Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I clearly do not understand Warframe. Please help.

DEATHLOK

Question

I just started playing again after a couple years off.

I've been enjoying the Rathuum event as much as I can, but I am getting thrashed.

I usually only make a couple kills during the third level. I'm getting one-shotted by Death Cubes, melee strikes, sniper shots, and lord knows what else. Some times, I find myself dropping down to a single health point—and staying there—with no idea what's going on.

I've got a Phage that's been reset a couple times, a Gammacor the same way, and a Jat Kittag. I've seen some builds for those weapons that people say are amazing, but I'm missing the required mods. The only weapon I have that does much of anything during Rathuum's third arena is the Jet Kittag. And that's only when I get lucky and knock enemies off their feet, first.

I'm hoping that if I post a screenshot of how my warframe is set up, someone can help me rethink how I approach the game. I want to be more like one of the guys I see getting well over a dozen kills each round. Thanks.

20160507071709_1_zpsi0n8tu9s.jpg

25 answers to this question

Well, getting Corrupted mods from Derelict Vaults would be a start. 175% efficiency is pretty much mandatory on nearly all Warframes if you want any use out of them.

Also, using Steel Fiber is a waste on any Warframe below 200 armor.

Edited by Cyborg-Rox

You can use squishy frames like Loki and Ivara, if you play your cards right.
But they are better for going the distance rather than fast farming.

P.S You are a Master Founder, just like me, Excalibur will work better than Nova in taking some damage.

Edited by fatpig84

When you see Mirage casually walking across the map and one-shotting anything he sees, or the guy who teleports to every enemy near death and gets the kill for himself, you start to wonder what you're doing wrong.

What I've gathered thus far is that you have to get the right combinations of very rare mods and create specific builds for events of this order. Reminds me much of Diablo 2, where everyone was following the same formulas for success. After a while, I was left wondering why I played the game, if I had to follow these specific, narrow paths.

But I'm not complaining—I love Warframe. Always have, and it's much better than it was originally.

Edited by DEATHLOK

If i were you, i would make a slow nova build.

Vitality+flow+streamline+intensify+trans.ford+Countuity+narrow minder+redirection.

Novas 4th range goes longer with  duration.

In rath: Keep moving, jump on top of everything, attack while the enemy is trying to look at you.

Edited by blazekan5

Well, first of all, all 4 mods on the right are complete garbage and waste of space. At best you can have 1 of them. Arguably, flow is also a waste. Corrupted mods should be there, and if you don't have them - well, I suggest you try and get some. They are fundamental for any kind of effective build.

Second, Nova isn't great in arena, specifically becouse of how easy it is to get 1-shoted. I had great success with Loki, and my partner and direct rival for kills was Rhino. They can't kill you if they can't hit :P

And random damage down to 1 HP is a mistery to me. I suspect it's just arena mechanics, and not something that can be avoided.

Edited by Serafim_94

This tail end of this event is not friendly for squishier frames like Nova. Unfortunately, support frames and glass cannon frames are little more than cannon fodder IMO. You're better of with a tanky high-armor frame like Rhino, Valkyr, Chroma, etc when trying to run Endless Rathuum. Many people are using Ash and camping energy spawns for Bladestorm, but I'd rather run around than hog energy and be a sitting duck.

As for Weapons, Jat is a good start just load it up with Damage/Elemental/Crit mods. You want fast firing and hard hitting, preferably high crit weapons. Most of the runs I've been in have players running with Tonkor, Sancti Tigris, even some skilled players with bows like Dread.

You don't want to get into a back-and-forth firefight. Try to kill enemies in 1-2 shots and keep moving.

Good luck and happy gaming Tenno...

Well the third part of rathuum is quite unforgiving and even a 4000+ health Inaros can get 1 hit killed so don't be too hard on your self.

