The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can a good Riven fix a bad weapon, and is it worth the time to find out

_Vortus_

You get a Riven for a bad weapon or one you don't like, will it EVER be good enough to use in an endless mission?   Unless RNG really likes you, are you willing to spend 20 rolls on a riven for one that "might", might is a huge word in this case,  make it a good weapon.  Ten rolls is 19950 Kuva, 20 is 54950 Kuva. If you don't have a "perfect" roll by this time, you have invested up to 88 (thats upwards of 9+ hours assuming 6m per speed run, most take longer) runs in that Riven just for the Kuva to roll it.  Would it be useable at that point?    Likely not.    Now, I know Rivens are not supposed to make them great, but some its not fixing at all.    But, after 2 Harpaks, a Paracyst and today a Panthera, getting a little tired of the system.   Alot of mediocre or even some might say bad weapons in the game, but at least some are fun.    But these... not sure when i pissed in rng's wheaties but damn, this is getting annoying.   Invested a bunch of forma in things like the Glaxion, Dual Cestras (both versions), AkBolto (both versions, even bought normal for plat when new), Gorgon (all three versions).   Substandard weapons but they were fun.    Worth it to me to spend time on.  Love to get rivens for them to improve them.    Recently got an Aklex riven, going to spend time on that and see.   But there are weapons that a Riven just cannot currently fix.  

Currently sitting at 8 rivens, tossed the panthera among others.   The 8 I have are now between 10 and 20 rolls. Worst being my Burston, sitting at 20 and still crap.  Kinda of a vendaetta to see how many rolls it takes to actually get good.   I do have a booster on most of the time I run Kuva.  Of course a booster cuts the time, but still, thats an additional investment in a bad piece of property for unfixable weapons.    DE, please look at the system again asap.     As is, don't think they are working as intended.

Ranty, yeah, but after those Rivens you might be too.    Would of rather got endo or even a lens.

that's for each player to find out, if they have a favorite weapon and their willingness to find/reroll as much to make it good again.

also 88 runs for 54950 kuva seems a little stretched out, go use a smeeta and a booster or if youre playing with other people, hope that they have smeetas too, since it all adds up, i have seen 9k in a single run from someone too

4 minutes ago, -Mandalorian-Tenno- said:

that's for each player to find out, if they have a favorite weapon and their willingness to find/reroll as much to make it good again.

also 88 runs for 54950 kuva seems a little stretched out, go use a smeeta and a booster or if youre playing with other people, hope that they have smeetas too, since it all adds up, i have seen 9k in a single run from someone too

Smeeta Kavats can boost the amount of Kuva you get? Never knew that.

I think Rivens as a measuyre to make weapons and builds distinctive from each other is a good thing.

Equal in different ways should be the goal imo.

Rivens to fix underperformers? I used to think this was an acceptable notion but very much so disagree with it now after extra thought.

Rivens as a solution for this adds insult to injury because a player chooses to play what they like as opposed to what works best.

It's an option... that's more than we had before, but it's a rather mean one when you stop to think about it.

They nerf stuff because it's over used by players.

...Why not buff things that are underused for the same reason?

Sicarus Prime comes to mind.

1 minute ago, -Mandalorian-Tenno- said:

Thats kinda my point.  I have played all of them cept the Hema.   I kept ones that were fun, good ones, and primes, regardless of being good or not.   The Burston is at 20 rolls now, the riven is mediocre at best and even if it were good, the weapon itself is still mediocre.    The math is based on 625 kuva per run.    88 is correct, the time I think will be significantly longer than I said though.   Of course you can buy a booster and cut it in half, which i do, and run a smeeta if you like cats, which I do not.   Even with a booster, 44ish runs and a minimum of 4.5 hours.   But, thats 1 Riven at 20 rolls.   Minimum so far is 10 and none are perfect.

4 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Well, a Riven won't redeem your normal Latron or the regular Braton, but it can make weapons that most people wouldn't consider such as the Stradavar much more used.

The weapons you listed have issues of their own, and no Riven will fix that I believe.

Exactly.  

I say no since riven just come down bandaids. The actual improvements that could improve weaker weapons or tone down meta weapons are by altering the base stats like DE have been doing with sicarus pirme.

I don't see them as unique changes to weapons ether we have augments from factions, index/rathuum that could change the play style of a weapon rivens are just buff to base stats of weapons.

Rivens can make some weapons more viable not all because things like Harpak need an actual update.

It's just a bandaid until they can properly look at weapons. Not a bad thing I've been enjoying some weapons i normally wouldn't. But i wouldn't take them on anything seriously.

