Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

In past Devstreams, when a frame was teased with a concept, the results were usually accurate, and the models often had a symbolic reference to there concepts. 

ex: Mesa-Gunslinger, Zepyhr- Wind, Hydroid-Water/Pirate, Ember-Fire,etc

Except this was the target of endless complaints. I could go out and find hundreds of quotes blasting DE for being too literal with their themes.

And Chroma is pretty clearly dragon-inspired.

It isn't after any singular type of dragon. The fact that it has something reminiscent of these whiskers is enough to imply the parallel.

If it didn't have the whiskers or nasal ridge then "Anteater" would be more apt. However the only thing going for "Anteater" is "narrow snout".

Eh, to each their own. I didn't really think about until another pointed it out, and still some are... not really finding more details but drawing up theories to the details, like the snout being more like a headpiece. Think shaman with a wolf-head hat. Then the red skin appears to be more of a worn pelt rather than a skin ending part-way. Just someone else's thought I found interesting.

But the roar also spews out fire, or an element of your choosing. That says chromatic dragon to me.

My overall point is that these are several details, and they easily override "He's an anteater because his snout is narrow".

Agreed

Themed means that it shares core qualities with the original thing, whatever it might be. It still does not explain why "draconic" Chroma is a mess of melted wax that spent too much time being friends with infested alad v.

If someone would ask you make something with angel theme in mind, the first thing you'd think of would be angels.

Not

vcZmd3y.jpg

No, but obviously someone else did, and the name stuck.

However, to get onto your point a bit.  What quality's does 'THIS' warframe have with a dragon?  Let's take a look

DirtySnappyHake.gif

Dragons stereotypically:

Breath fire/frost/acid?  Check. It will most likely breath any of the typical elements.

Have Scales/ is lizardlike?  ...  Not exactly.  Although in this case, the infested leatheryish skin is a good replacement [for the warfram universe.]

Have a muzzle/Snout?  Yes.  That thing, that he is breathing fire out of?  Is his mouth, his EYES are above that.  Below that is his neck.  Look at his posture my friend, is he looking at the ground or the 'camera' so to speak.  Please, let's stop with the 'face in his neck' nonsense [not talking just about you.

Have a Tail?  Yes.  Now, I'm not a judge of tails and sure people would think it would be more lizard like and less flat, but this is De's interpenetration.  So it gets a pass.

What OTHER qualities does a dragon have?  It doesn't look pretty, I get it.  I love the design though and it passes for dragon in my book in the warframe universe 'because' the designers intended it.

Or... is this a dragon?

9Evbgrk.jpg

To me it looks like a warrior with a Dragonic helmet on its head [like usual] and clawed metal fists [nothing new]  It looks like in short someone took Rhino's body stuffed a vague dragonic helmet on it and gave it clawed metal fists lol.

Edited by Sibarian

Keep going. I like to see people flounder about trying (and failing) to provide a counter argument.

To what? His visuals? He's not Dragony enough for your Dragon club? If they make him actually look like a dragon, he will instantly look like a stereotype, and be dismissed as one.

Edited by Archistopheles

A light frame? You mean like the one we already have? Mirage?

And the first time he was teased they talked about colors, not light, its an important differentiation. He is based on the chromatic dragons from d&d. Like that's the whole point...

yet he looks nothing like the Chromatic Dragons from D&D. And if he was based off the Chromatic Dragons from D&D, he would be a SHE. Because who the F*** mistakes the name "Chroma" from TIAMAT.

Except this was the target of endless complaints. I could go out and find hundreds of quotes blasting DE for being too literal with their themes.

And Chroma is pretty clearly dragon-inspired.

Chroma doesn't even resemble a dragon at all. It's an abomination.

