Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If...? (Lore Discussion)

Aizeol

Disclaimer:  Below is not a statement of fact.  Please ponder and reply

Ok, so I'll make this quick since we've long past the point where we cared to count the number of Tenno origin theory threads.

Theory:

-The Tenno are separate entities from the Warframes.

-The Warframe is made (at least partially) from organic tissue, most likely infected or "treated/combined" with the technocyte virus (or a virus similar to the DS virus, tennocyte perhaps?)

-A Tenno is also a living entity, with a physical "body", that occupies and controls the Warframe.

-A Tenno was human at one point, but was exposed to the Void or a significant amount of Void energy leaving them changed.

-What separates the Warframes from the rest of the Infested is they lack any "will" or "core."  Basically, they have no energy source or connection to the hivemind.

Edit:

Sorry, I should clarify:

My point when saying a Tenno is a physical being is that they are likely just a nervous system (brain + spinal cord) or their bodies have been altered to appear unrecognizable as human.  This means that the Warframe has to work as a body as well for the Tenno, since it is plausible that the Tenno cannot move on their own.

This would allow to the Warframe to bleed (due to "Infested Flesh," the plastids, being a component) and the Tenno also require life support.  The Warframe being more akin to a surrogate body than a suit of armor would mean that not having air is a problem for the Warframe, but not necessarily the Tenno.  Alternatively, the Tenno do require oxygen on their own and the Warframe doubles as life support.

Thoughts?

Edited by Aizeol

This is a pretty common theory around here, and it's practically the "incumbent" theory, for lack of a better adjective.

We know from the Limbo quest that you control a single Tenno, nicknamed "Operator" by Ordis, who can put on multiple Warframes. We know from Alad V that Tenno are NOT energy beings, and have a physical body with bones

Therefore, in order to reconcile one Tenno being able to fit into many different shapes -- such as Nekros, Mag, Rhino, etc. -- the Tenno's body is probably malleable to some degree

Good theory but its actualy the warframe its self is just metal and all sorts while the tenno driving said warframe does have the technocyte disease or known as infested.

How this works is in one of the lores that the site used to have it explained that tenno, were warriors from the orokin chosen to enter a special part of the void. When they did not return investigation was sent. They were found mutated with abilitys far passing any human. They were infected with th the tecnocyte like haydon tenno. But they were able to either slow it down, or stop it with the warframes. But I do know that the warframe's them selves are shells that expand and make the abilities of these tenno stronger and better.

This is a pretty common theory around here, and it's practically the "incumbent" theory, for lack of a better adjective.

We know from the Limbo quest that you control a single Tenno, nicknamed "Operator" by Ordis, who can put on multiple Warframes. We know from Alad V that Tenno are NOT energy beings, and have a physical body with bones

Therefore, in order to reconcile one Tenno being able to fit into many different shapes -- such as Nekros, Mag, Rhino, etc. -- the Tenno's body is probably malleable to some degree

Or it could be the suits fit the Tenno's height, build, and stuff like that.

Or Guyver stuff too.

Probably guyver.

Good theory but its actualy the warframe its self is just metal and all sorts while the tenno driving said warframe does have the technocyte disease or known as infested.

How this works is in one of the lores that the site used to have it explained that tenno, were warriors from the orokin chosen to enter a special part of the void. When they did not return investigation was sent. They were found mutated with abilitys far passing any human. They were infected with th the tecnocyte like haydon tenno. But they were able to either slow it down, or stop it with the warframes. But I do know that the warframe's them selves are shells that expand and make the abilities of these tenno stronger and better.

None of what you said is confirmed fact, let's not state it as such.

Or, the Tenno (the Operator) doesn't inhabit the Warframes corporeally.

