire it or think its mind-blowing-ly cool. 

And that goes for a lot of things in the game. If your first reaction is to trash something because it wasn't what you thought it would be or it isn't how you like it is the depreciation of art. I'm talking about this on a much deeper level than just "You can't say their opinion doesn't matter because you don't agree with it" No move past that and look deeper at what I'm talking about. 

The colour dependant abilities kinda restrict what abilities we can use because the starter colour palette does not have main shades such as white or black, so does this mean if we don't buy specific colour palettes then we are stuck with the same abilities.

Because then it'd be a prime example of having no creativity. If they were to take both the theme and the designs from the Chromatic Dragons from D&D then it'd just lead to DE having no style for themselves. 

Also legal complications could arise from taking their appearance as well.

They could make something that is influenced by those designs. And it wouldn't be the first time that DE has basically tried to make their version of someone else's character from someone else's game, and DE has been very open about doing that sort of thing in the past.

Me saying that many people don't appreciate art is me talking about the notion that many people have that if it doesn't give a knee-jerk reaction to either satisfy them or make them feel anything then it's crap. When more often than not work that thoughtful and has work/time into it is honestly deserving of much more. 

It's not bout liking/disliking it its the desire for destroying it or getting rid of it simply because they don't instantly desire it or think its mind-blowing-ly cool. 

And that goes for a lot of things in the game. If your first reaction is to trash something because it wasn't what you thought it would be or it isn't how you like it is the depreciation of art. I'm talking about this on a much deeper level than just "You can't say their opinion doesn't matter because you don't agree with it" No move past that and look deeper at what I'm talking about. 

After taking a "deeper" look, you're just generalizing people and projecting onto them.

I did a quick 5 min squetch on how he could look if he had a more western dragon look

CZTaRR0.png

Well I do like the original design, I just think that the uper part of his head is way too long, if they just make it a little shorter.. maybe this will take of the vibe of a sea-horse/ant-eater, and he realy looks infested which is kinda cool =P

Bang! There! Just there! I really, really, really plea to see you modify his body to your helmet change.

Sure, but this, I feel, is a case where "artistic" ideal went too far in the other extreme. For something as iconic as a "dragon" you can't really just throw something together and say "it's a dragon because i say it is". When making allusions to real life myths (an oxymoron, I know) or other culturally significant archetypes it is important to keep it grounded in the original concept. Otherwise, why bother using the namesake in the first place? I can see where some people might get the idea that it is a combination of many ideas, but for me it is too far of a departure into weirdness that I cannot see it as a dragon. To me it is a random thing created by the devs that should be given its own classification so that a more recognizable dragon design can one day become a real thing (within the game at least).

You can say the same on the other "extreme". When something is grounded in the reference of what you're drawing or creating, it'll lead to an un-interesting design that no one really cares for. That's why in a game like Dark Souls 2, the dragons in it weren't very cared for. Because they looked like what every other dragon looked like in media. But the dragons in Dark Souls 1 looked unique and extremely interesting which is why they are far more memorable.

Excalibur is one of the strongest if not the strongest currently known Warframes to date, lore wise. 

Yeah fixd pls

NOw onto Chroma, i tink the upper helm is kindof wacky or something, and the textures seem meh, but i like him when he is not in derp pose

There are absolutely zero similarities between Chroma and the Sentients.

Not sure what sort of delusion this person is seeing.

I wouldn't solidly go on in saying that there are ZERO similarities but I was just speculating and generating discussion on that I think he really does resemble them.