The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you think Warframe should be more mainstream popular?

Godzelda123

Sometimes it annoys me how underrated Warframe is, it's a hidden gem of a game. Usually when I tell people I play it they'll say "Oh I think I've heard that name" or just haven't heard of it at all. At times I want everyone to know about this game and to see major gaming websites or Youtube Channels talking and referring to it. Then again I rather enjoy the small community, and the hidden gem aspect kinda makes Warframe feel more special. Kinda like you're part of some secret club in a way. So what do you guys think? Would you enjoy Warframe more of it was popular as other Triple A games? Or is it's popularity fine where it is? 

23 minutes ago, Godzelda123 said:

Youtube Channels talking and referring to it

it is getting there ever so slowly Drift0r actually did mention warframe for a few seconds that's it....

plus i noticed ADs for the game are popping up in other websites i use a lot more than usual warframe can possibly blow up in popularity any day, week, or month now.....

if you want to know what i mean go at the 8 minute 45 second mark of the video below 

Keep in mind the video was uploaded early October 9th 2016 

Edited by (XB1)falconpwnch0234
fixed a typo

31 minutes ago, friendofvampires said:

Keep in mind WF is in the top five free to play games on steam at all times. Up there With Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2

This is true, but yet I don't see it referenced nearly as much as those two games. TF2 espeically seems way more popular when it comes to the fanbase and amount of players. 

44 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

First there is the stigma to free to play. Second its a third person shooter, third its a grind farm. Not everyone goes for all three. Its got healthy numbers regardless.

That's also something I didn't think of. Warframe is a mish mash of genre's that might not be for everyone, it's perfect for me but it makes sense why not everyone digs it. 

IMO Warframe is already big enough to DE handle. I think they said to PCGamer they like to maintain the game under the radar to prevent an overflow of players that can make them lose the control of the game. And I think they're right.

They aren't a huge studio that makes triple A games every 2 years. Its their first game alone without a publisher telling them what to do, maybe when they have the confidence they can handle an even bigger Warframe or even two MMOs at the same, they will do. Because Warframe's marketing is really small. I only play Warframe because one day I was checking an thread about a mod and a very poor made ad appeared.

Looked like the ad came straight from a browser game, I gave it a try and here I am, 3 years later. I think 30k-60k players online is enough, don't need to get bigger.

One of the most important features for a "mainstream successful" game is competitiveness, often in the form of PvP, but could also be in the form of leaderboards of high scores or record times. 

Given how the majority of Warframe's player base hates PvP, and the lack of emphasis on leaderboards (which get reset weekly), Warframe fails to cater to those who prefer competition. Instead, Warframe fills a niche for casual-type gamers who find enjoyment in progression without the need to compare themselves to others.

Unless Conclave kicks off as a viable competitive game mode with a substantial player base, it would be difficult for Warframe to become "mainstream popular".

If you think Warframe should be more popular, that would mean that Warframe would have to spend thousands, if not millions, of dollars (or Canadian dollars) in order to advertise their game everywhere. That would mean TV commercials, sponsorships, banner ads, billboard ads, etc. That would also mean that DE would have to hire market researchers and whatever goes into making these sort of commercials to go big. If DE really wants to make it big, they would have to invest into making the game big. 

It's easy to be super involved in the gaming culture where everyone knows 90% of the games coming out as well as all the little indie games, but to reach AAA levels of community, that requires a lot more money and effort that DE can't afford right now.

Edited by Mr.ToastForPresident

5 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

One of the most important features for a "mainstream successful" game is competitiveness, often in the form of PvP, but could also be in the form of leaderboards of high scores or record times. 

Given how the majority of Warframe's player base hates PvP, and the lack of emphasis on leaderboards (which get reset weekly), Warframe fails to cater to those who prefer competition. Instead, Warframe fills a niche for casual-type gamers who find enjoyment in progression without the need to compare themselves to others.

Unless Conclave kicks off as a viable competitive game mode with a substantial player base, it would be difficult for Warframe to become "mainstream popular".

