Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Grinding is not that bad

Pendragon1951

I have been playing Warframe for about 3 years I had never really played a online game because I never really wanted to commit the time, but Warframe really pulled me in and here I am 3 years later. Like most Tenno through those years I had oft times bemoaned how bad the grind was for Warframe parts etc. Well I am here to tell you all how good you have it, it really takes playing another game to give you perspective. I want to preface by saying I really enjoy this other game and in no way using it as a bad example or in any way being negative because as I said I really like this other game I'm just using it as a way to give perspective as to how well we have it here in Warframe. In World of Warships they have these special missions where at the end you get a free special ship. The mission is in about 5 stages, which to obtain the reward you must complete the stages in the order they are for instance, the first stage is to do 500000 points of damage, the next stage is to destroy 20 ships and etc. Now this may seem quite easy but trust me it is not like going on one of our exterminate missions and mowing hundreds of enemies down, if you want to see what I mean go to youtube and watch some gameplay. It takes a considerable amount of skill to destroy a ship and you not be destroyed in the process. Despite this it is a very demanding but fun game to play and as I said I offer this simply as a way for those of you who say the grind is bad, play another game and see how good you have it.  I offer this other piece of advice for those just starting Warframe and maybe even some vets, so if your waiting for the next big thing in Warframe to come, play other games until it does, this way it will lengthen your wanting to play Warframe more.

Fella on Warframe reddit said something similar, and I kinda have to agree. The problem with Warframe's grind isn't how long it takes to get something, it's the fact that you end up doing the same thing over and over, Void Capture after Void Capture.

It'd be a lot better if mission types were made priority number 1, but we are getting a new Sabotage so we'll see how that plays out. Maybe they could rework capture and Deception, both the weakest modes in the game, as a thing to do over 2016.

Warframe just isn't fun because there's actual objective. Grinding for something does not mean you will eventually get it which is why no one likes it. You could use a hundred void keys and end up with nothing that you want and there's not much you can do about it unless you resort to trading. Although trading does make the grind a bit more bearable. Your example had a guaranteed reward for doing a certain amount of work but warframe is just mindless grinding for the chance at something good no guarantees.

7 minutes ago, Luther848 said:

Warframe just isn't fun because there's actual objective. Grinding for something does not mean you will eventually get it which is why no one likes it. You could use a hundred void keys and end up with nothing that you want and there's not much you can do about it unless you resort to trading. Although trading does make the grind a bit more bearable. Your example had a guaranteed reward for doing a certain amount of work but warframe is just mindless grinding for the chance at something good no guarantees.

i think its fun and i enjoy the grind for simply the fact that its basically all there is to WF. you grind to earn weapons to keep on grinding. You shorten the grind, you shorten the need to even get weapons.

Without grind, there is NO WAY WF last more than 10-20 hours. A token system doesn't always work and can feel much worse than RNG. (would you rather have everything take 4 weeks to earn, or have a chance at getting lucky?) WF combines both perfectly. Only those who dont understand what kind of game they are playing think that "reducing the grind" means getting rid of it. 

11 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

i think its fun and i enjoy the grind for simply the fact that its basically all there is to WF. you grind to earn weapons to keep on grinding. You shorten the grind, you shorten the need to even get weapons.

Without grind, there is NO WAY WF last more than 10-20 hours. A token system doesn't always work and can feel much worse than RNG. (would you rather have everything take 4 weeks to earn, or have a chance at getting lucky?) WF combines both perfectly. Only those who dont understand what kind of game they are playing think that "reducing the grind" means getting rid of it. 

I don't have a problem with grind as a mechanic I just wish that there was less RNG in it. It doesn't have to be a token system I just like having the knowledge that all the work I'm putting in is accomplishing something instead of just playing a slot machine and hoping RNGesus is kind.

In my opinion, if you come to Warframe and complain about the grind you're just wasting your breath. Warframe at its core is a repetitive game where you do the same thing over and over in your own play style/fashion. Pointing out the obvious and complaining about the grind is stupid. 

