The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Warframe horror

Worckseer

Infested missions used to be lights out only, and Phorid and especially J4 were faster and pretty hard to keep track of, so you'd wind up being instagibbed by something that you literally hadn't seen yet in some instances. While creepy space monsters crawled all over you. It was pretty freaky.

41 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

For the Infested, i would like to see them scale in movement speed and to have health regeneration over time, like Rejuvenation.

With how scaling works in Warframe, high-level Infested will teleport around and regenerate their entire HP pool in a second.

I had a few "diversification" ideas over in my Moshpit of Ideas that I thought could maybe help them seem more threatening and terrifying, but, sadly, the best I could do is to A) create an Infested group that has innate damage reduction bonuses, ability health regeneration, and the ability to come back from the dead once if not shredded to bits or defiled and B) a group with increased attack rate + move speed, converts allies killed in battle into more of them, and spread long-lasting viral and toxic P.R.O.C.s whenever they attack. Not sure if that's quite "horror" makeing material.

Edited by Unus

7 hours ago, Roachester said:

Infested missions were actually legitimately terrifying some years ago. Most of that had to do with the music and atmosphere, though.

Not sure when or why they changed it into what it is today. Maybe I can find a video of it.

EDIT: Eh, best I could find.

Oh yeah, wonky runners are wonky :) I miss them...

6 hours ago, MadHatHacker said:

Infested missions used to be lights out only, and Phorid and especially J4 were faster and pretty hard to keep track of, so you'd wind up being instagibbed by something that you literally hadn't seen yet in some instances. While creepy space monsters crawled all over you. It was pretty freaky.

This. During that time I was literally afraid to play infested missions, it was legit spooky for me.

13 hours ago, DzeraDragonbane said:

Kind of hard to feel fear when your warframe looks like a badass and kills anything that even gets 5 meters near you.

Suspense creates fear.

Your warframe isn't immortal either. The old infested, had something i honestly had a hate/love relation: they could stunlock you. It was just not wise to melee them at all and seeing many in groups was literally panic inducing.

And well.. ancients were more of tanks than they are now and which led to huge panic moments. (and exciting too)

21 hours ago, Siugeppe said:

So what should they do?
Should DE lower the number of infested enemies and making them harder to fight? Instead of 100 mobs to easily kill just 30 that hide in the dark waiting to kill us all?

Or make their number bigger and bigger lowering their strenght? Instead of 100 mobs easily to kill 300 even weaker (but at least we'll feel surrounded the whole match).

They are not scary right now for sure, and i don't know if i'd like them to be or not, but just for knowing how would you make them scarier?

300 stacking toxic ancients

The whole nature of the game seems to have moved away from a scenario that would make the Infested we have now scary imo.

-Energy is easy to get

-Ammo drops tend to be plentiful

-Rooms are well lighted

-Mods are available that help keep you from being incapacitated

-Frames are generally more powerful and more durable

-Tilesets give players enough room to move to keep zergs from being too bad... Seemed like the old maps had hordes of infested pouring out of every door.

That's not to say that DE couldn't make them more of a threat, but I don't know that they could without it getting complained about nowadays.

The old Tar Mutalist Moas had tar that dramatically slowed and darn near insta-gibbed squishier frames and it was complained about loudly (for some good reasons too). 

21 hours ago, EmptyDevil said:

I feel like DE should change the way factions scale to add to their uniqueness.

For the Infested, i would like to see them scale in movement speed and to have health regeneration over time, like Rejuvenation.

It would also be pretty cool to see Runners and Volatile Runners get replaced with procedurally-generated units that look like Infested versions of Rescue Targets, Syndicate Operatives, and ETC. That would probably help increase their horror factor and make it less odd to see mostly Infested Crewman.

Or add "advanced" infested units, mutations of Chargers, Leapers, Runners and Crawlers with more advanced stuff on high level missions, and keep the current versions in low level missions. Also, the Infested Rescue targets could be added. When you open the door of the prison the target has already been mutated and you have to put it out of his misery, but he keeps rising, and you need to escape. All other infested could receive the same treatment, raise again until you completely destroy the body either with Slash, Cold, Fire or Corrosive damage.

25 minutes ago, Plushy said:

I think infested are kinda cute once you get past the whole extra arms and faces thing. The tiny infested I want to keep as pets.

They used to be humans, too.

Hmm, now I'm not sure if that'll make them look cuter or not :p

The can be scary at high level on the cramped parts of Eris infested ship map. Especially when you cant run past them on the vents.

18 minutes ago, Plushy said:

I think infested are kinda cute once you get past the whole extra arms and faces thing. The tiny infested I want to keep as pets.

Yeah i can see getting a maggot for pet and throw it on an grineer or corpus face so it matures inside of them. Xenomorphs FTW

(Now im thinking on an infested throwing weapon that spawn maggots when you kill an enemy)

On 18 August 2016 at 2:41 PM, Roachester said:

Infested missions were actually legitimately terrifying some years ago. Most of that had to do with the music and atmosphere, though.

Not sure when or why they changed it into what it is today. Maybe I can find a video of it.

EDIT: Eh, best I could find.

That video tells me that much has been gained, but also much lost, by virtue of the faster gameplay we have now.  Yes, it's kinetic and exciting, but there was also a certain charm in each separate encounter being more of a "thing", more Dark Soulsey, with a slower pace and a sense of more at stake.

Warframe has turned into a game where we just blitz through what are now subjectively tiny maps at incredible speed, mowing enemies down like ninepins.  That's what takes away the sense of adventure that this old video shows (and I've seen other old videos that make me think the same way).

I honestly don't know the way out of this conundrum.  What I would prefer to see would be DE investing in servers and making bigger maps that are big enough to solve for our incredible pace.  We can't go back to the above sort of gameplay because there would be riots at the loss of pace.

It's possible that Damage 3.0 could solve it though.  I think what went really wrong with Warframe was two things: 1) not nixing coptering as soon as it became apparent (thus creating an addiction to speed that's been with the game since), and 2) elemental damage being more than IPS damage, it's just too ridiculously high, it should always have been an adjunct, not the main source of damage as it often is now.  If DE can carefully rein in the damage we deal, while keeping the difficulty cap more or less as it is, and not introducing any more cheese like Nullifiers to counter our OP-ness, then maybe we can get a happy medium between fast-paced travel from encounter to encounter, but more decisive encounters, less of the sense of mowing down even very high level mobs like they were nothing.

Edited by Omnimorph

Looking at the video, I'm not seeing that much in the way of fear inducement back then. Things only seem to seem. . . what's the term. . . grittier? The horrors we have right now seem much more horrific then those stiff chumps from before. That lighting however? Almost double the effects of the Erisian lighting! Let's see some more of that moodiness wherever we need it most!