Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Latron Prime Vs Soma Prime

(PSN)King-with-a-K

Question

I see a lot of potential for my Soma Prime but i hear that Latron prime is one of the best primaries in the game? Im wondering which one i should invest my orokin catalysts and formas in. Idk which to choose. What are your peoples opinions? Does one flat out beat the other or are these two weapons side by side in terms of DPS?

22 answers to this question

All a thing of preferences, two weapons who work different ways.

Soma is more crit based thou and Latron, atleast Prime one, is more Status based, Wraith version is crit again.

Own opinion also, raw damge is not everything, the right stat can do more damge at times then the best crit against the right enemy with the right setup.

Edited by Marine027

6 minutes ago, bluepheonix13 said:

True.

Not true, they are sidegrades. Latron Wraith has a little more damage, but Latron Prime has status.

Latron Wraith has better damage, and is a more reliable weapon overall. It can be built for status or crit or straight up damage, where the Latron Prime is status or less damage than Wraith.

Get a good crit based Riven mod and you've got an insane weapon. My wraith is running 103% chance with 9.5x crit multiplier and it one shots level 50 grineer without any other buffs

18 minutes ago, Stormandreas said:

Latron Wraith has better damage, and is a more reliable weapon overall. It can be built for status or crit or straight up damage, where the Latron Prime is status or less damage than Wraith.

The damage is not much larger though. A pretty standard crit build (Serration, HeavyCal, VileAcc, SplitChamber, PointStrike, VitalSense, Primed Cryo, Stormbringer) gives you:

Burst DPS: 58k Wraith vs 51k Prime

Sustained DPS: 22.6k Wraith vs 22.4k Prime

Damage per shot: 5.9k Wraith vs 6.4k Prime

As you can see, the difference is not that great, especially when looking for sustained dps AND Prime wins in damage per shot, which I like. And it has that little bit more status.

Edit: Another note, if you don't like crit and are building for raw damage or status, Latron Prime also does more damage than Wraith.

Edited by bluepheonix13

Just now, bluepheonix13 said:

The damage is not much larger though. A pretty standard crit build (Serration, HeavyCal, VileAcc, SplitChamber, PointStrike, VitalSense, Primed Cryo, Stormbringer) gives you:

Burst DPS: 58k Wraith vs 51k Prime

Sustained DPS: 22.6k Wraith vs 22.4k Prime

Damage per shot: 5.9k Wraith vs 6.4k Prime

As you can see, the difference is not that great, especially when looking for sustained dps AND Prime wins in damage per shot, which I like. And it has that little bit more status.

That's your crit build? you're missing critical delay and hammer shot. You're not making the most of the crit stat with those mods.

Ontop of that, the build I'm referring to uses a Riven mod, that increases Crit chance and damage, while adding cold. I've gotten 900k damage out of my Wraith with it

Just now, Stormandreas said:

That's your crit build? you're missing critical delay and hammer shot. You're not making the most of the crit stat with those mods.

Critical Delay and Hammer Shot are pretty much trash and are only gonna decrease DPS, no matter which mod of mine you take out. Have you ever heard of warframe-builder.com? See for yourself, try replacing a mod with CD or HS:

Prime: https://goo.gl/5ePyqb

Wraith: https://goo.gl/R8RVuK

Just now, Stormandreas said:

Ontop of that, the build I'm referring to uses a Riven mod, that increases Crit chance and damage, while adding cold. I've gotten 900k damage out of my Wraith with it

Yes, but I did not include Rivens, because they are way too difficult to predict and compare against one another. A pure crit riven will benefit the Wraith more, while a damage focused riven will benefit Prime more (because Prime has higher base damage).

7 hours ago, Stormandreas said:

Hammer Shot and Critical Delay are not only bad, but have been completely outclassed by Argon Scope and Bladed Rounds.

10 hours ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Soma Prime beats Latron Prime with a Stick.

Latron Wraith also beats Latron Prime with a stick.

No and no. If I am to say which one can bring down single targets faster, then Latron P can definitely do it faster than Soma P (and it certainly won't take hundreds of bullets). Sure, Soma is better for crowds, but like this you can't say loud and clear that it "beats it with a stick".

Should I also mention that Latron has clear superiority when it comes to Rivens? With the proper one, there won't even be a contest in raw damage.

