Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strun Wraith Changes

Ketec

Sure the extra damage and clip may feel nice - but it still has one of the worst reload mechanics - per shell - now on top of that it got increased reload time aswell.
It lacks crit and status to compete with other shotguns aswell.

A change in the reload mechanics was needed, not just a stat boost.

The reload mechanics actually seem like a good thing to me, if you develop a habit of reloading at every opportunity, because an "opportunity to reload" is any time you're not going to be shooting/rolling/melee attacking for at least half a second. It also means that you can start a reload at any time, without worrying about whether it's a good opportunity, because you can interrupt the reload by simply shooting (no quick melee or roll required to interrupt) without losing progress on your reload.

And, let's face it, a shotgun like this would have a long reload anyway, though not quite as long as the total to reload all of Strun's shots at once. But... if you're reloading all of it at once, you're Strunning wrong, IMO. Reload constantly, not when you run out.

EDIT: Also, they didn't increase the reload time. They increased the number of shots, which incidentally increases the total reload time, but only if you reload after you've run out.

Edited by AgentSkye

The reload mechanics actually seem like a good thing to me, if you develop a habit of reloading at every opportunity, because an "opportunity to reload" is any time you're not going to be shooting/rolling/melee attacking for at least half a second. It also means that you can start a reload at any time, without worrying about whether it's a good opportunity, because you can interrupt the reload by simply shooting (no quick melee or roll required to interrupt) without losing progress on your reload.

And, let's face it, a shotgun like this would have a long reload anyway, though not quite as long as the total to reload all of Strun's shots at once. But... if you're reloading all of it at once, you're Strunning wrong, IMO. Reload constantly, not when you run out.

EDIT: Also, they didn't increase the reload time. They increased the number of shots, which incidentally increases the total reload time, but only if you reload after you've run out.

The majority of Strun reload complaints come from players who want to do post-post-game content against level 100+ enemies that take the whole magazine to put down.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

The reload is fine. I can reload whIle shooting.

What is not fine, is that I can either have attended an event in the past, OR work hard on the sorties everyday to get the strun wraith.

OR

I can spend 25k creds to instantly get a regular strun that does the exact same damage, but with more slash than impact

^^

This.

I like the gun, but I simply don't care for the new reload mechanics. It looks cool and is well animated, but it simply cripples the weapon when facing very high level enemies. Of course, you don't have to use it there, but...it used to be one of the best shotguns and now is also-ran status because of the new reload mechanics.

It lacks crit and status to compete with other shotguns aswell.

its 15% crit chance is fine, honestly. The new crit chance mod from the event (laser sight?) is pretty nice on the strun wraith. The thing crits a lot more than people give it credit for. 15% doesn't look like much on paper, but it's honestly not that bad in practice. I think it's worth putting laser sight on it for the added crit chance.

I am absolutely baffled at how you can possibly say it lacks status to compete with other shotguns, though. It has the most status chance out of ALL the shotguns in game. it hits 100% status chance easily. and oh man does this thing proc like crazy. I have no idea where you got the idea that its status chance is """lacking"""" compared to other shotguns... what are you on about honestly

I do dislike the reload mechanic, though.

Edited by Soup2504

The reload is fine. I can reload while shooting.

What is not fine, is that I can either have attended an event in the past, OR work hard on the sorties everyday to get the strun wraith.

OR

I can spend 25k creds to instantly get a regular strun that does the exact same damage, but with more slash than impact

Hmm... I see your point, but you left out some important details, as regular Strun also has half the status chance, critical chance, and critical multiplier, along with a 40% smaller magazine, ~27% longer reload per shot, and significantly wider spread (though that might be seen as a good thing by some). The criticals mean Strun Wraith has average base damage of 345, while regular Strun only has 311.25. As a shotgun, the critical chance is rolled so many times--even in a single shot--that an average can be reasonably applied, so it doesn't really matter that the critical chance isn't super high for either of them.

