Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do I need Blood Rush?

(PSN)O_o_II_II_o_O

Question

My Orthos Prime was meant to be a two Forma build, however it will now require four. This is due to altering a slot for Blood Rush before I got Buzzkill and for Primed Reach at some stage.

This is the build I had planned

Bleeding Willow

Reach (Primed Reach) - Shocking Touch - Spoiled Strike - Pressure Point - Buzzkill - Jagged Edge - Berserker - Fever Strike

Now my question is should Blood Rush be in there or is this build better without it? I am not changing anything else regarding the build so I don't need alternative suggestions unless they would make a huge difference.

On a side note what is the advantage of changing polarities as from what I can see it doesn't make any difference in terms of improvement.

Thanks

25 answers to this question

Nothing needs blood rush.

That being said blood rush is to crit chance what berserker is to attack speed. It's a wind up. It's like turning your weapon into a minigun. The overall damage of a minigun once wound up is going to be higher than eg an assault rifle that has steady consistent bullet streams, but before it winds up it will be much weaker.

Blood Rush stacks with the combo counter. It might not be terribly useful without Body Count on the weapon as well to make the combo counter last long enough to use it for more than one or two targets. Maybe you could use just Blood Rush if you intend to go to town on a stationary boss or other single HP Sponge?

Using both costs you a lot of damage for two mostly empty slots at 0 combo counter. I really only use this for melee-only and in a situation where I can reliably keep getting kills to keep it going. I can't even think of anything I've used a Blood Rush / Body Count build for except solo/PUG survival... edit: and melee-only sorties of course.

Edited by VKhaun

I would highly recommend to only use blood rush when paired with a body count mod otherwise it'll be extremely hard to keep up the bonuses. Also I would replace the jagged edge with a 90% cold mod (assuming this is a void build), due to more damage gained and better resistance coverage. 

For the last slot I would recommend either a life strike mod to sustain your health or a maiming strike mod to guarantee crits on slide attacks which will greatly help your berserker mod.  

Edited by Dragazer

13 minutes ago, (PS4)HR_Pufnstuf_1984 said:

On a side note what is the advantage of changing polarities as from what I can see it doesn't make any difference in terms of improvement.

Mods with the right polarity cost half points in those slots. This allows you to use more mods than is normally possible before you run out of points on the weapon. It restricts the weapon to mod types though, as mods with the wrong polarity cost extra points in those slots.

23 minutes ago, VKhaun said:

Mods with the right polarity cost half points in those slots. This allows you to use more mods than is normally possible before you run out of points on the weapon. It restricts the weapon to mod types though, as mods with the wrong polarity cost extra points in those slots.

Sorry I meant swapping the slots as opposed to using Forma to half the slot.

Also if we forget Blood Rush as it isn't in my suggested build, what am I changing? Jagged Edge for a 90% cold mod (North Wind?) but that then I can't have Maiming Strike unless I remove something else. I also don't have those mods hence why I was trying to avoid moving away from the actual query.

Edited by (PS4)HR_Pufnstuf_1984

5 minutes ago, (PS4)HR_Pufnstuf_1984 said:

Sorry I meant swapping the slots as opposed to using Forma to half the slot.

to get an organized build.

for example, i want all my madurai polarities at the top left, but the frame had already a V in the bottom left slot, so i switch them to make the build look clear.

It doesn't offer much, but is entirely free (after you forma'd that weapon/whatever at least once)

also, sentinel and kubrow percepts have a priority based on position, and if i want for example the sanctuary to get the highest priority, i have to move a D slot to the top left (all sentinels have a percept slot there by default)

1 minute ago, Krumplifej said:

to get an organized build.

for example, i want all my madurai polarities at the top left, but the frame had already a V in the bottom left slot, so i switch them to make the build look clear.

