The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

That's my man ! Make your Chroma OP.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

He's still got 4 more forma to go through before I am done with him!

Just you wait guys! You're all going to regret making fun of him once I am through with him!

Ha! This isn't even his final form! >:D

Are MOST dragons(fantasy) not snake-like creatures?

If you ask me... yes... yes they are.

-snip-

Yes, yes they are. But looking at Chroma, that is more sea-horse look than a serpent one. And in "more like" I mean there is virtually nothing that makes him look serpentine.

So only dragon now (aside Greek, cause that picture is not a dragon per se) that it could be based at, and I can agree to actually see it in his design is : Leafy sea dragon.

Leafy_sea_dragon_by_Ta-graphy.jpg

Edited by tocorro

Yes, yes they are. But looking at Chroma, that is more sea-horse look than a serpent one. And in "more like" I mean there is virtually nothing that makes him look serpentine.

So only dragon now (aside Greek, cause that picture is not a dragon per se) that it could be based at, and I can agree to actually see it in his design is : Leafy sea dragon.

Leafy_sea_dragon_by_Ta-graphy.jpg

I was only clarifying that the word "serpentine" does apply to fantasy dragons.  And yes I do believe Chroma was based on the seahorse/leafy seadragon, aka a "real life" dragon.  You can say that this animal has serpentine-like features such as an elongated body and spine-like things.

Edited by GoatGodJohn

What I fund funny is that IF Chroma was released as a Spiky ver. of Rhino, people would instead complain that he looks too much like his theme (ex. Limbo, Mesa, Hydroid, Nekros, Etc.) and should've looked more ambigous (Ex. Excal [who looks nothing like his theme which is swords]). Can't please everyone.

P.S. Any spelling mistakes are from auto correct.

Edited by reptillicus

What I fund funny is that IF Chroma was released as a Spiky ver. of Rhino, people would instead complain that he looks too much like his theme (ex. Limbo, Mesa, Hydroid, Nekros, Etc.) and should've looked more ambigous (Ex. Excal [who looks nothing like his theme which is swords]). Can't please everyone.

There would be a lot less complaints I guarantee you that. 

Chroma's shown helmet *does* look like a dragons head... may it be the chinese red dragons with the long heads, or from several other mythologies, fairy-tales and classic movies and art that is sword&sorcery-themed.

Playing a game rated M for mature, and yet we have half the forums whining and stomping like 5-year-olds because of a virtual pixel-design. lol

Have you seen a depiction of an eastern dragon before? None of them have a snout that long, I can tell you.

When we play the frame we are forced to look at it. We want it to look good if we see it all the time. Is that too much to ask? Are you any better for calling people five year olds when all we want is a frame closer to the theme that is less ugly?

I struggled to understand how CHROMA actually looks in a T-Pose stance.

Based on the imagery we got I did just that. After doing it I must admit it turned out MUCH better than I thought possible.

But thats just me. Community, what's the Verdict?

chroma_tpose_by_gaber111-d8l9w88.jpg

Based on the imagery we got I did just that. After doing it I must admit it turned out MUCH better than I thought possible.

But thats just me. Community, what's the Verdict?chroma_tpose_by_gaber111-d8l9w88.jpg

This is pretty close. The only thing you missed was the tail. It's more flaired and rectangular at the end.

Chroma was likely inspired by a Greek dragon: http://i58.tinypic.com/23kev6h.jpgjpg

Or the real life sea dragon: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Leafy_Sea_Dragon_3.jpg

If you know anything about Greek culture then you know that that is more like a serpent than a dragon.

Seahorse =/= dragon just because it reminded some scientist of a dragon does not make it a dragon. Seriously, who thinks of a seahorse and immediately thinks "dragon"?

You did a great job. This is how i imagine him in that pose.

That looks better than what we got.

#1. There is no infested look. (goddamn meat armor) 

#2. Looks more scaled.

#3. No verdict on the helmet. 2D is =/= 3D

Final verdict. I think your drawing looses something from the transfer from 3D to 2D and somehow makes it better looking. It looks cleaner and less messy which is much of what is needed to improve chroma's look. The tail is not tapered, it is flat like a beaver's tail on the regular chroma. (Who the hell designs a beaver tail for a dragon frame anyways?!) 

Edited by Invalid_Infinity

I think the bigger issue is the frame just looks kind of ugly, as shown by the number of people who would warm up slightly to it even with just a helm change. being vaguely themed is just a minor concern, and one i think people are just tossing out to further validate their negative reaction. (i also don't think you can't quite apply chroma's case to the war or overly themed vs vague frames, since unlike most vaguely themed frames chroma does fit a theme, just not the one it was set out for)

If you know anything about Greek culture then you know that that is more like a serpent than a dragon.

Seahorse =/= dragon just because it reminded some scientist of a dragon does not make it a dragon. Seriously, who thinks of a seahorse and immediately thinks "dragon"?

Since we can only go off of artistic depiction, it is eerily similar, even if it is called a Cetus. Eastern dragons and Coatls are serpentine, why are they considered more dragon-like?

Sea horses and sea dragons aren't the same thing. I'd wager that a fair amount of people would compare it to the mythical creature if shown it without the name.