The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pc 16.9.0: Excalibur Feedback Megathread

[DE]Rebecca

I really like what they did with Excal, but something is still missing as a Melee frame. And I think the utility of the combos is probably it. Currently, given that he shoots waves of energy with each swing, and the 'normal combo' is the fastest, there is little reason to use the others. I love using combos, I like strategy, as I think it is the heart of being a good 'melee' frame; keeps it interesting. But currently, as was mentioned, there is really no point in using the other combos. Please DE, finish this frame, and give him some epic combos... give us a reason to use them, situations to use them in. As was mentioned, at the end of one combo, perhaps he does a 360 degree slash that sends out a circular wave. Of what if at the end of one combo it activates your slash dash, kinda like the slide attack activates your radial blind. Or what if one had a few slow strikes, and then at the end had a frenzy of like 5 quick strikes. Again, all useful in different situations, and that would play nice into this 'melee' frame. If they could amend that, I think excal would really be a contender for number 1 for me.

This was probably mentioned already, but what if Slash Dash were to speed up based on the number of enemies targeted?

So a single-target cast would have the same speed that it does now, but a 5-target cast would be MUCH faster than it is now, quickly zipping between enemies and almost matching the speed of a single-target cast.

So you can freely cast SD without worrying about being taken out of the fight for too long, since cast times will be similar no matter how many enemies you end up targeting. (Compare with most other offensive abilities, whose cast times don't change based on enemies targeted. Contrast with Bladestorm, whose cast time depends entirely on how many enemies are targeted and can potentially suck you out of the fight at critical times.)

While Exalted blade is active it will use every energy orb you walk over even if you are close to the max. This makes it difficult to save energy orbs for later when they are made in abundance.

A relatively simple solution would be to add a short cooldown after you fill your energy pool completely that prevents you from picking up orbs again for ~5 seconds.

Interesting idea, though I think a toggle to prevent energy pickups when you have 24 or less energy missing might be better.

This was probably mentioned already, but what if Slash Dash were to speed up based on the number of enemies targeted?

So a single-target cast would have the same speed that it does now, but a 5-target cast would be MUCH faster than it is now, quickly zipping between enemies and almost matching the speed of a single-target cast.

So you can freely cast SD without worrying about being taken out of the fight for too long, since cast times will be similar no matter how many enemies you end up targeting. (Compare with most other offensive abilities, whose cast times don't change based on enemies targeted. Contrast with Bladestorm, whose cast time depends entirely on how many enemies are targeted and can potentially suck you out of the fight at critical times.)

Was toying with the same idea, I really appreciate the animation guys wanting to show off their work, but this game favors a REALLY fast pace.

Also, add to this tweak: button hold - Slash Dash goes through it's intended targets (hopefully they are highlighted, as per tris1's suggestion), when you release, the ability is canceled. Single tap makes you target no enemies at all, used solely for mobility. Add an augment that makes you invisible while SDing and voilà, you can, more or less, replicate SJ.  

Edited by tisdfogg

How strong i feel with excaliburs rework:

yIT7Arb.gif

should be excal's Charge EB attack (if its ever added) :P (i would love if it had a charge attack...the normal combos are getting boring already as they dont do anything special except looks)...and faster ofc

I have to mention that Excal could already do any content the game has (excluding raids with which I have no experience nor want to). 

That's not to say he is the most suitable, but claiming he is unviable as a general statement is blatantly wrong. Especially without proper context, which you only seem to mention with a seemingly arbitrary 60 min mention.  I can personally assure you that even before his rework it's entirely possible to go at least 2 full rotations on any T4, which literally means he can clear anything the game has to offer(raid excluded).

You are right that there are situations where there are better options, but aside from the raid, it's not worth mentioning since it's neither new content, or in any way required. It's okay if you enjoy 90+ min endless modes, but don't pretend it's anything more then entirely optional and unbalanced mess(which it is by very nature due to infinite stat scaling).

Speaking of group compositions, unless you do the raid, or an unnecessarily long Endless, you should literally never have any issue. Well, unless some are lacking mods n stuff, or brains, or both.

Edit: Seems Excal can do the raid just fine.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed hidden quote

I was gonna let this go, but I have to mention that Excal could already do any content the game has (excluding raids with which I have no experience nor want to).

That's not to say he is the most suitable, but claiming he is unviable as a general statement is blatantly wrong. Especially without proper context, which you only seem to mention with a seemingly arbitrary 60 min mention.  I can personally assure you that even before his rework it's entirely possible to go at least 2 full rotations on any T4, which literally means he can clear anything the game has to offer(raid excluded).