Nova isn't a great choice for the mission (ash / mirage / Inaros work well) but If you are taking nova for her number 4 then you might not be aware that they changed how it works, range is less important now but duration is responsible for how far the wave travels, so switch stretch for streamline so you can use it sooner. Also I personally with what you have would get rid of steel fibre (nova does not have enough base armour to make it worthwhile) and also redirection, I would swap in rage and quickthinking, rage will give you energy when you take health damage and as you no longer have large shields should happen sooner to give you some energy to use your #4 quicker and the quickthinking will try to drain your energy to stop you dying should it be needed. Fast deflection is also not going to help with this build so maybe something like fortitude or a drift mode if you have space.

Again nova isn't really ideal for the mission but could be made to work with some powerful weapons to back you up, maybe a tonkor or sancti tigris to quickly cheese the enemies to death :)

nova is very squishy frame......so dont go hard on def mods will not help u on high lvl.... just use QT that is all....primed flow...streamline 4..fleeting.4...p.continuity.narrow minded.consitution.intesity.exilus. power drift.. and u will have  75% slow down...constitution.natural talent

The rathuum event has a special modifier applied to the match that changes every match depending on the level. At lvl 3 the modifier is always either "scaling enemies", meaning that the enemies start at 60 and can, at the end, reach lvl 100+ making killing them really hard without huge dmg output - the other modifier is "health drain" and you'll lose 100hp periodically until you reach 1 hp. Killing an enemy (rollers and cubes count) restores your hp to max.

The deth cubes are the worst, hard to spot sometimes and the drain you quickly to death, dealing constant dmg. Shock traps drain power and thus make you vulnerable. 

My advice is to get something that can stunlock the enemy (blast dmg with good status chance? In a shotgun maybe?) And gun them down one by one. Try to avoid engaging multiple targets at once, and try to remove the cubes before you move in for the kill.

21 minutes ago, Serafim_94 said:

Well, first of all, all 4 mods on the right are complete garbage and waste of space. At best you can have 1 of them. Arguably, flow is also a waste. Corrupted mods should be there, and if you don't have them - well, I suggest you try and get some. They are fundamental for any kind of effective build.

Second, Nova isn't great in arena, specifically becouse of how easy it is to get 1-shoted. I had great success with Loki, and my partner and direct rival for kills was Rhino. They can't kill you if they can't hit :P

And random damage down to 1 HP is a mistery to me. I suspect it's just arena mechanics, and not something that can be avoided.

With the low energy in the Arena Nova is gonna be fodder unless you know there will be a trin or Limbo, she is just too squish.

Option 1: Limbo can make you invuln with increased energy regen to use abilities if you go max efficiency, you will need corrupted mods for that build (e.g. fleeting expertise stacked on top of streamline).

Option 2: Trin can do EV to give you more energy than Limbo, if you combine that with quick thinking and flow you get a higher effective health with with your max steel fiber, redirection and vitality combined (assuming your Trin can keep you topped off with energy). Keep your null stars up to stagger enemies that get too close so you can give yourself an teeny bit of time to move away when enemies get too close.

Even with either strategy don't think your Nova will be able to wade into the fray. Cast your MP and stay on the periphery of the fight.

I think your loosing health maybe the health drain random debuff that happens in arena, theres a list of the possible debuffs in the announcement thread for the even and at the beginning of match the debuffs for that match are flashed on screen.

I really appreciate all the advice, though I don't follow everything that's said—just haven't been playing enough. I finally realized that it was a map modifier draining health, but thanks a lot for verifying it.

Can't even imagine having 4000 health on a warframe. Didn't know numbers that high were even possible. I also thought that Vitality and Redirection were essential on all warframes; never thought there was an option. I have a lot to learn.

Will search for corrupted mods in derelict vaults. Until I have some, this is what I have, if anyone else cares to make a recommendation.

20160507081920_1_zpsuz2bmkmo.jpg

38 minutes ago, DEATHLOK said:

I also thought that Vitality and Redirection were essential on all warframes; never thought there was an option.

When enemy shoot 2000+ damage in one second - theres no different between 300 hp and 1000.

Edited by -NEO-Roguelike

Just now, fatpig84 said:

You can use squishy frames like Loki and Ivara, if you play your cards right.
But they are better for going the distance rather than fast farming.

Both are good but not usually with pugs, better solo or with a pre-made squad that understands visible squadmate shouldn't stand beside you to get you killedin crossfire.

