Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Melee Outdps Firearms?

Yinglong

The only criticism I have about melee is lack of mobility due to high stamina usage. I know some will say "lol lern 2 copter noob!" but I'm not talking about flinging yourself all the way across a room. I'm talking about going ten feet to attack the next closest  enemy at a crawl because one combo with your dual zorens just nuked your stamina bar. Funny the one playstyle that has the most need of stamina suffers the most because of current mechanics.

Exactly...

The current system force you to use roflcopter (i like the word ^^ )

Enemy accuracy (movement does nothing!)

Worthless blocking

Pile of CC heavy enemies.

Enemy spawns (enemies will pretty much always be all around you)

Locked combos (take your time, finish that flashy twirl pay no attention to the incoming ancient)

All bigger issues than DPS when it comes to melee.

I'm going to say yes, since your getting in close to the enemy(s) and could be surrounded you should while in close range to your enemy be able to deal more damage to them then with a ranged weapon. And generally this would be the case in real life as a sword is capable of cutting a person in half, granted some firearms can also rip people apart but for the most part a sword will do more damage in close range.

I think some people don't want it, because they prefer guns and fear that it would suddenly be the weaker option if melee does more DPS, so they might get forced into melee.

That wouldn't be true. Melee gameplay still come with a lot of risks while doing so, and I'm not talking about radial blind melee or invisibility melee where you don't need to block or anything.

Small melee (fist and daggers for example) needs to strictly out-DPS guns because that's all they will have going for them.

Large melee, while being optimizable for single-target DPS by different stances, should look to take advantage of large swings and stagger/status, along the lines of Dynasty Warriors melee.  Essentially, they should trade the danger of self-explosions of explosive weapons with the danger of being that close to so many enemies.  

I'm not sure where this would put medium melee, though (Staves and Dual swords).

Since you're going in close fight which allow you to get killed pretty easy, yeah they should in my opinion.

Plus, in lategame, melee should be a real way to deal damage that surpass other weapon, this way the risk would be worth it.

(because seriously using melee against level 50+ enemies... unless you're invisible or called valkyr, nobody does that)

Uh... 

Hi, my name is Excalibur, welcome to Warframe. 

(Warframe Theme music plays)

I'm gonna throw a no at the poll, and here's why;  Melee should generally be about more than straightforward DPS.  Going melee should, as far as I'm concerned, provide other meritable benefits to the player who goes that route.  I'm talking stuff like boosted raw mobility options, the ability to block (we do have this but I'd like to see it expanded on somehow), a straight bonus to player damage resistance while in melee mode, and a greater focus on variable damage, stuns, and forced status procs.

With melee it would be instead about getting in, hitting a dude, then hitting a different dude, then blocking stuff or dodging around, then hitting more dudes.  Rather than just having melee outdo guns at their role, I'd prefer seeing melee become exemplary at its own role.  Carving out a niche in a realm that isn't purely grounded in DPS numbers.

I already hate the over-focus on DPS as it stands anyways but that's a rant for another day.

I'd like this, but I think it's an idealistic, very optimistic view of what melee could maybe possibly probably-not-but-who-know be. I would love to see it happen but would think that it won't.

I'll have to say yes to damage, because though I'd prefer the dexterity approach to dealing damage, I don't think it's a viable system.

A few of the biggest issues with Melee are the lack of real gap closers and the time it takes to weapon swap. It creates a situation of why bother with melee other than for coptering and lifestrike for me.

Gap closing isn't really an issue but weapon swap time, particularly when not in melee mode, is a killer.

I'd like this, but I think it's an idealistic, very optimistic view of what melee could maybe possibly probably-not-but-who-know be. I would love to see it happen but would think that it won't.

I'll have to say yes to damage, because though I'd prefer the dexterity approach to dealing damage, I don't think it's a viable system.

Yeah.... sadly despite my post I too don't really believe it will really happen.  But it's what I'd prefer to see happen for sure.  Melee out-DPSing guns would mean all the stances are entirely pointless, pretty much single handedly removing pretty much everything that was put forth with melee 2.0, which is why I'd prefer not to see it.

But it's a shot in the dark at best, I'll try to be hopeful on that matter though.

Gap closing isn't really an issue but weapon swap time, particularly when not in melee mode, is a killer.

I tend to disagree, while swap speed is huge problem for everything, melee requires gap closer for enemies who run from you at faster speed than you move while attacking with melee, having no gap closer makes you eat bullets from close range every time that enemy decides to run while still accurately shooting at you, having again no penatly to ranged combat despite movement and not facing enemy which is attacking you from point blank range.

I tend to disagree, while swap speed is huge problem for everything, melee requires gap closer for enemies who run from you at faster speed than you move while attacking with melee, having no gap closer makes you eat bullets from close range every time that enemy decides to run while still accurately shooting at you, having again no penatly to ranged combat despite movement and not facing enemy which is attacking you from point blank range.

This is more of a problem with combos and E spam than melee itself.  I rarely repeatedly do normal swings except to inflict procs and most combos are not functional due to locking you in place, so I don't bother with them.  I stick to slide attacks, aerial melee ->slam attack, and ground finishers and as a result, I don't have many issues gap-closing.