Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you feel when DE ignores something that needs attention to work on something more popular?

OverlordMcGeek

I ask in general, yes.

As an example that urkes me the most: how in a previous stream they mentioned how single swords have been ignored for too long so they will focus on working with them while the machetes are still...well machetes and are shunned by the rest of the family.

Edited by OverlordMcGeek

6 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

Machetes....popular....?

Single swords....been ignored...?

Wut.

Ohdamn my bad. I'm half asleep.

No, wait. Re-read it and yes, they said single swords had been ignored for soooo long so they were going  to focus on them. I neveer said machetes were popular. Or my wording made it sound like that.

Edited by OverlordMcGeek

5 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

I ask in general, yes.

As an example that urkes me the most: how in a previous stream they mentioned how single swords have been ignored for too long so they will focus on that while the machetes are still...well machetes.

Machetes are worthless and I don't think any amount of work will make them good, just scrap them and add more interesting Melee weapons.

But as to them working on something more popular, I just call it good business sense - make the end user happy

At this point it seems like most of us can't be bothered with it anymore. I once made a thread regarding DE's decision to introduce a new Heavy Blade stance (before being named Tempo Royale) and how they have yet to give machete a second stance. Rebecca replied in the thread saying she will keep note of machetes. A year later and still no change or whatsoever :(

And there's also those asking for Oberon's Renewal to be improved and somehow we got......faster projectile and cast animation which didn't really fix anything.

4 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

No, wait. Re-read it and yes, they said single swords had been ignored for soooo long so they wer going  to focus on them. I neveer said machetes were popular. Or my wording made it sound like that.

Or i just derped...

Anyway, wtf? Vengeful Revenant a new stance for swords just came out with U18 along with the new best sword Broken War. 

Then again, working on something more popular? Sure, swords are played while machetes are not. But i'm sure we, the community asked for machete buffs more than single swords. You sure they said they gonna focuns on single swords? That'd be disappointing.

Their decisions are the ultimate RNG of this game. Something can be OP in a single buff but something else barely changed within full reworks. They promise something but then cancel it and then doing something they previously rejected. I learned that whatever DE said or promised, expect nothing and pray to the RNG.

Hey, I dislike when my favorite stuff gets passed over for others but things can easily be re-prioritized. I think of John Prodman being the eventual herald of Machete love as his he is known for only using a weapon of that family.

I don't really think its a matter of popularity versus not so much rather than whatever their creativity is sparked by.  It just so happens those sparks parallel the views of some of the more popular aspects.  

Oberon's Feyarch skin is a great example, it isn't like he is even in the top 10 of frames right now but they decided to make that instead of a skin for, I dunno, Nova or something.  Nova is far more popular than Oberon, no?  They had a great idea for a skin for Oberon and went with it instead, choosing to breathe fresh life into a dusty frame instead of making more popular frame even better.

As far as machete versus swords go, ehhhh, I don't have a lot to say here.  War wouldn't have made much sense as a machete weapon type so swords got it instead lol.

Machetes are a bit weird, but I imagine once they come up with a brilliant concept for a machete weapon that is actually worthy of a new stance they'll go for it.  

You know what bothers me most about Machete weapon types?  Their forerunner weapon is called... machete.  I guess I'm just happy we don't have an axe called Axe and Axe Wraith or a Pistol called.. yeah you guessed, it Pistol Vandal.  Beyond that, I'm patient, it'll happen someday.

Edited by Xekrin

42 minutes ago, dodorichard said:

Machetes are worthless and I don't think any amount of work will make them good, just scrap them and add more interesting Melee weapons.

But as to them working on something more popular, I just call it good business sense - make the end user happy

I beg to differ, the Kama is a good early game weapon, as it does not loose any momentum on attacks, an I have watched as I stun lock an enemy with my attacks.

the same go's for the Machete too, but I have to see it in action to confirm it. 

an seeing as the stance mod Sundering Weave drop fairly often, (I have like 20 or more) it's a good way to get 10 extra mod point for a weapon in the early game.

also since the Machete BP is now off the market and now is reward for Tactical Alerts, there extra barging right for having one.   

they said today they don't wanna do a bug squash month kind of thing where they spend time evening things out, but... they really should.

What's worst is they seem to know all these problems. They've mentioned hating that carrier is used more then other sentinals by a 2/3 ratio. I'm sure similar must be the case for frames, guns and powers.

It would really help if they looked at stuff like what people just never used and spent a month asking why and fixing that. No need to upgrade everything, some gear should suck, No ones crying over the MK. 1 Paris and how it should be up with the other bows, and as long as the ether reaper doesn't need a high MR and works decent on infested like its fluff says, it can be temporary. Just give every weapon family some redeeming features, there should be at least ONE good scythe/machete/dagger/etc in the world.

Best thing is, it'd help other balance too. If a Zephyr with a scythe and Djinn turning up on a level 100 infested intercept is less of a joke not that many people will cry that other people just tonkor it all away.

15 minutes ago, SquirmyBurrito said:

This kind of stuff is ultimately what lead to me dropping the game. I get that addressing popular things makes sense from a financial standpoint, but the longer less popular things are left to rot the worse things get.

if you dropped the game then why are you here on the forum? ive never understood people that do that.

2 minutes ago, treltheblue said:

they said today they don't wanna do a bug squash month kind of thing where they spend time evening things out, but... they really should.

