Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Forum Reputation for?

Xekrin

8 hours ago, Xekrin said:

I get a fair bit of reputation on some of my posts and I've always wondered, other than an indication that someone likes your post, what's it for?  I mean, people have given reputation for agreeing with your statements or feedback, because they find your post amusing, they want to show support for your ideas or fan concepts.

These are all great reasons but I'm curious if it is used for anything official.  What I mean by that is, for example, in a rework concept thread, if your post gets 100 :heart: 's would DE consider your thoughts more closely?  Or do you think it matters not at all?  Is reputation just another form of social standing as 'Likes' are in social media and doesn't mean a whole lot because it is so easily and freely given?

I mean I could literally go through every thread and like every post, good or bad, and it doesn't really affect much.  Of course, I always smile whenever I get reputation because I'm happy someone found my post worthy of that extra step of clicking the heart.

That's all, comment your thoughts or allow this thread to fall into obscurity with all the others.

It's worth nothing. It's easy to get if you pick your topics and timing with it in mind and if you like to argue in less popular topics you will end up low on it. It's not even a measurement of popularity as there is no down vote (Which would get abused too, btw) so it's misleading that way too.

On top of that I bet some are addicted to up-votes.

Edited by Golmihr

2 hours ago, White-Gin said:

@Rhekemi
Numbering list for better reading, understanding key points. And stating my reasons as an artist.

1) Not everyone needs acknowledgment, doesn't matter from whom, and into what degree. Yes, we can debate that one doesn't accept it even if he is endorsed, he forcefully can neglect it, as a psychological self treatment of not letting yourself get too comfy or relax, obviously to not lose the built-up inertia in *insert any work you are doing*.

Most artists I know (and I still consider writers artists, because writing is an artform as much as traditional art can be 9 to 5 work/a job) never actually relax or get comfy. We're our own worst critics, and I'm no different.

That I don't show it doesn't mean I don't second guess every piece I write, nitpick it and keep nitpicking it until I submit it, then see 10 new things I should have changed before sending it. 

Most of us are perfectionists about our craft in ways we might not be about anything else. Some of us are just plain perfectionists about everything.

I know many writers who do not like praise, and only want negative feedback, or criticism. They tend to not believe praise, and only see the faults of their work, or what needs improvement.

I'm of the belief that to truly grow, you need both and have to learn to accept both. I believe in balance, so it's the kind of feedback I try to give. It do not mean this as an insult, but as a personal belief: it does not seem healthy to run on pure positive feedback and run from critical feedback, even negative. The opposite is also true.

We do not create in a vacuum/just for ourselves (though we could if we wanted to).

I am like that, hence me providing myself as an example. Only after my work is done I can let myself loose a bit, and only then I seek out mainly for constructive criticism, other endorsements such as "Great work!" etc. don't help me other then morally. And fortunately im quite independent on positive reinforcement, maybe because of my sheer will (don't know) I am at that point that it's not that meaningful to me. However I do accept the compliments and such to not appear rude or ignorant, because manners. 

So, in short, some do need it, and some are like me - they don't.

Yeah, I understand that. I can see how my first post generalized in a way you felt didn't apply to you.

2) I think it was a poor choice of words on my side. But from reading what I said above you can get what I meant. However, appreciating is one thing and accepting is another.
I can appreciate a gift, but I can't accept it. It's a bit two-sided, but the point lays in each individual's principles relevant to the current situation and the other's.
I can appreciate other's attempts and act's of gratitude/help, but I can't accept them due to my own beliefs/reasons etc.. To some this seems as a narcissistic attitude, but it's shouldn't be confused with it. Being independent of other's opinions no matter what kind whilst accepting only the useful ones and not accepting out of personal ego is different. I'm the former. On small occasions I can go beyond it, but no more then I can control.

Also, I do understand that everyone without a doubt needs some positive backup from anyone at all, otherwise one can go mad, but speaking in the current context of the topic, that notion is negligible, afterall, we are talking about internet reputations, attitudes, not personal (like very personal (atleast to me)) conditions.

I get where you're coming from.

Maybe it is negligible but that, too, is subjective. It may be negligible to you and me and many others, but you know why I don't say it's completely meaningless?

Because I don't know that it is completely meaningless to every member. I don't know their life. I don't know what warframe, and its community, means to them. I belong to other gaming communities and I can tell you stories of friends whose lives were basically saved by an online gaming community. 

One friend I met and came up with in a game later told me how the game pretty much gave him a home during very dark years in his young life. It gave him a group of friends to call his home, family.

