Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do People Want More Stances?

(PSN)WiiConquered

Keeping it short for once: I often see people asking for new melee stances, and I'm curious as to why. I'd definitely prefer having fewer stances with more combos to having more stances with fewer combos.

EDIT: Looks like I was too short for once. I'd rather have tons of different fighting options on one combo than have one fighting option on tons of combos. I wish I could have quicker attacks similar to Iron Phoenix and slower attacks like Crimson Dervish all on one stance, for example. Granted, I can see how more melee buttons might be necessary for this to work, but generally if a combo could work on an existing stance I'd rather see it there.

Edited by (PS4)WiiConquered

More stances = More ways to wield the same Gear.

Lets just, for the sake of argument, say that there were like 10 stances available for any one Weapon type. Each with a little niche thing it's good at + a nice set of animations.

That is, to many people, super desirable. Because now you can breath some extra life into a Melee Weapon you like in 10 different ways.

More stances = More ways to wield the same Gear.

That is, to many people, super desirable. Because now you can breath some extra life into a Melee Weapon you like in 10 different ways.

Its the same idea but coming from the other direction..

More stances = More ways to make _different_ gear actually feel different.

Maybe the best example is the 2 stances for the 10 dual swords.  I for one want my Dual Kamas to act and play differently than my Dex Dakra or my Dual Cleavers.

Maybe the best example is the 2 stances for the 10 dual swords.  I for one want my Dual Kamas to act and play differently than my Dex Dakra or my Dual Cleavers.

There's too many Dual Swords and not enough stances for them! I demand Dual Hatchets stances for the Ichors, Zorens, Zaras, Cleavers, and Kamas. This leaves 5 dual swords, and 5 are changed to new weapon type. Normal Swords are also too generalized.

Edited by (PS4)LIGHTNINGCOMBAT

Well, I don't tend to think of Stances like they are related to the weapons themselves.

I don't like the idea of every second melee weapon having a stance that is supposed to be 'It's stance'.

Nah, see. Your Melee Weapon is just what you swing. Your Stance is how you swing it.

So do you swing around the Dakra Prime like it's some Chinese sword or are you laying into your opponent like a European Knight?

Same goes for the Heavy melee. Some stances have wider, spinning attacks. One has you bouncing about like a lunatic almost. Different flavors on how you handle a weapon type. 

So, like, when I saw I want a Longsword weapon that is a Rapier instead of a normal sword that is totes true. It could be a Puncture melee weapon.

But I also want a Stance that makes me wield that weapon like I'm fencing and I want it not because I want a Rapier weapon but because I want to be able to use any Longsword like a Rapier if I feel like it.

Well, I don't tend to think of Stances like they are related to the weapons themselves.

I don't like the idea of every second melee weapon having a stance that is supposed to be 'It's stance'.

Nah, see. Your Melee Weapon is just what you swing. Your Stance is how you swing it.

So do you swing around the Dakra Prime like it's some Chinese sword or are you laying into your opponent like a European Knight?

Same goes for the Heavy melee. Some stances have wider, spinning attacks. One has you bouncing about like a lunatic almost. Different flavors on how you handle a weapon type. 

So, like, when I saw I want a Longsword weapon that is a Rapier instead of a normal sword that is totes true. It could be a Puncture melee weapon.

But I also want a Stance that makes me wield that weapon like I'm fencing and I want it not because I want a Rapier weapon but because I want to be able to use any Longsword like a Rapier if I feel like it.

My main problem with the dual swords category is 75% (if not more) of them are not dual swords.  Some are axes, some are sword and dagger, etc.  So there should be sword stance(s), axes stance(s), etc.

My main problem with the dual swords category is 75% (if not more) of them are not dual swords.  Some are axes, some are sword and dagger, etc.  So there should be sword stance(s), axes stance(s), etc.

Agreed! I just enjoy the idea that I could, if I wanted, put an Ax sort of stance on a pair of Swords.

Really that all I'm going on about.

The desire for more stances is the desire more more flavors of swinging our tools of death.

Agreed! I just enjoy the idea that I could, if I wanted, put an Ax sort of stance on a pair of Swords.

Really that all I'm going on about.

The desire for more stances is the desire more more flavors of swinging our tools of death.

I guess I'd just prefer if we had more ways of doing so per stance. I want to use Swirling Tiger and Crossing Snakes together, to choose at any moment whether I'll use finesse or force.

Because if you have two different stances, those are two different sets of combos that can't be on one stance.

I thought the process was that they make a stance mod, build the combos that are based of the stance and put them in there. Not build the combo animations that the animators felt like making, make the stance mod and put whatever they want in those stance mods...

I thought the process was that they make a stance mod, build the combos that are based of the stance and put them in there. Not build the combo animations that the animators felt like making, make the stance mod and put whatever they want in those stance mods...

They definitely build stance mods with certain purposes in mind, but they could still do that with more general stances. Most of them don't require grip changes or anything like that, so I don't really see why they couldn't be consolidated.

because i dont want to memorize 5-6 combo variations for one stance. I'd perfer to have the 2-3 combos and just switch stances to use more combos.

Combo based melee isnt really WFs strong point,. If it was something like DMC, i'd be happy with 50 combos. IMO, M&K hold back the melee and parkour in this game, making it somewhat stiff and feels secondary to gunplay.

We want stances that don't suck (looking at you Iron Phoenix) but also new ways to use weapons we already have. That's part of the reason people love the Ninkana so much (aside from the insane damage and sexiness). Three stances for three completely different playstyles.