And Warframe isn't even that bad when it comes to grinding. Have you ever played Vindictus.

3 minutes ago, BlackMonark said:

In my opinion, if you come to Warframe and complain about the grind you're just wasting your breath. Warframe at its core is a repetitive game where you do the same thing over and over in your own play style/fashion. Pointing out the obvious and complaining about the grind is stupid. 

In my opinion, if you imply grind can't be bad just because it's a 'core' aspect you're just wasting your breath. There is a point where it becomes a problem and lowers the quality of the game, and people have every right to point that out, no matter how many others come into the forums shouting "STOP COMPLAINING WOW" and "YOU JUST WANT EVERYTHING HANDED TO YOU".

As to your Vindictus comment, refer to my previous post.

I played Blade and Soul in Korea, Dungeon Fighter Online, Vindictus, Ragnorok Online, Everquest and II, FFXI and FFIV, Oni Giri and numerous other MMOs and Warframe is the least grindy out of all of them. The Power to Time Invested ratio is small in Warframe where you can get a lot of power in a minimal amount of time.

As an example, I was playing Dungeon Fighter in Nexon days for 2 years and never received a usable Epic weapon for my grappler. I was Master Rank 7 when I got my first Heavy Calibur after running 4 ODEs. :/

Brave Frontier, DragonballZ Dokkan Battle. Those are 2 games Ivm never going back to due to drop rates during time limited events. Rates go up the higher the difficulty you pick but even common enemies become HP sponges. The character developement for the game is even more shisty than leveling a rank 10 lengendary mod. Grind on top of grind on top of grind. Oh and I forgot to mention energy is needed to do all of this so when you run out timewall.  I think that's why I continue to play warframe more than any other f2p game.

Example of too much grind. When second dream came out I spent 1-4 hours a day for several weeks farming vengeful revenant. Not a single time did it every drop. Doing runs with Nekros and Ivara. This is just for one mod and it's the same mission every time, that is an annoying grind. 

Thats just one example but there are many others that I could provide. Also that stance that drops from regular Grineer Manics, never seen it drop and I rarely see Manics anymore too.

You could list off an endless bunch of games that have worse grind than Warframe and, in my personal opinion, that wouldn't affect either the feedback or the negative response to the current state of grind.

Recently, while talking with some Tenno in chat, I put it something like this.

There is no "good" grind. Never was, never will be. If it was "good" it'd just be gameplay. Grind is a wholly negative term. But people will still differentiate between good and bad grinds. So what does that mean? It means this:

"Good" grind isn't good. It is a term for grind that you don't mind. It is a little bombshell of opinion. All of us want a "Good" grind because we all know DE is going to make things a bit grindy and we'd all rather be okay with it than angry. "Good grind" barely touches you. It simply grazes you oh-so-close like an attractive, mysterious dancer on a dimly lit dance floor.

So "Bad" grind is literally anything else. Because that is how things pan out when you talk online. If you don't like it, you hate it. If it isn't good it is bad.

It is more important to talk about making Warframe's grind "good" than it is just talking about ways it is bad - or simply comparing what people see as bad to other instances of worse grind.

Edited by Blatantfool

4 minutes ago, Blatantfool said:

snip

To me, the distinction between good and bad grind is whether or not it's fruitless.

What's really depressing is to sink an hour or more into grind and feel like you came out of it literally no closer than how you started. However, if you got even one of the Prime Parts you were farming for, suddenly it seems worth it.

I feel like this is the basis for the often requested 'token system' for Warframe. Even if Prime parts required a tremendous number of these 'tokens' to purchase, at least you would feel like you've taken a few steps forward rather than just waste a lot of time.