You are right that there are situations where there are better options, but aside from the raid, it's not worth mentioning since it's neither new content, or in any way required. It's okay if you enjoy 90+ min endless modes, but don't pretend it's anything more then entirely optional and unbalanced mess(which it is by very nature due to infinite stat scaling).

Speaking of group compositions, unless you do the raid, or an unnecessarily long Endless, you should literally never have any issue. Well, unless some are lacking mods n stuff, or brains, or both.

I did a 4man raid today as Excal and it was very easy. We had a Trin, Nova, Loki and me as Excal. I just spammed RB since I had unlimited energy because of our Trinity. I was practically invincible because of the parry and my burst dps with RB which was never really needed other than for making short work of the G3 in the hijack part. One of the easiest runs I've ever done.

The only thing I want is that Channeled attacks and maybe combos change the waves to look more damaging. Like thicker, brighter, longer. A way to feel this is going to destroy crap. Asthetic changes like that would make the ability feel much stronger.

How strong i feel with excaliburs rework:

yIT7Arb.gif

Yeah !! My feelings exactly !! So much fun playing him !

The only thing I would argue is the no-nikana no-dual swords bonus on EB, which is a bug, as we know anyways.

Talking about Slash Dash; the targeting system seems to work somewhat like Ash's Blade Storm, take some time do line your targets close to your crosshair. I've manage to SD through roughly ten targets, ping-ponging then just like the archwing trailer (so cool). Also, I've notice Excal only hits enemies who were in his cone-shaped AOE at the time SD was cast; should any enemy walks in LOS as he is already dashing, such enemy wont get hit, no matter the proximity. (by the way, I had [100% range and 20% duration] or [50% range 120% duration], hit at times 1 enemy, at times a bunch of them, so it doesn't seemed affected by these stats...)

As for Radial Javelin, man, efficiency: Costing 75, or 18~19 with max eff, recast it at will ! I manage to clear entire rooms, even with the 12 Javelins cast.

As for survivability, mod him in a good way and play him with his pros and cons in mind and you should be fine. Doing a lvl 40 Corpus defense, I constantly found myself reviving my comrades; EB on, SD to get close, clearing the way, RJ, RB, revive with peace of mind.

All in all, mod him right, play Excal as Excal, not as Valkyr, Frost, Loki, or whatever (this is the same for all the frames, they're f*&%$ng different! play differently) and you should be fine.

His rework is fantastic, EB is a great skill (fixing the swords bonus will be nice), synergizes great with all of his abilities, a true swordsman frame indeed.

Edited by idZefir

I did a 4man raid today as Excal and it was very easy. We had a Trin, Nova, Loki and me as Excal. I just spammed RB since I had unlimited energy because of our Trinity. I was practically invincible because of the parry and my burst dps with RB which was never really needed other than for making short work of the G3 in the hijack part. One of the easiest runs I've ever done.

I figured he would be fine, but I try to stay away from making claims I can't/won't reproduce myself. Just covering my bases ;). But thanks, did ya do the nightmare version by any chance to? :P 

I figured he would be fine, but I try to stay away from making claims I can't/won't reproduce myself. Just covering my bases ;). But thanks, did ya do the nightmare version by any chance to? :P 

Nah, I always keep the nightmare raid open for an alliance group who only want specific frames so I can't really test it but it wouldn't really make a difference at all. The nightmare raid is not any harder if your group is competent enough.

slash dash: needs to highlight enemies which are being targeted that way you know who you will hit and if you missed them

the arc radius might need increasing unless its a bug that I have huge groups together but only hit about 1-3

radial javelin: still needs a rework or tweaks its less useful than radial blind and his 4th even his 1st can do more damage

finisher damager

adds to combo counter

radial blind gives it a stealth multiplier

stun increased by duration mods

radial blind: LOS still needs fixing or something needs to be done about it. it still misses enemys that are in groups while if an enemy is behind a door line but the door is open it will not always blind the target. while targets also maybe have just a foot or a leg behind a box and are looking at you still will not get blinded and the annoying part it it says LOS yet if I can see an enemy above me or below me it will not always hit them either. should make Excalibur glowing giving all the enemy's not hit by LOS accuracy reduction

finisher animation change to a different key to allow normal melee or finisher melee

EB-

auto parry needs to block knockdowns and procs if you blocking

air slashes should add to the combo counter or give a slash proc but the slash increases every air slash

radial blind range a bit more range just enough so you don't have to be directly in front of the target, im not saying miles away im just saying about 4-5 steps away

should be excal's Charge EB attack (if its ever added) :P (i would love if it had a charge attack...the normal combos are getting boring already as they dont do anything special except looks)...and faster ofc

Agreed, it doesnt have to be that enlightened like sabers (the one shown in the gif) but i would love a maximum power attack if it would be possible to do such. I would love to have an increase in speed and charge jumps, maybe we'll be able to fight like saber or similiar when parkour 2.0 comes out? :D

Yeah !! My feelings exactly !! So much fun playing him !