What's worst is they seem to know all these problems. They've mentioned hating that carrier is used more then other sentinals by a 2/3 ratio. I'm sure similar must be the case for frames, guns and powers.

It would really help if they looked at stuff like what people just never used and spent a month asking why and fixing that. No need to upgrade everything, some gear should suck, No ones crying over the MK. 1 Paris and how it should be up with the other bows, and as long as the ether reaper doesn't need a high MR and works decent on infested like its fluff says, it can be temporary. Just give every weapon family some redeeming features, there should be at least ONE good scythe/machete/dagger/etc in the world.

Best thing is, it'd help other balance too. If a Zephyr with a scythe and Djinn turning up on a level 100 infested intercept is less of a joke not that many people will cry that other people just tonkor it all away.

the way i interpreted it is that the dont want to do large updates that consist of entirely fixes for a bunch of small issues, not that they dont want to sit down and work things out. however, working o things takes time, and obviously they arent going to inform us on everything they do (for instance, they mentioned that they ARE working on the umbras, but what they're doing with them is a secret, hopefully this shuts up those people screaming for umbra every week, dang they're annoying).

Yep, there definitely some RNG in DE decisions.

Shotguns rework-boom, it's endgame. Sniper rework-boom....something changed?

Or how they wanna make another stance for gunblades (which is nice tho) while we have gonna have only 2 of them, instead of buffind machetes and giving another stance to them, coz you know, we have 6(!!!!!!!) of them.

2 for 2 and 1 for 6...pfft, seems legit.

Fairly certain, like most game dev studios, that DE has multiple teams working on multiple things

which means pretty much nothing actually gets pushed aside in favor of another project- they just have multiple teams working on separate ideas.

And developing ideas, and most of all, testing them to an appropriate level, and trying to break them and find their limits (and if there are no limits, setting them) takes a lot of time.

1 hour ago, IceColdHawk said:

Or i just derped...

Anyway, wtf? Vengeful Revenant a new stance for swords just came out with U18 along with the new best sword Broken War. 

Then again, working on something more popular? Sure, swords are played while machetes are not. But i'm sure we, the community asked for machete buffs more than single swords. You sure they said they gonna focuns on single swords? That'd be disappointing.

That's the point. No one uses any sword but broken war, dakra prime, and prisma skana. There's way too many single swords and no variety between them other than straight up upgrade<->downgrade. That's what they want to improve.

They touched on this a bit in the just passed stream (and earlier with the bourbon list stuff). Worth a watch for that tidbit somewhere between 45 mins and 55 mins. Steve's analogy that it's kind of like fighting fires (as in trying to put out the brightest fire) applies not only to bugs but areas in need of reworks.

A good follow up question would be how do they decide what the hottest fires are?

9 minutes ago, treltheblue said:

I'll have to take you word on this, but yeah, there are weird weapon, frame, sentinel combinations that if paired with the right set of mods could be devastating, it's just a matter of how they are modded, the play style of the player.

sure I have a Galatine with 900 slash, but it cost me almost an arm to get it there, I can hack any thing in one swing, but there are other weapons out there to try, so why limit myself. 

also, leveling other weapons is a good way to earn points towards mastery ranks.     

Rebecca basically gave the biggest reason: the game lives and dies through content. If no new content is made, that means no potential revenue. Having a big update of pure fixes, changes, reworks and quests don't have a price tag on them, so they are spread out amongst the things that do. So, really, it may not be ignored; DE's just waiting to ship a change with a new content piece.

2 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

A good follow up question would be how do they decide what the hottest fires are?

That's my point before. They know the metrics on this stuff. They know no one uses x and can just look and see it has nothing to offer compared to other stuff. Not just weapon use, but specific weapon kills which might be way more or way less then its use suggests, hell, even really fine stuff like every stance, or every specific combo in a stance.

and they do nothing with it.

17 minutes ago, treltheblue said:

The point stands, a time of just... not putting out content, but with the goal of making all existing content fun-er and probably gearing it up for further stuff like damage 3.0 would be massivly helpful to DE and the players.

I agree if they took time out to focus on that it would be great.

But I'm not sure that's ever going to happen. Steve tends to mention DE/Warframe's new content focus as often as he's able. It's part of the lifeblood of the game, and how they've chosen to develop WF.

He mentioned it during this past stream, and in a couple of the last events and cons. Like here: (Steve's answer at 2:40 - 3:40 epitomizes their work ethic, or rather, the focus of their development: aggressive reinvention.)

EDIT: Oh, to answer OverlordMcGeek's question, I'm not sure I feel some type of way about it at all. I'm really, really casual as far as WF goes. I tend to take things as they come. This may also be due to the fact that there's a lot of stuff I haven't done yet.

The last major weapon rework that I wanted I got (shotguns) and right about the time I needed it most. 

I do keep wondering when we'll actually get a decent rework of stealth mechanics, kubrow and specter AI though. That's all I can think of off the top of my head (as far as 'I wish y'all would work on XYZ' goes).

Edited by Rhekemi

For new players, the entry point to WF is pretty decent considering its FTP. I get the frustrations of the vets on the thread, but ultimately this is a  business that has to generate revenue streams other than those tied to subscription. If it was a subscription based service, damn right we would and should flood the devs inbox with complaints about existing content. But as it's not, and we get to play a $60 - 70 dollar game for free, which brings out new stuff at least once per month, I'm extremely satisfied with DE. Not saying this answers any frustrations but I'm hoping it puts things into context.