Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Punch Through Allow To De Extra Damage?

angias

I mean yeah.

The projectile enter in the enemie but if it go like 1Meter deeper wouldn't it do extra damage?

If it goes through the enemie wouldn't it be the same case??

Does it make sense? or i'm just dumb??

I get where you're coming from. I mean, it'd be only logical that something that goes clean through someone would cause more damage than if it stopped within that somebody's body. However, I don't think it would work gameplay-wise. Punch-throughs already do more damage to enemies, since the same projectile cans cause damage to more than one enemy. Adding even more damage would just throw off the balance a bit too far.

Punch through is already allowing weapons to do up to triple damage or better depending on conditions. Yeah sure, it won't show that one anyone's WF builder paper numbers. But if you fire an assault rifle with Shred into a crowd you are likely hitting at least two targets per round... doubling your damage. Now if you fire say an Amprex into a crowd with Metal Auger on it and hit three targets with the primary beam? Lets just say that you are going to be doing immense amounts of extra damage.

Not to mention that punch through improves your DPS efficiency in non-standard ways by letting you have your rounds go through railings and other small obstructions. So that cowardly corpus/grineer who barely has the top of their head sticking out from behind the box gets riddled with hot lead because you can just fire through the edge of the box.

In real life ammunition that goes cleanly through human bodies are used in a less lethal goal since they actually do less damage to the body and are mostly used to incapacitate.

If anything punch through should make weapons deal less damage rather than more because lethal ammunition is actually meant to stay in the body and break while inside, the parts being carried through the body by inertion and thus they do massive internal damage not to mention have a high stopping force which contributes to the wounds.

Punch through, like multishot, in their current form, are more gamey mechanics than realistic representations of ballistics. As such, I would say no to them doing extra damage.

Exactly this.

Punch through is simply a game mechanic and it doesn't actually represent the bullet passing through the target. Logically, punch through should also make weapons ignore shields and armor, but it doesn't. That would be broken as hell.

It's basically a "+crowd control" mod, and should stay that way.

Considering the mod costs a whopping 15 mod slots and is in a ~ polarity, I don't see a problem with giving it a bit of extra damage. Metal Auger is really not that powerful anyway unless it's used on snipers and such that need it to be an effective weapon.

Considering the mod costs a whopping 15 mod slots and is in a ~ polarity, I don't see a problem with giving it a bit of extra damage. Metal Auger is really not that powerful anyway unless it's used on snipers and such that need it to be an effective weapon.

This isn't true at all. It can easily double or triple effective DPS, moreso in bottleneck situations. Adding damage on top of that would be overkill.

I get where you're coming from. I mean, it'd be only logical that something that goes clean through someone would cause more damage than if it stopped within that somebody's body. However, I don't think it would work gameplay-wise. Punch-throughs already do more damage to enemies, since the same projectile cans cause damage to more than one enemy. Adding even more damage would just throw off the balance a bit too far.

On the contrary, as CTanGod said, bullets that slow down inside of you are considerably more dangerous then bullets that go clean through (provided they don't hit vital points in which you're screwed either way)

For instance people have survived getting shot in the head if the bullet goes clean through, but 22. caliber bullets have a tendency to not make it out the back of a person's skull and instead bounce around inside, turning your brain into a slushy.

Edited by rapt0rman

For instance people have survived getting shot in the head if the bullet goes clean through, but 22. caliber bullets have a tendency to not make it out the back of a person's skull and instead bounce around inside, turning your brain into a slushy.

I don't think we needed the example, but it did make me chuckle. I'm so going to hell...

I was thinking more like a mushrooming round vs. AP. The first spreads (or shatters, talking generically here) while the first stays intact; the former is much more dangerous to unarmored flesh.

That said, I could see an argument for increased damage if we manage to line up multiple body parts in the same shot. For example, shooting someone in *both* knees has gotta hurt more than just shooting one.

I think it would actually be the contrary, the more mass the bullets goes through the more speed it loses, so less force at the end and less damage.

Depends on the consistency of that mass, and how the bullet was designed. 

A hollow point will expand inside the target and cause much more damage than let's say...a standard FMJ round.

Depends on the consistency of that mass, and how the bullet was designed. 

A hollow point will expand inside the target and cause much more damage than let's say...a standard FMJ round.

The mass would be grineer armor and flesh, I don´t know much about bullets, but I have the understanding that bullets of smaller calibers or that expand deal more damage because they bounce inside the body (no punch throough), but bullets from rifles, with much more power and aerodinamics are the ones that do "punch through" but leave cleaner exit wounds, so i´m thinking that a bullet can´t do both ??.

The mass would be grineer armor and flesh, I don´t know much about bullets, but I have the understanding that bullets of smaller calibers or that expand deal more damage because they bounce inside the body (no punch throough), but bullets from rifles, with much more power and aerodinamics are the ones that do "punch through" but leave cleaner exit wounds, so i´m thinking that a bullet can´t do both ??.

Wait wait wait. Now we are talking about realistic bullet physics? I don't see this happening. There are numerous games that have realistic ballistic physics. Arma, Ghost Recon, etcetera.

Warframe is a stylistic game. There is no readable explanation for multishot except for shot guns or some kind of super accelerating sabot Thower. And then you got shields and other issues like unrealistic armor and health systems.