I agree. Some players still compare themselves by having a low-key intrapersonal competition against others through owning exclusives, rare items, and/or Mastery Rank. That form of competition hurts the pride less than getting destroyed and doesn't measure any thing, like skill, that would cause them to feel inadequate at something.

I think Warframe would need loads of polish + a lot more balance passes on players AND enemies, if it wants to reach even greater heights, IMO.

2 hours ago, paragasu said:

Warframe is probably at the same position as mount & blade game...both is a good game but not for everyone

I play both and I know It is not for everyone. But while warframe is a mmo esque game then the m&b not but very moddable and very popular. With the sequel coming soon the hype is so high and this reached more players.

4 hours ago, Godzelda123 said:

Sometimes it annoys me how underrated Warframe is, it's a hidden gem of a game. Usually when I tell people I play it they'll say "Oh I think I've heard that name" or just haven't heard of it at all. At times I want everyone to know about this game and to see major gaming websites or Youtube Channels talking and referring to it. Then again I rather enjoy the small community, and the hidden gem aspect kinda makes Warframe feel more special. Kinda like you're part of some secret club in a way. So what do you guys think? Would you enjoy Warframe more of it was popular as other Triple A games? Or is it's popularity fine where it is? 

How do you get more mainstream than the 5th highest player amount on Steam?

15 minutes ago, Mints said:

How do you get more mainstream than the 5th highest player amount on Steam?

While Warframe has the 5th highest player count on Steam, Warframe isn't widely known.

If you ask a gamer of they know about League of Legends, Battlefield, Call of Duty, or Overwatch, odds are that they've either played or have seen gameplay on those games. However, of you ask if they know of Warframe, odds are they've never played or even heard of it.

I honestly thought that Angry Joe covering Warframe was surprisingly huge and made me realize that the game and DE themselves are actually trying to be known a little more; I think Rebecca and Steve stated it in a Devstream or Livestream, that they're starting to think more about advertising and such. 

I mean, you made this thread right after Warframe was invited as sponsor at the Game of the Year Awards and that was definitely huge too! 

Lets allow DE to learn a little bit more, lets keep playing with the ups and downs till MR-30, lets support them to be steady until Update: 25

The more broadcasted a game becomes the more demand is placed on it. With update:18 & 19 they've shown that they're still learning but improving and lets not forget that DE alone doing all that. Fame will come by itself.

Not really.  I feel like DE wouldn't be able to handle that many players with a game that is frankly having a hard time figuring itself out still.  I feel like in order for them to get that popularity WF would have to go under another huge change and possibly lose the identity it holds (however little it may be.)  It's still doing incredibly well considering it's a 3rd person free to play that is a looter.    The pure fact that it was good enough to be warrented on both console platforms as a title without a well known publisher should say something.

I really would like Warframe becomes more popular. More popular means more money - more mony means more development - more development means more and better content. I will emphasize that this is not meant negative. After the latest game additions (Riven, Kuva...) I'm a happy veteran player. It unbelivable how good this game is.

A lot of people have tried Warframe, but Warframe's problem is retention.  It's a fun game, but many can't stand the insane grindiness, timegates (crafting), and/or RNG of Warframe.

In addition, we're really not working toward any goal in Warframe...at least not a traditional gaming goal.  We're just chasing MR.  For a lot of gamers, that's just not enough.

No.

NO because we already have community issue with new players (VS veterans).
I already said once, i will keep repeating it until i see that option in this game - we need kickvote option! Every mainstream game have that option for single reason, to make healty environment and pleasant weather in community. If you have in squad some abuser, simply kick him from squad and continue with the game. Until they add kickvite, other 3 players need to go to extraction to get rid of that abuser. A year ago, there was no need for it, but now its urgent to add that option.
One more thing, if WF become more mainstream, they will ease this game even more (veterans will understand this).
I am really against that idea of WF being more mainstream, it will ruin game exprience for older players that are here for a long time.
Its just a question of what do you want - disciplined old community, veterans and die-hard fans that support this game since forever or horde of new players that play it for few months and then quit it when they finish all the quests or quit it because they had enough of grind or got bored and go back to TROVE or DOTA?
I would rather stick with old players and keep them as sangréal

Edited by ARHYST