The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

2 hours ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

it certainly is not and judging by your nick you probably haven't even played him yet...

Ive played enough to kno that this is in no way a proper rework. He wasnt viable endgame, and he still isnt. It just sucks that its so hard apparently to not screw up a frames rework. Just increase his ult damage and revert everything to the way it was. Overload was the only issue...its just ignorant

this is just some testing of my volt build. keep in mind that i was playing a proxy alert with 2 valkyrs and frost with 2 tonkors and a dread. enemies were at lvl 10-15. To be fair, i even had an end game staticor build with me too.

Edited by Aquasurge

4 minutes ago, Aquasurge said:

this is just some testing of my volt build. keep in mind that i was playing with 2 valkyrs and frost with 2 tonkors playing an alert at lvl 10-15.

Sir, no ill will, but damage-wise, that was quite underwhelming, wouldn't you agree?

Were you playing for CC/Shielding pod on the Alert?

7 minutes ago, Toramaru said:

Sir, no ill will, but damage-wise, that was quite underwhelming, wouldn't you agree?

Were you playing for CC/Shielding pod on the Alert?

a kind of average build actually, frost was spamming snow globes and the valks were killing faster than i could run. i'll post more gameplay soon and adjust my build so that De has a better idea of what we are faced with.

Edited by Aquasurge

Generally like the rework. Not sure about his ult as I never focused on it much, but as for shield..

It seems excessive that shield has a timer and an energy drain at the same time. That may be okay if it was a powerful use, but it's not. Picking up the shield slows Volt, costs energy per second, AND you need to recast.

If Volt Shield just paused the countdown while you were carrying it and feeding it energy, I'd be perfectly happy.

1 hour ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

He wasnt viable endgame, and he still isnt. 

On the contrary. He was endgame viable, and he still is. 

He had cheap, spammable, hard crowd control for his 1, a shield with infinite durability that doubles crit damage for his 3, and one of the best mobility skills in the game.

He still has all three of those things, and now he has an ultimate that can lock down a large area, do decent damage, and constantly regenerate overshields for an entire team with the augment. 

Volt is most certainly endgame viable. Yes, the shield cap was uncalled for, but that wasn't bad enough of a nerf to make him unviable. It's annoying, but it's still a completely indestructible barrier that doubles crit damage. 

Speaking as a Volt main: love, love, love the rework. I actually do damage as Volt now (even if he is a bit of an energy hog) - used to be I'd get maybe a maximum of 500 Focus during a Convergence proc, now I consistently get over a thousand minimum. No longer regretting putting a lens on him. Charging Shock with his passive or using it as something of a magic wand for his powers is neat too. Lots of playstyle options when I'm in a mission, whether I want to be mobile or defensive or a combination therein. Excellent.

Couple little... let's say "quality of life" issues though.

Speed no longer has an FoV change, so... why have an opt-in system now? The only reason someone would've opted out of the buff before was because they were getting motion sick, which was already addressed. Now when one of my allies is on Volt, I have to sidetrack to look out around for the coils they leave behind, if I notice they left any at all; it makes the power much less intuitive or convenient.
There's no point to the opt-in anymore, so it could probably stand to be rolled back.

Electric Shield now has a wonderful synergy with Speed in that you can pick up the shields and run around with them. However, this synergy quickly becomes a penalty because you have players losing additional energy for every few meters they travel with the riot shield - so players more rapidly run out of energy whenever Speed is active. I legitimately don't understand why this feature would need to be "balanced", since it was already a bit overkill that it costs energy for as long as the shield is in your hands anyway on top of the Duration timer. All the cost for movement does now is encourage players to sit still while the Shield is active, making it worse than not picking it up in the first place.
Go ahead and keep the speed penalty and the toggled cost on the riot shield, just remove the bonus cost for moving and it'll be set.

Discharge, I dislike for one non-standard reason: I can't cast it while airborne anymore. (In fact, oddly for someone whose Prime powers extend to govern lightning storms, a lot of Volt's powers seem to be distinctly anti-aerial maneuvering, particularly his passive.) Also, it feels like the range has been nerfed, although this may be simply because the electrical appliances are no longer tapped by the effect. I've found no reasons to dislike the damage or crowd control yet, though.

Edited by Archwizard

8 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Love, love, love the rework. I actually do damage as Volt now (even if he is a bit of an energy hog) - used to be I'd get maybe a maximum of 500 Focus during a Convergence proc, now I consistently get over a thousand minimum. No longer regretting putting a lens on him. Charging Shock with his passive or using it as something of a magic wand for his powers is neat too.

