The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What're Your Thoughts On The Upcoming Shotgun Rework?

LikeABawsh

Title. The most recent devstream talked about optimal damage ranges, weapon damage falloff and how some shotguns may get a (up to) 3x their current damage output while upclose. 

Personally I'm pretty excited to see how the meta may change and what shotguns will become more geared towards late game content. I think the Sobek might be worth building again if this rework is up to scratch.

Also what happened to Focus?

I'm pretty excited myself, for me shotguns haven't been worth the inventory space other then wraith and such. Maybe it'll change with it, I hope it'll be good.

Also, I don't remember D.E. saying it but is the re-work for shotguns only or shotgun-type weapons, mainly the Brakk?

Edited by OokamiDamashi

Not much to say, other than that the fix will definitely make the Shotgun class full of the close-range decimators that it should have. Though, Kohm will probably have stupidly broken damage output with the damage ramp-up mechanic.

Edited by Sonitorum

Kohm, Strun Wraith, Boar Prime and Hek with augment will be pretty good. But the thing we do not know well is how the faloff will work.

I really do hope they get shotties on par with current end game gear, I loved playing with bugged Drakgoon ( it was decently capable of running t3 content without many forma investment ).

I haven't seen the latest dev stream so this is news to me! I literally have every shotgun (minus the regular boar) and now looking foward to using more than just my Hek, Strwaith, Drakgoon, and Boar Prime.

On seconed thought, if the hek gets a buff as well, I may never use another primary ever again! It shall forever be my most used weapon!

Edited by nickelshark

hopefully Shotguns finally have an actual role in Warframe, and not just being Overpowered as f... or the thing everyone makes fun of.

hopefully they're flexible, like just about every other Weapon is.

hopefully we throw out Damage Falloff with extreme prejudice. we aren't, but the amount of reduction of it that would be appropriate means you might as well just completely cull it.

and realize that Accuracy alone makes Shotguns very ineffective and inefficient at longer Ranges, without any need to reduce their Damage.

and realize that if someone wants to use Tainted Shell to make their Shotgun into a Sniper Rifle that shoots slower, does less Damage, but has more Ammunition availability - let them. it's not that great an idea in the first place, and certainly won't make them Overpowered.

and i really want substantial Crit and Status bonuses for Enemies that are closer to you! they're going to make all the difference for effectiveness, and satisfying use.

which would also mean we will be eagerly awaiting a Crit Shotgun someday, that has a decent Crit Chance, and with the Crit Bonus when close, would be able to be a great contrast to the existing Shotguns.

lastly, for the love of god, Status Chances should be calculated per Pellet. don't trick people with the Arsenal. revert it back to the same as Crit Chance, the Chance per pellet.

and then have a stat for Projectiles per 'shot'. this will be useful for Shotguns, Burst Weapons, Et Cetera.

and also fix the horrendous formula for Shotgun Status. give decent Chances per Pellet that won't be useless, and like all other freaking Weapons in the game, Status increases the amount to be expected. no sudden spike on the graph line for no reason whatsoever.

will that mean rebalancing the Status Chances on all Shotguns? YES.

What I'm wishing for with the shotgun buffs: Falloff still hurts- BAD, but shotguns are viable if you get up close and personal (they wont take 6 shots to down 1 guy, leaving you point blank and vulnerable for extended periods of time). Kohm gets it's unique mechanics back (projectile bounce and travel time are seriously what made me take interest in it- they were removed because of "performance issues" but in reality I think it was an issue with the consoles, as despite having a low end computer and mirages spamming it- I never even dropped fps). Drakgoon gets made viable (I think I just have a thing for projectiles at this point...). I'd also LOVE to see a pump action shotgun- preferably with a one-shell-at-a-time, interruptible reload mechanic- added to the game to celebrate (I also loved Halo: CE's shotty :3).

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that I'm fairly sure Hek's augment is the only weapon augment there is that is a direct upgrade to a core mod. It's REALLY OP frankly. They need to be careful that they don't balance Hek with the rest of the shotguns in a way that gives you no reason to use anything but Hek still- possibly looking into the mod.

Edited by Stratego89

Not much to say, other than that the fix will definitely make the Shotgun class full of the close-range decimators that it should have. Though, Kohm will probably have stupidly broken damage output with the damage ramp-up mechanic.

Considering the fact that Kohm does great(even to 60 min in t4 surv) I'd say they will probably leave it alone and simply go through and buff the less bullet hose-y type shotguns. I'd wager that Phage will get summarily ignored as well in this regard. I'm actually looking forward to getting out my Hek again if this works out well. The thing I would love to see is good base damage across the board for the rest of the shotties as well as some kind of damage bonus mechanic for closer ranges up to a max bonus at point blank. I never understood damage falloff at range though considering shotties already lose damage at range due to spread mechanics. Before anyone quotes real life facts like loss of kinetic energy causing the slugs/pellets to fall, need I remind you that ABSOLUTELY nothing else in warframe suffers from this damage fall off even if it SHOULD(looking at the bows). Yeah I know bows can't have damage falloff or no one would use them, look at how our shotty selection is now. Literally like two shotguns are usable late game, maybe three if you count the Kohm as an actual shotgun(i see it as more of a scatter gun myself).

To challenge Rifles, Shotguns MUST HAVE to be broken at close range.

Rifles are exceptional at any distance, and Heavy Caliber it's not even a nerf when you need to spread a bit in a crowd.

Have yet to see a game where Rifles are not the most common used weapons because they're simply godlike.

In fact, everyone uses Braton and Soma Prime. (Or Boltor, still a Rifle)

Considering the fact that Kohm does great(even to 60 min in t4 surv) I'd say they will probably leave it alone and simply go through and buff the less bullet hose-y type shotguns. I'd wager that Phage will get summarily ignored as well in this regard. I'm actually looking forward to getting out my Hek again if this works out well. The thing I would love to see is good base damage across the board for the rest of the shotties [...]

I also think the same. Scott said "some shotguns" will receive the DPS buff and not "all shotguns". If they know how well Kohm and Hek are performing they will probably leave those two the way they are now.

That being said, I can't wait to see how much Sobek and Tigris will be buffed.

Edited by neoragdoll

If they do buff Shotties up, I might wanna try Hek out and give Sobek a second "visit" (I used it before and sold it).

These two shotties(Hek and Sobek) had augment mods for it too

That 200% for Hek is definitely a Big YAY for me.

As for Sobek's, im not too sure about this one.

With that has been talked about, I'm not sure much is going to change for the vast majority of shotguns.  Reasons why are simple:

The usual profile for shotguns are small clip size, slow refire rate and long reload times.  The problem here is that most short ranged weapons used are focused on clearing as many enemies as quickly as possible- most of the combat in the game is focused around killing as many enemies as quickly as possible.  Even if you made it so that shotguns could one shot almost anything short of mini-bosses you'd still have a slow room clear time due to the refire rate, mag size and reload times.  The shotguns that would benefit enough to see any use are those that break the usual profile.

Adding an innate punchthrough in addition to the tweaks currently in the pipeline would go a long way to helping shotguns as a whole.

Also what happened to Focus?

They sort of picked it apart and used certain things while scrapping others and it ultimately went away with syndicates and their fangled augments as well as arcanes from raids.

As for the shotgun buffs I think it's about time I started using my hek again.