The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bacon Linked To Cancer?

JaysInc

"Consumption of processed meat — including hot dogs, bacon, and lunch meats — can definitely increase the risk of cancer, according to a new statement from a World Health Organization research agency."

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/26/9616524/processed-meat-bacon-who-cancer-red-meat

I'm sorry, but what is this blasphemous BS that my brain is ingesting???

Everything can be bad for you if you consume too much of it. Everything. Yes, water can kill you if you drink way too much. Do yourself a favor and ignore those warnings, unless your doctor tells you because you have an illness. I'd rather enjoy my life and live a little less then live 20 years longer and be miserable.

Meh, I'm not going to give up eating bacon because of risk of cancer. There's so many things I do currently that POTENTIALLY can cause cancer it's out of hand (surprisingly smoking is not one of them).

Pretty much.  You'll never be free of the "risk" of cancer simply because our bodies have this fundamental problem regarding replication of cells.  We've evolved to have great physical health until we can make babies and make sure those babies are going to survive. Occurance of cancer in people ages 30 or less is tiny. We've NOT evolved to have great physical health until we're 100 years old;  there's simply no point, biologically speaking. Wanting to live as long as possible is a purely selfish behavior when it comes to evolution. Cancer is basically a reminder by evolution that once we have reproduced (or passed the age where reproduction is likely) we are obsolete and unnecessary.

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation

Welcome to reality. The planet and the universe in general give absolutely zero fruitcakes whether you survive or not. Enjoy your brief visit. :)

but seriously do you think the human body is ok dealing with certain chemicals that are not natural for it to process being ingested in moderate amounts over a long duration ?

your body has no idea what to do with high fructose corn syrup, trans fats like hydrogenated oils or flavor enhancers like mon sodium glumate

all these things are toxic to the human system but they are used in commercial food because they turn a profit - they cost less, are more stable and last longer, sell more etc

the reason why they are sharing that cured meats are linked to cancer is because ever since the 1800s we have been adding nitrate to meat as a preservative 

its really great at keeping meat edible and by itself is not too bad but the reaction it has in the gut or curing process makes NOCs which is what the article is talking about (it doesnt mention nitrosamines cause DNA dmg)

is bacon itself bad ? no

is nitrate bad ? maybe

is NOC bad ? seems so

alot of our meats and many other foods have heaps of nitrates and sulfates added to them, mostly to preserve them and make them look pretty

like as soon as they haul prawns in fresh from the ocean they cover them with sulfphite

it really doesnt matter what the goverment or research scientists tell us of course bombarding the body constantly with unnecessary chemicals is bad for it and of course it will lead to cellular mutation, its just common sense everyone knows this instinctively 

but you gotta eat right and thats the dilemma 

the real problem is on a world government level we invest way too much in industry,consumerism and technology while leaving farming behind while our populations levels soar and this directly correlates to a decrease in food quality

our frail human bodies unfortunately cannot tolerate the toxicity levels, dna damage and cellular mutations of the lower quality 

the only solution is to get serious with farming and make it a primary focus, a new generation of farmer needs to evolve as we reinvest technology and science into our food sources

(meanwhile we spend all our money on the latest iphones, military weaponry and fighting each over stupid concepts like territory and beliefs)

on the other side of the coin genetic engineering would allow us to adjust to our toxic and poisoned food of our homeworld but alas religion holds us back there too 

why is our species so moronic ?