Electric Shield now has a wonderful synergy with Speed in that you can pick up the shields and run around with them. However, this synergy quickly becomes a penalty because you have players losing additional energy for every few meters they travel with the riot shield - so players more rapidly run out of energy whenever Speed is active. I legitimately don't understand why this feature would need to be "balanced", since it was already a bit overkill that it costs energy for as long as the shield is in your hands anyway on top of the Duration timer. All the cost for movement does now is encourage players to sit still while the Shield is active, making it worse than not picking it up in the first place.
Go ahead and keep the speed penalty and the toggled cost on the riot shield, just remove the bonus cost for moving and it'll be set.

Discharge, I dislike for one non-standard reason: I can't cast it while airborne anymore. (In fact, oddly for someone whose Prime powers extend to govern lightning storms, a lot of Volt's powers seem to be distinctly anti-aerial maneuvering, particularly his passive.) Also, it feels like the range has been nerfed, although this may be simply because the electrical appliances are no longer tapped by the effect. I've found no reasons to dislike the damage or crowd control yet, though.

The reworks new additions are great, agreed. They're just incredibly impractical to use with many builds because of the conflicts created when modding and the absurd energy cost on picking up the shield. To be honest, the slow on picking up the shield should be removed as well as the cost whilst traveling. Volt's signature ability, and the entire reason many people play him is 'Gotta go fast!' and it is completely the opposite with the Riot Electric Shield. No other Warframe has such a severe restriction for such a mild defensive buff.

5 hours ago, b0_on said:

Volt's Speed could use something of the following (ideally all of it, but even 1 change would be kind a nice):

1) Some sort of re-castability where its possible for old speed buff for players who havent refreshed it to still last on them, while new speed buff refreshes the old one.

2) Removal of this "Convergence treatment" and switching it to anything else really, be it opt-out in form of Settings in Options or a Back-roll disables Speed or prevents it from affecting u for 1-2-3-4-5 minutes or a wall latch, anything really. The visibility of this "Worms" or "Poop" that Volt leaves behind is quite low and it requires backtracking and Volt is a frame TO GO FAST. 

A smallish reload bonus would be appreciated as well, even with max power strenght the bonus reload speed is still kind a meh :/ 

The Reload Speed being unnoticeable is an issue with the formula for Reload Speed itself. Volt will give you as much as a Rank 9 Primed Fast Hands with maximum Power Strength.

2 minutes ago, YagoXiten said:

No other Warframe has such a severe restriction for such a mild defensive buff.

Electric Shield cancels rockets. Something that detonate on impact with anything else, like Snow Globes and walls, to hit enemies on the other side. No sells them, and everything else.

Mild? I get that it's directional, but it's anything but "mild".

Edited by Archwizard

6 hours ago, Spot. said:

Whether the reason being big or small, everything has a purpose for happening. Though I'm not saying that justifies it's existence, just that there was reason. There always is.

It was a complaint from some players saying that they didn't like having the buff forced upon them, as they were not use to going from 0 to 100 with speed. Sometimes not everyone wants the buff (strangely enough (go fast or go home!)), so this change was made to resolve that complaint.

This change sorta acts like a double edged sword, sense now it's more friendly with negative range builds not requiring the squad to be in hugging range of the Volt to get the buff and instead can get it when they see it. It also gives a chance for anyone who would have been outside the original range of speed to still grab the boost. But as everyone knows, the cost of this change is that it isn't instantaneous for the whole team now.

Am I saying that I agree with the change? No, this change could have been dealt with better, in all honesty, so I'm not all for it.

Shock and the new overload are plenty reason to keep your range at least balanced. Speed didn't even hurt anyone who wasn't butthurt from the beginning as the visuals weren't shared along with the speed.....one gotta be quite the loki to have issues witha lil more sprint speed...

He finally got something that benefits evryone and they nerf the execution. Seriously, i don't get it!

4 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Electric Shield cancels rockets. Something that detonate on impact with anything else, like Snow Globes and walls, to hit enemies on the other side. No sells them, and everything else.

Mild? I get that it's directional, but it's anything but "mild".

It's a strictly directional buff and you are often under attack from all sides.  It also doesn't protect against melee attacks. It's nowhere near the level of effectiveness defensively that Warding Halo, Ironskin, Defy, Pacify, Vex Armor, Shatter Shield, Shield of Shadows, Smokescreen, Prowl, and Invisibility provide.