They're not going to change Chroma, people just need to realize that  :^)

Even if it's not going to be changed, we can still voice our opinions on it. The whole argument, however, has devolved into "whether having dragon in its name means you can call it a dragon" which will probably go nowhere. Instead we should look to this as DE not reading the community properly again. Some people asked for a dragon frame, and then DE said they would make one. Most people are familiar with the western dragon as it is so popular in gaming culture. So it should have been obvious that the community wanted something like that, especially with the fan concepts. While I wouldn't want a rhino 2.0, it wouldn't have been hard for mynki to make a frame that wasn't a generic copy and paste dragon or a rhino reskin. Instead we get an eastern dragon, that doesn't really look like one because human bodies don't mesh well with their serpentine anatomy. It also looks like a seahorse/anteater but is kinda bulky in the concept picture which isn't what eastern dragons are like. Also eastern dragons did not breathe fire if you actually wanted to argue about that. So it feels like a terrible mesh between an eastern dragon with western characteristics. If you are going to go with one design choice, do it completely and not mesh the two together like this. If DE wanted to be consistent, they should have done the western dragon since it actually breathes fire.

http://strawpoll.me/3807541/r

Look at this lovely poll. Over 1000 votes and the majority plurality dislike it. If that means nothing to you then I have lost hope for this frame and community requested frames.

Majority is over 50%. People who want it changed are less than 50%. People who's opinion will not be affected if it doesn't change are in the majority.

or just like how dragons aren't real either? dragons are a work of fictional lore and mythology. Dragons aren't REAL just like how sherlock holmes isn't in the living deparment.We have no living proof of a dragon to know what to base it on.

how about we base it on the traditional depictions of them, you know, like what the community wanted?

...although most people consider it wrong to relate this design to a dragon.

But at this point, we should not consider this a Dragon Frame. Obviously this design in no way, excluding the tail, resembles a dragon.

Ok so you go on a small rant abot how Chroma isnt a dragon, but you dont try to communicate at all what a dragon is?

Yeah i do, i see clawed feet and hands(typical of dragons) and a spiky draconic helmet. If you really can't see the dragon traits then you are in denial with yourself.

7ZXpjc4.jpg

Wolfman_claws1.jpg

Claws =/= instant dragon.

Edited by Sibarian

how about we base it on the traditional depictions of them, you know, like what the community wanted?

Then people would whine and complain about how it's stereotypical and that DE has no originality. Just saying. People love to complain, plain and simple.

Even if it's not going to be changed, we can still voice our opinions on it. The whole argument, however, has devolved into "whether having dragon in its name means you can call it a dragon"

well actually the point is that there is no living dragon to base on what an expectation for dragon should be hense DE's Creativite freedom.

Chroma means purity / intensity of Color.

the origin comes from the Greek khrōma, literally meaning Color.

Dragon should not be pigeonholed into a European Mythology dragon.

Dragons have appeared in the Mythology of every Society in the history of Human Beings. each one is a little bit different.

pigeonholing Dragons into one specific ideal of them is pompous and selfish. Warframe is a game that tries to explore a lot of different topics, not copy pasting the same ideals everyone else has gone with.

Warframe has it's own unique theme and style. that doesn't conform to being 'normal'.

the crux of this, is please don't pigeonhole ideas and ideals into a single method of thinking. Warframe is better than that.

Edited by taiiat

Seriously, do people just want a rhino reskin with scales, wings, and a 'dragonish' helmit and clawed hands/feet?  Is THAT what it takes to make everyone happy?  Be generic?

themed.

THEMED.

THEMED!

Never said it would BE.  It's THEME, would be 'dragonic'  Guess what, It breaths fire, has a wierd semblance of a tail, and a snout and thank god it isn't just a rhino with a dragon helmet on.  >.>

No. The community wanted a traditional dragon, and DE didn't give the community that, even though DE said they were giving the community what the community requested. Why pretend like you're giving the community what it asked for when you're not?

However, to get onto your point a bit.  What quality's does 'THIS' warframe have with a dragon?  Let's take a look

DirtySnappyHake.gif

Dragons stereotypically:

Breath fire/frost/acid?  Check. It will most likely breath any of the typical elements.

Have Scales/ is lizardlike?  ...  Not exactly.  Although in this case, the infested leatheryish skin is a good replacement [for the warfram universe.]

Have a muzzle/Snout?  Yes.  That thing, that he is breathing fire out of?  Is his mouth, his EYES are above that.  Below that is his neck.  Look at his posture my friend, is he looking at the ground or the 'camera' so to speak.  Please, let's stop with the 'face in his neck' nonsense [not talking just about you.

