Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Stance On Melee?(Discussion?)

AnOldAlias

Hah. Stance. Get it?

Anyway.

I'm curious as to what your stance on Melee is? Do you believe it feels unique enough to be standing out to other forms of combat in this game, or do you believe it needs tune-ups and some more unique feels to it?

Personally I like the melee here. Though it definitely needs some more uniqueness tied to it and some tweaks.

Personally I'd love to see Charge Attacks be tied in with multiple forms of movement as well. Just as a random thought.
Rolling Charge Attacks.
Air Charge Attacks(Above Slam Point).
Slam Charge Attacks.
Heck, even Latched-On-Wall Charge Attacks.

I think it'd be pretty nice!

Otherwise I'm not sure what else I have in mind.

• Like 1

The most fun I have is hacking through infested hordes with a nice sword and living on the precipice of dying, saved only by the rage/life strike combo. If I stop, I die, and there is no escape. Works best with ODS and a group... Particularly if there is a trust-worthy friend to grab life support :)

All other forms of combat take a backseat roll to that adrenaline rush :)

Combos need to be reworked.

Inputs are terrible.

Why do we have to deal with weird pause, hold, press forward or back (those two are REALLY dumb) if we have TWO UNUSED KEYS in RELOAD and ALT FIRE.

The hit detection could also be more generous. Trying to hit a flying enemy is close to impossible sometimes.

Weapon swap speed also needs an icrease. An aura or a mod is not a fix for this, a band-aid at best.

If above are adjusted and melee mode / performing combos is ACTUALLY worth doing, then I will do so.

Right now, quick melee / frame power / gun is just easier.

Edited by Shifted

Melee feels slow compared to the current flow of combat in the game. Also charge attacks need to be better incorporated into stances allowing us varying degrees of control and damage depending on where we initiate the charge attack in a combo. That is, the result of the charge attack will be different per combo and not per weapon.

I also would like to see melee brought up to the viability of gunplay. There is no one who can tell me that their War or Scindo without frame power can keep up with a Simulor or Tonkor or Soma or Amprex. As it stands, melee feels more like it's for having fun in lower level missions and performing cool moves.

Channeling was a good idea but needs to be looked at. This is because in most cases to make melee effective, you have to be channeling. Thus to use melee you need to always expend energy.

Edited by Mr._Clean

Melee in general needs a damage buff. Charge attacks were a bad idea imo. They should have stayed gone. They are a band aid fix to the fact melee has 1/3 damage potential compared to guns. Channeling is to costly even if u went of an efficency build for a mediocre result. Imo the damage of crimson dervish should be shared by all stances, a master of the staff who is privy to certin techniques is better then someone without right? As is stances are kind of like post release animation fixes for hitboxes which is bad for gameplay imo, they need to be buffed so u using comboes is worth the risk of using melee.

I believe melee is for close combat  (you know those sneaky babes running with a sword at you to cut you open like a tuna can), or as a last resort when you're out of ammo.

I personally don't think is a good practice to try and rely mostly on melee,  as in higher level difficulty missions a few well placed hits from close range can put you out of your "misery"  pretty fast (even with 1000 shields and health). Therefore I strongly don't think melee weapons should be made as efficient as your primary or secondary weapons.

Logically speaking first were the swords and axes and after that, as we progressed, appeared the fire guns as being more efficient.

Melee doesn't need a buff, but a whole new system. Stances should also disappear because it's useless. DE is really making things more complicated than it should be.

There shouldn't be a button to change into melee mode. Melee should get a new meter similar to Rage in most MMO Warrior classes. The more consecutive melee hits you make, the higher the rage/channeling meter goes and the higher damage and faster you move gets. This allows for those that would like to play as melee. 

Charge should be a AOE attack and nothing else. Sorry, but stop it with the fancy attack animations. If you reach MAX Channeling/Rage and unleash a charge attack, a spectacular attack occurs.

I think charge attacks should be faster / do more damage. It is neccessary to be quicker since we currently don't have mods for charge attacks. Damage isn't as neccessary considering, with faster charges with the current damage it would be fine, it's just the damage needs to justify the time it takes to charge. Other than that my stance stays that melee is fine, any buffs are fine and would be appreciated.

HOWEVER

Nerfs should not be there, considering melee is hard enough as it is to play in late game content. It's not impossible and not as hard as some people think, but any nerfs would make it much harder. 

Combo counter needs to last much longer and the multiplier should be buffed. 

Daggers need to have a niche to stand out from every other weapon because as it stands they lack damage and range.
Daggers should have the highest stealth multiplier (without the need for covert lethality)
Daggers should also have the fastest finisher animation, i'm talking almost instant.

Melee needs help.

-I feel like on my good melee weaps I either have to forma the crap out of them or I end up with lots of wasted capacity once I potato because there aren't enough really powerful, high cost mods to throw on.

-I can't fight down stairs, and hitting things above you requires really difficult jumping.

-In sorties / raids getting into melee range is incredibly dangerous, and then you generally do far, far less damage than you would with a safer primary / secondary.

-The timing on combos is really finnicky, and since they just seem to change the tempo of hits and not provide any really earth-shattering changes (outside of stances where one of the many combos gives you a leap attack -- the only ones I bother learning, really) and tie you up in longer-than-quick-melee animations, I don't feel like they really offer many advantages at all outside of aforementioned leap attack and free capacity points.

I don't mind so much the transition between "quick melee" and "I want to stand in my stance and melee all the time" modes, but good lord, for the second one I need a bit more of a reward than the ability to channel and some different and arguably worse animations. The multiplier builds far too slowly and falls off far too quickly for me to want to use it.

From my experience at the beginning of the game, when I didn't had the chance to acquire more advanced primary and secondary weapons, melee was the best bet, as they actually had the highest damage from all of that I could acquire at that time. I was doing missions relying solely on melee as I didn't had sophisticated mods yet and stuff like that.

With time their use restricted more and more, to a point they are more like "ceremonial" ornaments on my warframe.  It almost feels like this his how they were meant to be, to help you at the beginning and after that only to be those weapons to use  in "dark times".

Edited by DuncanHydroho

Only a few stances have a combo worth executing.

The main issue I have with melee is lack of action priority (combo cancelling) and impact feel.

Action Priority:

Certain actions need to have priority for a smoother combat experience.

Actions like blocking, rolling, jumping,... need to be able to cancel out the combo's.

You can clearly see a rocket flying at you, but unfortunately, all you can do is catch it with your face while in the middle of a combo you can't cancel with a block, bullet jump or a roll.

Feel of impact:

At the moment, enemies perform a (rain?) dance when you melee them.

A more satisfying feedback would be knockback. That's what most melee based games do, some games even allow you do perform juggle combo's.

Still, melee 2.0 was a huge step forward! It just needs another push.

• 5 years later...
On 2015-12-08 at 5:08 AM, Mr._Clean said:

Melee feels slow compared to the current flow of combat in the game. Also charge attacks need to be better incorporated into stances allowing us varying degrees of control and damage depending on where we initiate the charge attack in a combo. That is, the result of the charge attack will be different per combo and not per weapon.

I also would like to see melee brought up to the viability of gunplay. There is no one who can tell me that their War or Scindo without frame power can keep up with a Simulor or Tonkor or Soma or Amprex. As it stands, melee feels more like it's for having fun in lower level missions and performing cool moves.

Channeling was a good idea but needs to be looked at. This is because in most cases to make melee effective, you have to be channeling. Thus to use melee you need to always expend energy.

Couldn't agree more, and yet it's insane that DE is nerfing melee in favor of guns, i mean, what are they thinking????