Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I Watched First Season Of SAO

Ibro156

My friend suggested SAO (Sword Art Online) to me because I was watching Grimgar Fantasy and Ashes (same director). So I though it might be decent anime. So I watched it, and the end of it I wanted to shoot myself. Most the characters are either great, strong characters that became useless when Kirikto (whatever his name is) was near by. Especially, Asuna. I liked her character at the start show, but it want total opposite when she met Kirikto. The romance in this anime felt forced and rush, as well feeling like it was taking piss with me with half of the cast. They had broken so many of their own game's rules to make Kirikto to look badass or just insanly overpowered. When Kirikto and Asuna found child in woods. They had immediately assign themselves has the kid's parents. Even saying "Your staying with Mommy and daddy". Then they got married just in spam of a few weeks. Then at the end they say "I love you", AFTER they had gotten married. I know Grimgar is directed by same guy who did SAO, but I have to say this is complete garbage. The character development felt forced. They had time skipped so much i was lost at was happing anymore. They had broken all their own game's rules just to look good. So many character introduced just to be forgotten and neglected. This show felt like waste of time. I rarely say that but IMO, It is just utter garbage. I think I won't watch season 2 and 3.

Surprisingly, Grimgar Fantasy and Ashes is complete opposite of SAO. It doesn't focus on the fact they have no memriories of the real world. Instead thinking that the game is real world and trying to survive. The characters are not overpowered, In fact they seem incredibly weak compared to SAO. The development is actually great and made me care about them. Everytime they get into a fight I hope they would survive, as knowing they can easily die. Their is a bit of romance in the show but they're just taking absolute piss with me. At the moment I can't say much of Grimgar but it great so far.

Maybe Director was being a lazy bum for SAO =_= I pretty much any anime that has a decent characters, fight scene and music to it.

Well... I heard it's still kinda good anime. But i'm still not gonna watch it, because it's still kinda generic and meta, and this is what anoys me modern anime the most. Generism and clicheism.

There is no point in watching something when you literally can predict every word or move character is going to make.

Thank goodnes there is something like Melancholy of Haruhi Sudzumia. That anime had me by the throat quiet a few times.

SAO is good as an idea not as an Anime. They're making an actual MMO now using VR headgear of the same thing.

.hack// has a better story of the same idea and its so damn old and more Gothic if you wanna watch it, there is a 3D movie summarizing the last chapter's story from the three PS2 games (.Hack// GU Trilogy). Wish they make an MMO of that instead of SAO xD

I liked Fantasy and Ashes but its pissing me off how the episodes are getting shorter every new episode and not just that, the final 10 mins are wasted to just play Music instead of going further in the story xD COME ON!!!

Edited by (PS4)ArnnFrost

14 minutes ago, (PS4)ArnnFrost said:

SAO is good as an idea not as an Anime. They're making an actual MMO now using VR headgear of the same thing.

.hack// has a better story of the same idea and its so damn old and more Gothic if you wanna watch it, there is a 3D movie summarizing the last chapter's story from the three PS2 games (.Hack// GU Trilogy). Wish they make an MMO of that instead of SAO xD

I liked Fantasy and Ashes but its pissing me off how the episodes are getting shorter every new episode and not just that, the final 10 mins are wasted to just play Music instead of going further in the story xD COME ON!!!

Grimgar had a slow start which I liked. It gave some room for early character development. The 10mins ending are just showing their overall progress. If you pay attention, you can notice some small details on how they act to each other. But I loved the recent episode <3

Edit: I'll check out the show later today.

Edited by Ibro156

7 minutes ago, Ibro156 said:

isrimgar had a slow start which I liked. It gave some Rome for character development. The 10mins ending are just sitowing their progress. If you pay attention, you can notice some small details on how they act to each other. But I loved the recent episode <3

Edit: I'll check out the show later today.

Its not a show Its a game Series but the Anime Is just an opening To the main story (speaking of the GU chapter) the older ones (Previous chapters) are full animes on their own but they are so damn old that you might not stand watching them xD the coolest Is GU, the last one Chapter with blood and tragic story

2 hours ago, (PS4)ArnnFrost said:

Its not a show Its a game Series but the Anime Is just an opening To the main story (speaking of the GU chapter) the older ones (Previous chapters) are full animes on their own but they are so damn old that you might not stand watching them xD the coolest Is GU, the last one Chapter with blood and tragic story

You know, i absolutely hate when people are talking about "VRMMO" type anime and refer to SAO, when .hack// did it first, and better...

I love how people just ignore the fact that manga exists.

SAO was a HORRIBLE anime adaptation of a kickarse manga (where the love story was still rushed, but we get more character development - Klein's bi by the way).

SAOII may be better for you, since it's just all-around better.

SAOIII, when that comes out, will be by far the best, because Alicization was the good part of the story.

Edited by Yzjdriel
spelling

5 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

Welcome to the "I hate SAO" club!

We have cupcakes!

I never received such things

GIMME DEM CUPCAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

anyway, I watch it too, the first season, it I still hate myself for wasting 3-4 hours of my life on such garbage >.> 

that day, I learnt a lesson: never watch what the people consider 'popular and good anime' 

Edited by Kenshin98

19 minutes ago, Yzjdriel said:

I love how people just ignore the fact that manga exists.

SAO was a HORRIBLE anime adaptation of a kickarse manga (where the love story was still rushed, but we get more character development - Klein's bi by the way).

"The books don't matter"

Edited by TheErebus.

