Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns.

KeiYinXI

Question

So I'm currently looking into going into Shotguns, I've never tried them and I'm certainly curious about how they work.

Would anyone be able to recommend me a good Shotgun? preferably not a Prime one as I have a difficult time collecting prime parts. I'm also currently looking for a new Secondary to use on Titania, as the Akmagnus I use are not that great for me anymore.

As a secondary i highly recommend Akstiletto prime. They are fun to use and extremely efficient.

As  for shotguns. I really like the Strun wraith modded for 100% Status. But, of course, there is always the sancti tigris. I personally dont like it but the damage it does is off the charts.

Edit: Just realised you didn't want to farm prime parts. You could try the regular Akstiletto or the Vaykor Marelok. Also the Staticor seems to be pretty good.

Edited by (PS4)Hahzulmun

try all of the Shotguns. they all perform exceptionally well, with incredible Damage, coupled with other benefits, without [/i]any[/i] downsides to 90% of Equipment.
personal suggestions would be Strun Wraith or Vaykor Hek.

if you're really looking for Shotguns, Pyrana is a well performing Secondary Shotgun. Kohmak may also be worth trying.
but AkMagnus is incredibly powerful, if they're not effective enough, then i recommend putting one or more Status Mods on them, as well as putting Crit Mods on them.
in the end, Mods makes up the bulk of the effectiveness you see from a Weapon. Multi-Shot is cruicial, having the appropriate Elemental Combo is cruicial, using Crit Mods on Weapons with high Crit Stats is pretty important, Et Cetera.

I'm not fond of shotguns in particular. Many of them suffer from serious damage falloff from range, which can create unnecessary problems. I do recommend Vaykor Hek as well as the Hek, the latter with more status chance while the former with more crit. I've seen others perform exceptionally well with the Tigris prime where they essentially mowed down Ruk in a single second in a squad with 3 Tigris primes, and that's a sortie level Sargas Ruk. For secondaries, I recommend Rakta Ballistica, as well as the Vaykor Marelok, Lex prime and Akstiletto prime. Pox can also be an excellent alternative.

Virtually every shotgun (yes, that includes the Detron, but not the community-declared-terrible Broncos) has a place or use. Explore the possibilities, build ALL of the ones you can build, and use them.

Find that one shotgun that suits you. If you like how Tonkors work (fire, reload, repeat) then any Tigris will be for you, if you have Mastery 12/13, you can go for the Syndicate or Prime version, whichever you think would be better.

I always see people talking about the hek and recommending it, and while i agree it has great stopping power its limited magazine size of 4 shells is one thing that puts me off using it at times, for me one of the most underrated Shotguns is the one that i fell in love with, the Sobek, it has a 20 shell mag and a decent ammo supplyl, is full auto and has high damage per pellet, and on top of that its a MR4 weapon.

Edited by Nova73

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Hahzulmun said:

As a secondary i highly recommend Akstiletto prime. They are fun to use and extremely efficient.

As  for shotguns. I really like the Strun wraith modded for 100% Status. But, of course, there is always the sancti tigris. I personally dont like it but the damage it does is off the charts.

Edit: Just realised you didn't want to farm prime parts. You could try the regular Akstiletto or the Vaykor Marelok. Also the Staticor seems to be pretty good.

Where would I get the parts for Akstiletto prime parts?

26 minutes ago, Nocam said:

Akmagnus isn't a shotgun, people...

But yea, Kohmak is actually pretty good. And Drakgoon is good for lots of slash damage, if you're like me and hate the trigger setup of Tigris.

I was talking about the Secondary weapons when reffering to the Akmagnus.

42 minutes ago, taiiat said:

try all of the Shotguns. they all perform exceptionally well, with incredible Damage, coupled with other benefits, without [/i]any[/i] downsides to 90% of Equipment.
personal suggestions would be Strun Wraith or Vaykor Hek.

if you're really looking for Shotguns, Pyrana is a well performing Secondary Shotgun. Kohmak may also be worth trying.
but AkMagnus is incredibly powerful, if they're not effective enough, then i recommend putting one or more Status Mods on them, as well as putting Crit Mods on them.
in the end, Mods makes up the bulk of the effectiveness you see from a Weapon. Multi-Shot is cruicial, having the appropriate Elemental Combo is cruicial, using Crit Mods on Weapons with high Crit Stats is pretty important, Et Cetera.

I haven't gotten around to upgrading some of the mods; but this is my current build for AkMagnus https://gyazo.com/9dd6d1fb6ed43b17bea9c9e68b835ce7

31 minutes ago, KeiYinXI said:

I haven't gotten around to upgrading some of the mods; but this is my current build for AkMagnus https://gyazo.com/9dd6d1fb6ed43b17bea9c9e68b835ce7

ah. well, all Secondary Weapons will feel 'eh' without Hornet Strike upgraded. i'm not saying it has to be maxed for Weapons to feel useful, but most of the way there rather.

in addition, Barrel Diffusion and Lethal Torrent are mandatory. critical Mods to have!

you need an Elemental Combo or your Weapon will always be meh. remove Gunslinger(Semi-Auto Weapons are capped to 10 Shots per Second anyways), No Return, and Concussion Rounds and replace with another Elemental Mod, to mix two different Elemental types to make a new Damage Type.
Enemies you scan will show in the Codex what Damage Types they are resistant or weak to!

once you do that you'll probably have room for Target Cracker, which will be nice to have. use in conjunction with aiming for the Heads of Enemies. Crits deal extreme Damage if you shoot things in the Head (or whatever counts as their head, which gets complicated with MOA's and advanced Infested for example).

in the long run, you'll find Status Elementals from the Lv40 section of Void, Hive Sabotage, and from all 3 Tiers of Spy Missions (rewards are separated into Lv1-10, 11-20, and 20+; different rewards at each Tier). these are highly cost efficient Elemental Mods, that also highly increase Status Chance.
initially you'll be interested in these because of their extremely efficient use of Mod Points, to get good Elemental Damage for a lot less points than the 90% Elementals. but they're also the main Status Mods.

27 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

Definitely go for Hek with Scattered Justice Augment. It razes everything in your path with ease, you can get it to 100 status chance and proc like there's no tomorrow. 

*snaps fingers* i knew that wasn't right when i read it, so when i double checked that i wasn't surprised when it was false.
mNd9qUc.png

pure Status on a Hek would be a waste of time. to get high Status on Hek pretty much ruins the Weapon, because your Damage will be poop for no good reason.
pls just use a Status Shotgun, so that you don't need to use every Status Mod there is to try and get SOME Status Effects.

inb4 'but the Chance is really high!" - actually, each Pellet in this situation has a ~3.4% Status Chance. terrible.

there is exactly one way to get Status on Hek - and that is to use 4 Status Elementals, and Nano-Applicator. that requires having the Mod, which one can't be sure that a Player does. (it's also a time sensitive Mod based on casting Abilities.)
this is still a huge waste of the Weapon however, and again you're much better off using a Shotgun that actually has high Status, so that you can get good Status with MUCH fewer Mod Slots dedicated for Status.

because why would you use this:

CEEcRwt.png

when you could use this:
because using a Damage Weapon for Damage will work out a lot better.

e53HIEu.png

Kohm is easily my favorite Shotgun, it's a beast of a crowd shredder
(which is not to say that it's anywhere near disappointing if you go close-range with a heavy, mind you),
dat innate Punch Through (also dismemberment, yay Nekros), large magazine and ammo reserve are nifty.
Shotgun Ammo Mutation is pretty much a must (Primed FTW), but with that, nothing stands in the way of max dakka :D

Staticor is indeed a great Secondary, same for e.g. Atomos (with Ruinous Extension plskthx),
for a non-Prime crit auto monster, there's always Twin Grakatas:clem:TWO GRAKATA:clem:

I assume you're not near MR12 yet so Hek and Sobek would be good for you.  To make them shine, you do need to get Scattering Justice for Hek and Shattering Justice and Acid Shells eventually.  Hek was my primary shotgun for a long time, but recently I discovered how much fun Sobek with Acid Shells is.  If you put a potato in either of them, it can carry you through the star chart.  I also use Vaykor Hek and Santi Tigris quite often.  No comment on Tigris Prime because I'm still missing some parts to build it.

I really like Sancti Tigris it is so much fun to use and in all honesty the low magazine and medium reload time are insignificant as it will shred everything in it's path so you rarely need to reload that fast. The added perk of getting life back is also very usefull for frames with low health that usually rely on Quick Thinking to survive. I also need to mention that modded correctly the Sancti will benefit Titania incredibly. Other Shotguns worth mentioning as those before have said are Vaykor and regular Hek, Sobek, Kohm ( basically a machine gun with shotgun pellets) etc.

As for secondaries I also have to agree that the Akstilletto Prime is absolutely amazing and if you do LOR at all the Brakk is also worth a look.

Thing about all these weapons is you really want to spoil them. By that I mean if you feed them between 1 and 4 forma (depending on starting polarities) they will truly shine!

Farming Prime Parts in all honesty has never been easier so you really should try for the Akstilletto Prime

18 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

I assume you're not near MR12 yet so Hek and Sobek would be good for you.  To make them shine, you do need to get Scattering Justice for Hek and Shattering Justice and Acid Shells eventually.  Hek was my primary shotgun for a long time, but recently I discovered how much fun Sobek with Acid Shells is.  If you put a potato in either of them, it can carry you through the star chart.  I also use Vaykor Hek and Santi Tigris quite often.  No comment on Tigris Prime because I'm still missing some parts to build it.

You wouldn't happen to have a spare Shaterring Justice? I think I'm going with the Sobek

Hek is easy to get, easy to build, and will carry you from early to late game.  Just look at how many mods there are that increase shotgun base damage, puncture, or multishot for the Hek.  It's almost as though the game is telling you what gun to use.

If you go for max damage you will massively overkill everything on the star chart and most stuff in sorties, so my usual hek build sacrifices a little bit of damage for punch through.  This negates the small clip size since you can clear out whole mobs in a couple of shots.

Hek also suffers minimal damage reduction at range unlike most other shotguns.  

Edited by (XB1)ThermalStone

4 hours ago, KeiYinXI said:

You wouldn't happen to have a spare Shaterring Justice? I think I'm going with the Sobek

Sorry, I don't at the moment. I don't support Steel Meridian, but I can ask someone who does for one.  If you can't get it from elsewhere, let me know.