The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When will be he best time to introduce people to Warframe?

Kethus

Since the quests are confusing unless you have played Warframe since the "What Stalker?" meme was a thing and the overall learning curve is kinda steep unless DE makes the game more newbie friendly I guess the best time will be during the anniversary because of the free potatoed stuff with their own slot.

As far as I'm aware, any time is a good time to join. The new quests that are added do not affect lower-level players until they reach that stage - they don't miss anything overall. But Warframe is a game you've got to be dedicated to (to some degree, preferably a healthy one), and only by being loyal will you reap the rewards. The tutorial is there to help, remember. I see new people day in, day out in Larunda Relay.

For me, it was when I saw TB play it on stream. I actually really liked Trinity Prime, Sonicor and Tonkor combo he was using. So I downloaded the game, having a clear goal in my head - to get those three. Not sure if it would've grabbed me without that. I got them and had to take a break from the severe burnout from the farming forgetting trinity prime. But then I began to miss the game and came back and now I play daily. 

The only place I think the game fails is telling players about the options they have and how to pursue them. I think this game is in a severe need of an indepth market and blueprint tutorial.

Good thing there's a market overhaul incoming. I think it'll help clear up a lot of confusion.

Besides that DE knows the game does not have an optimal structure for new players and they are defenitely working on it. One step at a time

Edited by ArcticMantis

Just now, ArcticMantis said:

Good thing there's a market overhaul incoming

Where did you hear that? Did they mention addressing the issue that the Market looks like it's supposed to be Warframe's cash shop and when a new player checks it out, sees everything costs plat and assumes the only way to get new weapons is via plat?

https://warframe.com/news/marketplace-redesign-coming-soon

It's been stated that the new Market will clear up the fact that it can look like everything is behind a platinum-only wall:

Spoiler

"A large majority of Market-related complaints we receive relate to the confusion between built items (aka Platinum-purchased) and Blueprints. With the current Market set-up, a lot of players do not realize that there is a Blueprint Section for Warframes, Weapons, and Sentinels. This confusion tends to lead to the quick dismissal that the Majority of Warframe's content is only available for Platinum. If you've been playing Warframe for a while, you know this is not the case. This new Market makes that much more clear. "

I know exactly what you mean, it's one of the reasons I abandoned the game within a week of playing it the first time. It's only later when you find it's not as bad as it looks. Or maybe it is (considering the grind/RNG) but it became a lot more fun for me when I had a group of friends to join in.

I think that's your answere: As long as you have enough good friends to play with, it won't matter at what time you start as a new player in WF

Edited by ArcticMantis

1 hour ago, Kethus said:

Since the quests are confusing unless you have played Warframe since the "What Stalker?" meme was a thing and the overall learning curve is kinda steep unless DE makes the game more newbie friendly I guess the best time will be during the anniversary because of the free potatoed stuff with their own slot.

The learning curve isn't that high unless you go into raids immediately after you begin playing.

I have started about a month ago and didn't find the learning curve too steep. The major problem is with the game sometimes telling you what you need to do next, like the stalker fight at the end of second dream (had to google to realize I should be shooting the attacks not the stalker), quests that have a riddle or do not add markers to the map. The other strange thing is explaining the weapons progression as I was inherently expecting my weapons to become better has they increased in level. But if you have friends who play the game or just make some online then it should be easy 

1 hour ago, QuietBiro said:

For me, it was when I saw TB play it on stream...

3 minutes ago, Bacms said:

I have started about a month ago and didn't find the learning curve too steep...

What about the quests, assuming you did the Second Dream, didn't you find yourself asking

Spoiler

"Am I supposed to know who this guy is?" and "What debt is the Jupiter boss talking about? Why is he suddenly half-infested? (if you didn't do the Patient Zero quest before that, quests that lead up to Natah are optional and can be missed and done later and it will get more confusing, as the characters react as if Natah hasn't happened yet, more on that here)

22 hours ago, Kethus said:

I actually introduced a friend to warframe along that time. He got 3 free weapons and he found the game much more enjoyable and much easier to actually survive and play along side me.

When DE finally introduces a tutorial that actually explains the game, and (somehow) find a way to reintroduce past events so that new players can at least tell what the hell is going on with the story.

That or after a major patch so new players won't be affected all that much after a big change. 

Edited by TotallyLagging

Why does there have to be some sort of special time to introduce people to the game? I drag friends into it all the time, show them the ropes, help them beat bosses and farm the frames they want, share my rare mods with them and two weeks later they quit and never come back. ♥

1 minute ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

When they allow you to gift your excessive or extra mods to friends and family. Because yikes, the new player experience is awful. I'm watching my kid try to level a frame and it's just painful to behold. 

So gift them through trade in your dojo?

5 minutes ago, Berserkerkitten said:

So gift them through trade in your dojo?

They have to reach rank 2 and that's not happening till 2017 apparently. And if you look closely you'll see I'm on a console, so it's a family account. I can't meet them in a dojo, since he'll be on his account using my PS4. And no I'm not buying them their own PS4 just for Warframe trading.

With friends and family who own their own consoles, well think how cool that would be to get into a chat and tell them, hey I maxed out a Serration for you, its waiting for you in Warframe, stop playing dark souls and come back.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

7 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

They have to reach rank 2 and that's not happening till 2017 apparently.

Right, forgot about the console thing. My bad. I don't suppose you have friends or family with their own console and a dojo you could trade the mod to, so they can trade it back? Far from ideal, I know. I don't really get the part about rank 2 not happening till 2017.

Edited by Berserkerkitten