The only thing I would argue is the no-nikana no-dual swords bonus on EB, which is a bug, as we know anyways.

Talking about Slash Dash; the targeting system seems to work somewhat like Ash's Blade Storm, take some time do line your targets close to your crosshair. I've manage to SD through roughly ten targets, ping-ponging then just like the archwing trailer (so cool). Also, I've notice Excal only hits enemies who were in his cone-shaped AOE at the time SD was cast; should any enemy walks in LOS as he is already dashing, such enemy wont get hit, no matter the proximity. (by the way, I had [100% range and 20% duration] or [50% range 120% duration], hit at times 1 enemy, at times a bunch of them, so it doesn't seemed affected by these stats...)

As for Radial Javelin, man, efficiency: Costing 75, or 18~19 with max eff, recast it at will ! I manage to clear entire rooms, even with the 12 Javelins cast.

As for survivability, mod him in a good way and play him with his pros and cons in mind and you should be fine. Doing a lvl 40 Corpus defense, I constantly found myself reviving my comrades; EB on, SD to get close, clearing the way, RJ, RB, revive with peace of mind.

All in all, mod him right, play Excal as Excal, not as Valkyr, Frost, Loki, or whatever (this is the same for all the frames, they're f*&%$ng different! play differently) and you should be fine.

His rework is fantastic, EB is a great skill (fixing the swords bonus will be nice), synergizes great with all of his abilities, a true swordsman frame indeed.

I agree to your points, i only had time at the moment to do a high lvl defense and my survivability increased greatly in comparison to before. Im excited for future reworks of other frames.

my feels about his rework were more along the line of:

a7m4zqC.gif

I rather would have chosen the one where he protects sinon (bullet jedi :3 ) but agreed, i can relate to this feeling

So is there any plan to make any modifications whatsoever to Radial Javelin?

I remember the devs saying at one point that tweaks would be made to prevent Blind and Javelin from having overlapping roles, but that just didn't happen. No matter how you look at it, Blind is pretty much a direct upgrade to Javelin once enemies start tanking it (unless you're in a rep-farm squad that's built to augment and refuel Excal's javelin-spamming).

If the overall concept of Javelin isn't changing (i.e. it's still the same 360-degree LoS-using radial stun), then can we at least get some sort of offensive use that lets it actually have something that Blind can't do?

e.g.

- Javelins will ragdoll survivors away from Excalibur.

- Javelins will scale from the melee combo multiplier, but not add to them. (This lets Excal basically "charge up" his 3 through melee combos, allowing for more late-game scaling without the risk of press3towin.)

Stuff like that. Just make it different from Blind, and not worse in every way.

Edited by SortaRandom

Found the source of the carrier bug on Excalibur i was able to reliably cause the bug it seems after activating radial javiline with exsalted active you are unable to pick up items or interact with consols or players. Deactivating exsalted and casting radial javilen again seems to fix it 50% of the time

Hey Tenno. Just a reminder to stay on topic and refrain from insulting one another. The thread's purpose is to provide constructive feedback on Excalibur's rework so that we can continue to improve him. Comparing skill and performance in the game derails the topic and could lead to a lock if continued, so please be mindful of your responses. 

Thank you. 

Very nice patch today, Nikana and dual sword passive finally works in exalted blade mode, Wave damage does the same damage as melee swings taking into account all melee mods. My favourite part, blade waves now can crit also proccing berserker. Only question left is if the blade waves are supposed to contribute to the melee combo counter  

That's not an Excal but, that's a Warframe bug...lol...come on people 

A relatively simple solution would be to add a short cooldown after you fill your energy pool completely that prevents you from picking up orbs again for ~5 seconds.

^This could work in our favor and not...but I wouldn't mind DE doing a test run of this

Well that was the first time I've encountered that particular, thanks for pointing that out.