I lost another friend and staff/dev team member recently and the game we helped work on was a part of his life as much as it was mine. He was much younger than me, but he poured time and energy into it despite his health conditions. As best we could, we gave him back as much positive energy as he put into the game. He put that same amount of energy into his music, his family, his programming, and his education. 

Likes, upvotes, have their negatives. No doubt. Misusing and abusing them, relying on them as an unhealthy form of positive reinforcement isn't good. 

But the broader point is you never know how much online activity means to people. You never know how far they'll go from there (within the game I mentioned, my mates and I all started as scrubs).

If your reputation is also a cumulative representation of your standing in a community, then that matters in the context of that community. If people do get positive energy out of it, it isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean we're saying likes are EVERYTHING, just that to some degree, it may matter enough to boost someone when they're low.

That is human, just as it's human for you to not need that boost, not accept it.

While it's true, we shouldn't take the internet too seriously, it's also important to remember that underneath all the online culture, we're still human beings in a social setting, socializing, interacting, connecting.

3) I know. But mine wasn't in any way referring to your comment, as it was an expansion and addition to my own. Everything else that is in that part (what you wrote) I agree, have nothing to say, add.

Oh, I see. I read that wrong then.

4) "Stating my reasons as an artist."
So, yeah, im kinda in the pithole of it.
You can see my work if you want to, I won't advertise it, neither will I try to advertise other's work as a comparison.

Sure. PM me. I'll be honest. I don't have anything to show for that's published yet, but the plan's to change that.

I have heard/read/listened already to a dime-a-dozen of "how I did it" quotes/stories/posts etc., no offense, it's a bit annoying, because the pattern and the solution is ALWAYS the same - hard work, that's it.

I guess I'll skip my speech I was about to make...

Well, im not addressing that problem, if you did see my work, you can understand why. The problem lies in the exposure one work gains over the others and how "hoarding" views hinders it.

Yes. Success is not only what you know, what you're capable of, it's often who you know. To that end, if you aren't a total lonewolf, you have to make your own meaningful connections. Even if it's just one ally, associate, peer, benefactor or friend. 

Your connections come in handy in ways you often don't expect. (Another reason to treat people you meet with respect...unless they're ***holes.)

Im a victim, since as an artist I consider that some of my work should get more views then the others of my own. And as I stated above I am seeking mainly useful constructive comments, I am aiming in only improving what I have. Sometime I compare my work with other artists and I wonder why or how there is such a difference (in everything practically).

Everyone goes thorough phases like that, though. Difference is what you decide to do afterwards. People make those hard work speeches because they're true.

Same thing is noticeable with others, where some should be more know/popular then others, but it's not the case.

Yep. Happens all the time.

Now back to me, since I am improving myself as much as possible, without hindering my principles and rules, I as an artist am obviously aiming to get paid for my work. Because everyone needs to eat, pay his/her bills, get new clothes etc. And the thing is, if it weren't for my principles and rules I would have twice as much exposure as I have now. But the question and problem is, WHY should I do that? Why must I hinder the essentials that actually make me an individual in the society(even though I don't quite take act in it), so that I can, roughly said, survive. To me it is kinda unfair.

This is the question all artists have to ask themselves, really. Do you compromise your integrity to make more money, faster, gain more popularity? Or do you stick to what you believe artistically?

Yes. It is unfair that at any given moment, the market/consumers can say that THIS, THIS THING is what they want, and all things like it. If you don't create that thing, it does kind of suck.

What do you do? Soldier on. There are plenty of things my peers in writing turn out that I can't and still look myself in the mirror.

Of course there is a difference between an artist and a writer, and the difference lies in the fact that I can't just take a break mid-work to recuperate myself. That is a leisure I can't afford, not to mention other artists, because it's as valuable as time, and as I quote myself: "The main enemy of all artists, who is unfortunately unbeatable, is time."

As stated above, writers are also artists in my estimation. Whether or not an artist (traditional) can take a break depends on the artist, though. If you have something to fall back on, or if you have to take a break for your sanity, then you can/must take a break.

My break was critical to me even continuing writing at all, so I'm grateful I was able to reorient. 

I hope you get some way to navigate your field and find success, mate. I'm talking like I've already hit the big leagues, haha. Confidence and a year's worth of focus talking.

I don't ask for likes, acceptance, followers, etc. because those things hold zero to none value to me, other then having a portfolio, about which I don't care, and people who can support financially in my bigger projects(which I have and the ONLY reason any follower still means something to me), that's it. I am more interested in people understanding what I do, what I draw. And I am a victim of this system, where such people as me, and no doubt many others, that are hidden amongst the masses don't get atleast a bit of what they deserve. That is the problem, the unfair game.
___
We did stray a bit off topic, probably, but I guess this somehow straightened it out.