1 minute ago, Yzjdriel said:

They actually don't, though.  For those of us who've read them, however, the anime is a little more tolerable because we know what's coming in SAOIII.

Inb4 it's gonna be S#&amp;&#036; anyway.

Just now, PsychedelicSnake said:

To this day, Sword Art Online still has the absolute worst quote from anything ever. I'd share it here, but it's pretty NSFW and just all around awful.

Wait is it the one with the two years worth of something flowing into something

So....should I tell you that there's a third season?

Personally, I liked the concept behind the series but I agree that the development felt forced and the romance escalated in an odd way.  But that's also what I've seen from online relationships in the younger generation.  (Not knocking the concept of LDR, just that most fail horribly due to going too fast "I love you" "Let's get married!" "We've adopted a newb and they call us mommy/daddy!" type thing. )

11 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

So....should I tell you that there's a third season?

Personally, I liked the concept behind the series but I agree that the development felt forced and the romance escalated in an odd way.  But that's also what I've seen from online relationships in the younger generation.  (Not knocking the concept of LDR, just that most fail horribly due to going too fast "I love you" "Let's get married!" "We've adopted a newb and they call us mommy/daddy!" type thing. )

If so, I am scared for mankind -_- 

Well, my main problem with SAO was exactly Kirito's GOD complex. Then I watched Log Horizon and thats was a truly RPG themed anime. All the clan drama, player killing, political problems, alliances in war, problems with "NPC". To me, Log Horizon is better, only because Sword Art Online became a "Kirito is God Online"

I personally loved SAO up until it stopped being SAO. Everything after that in the first season was rushed and should not have happened. The romance was developed at a decent pace in a nice way, the character development was a bit lacking on some of the non-main characters, but those scenes helped to deepen the main character's development on the side so it wasn't bad. Everything in Alfheim was compacted and rushed according to the people who I know who read the manga. They even go so far as to say that despite the relatively bad plot in that section- if it hadn't been compacted into a small amount of episodes, and rather made it's own season, that it could have been good. Not Aincrad arc good by any means, but at least not bad where it ruined it. Even if the good had been seperated from the bad into two different seasons- it would have hurt the anime a lot less.

As for the second season- the first part feels entirely pointless and rushed like Alfheim was, but the GGO arc was well done. It might not have been great and nothing is gonna really reach the Aincrad arc standards, but it did redeem what happened in Alfheim a bit.

I hated the second half of season one but enjoyed the first half. I rewatched it recently and realized i only liked the idea of the setting though. Now i dislike the whole thing(hate is a strong word). I did enjoy the romance stuff, not so much the harem aspects though. The reason i dislike most of the anime is the bad writing of antagonistic characters. I mean they make it obvious and easy to hate them but i still really hate how it was implemented. Character and story development felt poor in general, while the setting came on strong and enjoyable at the beginning.

Kirito loosing to the antagonist is okay to establish that he is bad and plays unfair, the antagonist holding asuna hostage at the end and nearly raping her is not. Asuna was always established as a strong character and the second half taking away all her power and just showing how powerless she is really pissed me off. Not in the good way (that something needs to happen so she gets out of there) but in the bad way, that i just got angry with the lazy writing so we get a "damsel in distress" situation. I am not angry that Asuna as a character is rendered completely useless, i just really dislike the way its done and the way it is handled.

On top of that Kirito is always saved by deus ex machina stuff that pops up out of no-where every time he is not OP enough. In all other aspects its always like "look how OP and cool i am" and characters only die to establish that they can die and Kirito can get sad as to try to explain that he is not just a blank self-insert-harem-hero every light novel tries to establish. Even the arcs all try to establish how cool and powerful kirito is and you can't even enjoy that very much because there is always the imprisoned nearly raped asuna in the background of everything happening.

Like i said, i liked the idea but i disliked the execution. More often than not i feel like i could have produced a better way of making me hate an antagonist without disregarding or killing of other characters and more often than not i feel like people in the anime just act like they do, to establish kirito as the protagonist. There are a few smart ideas here and there, like the HP regen and the Safe-zone murderes but it wasn't a puzzle for the viewers, since not all pieces were given to solve it. Add lazy storytelling like marrying of your daughter to scumbags that (oh surprise, is also the antagonist who tries to brainwash everyone) because they have money and we got bad writing that makes the viewer uncomfortable.

Worth noting here is, that i only wanted to complete the anime so i could get out of the uncomfortable mindset, not because i wanted to see the end.

Edited by Megakruemel

36 minutes ago, Ibro156 said:

That's debatable 

Imo- not at all. Part 2 of season 1 was an atrocity that was compacted into a few episodes, rushed out, poorly animated, already included various things that people didn't like even in the manga to begin with compounding on top of all that, and was thrown into the same "section" as the BEST PART of the anime- basically completely killing it after what could have been a perfect ending for the first season. Even if it hadn't totally killed the vibe the first "half" (actually there were a LOT more episodes in the aincrad arc, that's why I don't get why they tried to shove an entire arc into the few episodes remaining for a standard season) GGO's quality is leagues better in terms of animation, character development, and general plot. Yes there was still some rather dumb stuff that happened- but not nearly as much as in Alfheim and GGO had more episodes and more chances to have more bad stuff than Alfheim.

See, the first part of the first season was ok. It wasn't great but you could watch it and enjoy in the moment at the least, and the ending would have been nice.

But then 2nd part of the season happened, and then 2nd season happened. 

*facepalm*