The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

How do you even define that ?

All we wanted was a badass ninja frame that had some dragon qualities to it. It didn't have to be rhino skin v2. There is nothing stopping DE from making more warframes like the originals, excal, volt, loki. You know, the perfect mix of human silhouttes and futuristic armor that made them look like dark and troubled superheroes fighting against the world.They just choose not to for some reason. Now we got our first mutant and i just can't believe you guys are happy with it.

It's simply the assumtion of Chroma supporters that the "haters" wanted another rhino buff boy with spikes and edgy JRPG armor, it's far from the truth.

Keep telling yourself that "this is good, well done DE" so you can sleep at night because it's not a rhino v2 skin(that you have a phobia of for some reason), but it never was supposed to be.

We knew full well that DE changes their designs from chosen concept art, we had accepted that it would be slightly different from the concept, like zephyr and mesa and we perfectly trusted DE to adjust the design to fit in with the rest of the frames(mostly) and WF universe. However we got something completely different, it was so far from the concept art the only thing it shares is the name when you look at it.

That, is not ok.

What concept art do you refer to, I can't remember any specific design that DE decided to modify, in fact, what I got from the stream where they referenced Chroma the first time was that people simply asked for a dragon warframe and DE thought that the idea had some merit, but they wanted it to be designed their way. They even said that it wouldn't be what most people expected it to look like.

How do you even define that ?

All we wanted was a badass ninja frame that had some dragon qualities to it. It didn't have to be rhino skin v2. There is nothing stopping DE from making more warframes like the originals, excal, volt, loki. You know, the perfect mix of human silhouttes and futuristic armor that made them look like dark and troubled superheroes fighting against the world.They just choose not to for some reason. Now we got our first mutant and i just can't believe you guys are happy with it.

It's simply the assumtion of Chroma supporters that the "haters" wanted another rhino buff boy with spikes and edgy JRPG armor, it's far from the truth.

Keep telling yourself that "this is good, well done DE" so you can sleep at night because it's not a rhino v2 skin(that you have a phobia of for some reason), but it never was supposed to be.

We knew full well that DE changes their designs from chosen concept art, we had accepted that it would be slightly different from the concept, like zephyr and mesa and we perfectly trusted DE to adjust the design to fit in with the rest of the frames(mostly) and WF universe. However we got something completely different, it was so far from the concept art the only thing it shares is the word "dragon" when you look at it.

That, is not ok.

Well said!

i understand your expression and feelings, as well as for me personally EVERY WARFRAME IN WARFRAME carries this energies, magic powers, elemental forces and that we can play with it

as well as more i really welcome chroma in my arsenal, dont wanna spend time here in hypethreads because im simply waiting, updateing, checking, buying the new prime pack and playing all the new goodies in and around U 16, the anniversary and the new primepack

will be a great spring this year at "my gaming-life" =)))

... and thank you for this thread, KlarVyvern ,-)

That's a pretty serious amount of fabrication you're doing there.

If you played dark sector and then played warframe after, you would feel as if you are playing similar character but in the far future. How is that hard to understand ? Back when we only had Tenno warriors and not a disfigured zoo themed frames.

What concept art do you refer to, I can't remember any specific design that DE decided to modify, in fact, what I got from the stream where they referenced Chroma the first time was that people simply asked for a dragon warframe and DE thought that the idea had some merit, but they wanted it to be designed their way. They even said that it wouldn't be what most people expected it to look like.

Im referring to how DE told us that it would be:

-Community requested design

-How it would surprise even the vets(everyone would assume surprise in a pleasant way)

Then they finally told us it's a dragon frame.

How does this not create expectations ?

Im out of here, before you lot get your pitchforks.

Edited by kiteohatto

I'm starting to think that DE makes terrible default helmets on purpose.

Take Mirage. Her design is very harlequin-like... her animations reinforce this even more. Though she has some chitin-like features... though that could also invoke a doll. That said her default helmet feels completely out of place. It's a vaguely beetle-like thing. Her alt takes the harlequin features and adds some insect features in the form of the horns. Imho the alt helmet looks more cannon than the default one.

That is Warframe design in general. Humanoid features combined with insect-like features here and there. Loki has mantis-like spikes on his arms for example. Then DE went completely rogue and made Limbo... which is mostly just a magician, though he has somewhat insectey limbs. And then just sunk this esthetic completely with Mesa which has no trace of that kind of design whatsoever.

And then DE puts a slender seahorse-like head on a pretty chunky body. Those elements just don't mix. So there is your anteater comparison... since those have also very thin snouts and disproportionately chunky and big bodies and limbs.

So I just hope that the alt helmet makes some sense. I don't really care much about the art direction... but lately it's been all over the place. At least remain consistent. The difference between Mesa and Chroma is simply staggering. One is very specific sleek and clean design, the other is ridgy and bloby hunk of... something with a seahorse head. 

Anyway... you call this a collection of themes. I call it a mess. There's a limit on how many different things you can put into one design and imho Chroma goes straight  over that limit and then some.