It doesn't offer much, but is entirely free (after you forma'd that weapon/whatever at least once)

also, sentinel and kubrow percepts have a priority based on position, and if i want for example the sanctuary to get the highest priority, i have to move a D slot to the top left (all sentinels have a percept slot there by default)

I see. Thank you

I love Berserker/ Blood Rush/ Body Count combo, specifically on slow, high damage weapons like fragor or galentine, Longer combo, higher crit chance and damage, faster attack speed. But this build, or even just using Blood rush by itself, is dependent on enemies being available for you to kill.  

mmm, Blood Rush doesn't do much unless you also have Body Count.
since Orthos Prime has a 10% Crit Chance, on this Weapon it won't even be useful unless you get to atleast like, 2.5x Multiplier. so for most Missions, it won't help much.

(also, you should remove Jagged Edge, any Elemental is better than it. similarly, Buzzkill can't become a truly useful choice unless you're only fighting Armor/Shield Stripped Enemies (which with Corrosive you aren't), so it waits until after 3 Elementals before you really bother and even then it's only okay).

if you're looking to fit Blood Rush and Body Count - replace both Slash Mods with them.
Maiming Strike is neat too, certainly works well if you like doing Slide Attacks a lot with your Orthos.P.

it's worth noting i guess that Spoiled Strike could be replaced. it is effective on Melee Weapons, but if you replace Slash Mods and still want to find another Slot, Spoiled Strike would be next.
along with Berserker, those would be the next two choices. 10% Crit Chance is alright considering Orthos.P's Range. (which speaking of, Primed Reach at some point will be hilarious)

19 minutes ago, (PS4)HR_Pufnstuf_1984 said:

Adding mods as I was waiting to acquire the others. My Orthos is my only good weapon so I needed it working at its peak. Can't all be experts.

Ah in that sense. Well, I have two options for you:

1) Fixing your build

2) Giving you a vastly superior build, that requires a change in melee play style.

1) Problems in your build are: Buzz Kill, Jagged Edge, Spoiled Strike and 90% elemental mods.

Buzz Kill will not outperform an 90% elemental mod. Jagged Edge is bad. Spoiled Strike only remotely worth it on a weapon that already has 4 x 90% elementals, Berserker and Fury.
If you don't want to build your Orthos around Blood Rush - you don't need it. Orthos only has 10% x2 crit stats, they are enough to sustain Berserker, but not good for anything else.
If your intent is to use it in high level Void and such, you should build it via dual-stats for Corrosive damage proc. You should either go for Corrosive + Blast or Corrosive + Cold, with other mods being PP, Berserker, Life Strike, Fury, Primed Reach. Think about what you need and what you don't need.

2) Do you like spins? This is currently the strongest build you can do on Orthos for like 98% of this game content. "Strongest" means it can perform on a level of Mirage with Simulor.

Spoiler

sc2BtS2.jpg

Well, obviously save for the casual Reach.

It will outperform other alternatives by the factor of tens. But it requires you to spin and slide a lot.

On a side note - Bleeding Willow is objectively inferior to Shimmering Blight. If you simply like the move set - it's fine, but if your priority is to get maximum out of Orthos - it isn't the best choice.

Edited by Epsik-kun

blood rush depends on your play style , I personaly dont use it with my excalibur simply becouse it would be dead slot same goes for valkyr , wukong , however I use it with every other frame whats is melee focused like ash , inaros , loki .

9 minutes ago, Senketsu_ said:

My Nikana Prime build is blood rush, body count, berserker, crit chance and damage mods, pressure point, prime reach and a furry, after I kill two guys I start getting red crits, this is now my favorite melee build.

Well my Nikana P is R17 so I will bear this in mind once I get it to full. What stance?

3 hours ago, VKhaun said:

Blood Rush stacks with the combo counter. It might not be terribly useful without Body Count on the weapon as well to make the combo counter last long enough to use it for more than one or two targets. Maybe you could use just Blood Rush if you intend to go to town on a stationary boss or other single HP Sponge?

This^^. But then again, unless you are using melee as a main there is no "need" for blood rush/body count combo. Maiming strike is a better option, in my opinion.

Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName