Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Caustacyst

ShikaRoddy

28 minutes ago, Azrael said:

We should make a list of every weapon that's ever been called garbage. I'm pretty sure it would be every weapon in the game, but it would be neat if there were something that had somehow miraculously escaped the usual hyperbole.

I think Tigris Prime and, maybe, Galatine Prime are probably the only ones.

Doesn't matter, anyway. Everyone (read: people fickle enough to call it trash after this fix) would have stopped using the Caustacyst once its novelty wore off and it would have faded into obscurity as, "that elemental scythe that does that thing." People calling it garbage and pretending that they were actually going to continue to use it is the funny part.

20 minutes ago, Fansay said:

Suddenly millions of players are able to playtest this weapon. You could give the entire team at DE a week to play with this weapon and it would not get used nearly as much as the combined hours from players on its first day of release.

This is a very good point. We're really a much more effective testing team than anything DE could put together in-house. Things will be much easier for us if we just accept that bugs will happen and fixes will too, and that sometimes those fixes will make things less powerful than they were on release. Same thing goes for changes like the Telos Boltace thing. While they clearly meant for the spin attack to trigger from quick-melee, it wasn't obvious that it was a bad idea until millions of people started using it and people started spamming it and nuking entire rooms, at which point DE said "whoa! that wasn't the best idea. Let's make thing more reasonable."

13 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

I think Tigris Prime and, maybe, Galatine Prime are probably the only ones.

Doesn't matter, anyway. Everyone (read: people fickle enough to call it trash after this fix) would have stopped using the Caustacyst once its novelty wore off and it would have faded into obscurity as, "that elemental scythe that does that thing." People calling it garbage and pretending that they were actually going to continue to use it is the funny part.

Heh heh, you're probably right.

Also... *sees avatar* WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH CHIPPUTER?!

2 hours ago, ShikaRoddy said:

I wonder if we could have statistics of players buying Caustacyst in plat pre and post nerf. Was wondering how many people were mislead by unintended slash proc.

Sry dude you just got #DEpunked buy the masters of social experiments #DEPrankGods.

That's what happenes when you buy weapons for plat plat.

#DEThugLife #NerfsMakeGameFun #NeverRefungs #NeverLucky #2BadSoSad  #BestGame2016 #GGDE #BybyBeautiful

Edited by nelu_Y3K
more #

As a console Tenno that regularly relies on Youtuber feedback on content and riding on that hype, and then realizing that the Caustacyst gets "fixed" for an "unintended feature," I can very much confess that I'm in a pretty frustrated state at DE's approach to releasing content to the masses.

And I honestly feel sorry for the Youtubers that were excited and praising this weapon, only to happen to lie to their fanbases that the one feature the Caustacyst had that could compete against crit-based Blood Rush + Body Count + Berserker meta melee builds has been removed. It's as though DE is using these individuals as a review board to perform sleight-of-hand adjustments after the content has been presented and gone viral that would ultimately destroy whatever amazing quality the initial presentation had in the first place.

As the age-old idiom states: "Like taking candy from a baby."

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

to perform sleight-of-hand adjustments after the content has been presented and gone viral that would ultimately destroy whatever amazing quality the initial presentation had in the first place.

You're presenting this as some evil plot by DE to deceive us, but it would be a pretty incompetent plot. Interest in the weapon would probably be higher if it hadn't accidentally set expectations higher than it was supposed to by doing those slash procs. Is it so hard to believe that it's not easy to release a weapon with no bugs? I mean. it's not like any of us can call upon years of experience with releasing bugless weapons, right?

The weapon was good while it lasted,it is building in my foundary

I though that there would actually be another melee weapon with a GOOD unique mechanic just like zenistar but DE had to disappoint me

they should have just left it be, I don't care about logic. This game isn't made of logic, it is made of cool space shooting and slashing

They should just bring the slash proc back 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

As a console Tenno that regularly relies on Youtuber feedback on content and riding on that hype, and then realizing that the Caustacyst gets "fixed" for an "unintended feature," I can very much confess that I'm in a pretty frustrated state at DE's approach to releasing content to the masses.

And I honestly feel sorry for the Youtubers that were excited and praising this weapon, only to happen to lie to their fanbases that the one feature the Caustacyst had that could compete against crit-based Blood Rush + Body Count + Berserker meta melee builds has been removed. It's as though DE is using these individuals as a review board to perform sleight-of-hand adjustments after the content has been presented and gone viral that would ultimately destroy whatever amazing quality the initial presentation had in the first place.

As the age-old idiom states: "Like taking candy from a baby."

yes, not like the charge attack still opens enemies to finishers.

Not like it has corrosive base damage, which allows for amazingly destructive capabilities against Grineer.

Nah. It is oh so terribad now. It no longuer "competes" with meta builds by managing to kill equally powerful enemies in a fraction of the time.

Oh. Such cruelty has DE inflicted upon us.