Have a Tail?  Yes.  Now, I'm not a judge of tails and sure people would think it would be more lizard like and less flat, but this is De's interpenetration.  So it gets a pass.

What OTHER qualities does a dragon have?  It doesn't look pretty, I get it.  I love the design though.

People in circus can breathe fire.

So, leather-like material is considered dragon enough now ?

Muzzle shout is confusing, some people are saying that its a horn, some people saying that its his face. Pick one. He either shoots fire through a mechanical nozzle located on his forehead or he has seahorse face and shoots fire out of his mouth.

Tail, it's a really, really, flat tail, almost beaver like. I don't have any beef with it but many things have tails.

Now, onto the things he doesn't have:

-scales

-teeth

-spiky bits

-some tough looking skin

-pride and power(have you ever seen a dragon in anything that was a pathetic weak creature ?)

-clawed hands/feet with scales

Edited by kiteohatto

Chroma doesn't even resemble a dragon at all. It's an abomination.

Wings and enlarged, muscular shoulders? Something dragons have.

Overlapping scales with a leathery belly/interior? Also dragons.

He even has legs that almost appear digitigrade, ridges along his stomach like an alligator or eastern dragon, and he breathes fire.

Just because he doesn't straight-up look like a dragon like the original fan concept doesn't mean he isn't a dragon. It's like saying Ash isn't a ninja because he isn't wearing a traditional ninja outfit.

DirtySnappyHake.gif

Dragons stereotypically:

What OTHER qualities does a dragon have?  It doesn't look pretty, I get it.  I love the design though.

Looks like he kinda-sorta has two ridges on his back. Not really connected to his arms as they don't appear to move when he brings his arms in, but close to them. I'd suppose they're wings, or at the very least the closest to wings we'll get with Dragonframe. Wing-nubs.

It isn't after any singular type of dragon. The fact that it has something reminiscent of these whiskers is enough to imply the parallel.

If it didn't have the whiskers or nasal ridge then "Anteater" would be more apt. However the only thing going for "Anteater" is "narrow snout".

Eh, to each their own. I didn't really think about until another pointed it out, and still some are... not really finding more details but drawing up theories to the details, like the snout being more like a headpiece. Think shaman with a wolf-head hat. Then the red skin appears to be more of a worn pelt rather than a skin ending part-way. Just someone else's thought I found interesting.

But the roar also spews out fire, or an element of your choosing. That says chromatic dragon to me.

My overall point is that these are several details, and they easily override "He's an anteater because his snout is narrow".

EDIT:: The only other thing is the lack of wings, but he obviously has something on his back. Just haven't seen enough of him to know what exactly.

The problem with that is that if it is some headpiece then Chroma is always looking at the floor in the still image,however in the animation the snout is not held up high as if it was a headpiece, the snout is looking At the camera, as such the only conclusion is that the snout, is part of the head of Chroma and not a Headpiece.

I have never known D&D to know about Chromatic Dragons, nor do I really care to, Spewing out fire is not an instant tell tale that it's a dragon, many creatures do, and even if DE have stated this is the case for Chroma, we have no proof that such is the case, we literally have to take their word for it

Also alot of community didn't want a Frankenstein experiment of Dragons to appease all cultures, many wanted one or the other, suffice to say, most people who dislike Chroma at this point wouldn't care if he went pure Eastern or Pure Western

as I've discussed before, those things aren't on his back, they're on his shoulders, and look rediculous

Edited by Eredoc

Looks like he kinda-sorta has two ridges on his back. Not really connected to his arms as they don't appear to move when he brings his arms in, but close to them. I'd suppose they're wings, or at the very least the closest to wings we'll get with Dragonframe. Wing-nubs.

Maybe one of his powers will cause him to sprout energy wings or jets of flame from those? or it could be there for a special syandana

Edited by EmptyDevil

Then people would whine and complain about how it's stereotypical and that DE has no originality. Just saying. People love to complain, plain and simple.

Or the community would actually get what it wanted, and the few people who are in love with Chroma here, that 23%, would be the ones complaining about Chroma being stereotypical.