Anyway, I don't think that's really an issue with the Strun Wraith specifically, nor the recent changes to it. More of a general Warframe thing.

EDIT: Wow, I completely missed the "lack of status" comment. There is a certain point at which I have to question whether we're all talking about the same gun.

Edited by AgentSkye

Hmm... I see your point, but you left out some important details, as regular Strun also has half the status chance, critical chance, and critical multiplier, along with a 40% smaller magazine, ~27% longer reload per shot, and significantly wider spread (though that might be seen as a good thing by some). The criticals mean Strun Wraith has average base damage of 345, while regular Strun only has 311.25. As a shotgun, the critical chance is rolled so many times--even in a single shot--that an average can be reasonably applied, so it doesn't really matter that the critical chance isn't super high for either of them.

Anyway, I don't think that's really an issue with the Strun Wraith specifically, nor the recent changes to it. More of a general Warframe thing.

Sounds like a lot of effort for a slightly better gun.

Slightly

Sounds like a lot of effort for a slightly better gun.

Slightly

Once you have the right mods, I don't really see sorties as being that hard to do with 2+ players... with occasional exceptions. However, I'm not sure how hard it currently is to reach the point of being able to tackle sorties almost like any other mission... or how long it takes. Hmm. I may have lost perspective of the difficulty.

The only issue I have with the Strun Wraith being a current sortie reward is that it's the second time this gun has been re-released after its initial introduction, while certain other event weapons have yet to be rereleased at all, including some that are quite old.

Once you have the right mods, I don't really see sorties as being that hard to do with 2+ players... with occasional exceptions. However, I'm not sure how hard it currently is to reach the point of being able to tackle sorties almost like any other mission... or how long it takes. Hmm. I may have lost perspective of the difficulty.

The only issue I have with the Strun Wraith being a current sortie reward is that it's the second time this gun has been re-released after its initial introduction, while certain other event weapons have yet to be rereleased at all, including some that are quite old.

I wasn't referring to the sorties as difficult, I was referring to them as long and tedious.

Like when you get those days that have 2 or more of any mode like defense, survival, excavation, etc etc.

That's when the effort becomes more of a pain to slightly upgrade from a super cheap gun to a slightly better gun.

That's when the effort becomes more of a pain to slightly upgrade from a super cheap gun to a slightly better gun.

I'm curious... Have you ever used the gun? Because if you did, I promise you would not be saying it's "slightly better". The strun wraith is a LOT better than the regular strun. I'm in the simulacrum right now testing out the optimal builds for both weapons, and the strun wraith is outperforming the regular strun by a large margin.

If you really want me to, I can record and prove it to you. Do ask if that's what you want me to do.

The majority of Strun reload complaints come from players who want to do post-post-game content against level 100+ enemies that take the whole magazine to put down.  

Well, to be fair the Strun Wraith would have it's niche then.

But now it has to compede with the Vakor Hek, that reloads in 2 sec (with Seeking Fury) for 8 shots and dosen't even need to bother with a 100% status build because it oneshots anything anyways.

I'm curious... Have you ever used the gun? Because if you did, I promise you would not be saying it's "slightly better". The strun wraith is a LOT better than the regular strun. I'm in the simulacrum right now testing out the optimal builds for both weapons, and the strun wraith is outperforming the regular strun by a large margin.

If you really want me to, I can record and prove it to you. Do ask if that's what you want me to do.

I have 4 forma in the gun. I have had it ever since it was originally released.

I am concerned that it is not enough of a better version of the strun, and that the sobek (which can be obtained from the market) is better than the strun wraith. I have a 4 forma Strun Wraith, and a 4 forma Sobek, and the Sobek hands down beats out this event weapon.

So yes, I have every right to say it's only "slightly better". I test every weapon with various lvl 100 corrupted enemies, including individual vs crowd tests. Against butchers, sure, the Strun Wraith excels better than the Strun, but worse than the Sobek.