PS.: And they didnt made youtubers lie. They just have to add a note saying "Welp, seems this got patched. Sry."

Edited by tnccs215

I wonder why it took a while for DE to acknowledge that this was an unintended feature though...I mean, they released the weapon during the Index Preview. 3 Hotfixes later they "fix" it, without addressing it beforehand.

Yes, I believe pure-elemental weapons can do slash damage, look at Lacera for example

Spoiler

:^)

Just now, p3z1 said:

I wonder why it took a while for DE to acknowledge that this was an unintended feature though...I mean, they released the weapon during the Index Preview. 3 Hotfixes later they "fix" it, without addressing it beforehand.

Yes, I believe pure-elemental weapons can do slash damage, look at Lacera for example

Reveal hidden contents

:^)

Honestly, I dont believe it was unintended. What I do believe is that it was way powerful than it was supposed to.

I mean, slash proc with stealth multiplier?! They probably forgot that detail, or that it can reduce enemies to nothing in milliseconds. It was grossly overpowerful.

Whether it was originally a fault or a feature is irrelevant. What matters is that it trivialized the game a lot more than the current power creep function allows, and a tone down was more than predictable: It was in order.

I, for once, am gonna build it regardless. It's the only innately corrosive melee weapon, features an interesting charged attack mechanic, and isn't all that weak to begin with. So yes, Im gonna use it, just like I use the other scythes and Ack & Brunt: because it's perfectly useable and f!ck power creep

It's sad how many people just desperately want to cheat in an already easy game, to the point that game-trivializing bugs are vehemently embraced as legitimate content.

Too bad the amazingly well designed Equinox doesn't let me use anything but Energy Overflow.

Cmon, buddy, you know better than that.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

1 minute ago, tnccs215 said:

Sorry. I was long consumed by the salt. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Can't really blame you for that, but that's what we sign up for when we like this game.  DE will probably never be straightforward about the development process and "flashy" new content will always take precedence over finer game design.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

Just now, RealPandemonium said:

Can't really blame you for that, but that's what we sign up for when we like this game.  

That's such an unfortunate truth.

Mh... I just reminded myself that Rhino got looked over before her.

Im gonna cry for a bit. Excuse me

*leaves holding tears*

9 hours ago, Azrael said:

You're presenting this as some evil plot by DE to deceive us, but it would be a pretty incompetent plot. Interest in the weapon would probably be higher if it hadn't accidentally set expectations higher than it was supposed to by doing those slash procs. Is it so hard to believe that it's not easy to release a weapon with no bugs? I mean. it's not like any of us can call upon years of experience with releasing bugless weapons, right?

6 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

PS.: And they didnt made youtubers lie. They just have to add a note saying "Welp, seems this got patched. Sry."

The sad and unfortunate reality is that social media is the cruel machine of advertisement. It's not an evil plot devised by DE, but the evil circumstances of setting the bar of expectation in selling what could be said the best quality of what the weapon could achieve (which has been removed). Expectations were shot high because of the Slash DoT, that was the primary selling point of the weapon. Sure, the niche is that it can shoot a wave per charge attack that leaves puddles in its trail, but what was advertised was the Slash proc from the charge attack taking advantage of the stealth multipliers. And per its removal, without the Slash procs on the Caustacyst, it is / has become a lie by design of media expectancy.

Not once did I say that the Caustacyst has become a terrible weapon. It has, however, dropped one or more levels below what could compete with meta melee crit builds that have flooded our choices for melee combat. And, in a way, that is pretty unfortunate by default.

Yes, there is Blazing Fury from the Madurai Focus school, but for us Focus farmers we've known about this already. 

What I'm iterating is that DE set themselves up for backlash on this feature that was buttered up to be amazing due to the DoT, and it's removed. Whatever binary alignment that has graced our human reasoning this situation chooses to be, be it evil plotting or just corrections, the result is still disappointment.

3 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

4 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

Cmon, buddy, you know better than that.  

Sorry. I was long consumed by the salt. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Equinox to get looked at as well. ._.

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23
grammar fixes.

Okay, I'll address few points made for the nerf/fix

But it doesn't make sense for a corrosive weapon to proc slash:

Only a few things in Warframe make sense if you want to pick on the sensical side of the things. Convectrix deals slash damage despite being a laser weapon, Phage spreads disease with... a laser... Destreza is a puncture melee weapon that deals most damage as slash.

It was too OP:

For the charge time it has even with primed fury it is just silly and the only thing made it worth charging up was the projectile that inflicted slash proc. Sure, the damage was quite high, but that can be altered without losing the effectiveness of the weapon.

It's still a good weapon:

Scythe stances are garbage, Caustacyst is a status weapon, with the swing speed of a shovel. Guess why no one cares about Lacera. It is outperformed by hybrid and crit weapons easily eg. Dual Ichor, Mios, Broken War, Nikana series etc.

TL;DR Welp. I guess we're back to scythes being useless and a MR fodder weapon class.