2 hours ago, Keiiken said:

Both are good but not usually with pugs, better solo or with a pre-made squad that understands visible squadmate shouldn't stand beside you to get you killedin crossfire.

As a fellow Loki player, a better question is why are you not moving away from the obvious visible target lol.

Just so your view doesn't get too skewed by the event-

There aren't any "required" mods or builds to use if you're fighting stuff to roughly Level 50ish, which is all you need to get through to get most of the content in the game. There may be exceptions depending on frame and your playstyle of course.

You're getting wrecked in the event because this game doesn't favor "fair and balanced" gameplay, especially not during events like this. If you're aren't cheesing it (or mooching off an Ash) then you aren't going to get far.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:54 AM, Wopel said:

As a fellow Loki player, a better question is why are you not moving away from the obvious visible target lol.

Yes you can move away from them but I have had players chase me trying to group up.
Also they don't have to stand beside you for even a second in a heated battle for a stray shot to come your way.

Edited by Keiiken

On 5/7/2016 at 3:05 PM, -NEO-Roguelike said:

When enemy shoot 2000+ damage in one second - theres no different between 300 hp and 1000.

Keep in mind, that this part of the event is not your vanilla starchart mission! If you don't sport a ridiculous amount of base armour, health and/or shields you WILL die, if the enemies get a good shot at you. And pretty much everyone dies if he gets caught in a swarm of death cubes. Your build might be very reasonable in regular missions (besides the steel fibre), but in this stage of Rathuum, you either use a very, VERY tanky Frame or you forget about health and shields at all!

On 7/5/2016 at 3:05 PM, -NEO-Roguelike said:

Thats the mainly reason caus i dont understand people that waste precious mod slots using mods like Redirection, like if could save you cover your frame with toilet paper.

Quick Thinking and Flow\Pr Flow is all you need. Talking about longruns or really hard missions not even Quick Thinking would be effective and better you start trusting the crowd control.

50 minutes ago, (PS4)KrakenUnchained said:

Quick Thinking and Flow\Pr Flow is all you need. Talking about longruns or really hard missions not even Quick Thinking would be effective and better you start trusting the crowd control.

I see your point, but I get increasingly disappointed by Quick Thinking, since the stagger can very much get you killed. Had a couple of times the situation, that I was a bit careless, got hit to the point QT kicked in, but while I was staggering, additional hits ate through my energy (and sometimes even let me stagger again!), so I ended up hugging the floor just as if I would have without QT. Oh, wait... in addition I was out of energy, of course :/

12 minutes ago, DjaAkh said:

I see your point, but I get increasingly disappointed by Quick Thinking, since the stagger can very much get you killed. Had a couple of times the situation, that I was a bit careless, got hit to the point QT kicked in, but while I was staggering, additional hits ate through my energy (and sometimes even let me stagger again!), so I ended up hugging the floor just as if I would have without QT. Oh, wait... in addition I was out of energy, of course :/

Quick Thinking stun-lock you when the damage is higher compared to your energy pool, when it happens trust me, Redirection already stopped working from a while

14 hours ago, (PS4)KrakenUnchained said:

Quick Thinking stun-lock you when the damage is higher compared to your energy pool, when it happens trust me, Redirection already stopped working from a while

It sure does, you are right! My point is only: If I go down without QT at least I still keep my energy! :) But yeah, that's only interesting, when you do something with enemies, that would definitely stun lock you. Everything significantly below lvl 100 probably won't do that.

1 hour ago, DEATHLOK said:

When you see Mirage casually walking across the map and one-shotting anything he sees, or the guy who teleports to every enemy near death and gets the kill for himself, you start to wonder what you're doing wrong.

What I've gathered thus far is that you have to get the right combinations of very rare mods and create specific builds for events of this order. Reminds me much of Diablo 2, where everyone was following the same formulas for success. After a while, I was left wondering why I played the game, if I had to follow these specific, narrow paths.

Either that or grab the Shadow Step ability, which let's you use whatever crazy build you want since enemies can't see you lol. Banshee with Furax gets me through most missions.