That's part of what I mean when I say "we don't create in a vacuum" artists, writers of old had that curse and blessing. Toiling away in solitude (and madness) sometimes.

With the world as connected as it is, we're inundated with networks and instant feedback, and instant gratification, and attention seeking. We do need followers, readers, people interested in our work and careers in order to have a career to begin with to some degree. (How much we personally need their acceptance is separate from this fact that we can't create in a vacuum.)

Navigating the world as it is, and not as we wish it was, is one part of the solution as I see it. Deciding what we are comfortable with, what does not compromise our integrity, and helps us instead of hinders.

Followers, given the platform, can help any artist. There are a number of traditional and digital art platforms that you could use to your advantage, just as I use advantages in my industry to further my writing.

Just make sure you pick the connections.

Edited by Rhekemi

11 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

Most artists I know (and I still consider writers artists, because writing is an artform as much as traditional art can be 9 to 5 work/a job) never actually relax or get comfy. We're our own worst critics, and I'm no different.

That I don't show it doesn't mean I don't second guess every piece I write, nitpick it and keep nitpicking it until I submit it, then see 10 new things I should have changed before sending it. 

Most of us are perfectionists about our craft in ways we might not be about anything else. Some of us are just plain perfectionists about everything.

I know many writers who do not like praise, and only want negative feedback, or criticism. They tend to not believe praise, and only see the faults of their work, or what needs improvement.

I'm of the belief that to truly grow, you need both and have to learn to accept both. I believe in balance, so it's the kind of feedback I try to give. It do not mean this as an insult, but as a personal belief: it does not seem healthy to run on pure positive feedback and run from critical feedback, even negative. The opposite is also true.

We do not create in a vacuum/just for ourselves (though we could if we wanted to).

Yeah, I understand that. I can see how my first post generalized in a way you felt didn't apply to you.

I get where you're coming from.

Maybe it is negligible but that, too, is subjective. It may be negligible to you and me and many others, but you know why I don't say it's completely meaningless?

Because I don't know that it is completely meaningless to every member. I don't know their life. I don't know what warframe, and its community, means to them. I belong to other gaming communities and I can tell you stories of friends whose lives were basically saved by an online gaming community. 

One friend I met and came up with in a game later told me how the game pretty much gave him a home during very dark years in his young life. It gave him a group of friends to call his home, family.

I lost another friend and staff/dev team member recently and the game we helped work on was a part of his life as much as it was mine. He was much younger than me, but he poured time and energy into it despite his health conditions. As best we could, we gave him back as much positive energy as he put into the game. He put that same amount of energy into his music, his family, his programming, and his education. 

Likes, upvotes, have their negatives. No doubt. Misusing and abusing them, relying on them as an unhealthy form of positive reinforcement isn't good. 

But the broader point is you never know how much online activity means to people. You never know how far they'll go from there (within the game I mentioned, my mates and I all started as scrubs).

If your reputation is also a cumulative representation of your standing in a community, then that matters in the context of that community. If people do get positive energy out of it, it isn't a bad thing. It doesn't mean we're saying likes are EVERYTHING, just that to some degree, it may matter enough to boost someone when they're low.

That is human, just as it's human for you to not need that boost, not accept it.

While it's true, we shouldn't take the internet too seriously, it's also important to remember that underneath all the online culture, we're still human beings in a social setting, socializing, interacting, connecting.

Oh, I see. I read that wrong then.

Sure. PM me. I'll be honest. I don't have anything to show for that's published yet, but the plan's to change that.

I guess I'll skip my speech I was about to make...

Yes. Success is not only what you know, what you're capable of, it's often who you know. To that end, if you aren't a total lonewolf, you have to make your own meaningful connections. Even if it's just one ally, associate, peer, benefactor or friend. 

Your connections come in handy in ways you often don't expect. (Another reason to treat people you meet with respect...unless they're ***holes.)

Everyone goes thorough phases like that, though. Difference is what you decide to do afterwards. People make those hard work speeches because they're true.

Yep. Happens all the time.

This is the question all artists have to ask themselves, really. Do you compromise your integrity to make more money, faster, gain more popularity? Or do you stick to what you believe artistically?

Yes. It is unfair that at any given moment, the market/consumers can say that THIS, THIS THING is what they want, and all things like it. If you don't create that thing, it does kind of suck.

What do you do? Soldier on. There are plenty of things my peers in writing turn out that I can't and still look myself in the mirror.