Edited by LocoWithGun

i understand your expression and feelings, as well as for me personally EVERY WARFRAME IN WARFRAME carries this energies, magic powers, elemental forces and that we can play with it

as well as more i really welcome chroma in my arsenal, dont wanna spend time here in hypethreads because im simply waiting, updateing, checking, buying the new prime pack and playing all the new goodies in and around U 16, the anniversary and the new primepack

will be a great spring this year at "my gaming-life" =)))

... and thank you for this thread, KlarVyvern ,-)

Thank you for the kind reply, I usually avoid major threads myself because I'm more content with playing the game but this time the hype-miss looks more severe than usual.

If you played dark sector and then played warframe after, you would feel as if you are playing similar character but in the far future. How is that hard to understand ? Back when we only had Tenno warriors and not a disfigured zoo themed frames.

Im referring to how DE told us that it would be:

-Community requested design

-How it would surprise even the vets(everyone would assume surprise in a pleasant way)

Then they finally told us it's a dragon frame.

How does this not create expectations ?

Im out of here, before you lot get your pitchforks.

If you won't stand by your point, why bother at all?

Edited by KlarVyvern

Where are the sleek, clean and badass design that got me (the community?) into the game?

Are "Space Ninjas" design forgotten to make place for the newer "Infested Experiment" warframes?

Lack of inspiration maybe, maybe not.. But you don't need to overdo it, simple is better IMO (*Wink* Mynki *wink*)

Here's the first gen:

fvv8me.png

It's just... Dragon warframe which looks like a melting Infested.

But whatever, that's their vision.

Actually these "melting flesh" parts looks somewhat like feathers or long scales. I can't understand what they wanted to achieve with the helmet - it looks out of place imo. Waiting for an alt.

Maybe he won't look so gross with different colors :p

Honestly I was waiting for something like this:

1X0wW6s.png

Meh, if he won't look good, then I'm simply not going to use him like I don't use Mirage, Zephyr, Limbo and Hydroid.

That looks like a spikey Rhino.

If you won't stand by your point, why bother at all?

I've been at it for about 6 hours now, im too tired rewriting the same thing in different words to different people. I'll come back tomorrow, my Chroma poor design choice hate has depleted for today.

Edited by kiteohatto

Whether you like the design or not, it's not going to be changed. This is what DE created and this is how it's going to be. In the end it's their game. They have the final say in what goes so no amount complaining or petitioning is going to change that. They might be able to fix the seahorse/aardvark/anteater look with an alt helm but that's as far as they're going to go.

The more I look at Chroma, the more I get used to him. Still don't like his look but there's nothing we can do. Just stare at him for a while. You might get used to him.

There has not been a single frame released where I have disliked the design and thought it didn't fit into warframe. 

also

Did something happen to the first gen? Have they been removed from the game? No they haven't go play those frames if those are the ones you like!

Edited by BrotherIcarus

I like the attitude that is suggested: Tongan War Dance. He has a strong, powerful base/stance.

The design looks complete and professional.

Beyond that, the concept is bold and expansive but is straying so far into Kaiju territory and away from the Gen 1 Warframe brand that it will alienate a great majority of loyal followers . Check out this snippet I took from another thread that has 13 likes and counting:

"Joke was irrelevant anyways. The dragon frame isn't a dragon. It's a goddamn anteater wrapped in Twizzlers that copulated with an infested ancient!"

The post is important in a number of ways:

1. It shows that there is heavy Infested Ancient/Lephantis influence.

2. The use of the red "twizzler" skin is a poor design choice (I agree, here) because it hides anatomy and distinguishes nothing; it is a sloppy overlay.

3. It echoes the first visceral response many of us had to what could have been any number of different interpretations for dragon: Anteater...followed by horse face...followed by attempts to use pictures of Sea Horses that are also referred to as Sea "Dragons". That is Sooo disappointing and tepid.

In constructive conclusion, I'll say that DE's attempt to expand the brand was valiant but compromised Warframe Brand integrity. While it may not have "eyes", It no longer resembles the Mecha-hero designs many love with their clean, bold lines and strong shapes; it doesn't resemble or suggest dragon in any real sense beyond breathing fire out it's snout.

Chroma doesn't resemble any current frame, but doesn't make up for it by resembling any modern or ancient archetype, either. Go check out the Kaiju Banila from the original Ultraman series...http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Banila

Mesa's design pushed the envelope, but her attitude and archetype deliver in spades as a Gunslinger.

Chroma's gameplay hook might be great (color/elemental), but ultimately his aesthetic design suffers for lack of clear direction. His design echoes infested designs, but does not resemble a frame, does not resemble a dragon, and cannot make up for these weaknesses with an animation suggestive of a strong, fire-breathing Tongan warrior.

Respectfully,

Silverback73

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

Oh look, another one

I guarantee if half of those were released today they'd get complained about.

There is literally no pleasing this community. 

I hit my upvote quota by upvoting posts like this all day, so I'm going to just have to vocally endorse these posts instead.