The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have a conversation about Trade Chat?

Ranchpig

I know DE is aware that most people are a bit unhappy in one way or another with trade chat.    It's become just a mess.   It's not efficient. During peak play times its scrolling so fast, and now with all the added parts, it's just a clusterpuck.   I have so much stuff to sell but really don't like the hassle of trade chat or maroo's.   I do use a 3rd party website, but it's kinda sad that we don't have a better system in-game.

Can you all come up with some ideas that are an easy way for DE to transition to a better system.

Couple of my ideas:

1. If they're gonna leave it as is then seperate tabs for Mods, Warframes, Weapons, Misc - reduce the clutter

2. Maroo's bazzar:  a more line-item style.   Name - Part - Plat - WTB/WTS,  just scroll thru sortable tables and double click to chat or something like that.

Even if you LOVE the current system isn't there some way to improve it? 

The easiest fix would probably be to split the trade chat into different categories. There is just too much going on and it moves way too fast. Alternatively setting a max limit of user for the trade chat and then add additional trade chats (trade 1 -- trade 2 -- trade 3 -- you get the idea) could work too.

I'm of the opinion the best fix would be a chat filter. That way you could type in "Valykr" and only see messages containing the word "Valkyr" or you could type "WTS" and only see messages from people selling things. It would also clean up the Recruiting channel, so two birds with one stone.

I just want an auction house of some sort.

Throw the item up alongside the price onto a sort of list and you can go on your way, some other guy can visit the trade and scroll through the list of put up offers, if he finds one he is happy with, he can buy your offer with his plat, your item automatically goes to him and you get the plat.

Add more to this idea if you see fit.

Edited by (XB1)calvina

Repeating myself again, but I guess I will be until DE takes a stance on the matter.

I think a fully automated Auction House is too much, but leaving it the way it is now is even worse.

What we do need is a "noticeboard" system.
It will preserve the "feel" of a raw trade chat while reducing the spam and chaos of it.

The way it would work is simple:
You put up a message like you do now (WTS Grate Prime 500p) and it lands on the noticeboard until you log off or cancel it
A person who's after grate prime will type "grate prime" in noticeboard's search function, and it will pop up all the messages matching the filter.
From there he can just contact the person who wrote the message, and the rest is obvious.

tl;dr we need warframe.market in an in-game UI

PS. Same can be done for Recruiting, too.

Edited by Shifted

I like the noticeboard idea. I think there's a reason so many people end up back in Region to sell things or look for a squad. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "But I've been there and people aren't responding!" Chat either goes too fast, or enough people are put off by the current system that they don't bother using the proper channels and would rather go other places to trade, i.e. Region Chat, their Clan, third party websites, etc..

i suggest a WTS, WTT, and WTB separate channels.

That's the easiest thing to do. A channel for specific items will still have walls passing by real fast.

The real problem is reading through stuff and seeing what exactly is the poster advertising.

If you have specific trade types you will know that everything scrolling through is up for sale, trade, or people buying and the only thing you have to worry about it seeing the item listed.

22 minutes ago, (XB1)calvina said:

Throw the item up alongside the price onto a sort of list and you can go on your way, some other guy can visit the trade and scroll throught he list of put up offers, if he finds one he is happy for he can buy your offer with his plat, your item automatically goes to him and you get the plat.

+1

10 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

i suggest a WTS, WTT, and WTB separate channels.

That's the easiest thing to do. A channel for specific items will still have walls passing by real fast.

The real problem is reading through stuff and seeing what exactly is the poster advertising.

That alone would not help much. Because +90% in the trade chat is "WTS" so that would remain a mess that goes by too fast to see what people actually try to sell.

Edited by ----Fenrir----

36 minutes ago, (XB1)calvina said:

Throw the item up alongside the price onto a sort of list and you can go on your way, some other guy can visit the trade and scroll throught he list of put up offers, if he finds one he is happy for he can buy your offer with his plat, your item automatically goes to him and you get the plat.

This would work very well.  I've seen it used to great effect in the Forza Motorsport games. 

57 minutes ago, (XB1)calvina said:

I agree, it would be cool if both these things were used. I mean, it would be feasible to set up an auction house like you describe. I would like it if you could search for specific items and WTB/WTS/WTT but I think you may have meant that. Also, they should offer this as an alternative, as I've got to admit, there is a certain sentimentality associated with the hustle, bustle and the absolute mess of the trade chat. It may be absolute rubbish, but when you're glum, it does kinda make you go 'that's absolutely horrible...but I do kinda like it that way.'

Edited by (XB1)rocketstar31

I hate the trading in this game but I never use trade chat.

People charge far too much there, warframe.market is much better.

That being said i'd prefer an auction house or being able to set up a stall with an NPC stall holder so I don't have to stand there like a numpty which the current god awful system makes me do.

As it stands I don't trade anymore. I've used it in the past and I hate it so now i'd rather go without what I need than go through that.

2 hours ago, (XB1)calvina said:

Bad idea. Now only about 5-15% online players (or even less) are engaged in trading at the same time, yet with automated auction the whole playerbase, even those players who arent logged in, would try to dump all their spare items for plat. Imagine what happens with prices once the market gets this over saturated with wares.