Also, regarding Latron Wraith, I have used them both on the field full powered, and the differences are not nearly as noticeable as you make them appear. And sure enough, how could they be? Latron Wraith has significantly more crit to be sure, but Latron P has significantly more damage. One is not clearly better than the other.

Edited by -BM-Leonhart

9 hours ago, Stormandreas said:

1 hour ago, Rambit23Z said:

Hammer Shot and Critical Delay are not only bad, but have been completely outclassed by Argon Scope and Bladed Rounds.

Also, if you do not have Argon Scope or Bladed Rounds, just go for the normal 2 crit mods and just elementals, or maybe other support mods. Investing on tiny amounts of crits and halving the base damage in the process is nothing short of folly.

People sure like to overblown the difference of Latron Prime and Wraith. Disregard of what the numbers tells you, with the same build the difference between them is just 1-2 shots. Sometimes Latron Prime need 1 less shots to kill because it crits often and deal more damage, sometimes it needs more shots to kill because it crits less. Their overall time to kill are pretty much the same. The difference won't reach a point where one will need an entire magazine to kill an enemy, while the other will only need 4-6 shots.

23 hours ago, Rekkou said:

People sure like to overblown the difference of Latron Prime and Wraith. Disregard of what the numbers tells you, with the same build the difference between them is just 1-2 shots. Sometimes Latron Prime need 1 less shots to kill because it crits often and deal more damage, sometimes it needs more shots to kill because it crits less. Their overall time to kill are pretty much the same. The difference won't reach a point where one will need an entire magazine to kill an enemy, while the other will only need 4-6 shots.

Yeah, they are side grades, much like how Hek and V Hek do their damage.

I haven't maxed out my Latron Prime yet but a properly modded 3 forma Soma Prime is a monster. Even compared to a 6 forma Braton Prime. In this case the Some is focused on crit while the Braton focus on status. They both require 80ish shots to kill a level 105 heavy gunner but for the Soma that is less than half a mag and with a fire rate of 19.5. For the Braton that requires a reload and it got a fire rate of 12.46.

Edited by Golmihr

Number crunching speaking the latron wraith/prime are flat out better than the soma prime becouse of riven disposition, simple as that, practically speaking the soma prime is simply much easier/less annoying to use than the latron prime and it's going to chew trought lvl 80-100 enemies with relative ease all the same.

Edited by bl4ckhunter

While I always hear about the Soma Prime being stellar--and do own a potato'd and multi-forma'd version--I've never actually enjoyed using it much.

The Soma series has always sounded like a rapid-fire peashooter, is pretty bad against object-based health (which kind of matters when you want to destroy Ramparts around a defense objective), and it has a somewhat uncomfortable level of unpredictable recoil with Shred; this, in turn, makes actually garnering headshots somewhat of a chore compared to the point->shoot->re-aim style of the Sybaris/Stradavar/Latrons and even the Supra and Prisma Gorgon, which both have more controllable vertical recoil at a massive cost to damage output.

To be honest, I'd much rather have a dedicated shotgun and/or crowd control weapon in most cases. I find the Kohm to actually scale better with a corrosive or slash/viral build, especially with R6-8 Tainted Shell and Speed Trigger to give it far more practical close-range damage (and dismemberment for you Nekroses out there) while still preserving accuracy at longer ranges. Both Sancti Tigris/Tigris Prime and Vaykor Hek also feel far better to fire, have better ammo economy, can deal with crowds without swallowing most of their ammo pool, and generally end up doing more damage in both burst and the long term.

There's also pretty powerful but underused stuff like the Lanka that make short work of anything you point it at, with great ammo economy, and the Dex Sybaris, which is an anniversary weapon that is given away for free, also has great ammo economy, sounds and looks much cooler than the Soma Prime in my opinion, and is also much, much stronger in both burst and sustained damage output than most other rifles in the game. There's a lot of other strong primaries to choose from that work as good or better these days.

Soma Prime easily has way more DPS with crit and it's fire rate combined with it's magazine makes it very easy to proc status whether you mod for it or not. 

Hit scan, 3 times the fire rate, massive magazine, full automatic weapon, high crit chance critical chance, the Soma Prime is objectively stronger. I doubt even with a Riven the latron could surpass it