Honestly the drop rates for some stuff is very low and grinding for hours on end only to not get it can be frustrating. Think of it this way. Would you rather get the item right away and make the game dull because you have every part or would you rather grind here and there for a bit and then get the item? I personally love farming for parts because it kind of gives you a goal to work on but instead of farming it like any other player I make it a little bit more fun to grind for. Mix it up some. Throw in some challenges for yourself. It should make farming for a part much better. As always enjoy the game and be sure to help new players out.

they need more interesting and varying missions instead of making more frames and weapons for now, yeh you can sit there and forma a bunch of different weapons and frames and get new weapons/frames just to get rank up but if your the kind of person that has their choice setup and dosnt play much else then it gets boring pretty quick. I myself mostly play solo because i prefer going at my own pace and i can do most missions without others and theres not alot to do besides farming void or any of the dailys which also get pretty boring after a while and im the kinda guy that will do the same thing over n over for ages so i can see others being less interested.

4 hours ago, Luther848 said:

I find the gameplay of Warframe weirdly addictive. I can spend hours upon hours doing the same endless mission and no get bored, because it's the type of action in which you don't really need to be present.

I'm on skype or on the phone with my friends 24/7 pretty much and I can do that while playing Warframe. Most of the time I play a youtube video on my tablet and watch it WHILE playing warframe. Listening to Dogman Encounters in the middle of the night (while playing warframe) is the comfiest thing ever. Browsing the forums while playing Warframe is just too good.

I find the game itself REALLY convenient to play. It's not like I spend 10h a day grinding in Warframe, I spend 10h doing things I would do anyway, with Warframe going in the background so to speak. One of these days I found myself spending hours talking with someone from trade after I wanted to buy something. I advise people to do other things while warframe goes in the background because you really don't have to be present to get things done.

IMO current rewarding system is flawed and doesn't reward the players that are neither "no-life/hardcore" who play 10 hours daily, or so called "casual" sunday players, but the thing is that t ppl who play from time to time maybe like every other day for 2 hours or more at weekend. I am one of those people and I'm sick of playing one mission for 50th time looking for THAT ONE part that I want. I hate endless missions and I'm forced to play them (if you want to make the argument "you don't have to play anything" then I want to respond to you right away- if you don't understand the topic or my respons, then don't engage in it). I remember doing like about literally +/- 50 40 minute T3 Survivals to get Loki Prime helmet (I finally got it from my friend who was doing it even more than I did). Baro was supposed to fix that problem by rewarding such people with unique things. So far we get some useless scrap wasting your space in the inventory except few mods. We nees a system that should increase your chances of getting the rare items, either by measuring your time spent in those missions unsuccesfully by lowering the chance of items that you already got (which would probably reward the "hardcores" more than everyone else) or increase of chances to get something good.

Few PS: I remember the times when you could get a prime in an hour except probably one part which ypu cpuld have traded by like some corrupted mods, nowadays you can't (I can't) even sell a Spoiled Strike for 4 plat.

2nd PS: DE was increasing the grind all the time I have no idea what happened, if they got greedy or what but as I mentioned in previous PS primes were pretty easy to get and the game was still working and now we have years worth of grind walls (if some of you watched soke of the devstreams you might remember some mentions of promises to resuce the grind, meanwhile we seem to be headed the other way).

I think I'm done.

4 hours ago, S.T.M.P.D said:

Fella on Warframe reddit said something similar, and I kinda have to agree. The problem with Warframe's grind isn't how long it takes to get something, it's the fact that you end up doing the same thing over and over, Void Capture after Void Capture.

And this is what I'd be doing with my T3 Captures

ZF5kfQE.jpg

If the grind was more fun than it wouldn't be as bad but doing missions over and over because that's the only place that drops what you're looking for, or that's the place that spawns a certain enemy in few numbers that also has different varieties of that limited number of enemy's that spawn as well. It's RNG on top of RnG, im looking at you sentients.

the problem is: Warframe has almost no content outside of grinding - the grind is literally the game, boss fight reworks dont do anything because we fight them twice and we're done

missions are only played for the rewards but not the gameplay

1 minute ago, (PS4) BigCox23 said:

Yes very lucky compared to me.

one day and 7 h baking time :D also got the spira prime on the way all ready build :D, but in general Warframe is a Grindy game in total i remember hunting this G3 for 7 mounts before raid was in game