And trading without person to person interaction allows for auction botting.

3 hours ago, Syvarin said:

I'm of the opinion the best fix would be a chat filter. That way you could type in "Valykr" and only see messages containing the word "Valkyr" or you could type "WTS" and only see messages from people selling things. It would also clean up the Recruiting channel, so two birds with one stone.

I'm going to second this.  A filter/search system being added into the current mechanics would be the easiest and most effective.  You could have 2 "filters" the first would search for "WTS, WTT, WTB" and the second would be the name of the item you are looking for.  After pressing the confirm button only messages would show in the trade chat that have both criteria.

The way I see it the bazzar strictly exists for those who don't have a clan to go trade to.  I would like it if we as players could host our own shops some how.  But not like set it and forget it where it's controlled by the game in anyway.  I'm referring to the fact that i'd like to be baroketeer.  Meaning I could show up at a given public space and advertising what i'm selling and then leave when i'm done.  The bazzar is already kind of like this.

But the problem there is that it's only got one space unlike having several instances like other relays.  That and there isn't a reliable way to advertize to people not in the public space with you.  They could fix the first problem by creating several instances in the bazzar that way players can find you easier.  Not sure how they would do the second option.  Plus there is also the problem that you can only do so many trades per day anyway.  So even if the idea got off the ground you still wouldn't be able to trade with many people.

Anyway sorry for the rant.  The quoted is the best solution for the current trade problem.

Search filters and seperate tabs would help a little but then it would probably have to be policed. The most irritating thing about trade chat for me personally is the people who do a paragraph of WTS WTB WTT all together and it just chocs up the chat only to be repeated by someone else tryin to sell and buy 20 things at once.

Maybe some kinda cap on listings at one time or whatever.. perhaps thats just my irritation talking :)

ALSO - I refuse to trade with people who don't use a price in their "listings" - pricing should be transparent, and "listings" should require a price.. because no price is generally just people trying to suck in others by hoping for more than an item is worth from someone with no idea. This would keep traders honest, and competitive.

4 hours ago, Ranchpig said:

I know DE is aware that most people are a bit unhappy in one way or another with trade chat.    It's become just a mess.   It's not efficient. During peak play times its scrolling so fast, and now with all the added parts, it's just a clusterpuck.   I have so much stuff to sell but really don't like the hassle of trade chat or maroo's.   I do use a 3rd party website, but it's kinda sad that we don't have a better system in-game.

Can you all come up with some ideas that are an easy way for DE to transition to a better system.

Couple of my ideas:

1. If they're gonna leave it as is then seperate tabs for Mods, Warframes, Weapons, Misc - reduce the clutter

2. Maroo's bazzar:  a more line-item style.   Name - Part - Plat - WTB/WTS,  just scroll thru sortable tables and double click to chat or something like that.

Even if you LOVE the current system isn't there some way to improve it? 

This is my addition to it and i am 100% with ya OP the chat is shocking especially on console....

I believe i have figured out how to fairly do it within Warframe.

Edited by (PS4)Mofojokers

38 minutes ago, (XB1)ThermalStone said:

Trade chat is fine. Learn to read faster.  I would never use separate tabs or a filter because then I might miss other trade opportunities.  

That's why I'd prefer the filter option to separate tabs. If you don't want to use the filter, you don't have to.

Especially now with item linking in chat, you could filter on a linked item and avoid problems with spelling.

Just now, spatakiller123 said:

You know warframe's in game trade system is bad when a third-party website is far more effective at managing trading.

Not really, EVE's trading system was really good, but there were/are still third party sites that offer much more functionality.

Warframe isn't a trading simulator, it's not surprising that trading doesn't get the same attention as the combat system.

On 03/12/2016 at 9:07 PM, Ivan_Rid said:

Bad idea. Now only about 5-15% online players (or even less) are engaged in trading at the same time, yet with automated auction the whole playerbase, even those players who arent logged in, would try to dump all their spare items for plat. Imagine what happens with prices once the market gets this over saturated with wares.

I can see that now, oh well, with every good to a suggestion, there will always be a bad. :(

If anyhting, any feature that streamlines the trade and gets rid of the hustle to a degree is something I'm fine with, such as mandatory price listing alongside an item you're selling/buying at the very least.

On 12/3/2016 at 4:07 AM, Ivan_Rid said:

not mater what happens there is going to be a negitive on something that happens i just want to lesser ones the auction house to be the one that happens. buy the way the trading  right now is worse right now then it would be as a auction house. i just had an offer for a trade for my nova prime and someones valkyr prime and some plat and just when i was going to invite that person into dojo he declined the invite and ignored me for no apparent reasoning. lets just get this straight i am absolutely horrible at trades and stuff i always stumble around and bumble at my words when ever i get a offer at anything. 

if nothing changes then i will just ether give it to my friend or sell it for ducats. you people forget that there is new players coming into this game and while you don't have any problems with the way it is right now others tend to have that problem and is annoyed at it. there will still be people buying plat and there will be people still buying their stuff nothing will change. besides if an auction house was implemented who knows how de would have it  work. it could just be thouse put it in for a few days and only be the kind that you bid at. offering slightly more plat then the other one offered till you reach you limit