Against heavy gunners, the Strun Wraith is beaten by the Strun, but excels over the Sobek slightly

Edited by KotoKuraken

I have 4 forma in the gun. I have had it ever since it was originally released.

I am concerned that it is not enough of a better version of the strun, and that the sobek (which can be obtained from the market) is better than the strun wraith. I have a 4 forma Strun Wraith, and a 4 forma Sobek, and the Sobek hands down beats out this event weapon.

It being "not enough of a better version of the strun" is nothing to be concerned about. It is significantly better. As I've said, I'm testing both guns out as we speak and, again, the wraith is outperforming the normal strun by a large margin. I'm just going to go ahead and record it now, because just saying "it's better" won't be enough proof for most people.

As for the sobek comparison, I don't use the sobek, nor do I find it relevant at all. This is about the strun wraith in comparison to the strun.

Edited by Soup2504

It being "not enough of a better version of the strun" is nothing to be concerned about. It is significantly better. As I've said, I'm testing both guns out as we speak and, again, the wraith is outperforming the normal strun by a large margin. I'm just going to go ahead and record it now, because just saying "it's better" won't be enough proof for most people.

As for the sobek comparison, I don't use the sobek, nor do I find it relevant at all. This is about the strun wraith in comparison to the strun.

You are comparing a credit purchaseable beginner tier shotgun with an event weapon that can achieve 100% status and has no other redeeming feature over any other shotgun in the game.

Of course it's way better than the normal version.

Also: no one would choose the Braton over the Braton Prime for the same reason.

But in the end market bp wepons like the Hek or the Sobek can outperform the Strun Wraith even without the permanent staus procing.

You are comparing a credit purchaseable beginner tier shotgun with an event weapon that can achieve 100% status and has no other redeeming feature over any other shotgun in the game.

But in the end market bp wepons like the Hek or the Sobek can outperform the Strun Wraith even without the permanent staus procing.

I was not the one that started this comparison. I know for sure the wraith is way way way better. I'm talking specifically to someone who believes it to be only "slightly" better than the normal strun.

Market weapons hold no relevance to this whatsoever, since the entire basis of this conversation was "the strun wraith is only slightly better than the strun"

I was not the one that started this comparison. I know for sure the wraith is way way way better. I'm talking specifically to someone who believes it to be only "slightly" better than the normal strun.

Market weapons hold no relevance to this whatsoever, since the entire basis of this conversation was "the strun wraith is only slightly better than the strun"

Well, if you look it that way - It's better to have the plague than the cholera...

While no one would use the Braton over Braton Prime, the mk1 Braton is better than the regular Braton due to the increased slash damage of the mk1 Braton.

This is something I never understood.

Or why the mk1 Paris is better than the regular Paris, being that the freed slot that does not require a speed mod allows for way more damage than the regular Paris packs. 

If you prove that the Strun Wraith is better than the regular Strun, that's good. At least that's something that isn't outclassed by a lower tier weapon.

Edited by KotoKuraken

My eyes are bleeding after the "mid-low tier" part...

Seriously Strun Wraith is awesome, is a weapon you can bring to any mission type against any enemy level, the 100% status don't care about armor or any thing on the other side of the barrel.

The reload mechanic is a nice new thing to me. I agree that the lack of status and critical makes the Strun Wraith a low-tier weapon, and that's what, in my opinion, should be reviewed. 

"lacks in status" ok hold the phone the strun wraith has a 40% status chance at BASE. No mods, no multishot, no nothing, at base it has 40% chance. That is really high and means it's really easy to get to 100% status. The crit isn't that bad on it at all. 15% doesn't seem like a lot, I know, but it seems as though at least one of my pellets will always crit when it hits someone, which means it crits more often than it seems. Sure, the Vaykor Hek is leagues better than the Strun Wraith, but it's by no means a low tier weapon.

Against heavy gunners, the Strun Wraith is beaten by the Strun

This is incorrect. I have video currently uploading. It's gonna take a few minutes to finish uploading, and a few more to process. Just wanna prove it is in fact better, is all.