As stated above, writers are also artists in my estimation. Whether or not an artist (traditional) can take a break depends on the artist, though. If you have something to fall back on, or if you have to take a break for your sanity, then you can/must take a break.

My break was critical to me even continuing writing at all, so I'm grateful I was able to reorient. 

I hope you get some way to navigate your field and find success, mate. I'm talking like I've already hit the big leagues, haha. Confidence and a year's worth of focus talking.

That's part of what I mean when I say "we don't create in a vacuum" artists, writers of old had that curse and blessing. Toiling away in solitude (and madness) sometimes.

With the world as connected as it is, we're inundated with networks and instant feedback, and instant gratification, and attention seeking. We do need followers, readers, people interested in our work and careers in order to have a career to begin with to some degree. (How much we personally need their acceptance is separate from this fact that we can't create in a vacuum.)

Navigating the world as it is, and not as we wish it was, is one part of the solution as I see it. Deciding what we are comfortable with, what does not compromise our integrity, and helps us instead of hinders.

Followers, given the platform, can help any artist. There are a number of traditional and digital art platforms that you could use to your advantage, just as I use advantages in my industry to further my writing.

Just make sure you pick the connections.

Well, I think we do need to have middle ground here. So, how about this compromise, even though our point's of view intergect, they understand each other.
On average, everyone needs a reputation, connectivity with the public, even if the system of votes(and others) can be/is abused, both giving positive and negative results. But if we dig deeper into individuals, no matter the ratio or amount of them, then not everyone has the need for such interaction, since they can live on pretty fine even without it.

I can PM you my work, although it's easy to find it here on the forum... albeit there is little of it...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 5:05 PM, PrimeDCookieMonstah said:

True, let me post a meme and get 20 upvotes because its a good post. 

Depends on the meme. If it's pretty good, I'll throw you one of those 20 upvotes.

Humor, good humor, is actually kind of hard to do. I always wish I was a bit wittier, good at brevity, and admire it in others. But alas, I'm long winded and all too serious.

On 26.7.2016 at 6:40 PM, Xekrin said:

These are all great reasons but I'm curious if it is used for anything official.  What I mean by that is, for example, in a rework concept thread, if your post gets 100 :heart: 's would DE consider your thoughts more closely?  Or do you think it matters not at all?  Is reputation just another form of social standing as 'Likes' are in social media and doesn't mean a whole lot because it is so easily and freely given?

I doubt they consider it more if it gets 100+ rep. I mean I had a 300 rep post in the Partnership ChangYou thread and it still happened. Or perhaps it has to have to do with feedback on the game itself.

3fc402e72c.png

Though [DE]Skree visited my profile afterwards, I mean that's something...right?

Otherwise you can just see it as social standing and forum activity just like posts. Just that you can't really inflate your rep count as much as your post count.

On 26.7.2016 at 10:35 PM, (PS4)PillarOfWar said:

How do I farm it??? 

There used to be a rep farm in off-topic for a few days after the forum update. But then the forum police came, raided and closed it.

On 2016-07-27 at 6:29 PM, (XB1)MK Ultra K11 said:

I sometimes like to imagine the amount of down it's I'd get if they were a thing.

Downvotes used to be a thing and as you can imagine perfectly good posts were downvoted.

Power corrupts and downvote power corrupts downvotedly. It's power beyond our ken, too much for any one person to have. So they took it away.

1 minute ago, Mastikator2 said:

Downvotes used to be a thing and as you can imagine perfectly good posts were downvoted.

Power corrupts and downvote power corrupts downvotedly. It's power beyond our ken, too much for any one person to have. So they took it away.

If that was a thing couldn't we just get in large groups follow someone we didn't like and downvote all of their posts? My rep would be -99999999999.

38 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

How do you check?

I'm not sure, I cant find the thread that linked it, but there were pages from the most upvoted to the least, it was just as the forum overhaul happened.

Edited by Venom-Snake

13 hours ago, Skycook3y said:

13 hours ago, Venom-Snake said:

I'm not sure, I cant find the thread that linked it, but there were pages from the most upvoted to the least, it was just as the forum overhaul happened.

Woo! I'm 2 away from first page!

On 7/26/2016 at 0:40 PM, Xekrin said:

Of course, I always smile whenever I get reputation because I'm happy someone found my post worthy of that extra step of clicking the heart.

You and me both, hehe~  I get all doki-doki when I see more  :heart: 's on my post
m21CunS.gif

Or conversely, my other reaction when forum-senpai notices me and likes something I wrote:
xyqlsB5.gif