Edited by LoopStricken

it could be plausable that dark sector is directly related to warframe.

perhaps the technocyte virus was eradicated off the planet and kept for study in some labs.

then some day the orokin showed up (lore states that they were a true alien species) and soon orokin and humans are working together to make a golden age. they build all sorts of things, great spanning technologies and artwork. and perhaps even created the cephalons to help preserve data and manipulate the technology to our advantage.

but what if they created something that fought back?

perhaps the sentient is the result of rogue A.I.?

the sentient fought back against their orokin masters, with the high state of technology they possess and the orokin relying on it, it was not hard for them to begin killing off the orokin.

perhaps the orokin found the old technocyte virus and unleashed it to help fight against the sentient (perhaps modified it a bit to allow it to take over machines as well) but the sentient had no trouble fighting it off because they already knew how it was eradicated before with the knowledge they kept.

after releasinge the virus humanity had 2 problems to deal with, the infested and the sentient

with technology becoming useless people try to flee into the void, many left, few returned. the few that did return were changed by the void. and soon the orokin saw their change as an importunity to fight back.

building suits around these changed ones they were given simple weaponry, gun and blade to fight back against the sentient, unable to fight back against this old technique and fighting style they were eventually pushed back out of the origin system and into their tombs, with the help of the lotus *spoiler alert* an alien working with the sentient turned traitor the sentients were completely removed from the sol system and eventually the infested as well.

with their golden age over and many casualties caused by the orokin for their carelessness with the infested virus, and creating the sentient the tenno then decided to kill off their former masters, to prevent such a situation from happening once again.

the tenno now in hot water for what they did now hide in cryosleep until they are truly needed, with the rise of the grineer empire a formerly small faction that posed no threat, they now awaken to fight off this new threat.

but little do they know, just beyond the very edges of the solar system the sentient await their chance to strike back once again.

-but that's just my take on it.

Or the Tenno is in the Warframe and almost looks like a human....

To relate this to the thread: It could be but why? It's like saying the Warframe universe is a coma  dream of someone...

it could be plausable that dark sector is directly related to warframe.

It was stated Dark Sector shares some similarities but isn't a cannon source.

Edited by Xilrus

Disclaimer:  Below is not a statement of fact.  Please ponder and reply

Ok, so I'll make this quick since we've long past the point where we cared to count the number of Tenno origin theory threads.

Theory:

-The Tenno are separate entities from the Warframes.

-The Warframe is made (at least partially) from organic tissue, most likely infected or "treated/combined" with the technocyte virus (or a virus similar to the DS virus, tennocyte perhaps?)

-A Tenno is also a living entity, with a physical "body", that occupies and controls the Warframe.

-A Tenno was human at one point, but was exposed to the Void or a significant amount of Void energy leaving them changed.

-What separates the Warframes from the rest of the Infested is they lack any "will" or "core."  Basically, they have no energy source or connection to the hivemind.

Pretty much the default assumption given what we know IMHO.

Though I'd personally alter the last part a bit. Given what was said in devstream 10 I think that Morphics and therefore Forma are actually Technocyte by-products and that the reason Warframes don't function as an Infestation is because they are refined and inert techno-organic material. The sort of thing the Orokin used to be good at until the Old War pushed them to create things quickly and they ended up botching the job and re-creating a variant of the Virus that they bested long ago.

As pure speculation: It could well be that all the modern era infestation came from one entity, Lephantis and that entity may well have been a failed Warframe.

For reference, here is what was said in Devstream 10:

Warframe takes place waaaaay beyond that timeframe, redicilously. If you can imagine what something like that [the technocyte virus in Dark Sector], that integrates itself with the body or could be re-purposed as technology, this idea of, of metal, that is, also. alive and changeable and so on, and the way it channels energy...
When we talked about a sequel ages ago we talked about taking a big leap forward in time and saying: what are the societal repercussions of this idea, vs "and then he just woke up the next day, what did he do"
Edited by SilentMobius

If we take the lore from the spoiler glitches people have been getting

you can say that (or at least how I see it)

- There is one "tenno", they are likely an energy like being or mind. This is your soul. You play as that tenno

- Their are bodies connected to each suit. Only one body. The suit isnt meant to be removed.

- When you change warframes, you are changing bodies. yep. You got a cache of bodies in your liset and you mind swap between them.

- I think without a mind, the body becomes an empty vessel but its still alive. It is animalistic in nature. (I got this theory from Rhino's entry). It could be, also, that without a suit, the body cant really be controlled but this doesnt explain why the rhino user stopped at the last second.

This is all just me tho.

If we take the lore from the spoiler glitches people have been getting

you can say that (or at least how I see it)

Alternatively It's just about the Starmap revamp and the lead in to the Second Dream quest and nothing to do with "remote Tenno" at all.

