Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

On 10/12/2016 at 3:11 PM, (PS4)azul86sapphire said:

I think instead of asking the developers to create specific keybindings, what we really are looking for is more freedom in customization. Controllers offer much fewer button options than a keyboard, but even then there are only so many options of what we can bind to where.

Give options like button holds, double taps, and simultaneous presses for customization. It will give a lot more freedom. 

Yeah.... Okay, I won't get spoiler-y, but I gotta bring something up with TWW.

I CAN'T PRESS 5 ON A CONTROLLER!

I can select powers, but seriously DE PC Devs, the only way I can activate SPOILER is by taking my hands off my controller and pressing the "5" key.

I tend to use the D-pad left and right to select powers up and down. I don't get that option in TWW to tab over to 5 (which I thought was for the School ability.

Either way...

FIX THIS!

Please.

59 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

I can select powers, but seriously DE PC Devs, the only way I can activate SPOILER is by taking my hands off my controller and pressing the "5" key.

I tend to use the D-pad left and right to select powers up and down. I don't get that option in TWW to tab over to 5 (which I thought was for the School ability.

Either way...

FIX THIS!

Please.

on controller, the 5 button is accessible by using right trigger button and then the left trigger button. Or power menu and then power 5. You just have to hold it now instead of tapping it like before. It's basically the same as it was before the update. Unless something else is happening with how you have your controller layout setup.

Edited by DatDarkOne
added content and spelling

36 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

on controller, the 5 button is acceptable by using right trigger button and then the left trigger button. Or power menu and then power 5. You just have to hold it now instead of tapping it like before. It's basically the same as it was before the update. Unless something else is happening with how you have your controller layout setup.

During TWW, I could not use the D-Pad to select "5" or the power equivalent. So it might work fine in-game, but not in-TWW.

Edit: I'll try it out in-game, see how it works. Will be back with info when I get some info.

Edited by Salenstormwing

18 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

Okay... still can't select SPOILER. Have to use "5" on the keyboard.

Why? Because I don't use the Power Menu. I use D-Pad Right & Left for Next Power and Previous Power respectively.

You literally can't activate "Power E" without the Power Menu, with the way I have it set up.

Ahhh, now I fully see the issue.  When I setup my control scheme I took care to avoid doing just that with powers.  I'm not exactly sure what to tell you on how to resolve your issue.  Saying change your controller loadout would just seem harsh.  Sorry.

Edited by DatDarkOne
correction

Just now, DatDarkOne said:

Ahhh, now I fully see the issue.  When I setup my control scheme I took care to avoid doing just that with powers.  I'm not exactly sure what to tell you on how to resolve your issue.  Saying change your controller loadout would just seem harsh.

I like using the D-Pad. Right now, I'm always no further than 2 clicks away from what I want. And I just use the Left Bumper to activate. If I am on 3rd power, and I want to access #1, I push 2 left. Access my Focus power? 2 right. That's fine. Double-clicking allows me to select what I want with no issue. I just look at the Power "Dots" on the aim reticule to tell me which power I have selected. It's not bad.

I can't do that though with SPOILER.

And of course the Devs who work on the Consoles don't work on the PC, even though there are PC gamers who USE controllers. And they always do this... It's annoying.

The only thing I could do is maybe replace D-Pad Up from Waypoint to SPOILER, but I find waypoint to be more worth keeping.

5 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

The only thing I could do is maybe replace D-Pad Up from Waypoint to SPOILER, but I find waypoint to be more worth keeping.

This and the fact that some button --> function cannot be map. I currently use a swipe down (PS4) to activate current power (only way for me to activate Power E). How am I suppose to hold down that to activate the new mechanic? I guess I can fully get rid of my secondary fire button (UP d-pad) and replace it with Power E, provided I am even able allow to map it. 

Just now, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

This and the fact that some button --> function cannot be map. I currently use a swipe down (PS4) to activate current power (only way for me to activate Power E). How am I suppose to hold down that to activate the new mechanic? I guess I can fully get rid of my secondary fire button (UP d-pad) and replace it with Power E, provided I am even able allow to map it. 

I had my Alt-Fire mapped to Select, because Alt-Fire is only useful for detonating Synoid orbs, which is all I use it for. Every other alt-fire might as well be worthless since I can't aim when I've got my finger on select.

And as usual, I tried to "HOLD" the Power activate on the Focus Power, and that did nothing. No SPOILER power. So yeah... what a disaster for controller players.

15 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

I had my Alt-Fire mapped to Select, because Alt-Fire is only useful for detonating Synoid orbs, which is all I use it for. Every other alt-fire might as well be worthless since I can't aim when I've got my finger on select.

And as usual, I tried to "HOLD" the Power activate on the Focus Power, and that did nothing. No SPOILER power. So yeah... what a disaster for controller players.

Quick question: After you are in new "mode", what are the control input for new abilities? What is Shift, Space, etc? i.e. crounch, jump, slide, etc? 

Button combo for

1) Blast

2) "teleport" dash

3) "invisible" walk

I have a feeling that because I run a custom mapping setup, I will suffer greatly to the new system. 

Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName

Just now, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

Quick question: After you are in new "mode", what are the control input for new abilities? What is Shift, Space, etc? i.e. crounch, jump, slide, etc? 

I have a feeling that because I run a custom mapping setup, I will suffer greatly to the new system. 

Shift, Space, Crouch, Sprint; those were all the same. The problem is when you get back to your Warframe, and you have to use a power that's in "slot 5" but for me, that's my Focus Power. What I need is SPOILER to be Slot 5, and Focus Power to be #6.

2 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

Shift, Space, Crouch, Sprint; those were all the same. The problem is when you get back to your Warframe, and you have to use a power that's in "slot 5" but for me, that's my Focus Power. What I need is SPOILER to be Slot 5, and Focus Power to be #6.

Ok, thank you. 

I agree on having an option for power #6, but I think DE want the game flow to still be fast pace. I think they want us to be able to transition "in and out" effortlessly with a press of 1 button. In your (and possibly my) case, we will be slower in in activation our new mechanic. Our situation won't be optimal. I'll try to think of a solution or at least a compromise. 

Hmm...Concerning the new 'Spoiler' thing, would it be feasible to treat Alt fire as a vector? So, Power Menu+Alt Fire=Spoiler?

As it is, definitely needs a fair bit of work on making the system behave on the controller for PC as yet. Jumping around like a muppet is...kind of unbecoming of oneself.

14 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

Hmm...Concerning the new 'Spoiler' thing, would it be feasible to treat Alt fire as a vector? So, Power Menu+Alt Fire=Spoiler?

As it is, definitely needs a fair bit of work on making the system behave on the controller for PC as yet. Jumping around like a muppet is...kind of unbecoming of oneself.

Wat

Drop a spoiler tag (the eye icon) and just speak about it normally. I'm confused as hell lel

5 hours ago, Salenstormwing said:

Either way...

FIX THIS!

Please.

Yup ran into this. What a crapshow again. PC controller support exists and yet it's like no one EVER tests for it.

A single playtest would have identified this immediately. Controllers don't have E, or Shift or Ctrl, but especially 5. This made the War Within mission nearly unplayable.

53 minutes ago, Wandrecanada said:

Yup ran into this. What a crapshow again. PC controller support exists and yet it's like no one EVER tests for it.

A single playtest would have identified this immediately. Controllers don't have E, or Shift or Ctrl, but especially 5. This made the War Within mission nearly unplayable.

Annoying, isn't it?

And I've been playing since U7, and it still never gets any better for PC Controller players.

If you (or anyone else) wants to provide feedback about control use with the new abilities and what not, I made a thread over in the Warframe & Abilities feedback section:

I have the focus + spoiler activation problems too. I use the 4 D-Pads for the 4 powers for INSTANT access (this is non-negotiable), with all other keys bound to essential functionality, It's impossible for me to use 5 th power without purchasing a Pro controller.

The solution is simple and was done ages ago by Dragon Age series, dedicate one button for combos WHILE still allowing instant access to the initial 4 powers...depending how you implement it,  you can either add 4 buttons, or double your buttons...

After playing that specific part of the mission, I can say that was slightly problematic. I usually keep two frame powers on dpad for instant use with paddles on XB1 Elite controller. To resolve it I had to change one of the powers to the 5 during the quest.

I changed it back after the quest and then tested all functions. It was the limiting of warframe abilities in the quest that caused the issue. Because of this, I couldn't use the powers menu to activate 5 like I normally would. It's something I don't think DE realized when it was implemented.

True a simple config change can resolve the problem, but it shouldn't be needed in the first place. I hate to say it, but simple testing with a controller would have shown this to be an issue fairly easily.

On 10/12/2016 at 0:11 PM, (PS4)azul86sapphire said:

I think instead of asking the developers to create specific keybindings, what we really are looking for is more freedom in customization. Controllers offer much fewer button options than a keyboard, but even then there are only so many options of what we can bind to where.

I agree. Also, we desperately need an auto-run option, as constantly pressing the "run" button is getting tiresome.

To be honest, if the Programming Team can solve the "multiple" modes issue, we could literally bind our controls freely for:

-Normal (Our usual mode)

-Full Melee (We could open some buttons here. imagine being able to attack with X/Square on a controller without destroying Reload and Context?)

-Archwing

-Lunaro

-New system

I know that it can be done because there are games that work like this, what I don't know is how hard it is to pull it off.

18 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

To be honest, if the Programming Team can solve the "multiple" modes issue, we could literally bind our controls freely for:

-Normal (Our usual mode)

-Full Melee (We could open some buttons here. imagine being able to attack with X/Square on a controller without destroying Reload and Context?)

-Archwing

-Lunaro

-New system

I know that it can be done because there are games that work like this, what I don't know is how hard it is to pull it off.

They already do it with the Steam Controller, but the broke support there too. :/ 

2 minutes ago, Wandrecanada said:

There is a toggle option in the settings.  Toggle for run, crouch, channel are options I like to use. Less finger gymnastics.

For sure, and I use it. But certain actions put you back into walk, and then you have to hit the run toggle button again. I want to run any time I do something other than gently push the analog stick.

Edited by (PS4)underthumb