It would be much stronger if he had higher defensive stats, but as it stands, you can lose your entire 1110 Shields to a single starting T4 Corrupted Crewman in a very brief time if he happens to flank you, and it has very little team benefit if you carry it. And assuming you move at a meager 10m/s, the base Energy cost is 15 per second, with a significant self slow attached (which pretty much counter-acts his second ability entirely), and a weapon use restriction.

so my main use of volt was farming using high power strength and duration for spamming speed mostly no changes to that aspect of him

his new reworked abilities are pretty cool

a low power strength and high range/duration build works pretty well for defence missions my only gripe with volt currently is his riot shield

the energy drain while picked up is fine but the increased energy consumption while moving especially at high speed is way too much for what it does 

all in all a decent alternative to frost if requiring more input then a frost would just needs his riot shield to be worth using over having zenurik energy recharge making more shields for protection

8 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Shock and the new overload are plenty reason to keep your range at least balanced. Speed didn't even hurt anyone who wasn't butthurt from the beginning as the visuals weren't shared along with the speed.....one gotta be quite the loki to have issues witha lil more sprint speed...

He finally got something that benefits evryone and they nerf the execution. Seriously, i don't get it!

What I meant with negative range is for if your going for a max duration and strength build for speed alone, which requires sacrificing range.

Some people just don't like getting speed boost apparently. Crazy, right? ╮( ● ●)╭

The issue could have been better resolved with a 'opt-out' rather then a 'opt-in', like others in the thread have suggested before. But either way, it's gonna be a win/lose for someone depending on how they prefer getting speed from Volt.

1 hour ago, Archwizard said:

Speaking as a Volt main: love, love, love the rework. I actually do damage as Volt now (even if he is a bit of an energy hog) - used to be I'd get maybe a maximum of 500 Focus during a Convergence proc, now I consistently get over a thousand minimum. No longer regretting putting a lens on him. Charging Shock with his passive or using it as something of a magic wand for his powers is neat too. Lots of playstyle options when I'm in a mission, whether I want to be mobile or defensive or a combination therein. Excellent.

Couple little... let's say "quality of life" issues though.

Speed no longer has an FoV change, so... why have an opt-in system now? The only reason someone would've opted out of the buff before was because they were getting motion sick, which was already addressed. Now when one of my allies is on Volt, I have to sidetrack to look out around for the coils they leave behind, if I notice they left any at all; it makes the power much less intuitive or convenient.
There's no point to the opt-in anymore, so it could probably stand to be rolled back.

I kinda miss bullet jumping all the way up to the air, then using 4 like Delsin and his Orbital Drop in Infamous: Second Son :<

And yeah Electric Shield's energy drain per step just makes me not want to use it. The range of what the mobile shield protects is so little, even, why give it even more energy drain than it needs?

I was more used to the Speed FoV change, but a lot of people seem to dislike it for some reason..

I was so wrong when I thought I'd like everything about his new change. e.e

I like Discharge with its augment though, and the fact that I can rely on it more when I want to revive teammates after stunning the enemies.

Just did more testing in the Simulacrum.. not everyone gets Tesla Coil'd :<

Edited by LunarEdge7
Info

On 5/27/2016 at 6:42 PM, RahuHordika said:

Because that is a basic and essential part of the movement system, not to mention one that is very easy to accidentally perform.

However, repeating myself twice, the opt-out should be instead a promt to press to not make it incovenient in any way, same with Limbo's Banish.

Simple fix.

To Opt out of speed:

Players need to roll within the first 2 seconds.

After that you're stuck with it.

Just now, (PS4)StarDustKillah said:

Simple fix.

To Opt out of speed:

Players need to roll within the first 2 seconds.

After that you're stuck with it.

Since I have a friend who mostly likes Speed, but occasionally dislikes it..it had more to do with the fact that I could affect him whilst he was doing parkour or running and gunning, which would cause a sudden change in his velocity and mess him up. So I think that the Opt In works better for that. The implementation of the opt in, however, has some good and some bad points. 

4 minutes ago, YagoXiten said:

Since I have a friend who mostly likes Speed, but occasionally dislikes it..it had more to do with the fact that I could affect him whilst he was doing parkour or running and gunning, which would cause a sudden change in his velocity and mess him up. So I think that the Opt In works better for that. The implementation of the opt in, however, has some good and some bad points. 

Where does the pick up spawn? On Volt or on allies?

1 hour ago, Archwizard said:

now I consistently get over a thousand minimum.

You know its a double affinity weekend, right?

But still... not a "Potent alternative to gunplay", Volt makes the gunplay better, not an alternative.