I'm _very_ disappointed that people have latched onto this one highly-unlikely interpretation of that message. IMHO it don't make a lick of sense

As for the OP, it's already known lore wise that the Tenno were originally humans that went into the Void. The trips there apparently killed most of the people that tried it and the ones that came back were "twisted" and the Orokin made them into the Tenno. It's in the Excalibur Prime's lore entry.

As stated, Alad V already shoots that theory down. The Tenno's body, bones and all, are inside the Warframe

Unfortunately for the devs, their modeling on the original Valkyr model doesn't support that very well. If you look at the inside of the helmet post corpus skin, it would literally have to conform to the skull, without flesh, in order for a head to fit in the helmet. So their own design conflicts and no one is going to buy that there's a body in there with that kind of glaring issue staring them in the face.

There's also the issue that we are swapping frames constantly and the frames are all different heights and body types. Nova is tiny once you realize she's wearing platforms to make her taller than she actually is.

Not to mention the issue with a Chroma frame running around without being "Tenno controlled".

I don't support either side of the issue personally, I'm waiting for official lore to say one way or the other. But there's glaringly obvious reasons why it would make more sense if the Tenno weren't physical beings anymore.

Edited by Ceryk

Ceryk, on 20 Oct 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

As for the OP, it's already known lore wise that the Tenno were originally humans that went into the Void. The trips there apparently killed most of the people that tried it and the ones that came back were "twisted" and the Orokin made them into the Tenno. It's in the Excalibur Prime's lore entry.

Unfortunately for the devs, their modeling on the original Valkyr model doesn't support that very well. If you look at the inside of the helmet post corpus skin, it would literally have to conform to the skull, without flesh, in order for a head to fit in the helmet. So their own design conflicts and no one is going to buy that there's a body in there with that kind of glaring issue staring them in the face.

There's also the issue that we are swapping frames constantly and the frames are all different heights and body types. Nova is tiny once you realize she's wearing platforms to make her taller than she actually is.

Not to mention the issue with a Chroma frame running around without being "Tenno controlled".

I don't support either side of the issue personally, I'm waiting for official lore to say one way or the other. But there's glaringly obvious reasons why it would make more sense if the Tenno weren't physical beings anymore.

All of the Morphology issues can be solved with a simple "The Warframe does it" inspired by "The Guyver" (Which the devs have cited as an inspiration) the Warframes make morphological alterations to the pilot while they are in situ.

I don't have any problem with Chroma being controlled, after all it's only the retrograde technologies of the inhabitants of the Origin system that can't grasp the complexities of a Warframe, we have no idea what the Sentients are capable of.

Finally remember that the Excalibur prime Codex entry is one of the _few_ that have an actual attributed origin for the text. Giving us a perfect opportunity to evaluate whether we think the Orokin would have been truthful in their "official" history of the Tenno and Warframes.

Edited by SilentMobius

Hence the "malleable body" theory

Alternatively It's just about the Starmap revamp and the lead in to the Second Dream quest and nothing to do with "remote Tenno" at all.

I'm _very_ disappointed that people have latched onto this one highly-unlikely interpretation of that message. IMHO it don't make a lick of sense

That is how other people interpreted it?

and here I thought I was super smart.

Its not a bad theory or train of thought. I think it was kinda nodded at long before this glitch and only now is it being brought to the forefront. I always kinda thought that maybe something was controlling the tenno but that there was no real body swapping warframes.

Dont make fun of those poor starving children, you know DE only gives us tiny corn flakes of lore.

WE HUNGER

Sorry, I should clarify:

My point when saying a Tenno is a physical being is that they are likely just a nervous system (brain + spinal cord) or their bodies have been altered to appear unrecognizable as human.  This means that the Warframe has to work as a body as well for the Tenno, since it is plausible that the Tenno cannot move on their own.

This would allow to the Warframe to bleed (due to "Infested Flesh," the plastids, being a component) and the Tenno also require life support.  The Warframe being more akin to a surrogate body than a suit of armor would mean that not having air is a problem for the Warframe, but not necessarily the Tenno.  Alternatively, the Tenno do require oxygen on their own and the Warframe doubles as life support.