Looking foward to getting a Tigres Prime Riven.😈

Whether a weapon could be good or not is trivial if you don't actually like it to begin with. The only "meh" weapon I really cared to beef was a prisma gorgon. With 165% impact and 120% multishot, it more than gets the job done. The infinite stunlock and corrosive armor strip (over 22% status on prisma is alright) and it performs well vs any faction or level. For those few enemies impact corro doesn't cut it... well, that's why I have a viral akstil prime now isn't it. ;p

The thing I find most confusing about Rivens is that their reason to exist came from "some weapons are supposed to be inferior, and we can't go back reworking every single thing"....

... and then they improved the stats of an unused underperforming 3 year old weapon by just adding a few numbers to the Sicarus Prime....

4 minutes ago, Jakorak said:

Time and effort and platinum black hole

I'm now more inclined to this train of thought.

a good riven can always IMPROVE a bad weapon.  Whether it brings said weapon up to high tier level, say sortie viable, is up for debate.

Based on personal experience I'd say the chance of getting up to 20 rolls and not get good stats is pretty low; starting from roll zero I can usually settle by the time it gets to roll 7.

Keep this in mind though:

Math is math, after roll #10 where the kuva cost is capped at 3500, there is basically no difference in rolling 11 to 20 vs 21 to 30.  If you give up on rolling just make sure your reason is due to the 3500 cost per roll and not the fact that it got to 20.  You can buy another riven with lower roll number for the same gun to start again.

59 minutes ago, CaptainDavian said:

Glaxion...

finished my Glaxion build today, and while it isn't the greatest gun in the world, it's still fun for low levels. I've got the reload down to less than a second, and Combustion beam is always fun.

Rivens can only fix so much, and it's all down to random stats, so there's little they can offer than a base stat buff cannot. I only keep them for non-meta weapons anyway.

2 hours ago, _Vortus_ said:

You get a Riven for a bad weapon or one you don't like, will it EVER be good enough to use in an endless mission?   Unless RNG really likes you, are you willing to spend 20 rolls on a riven for one that "might", might is a huge word in this case,  make it a good weapon.  Ten rolls is 19950 Kuva, 20 is 54950 Kuva. If you don't have a "perfect" roll by this time, you have invested up to 88 (thats upwards of 9+ hours assuming 6m per speed run, most take longer) runs in that Riven just for the Kuva to roll it.  Would it be useable at that point?    Likely not.    Now, I know Rivens are not supposed to make them great, but some its not fixing at all.    But, after 2 Harpaks, a Paracyst and today a Panthera, getting a little tired of the system.   Alot of mediocre or even some might say bad weapons in the game, but at least some are fun.    But these... not sure when i pissed in rng's wheaties but damn, this is getting annoying.   Invested a bunch of forma in things like the Glaxion, Dual Cestras (both versions), AkBolto (both versions, even bought normal for plat when new), Gorgon (all three versions).   Substandard weapons but they were fun.    Worth it to me to spend time on.  Love to get rivens for them to improve them.    Recently got an Aklex riven, going to spend time on that and see.   But there are weapons that a Riven just cannot currently fix.  

Currently sitting at 8 rivens, tossed the panthera among others.   The 8 I have are now between 10 and 20 rolls. Worst being my Burston, sitting at 20 and still crap.  Kinda of a vendaetta to see how many rolls it takes to actually get good.   I do have a booster on most of the time I run Kuva.  Of course a booster cuts the time, but still, thats an additional investment in a bad piece of property for unfixable weapons.    DE, please look at the system again asap.     As is, don't think they are working as intended.

Ranty, yeah, but after those Rivens you might be too.    Would of rather got endo or even a lens.

I'm waiting for the disposition boost for least used weapons to hit consoles and I'm in the process of forma'ing a Harpak, Panthera, and Daikyu to contribute to the community with some legitimate play-test results.

I'll be testing DE's claim that Riven Disposition is designed to make 2nd and 3rd tier weapons viable do that you can have a fulfilling gameplay experience with variety and choice.

Why those 3 weapons?

The specialized concept for each weapon is tremendous, but for whatever reason, be it alleged design flaws, damage make-up/stats, or bugs, players consider them ineffective and/or useless beyond "novelty" status.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a legit sniper-howitzer status bow?

A legit, working Harpoon cannon?

A blade saw machine gun that fat outclasses the Miter?

If Rivens deliver on this promise (if not now, eventually) then I see them as a legitimate edition to the game.

3 hours ago, FAZZWARFRAME said:

a good riven can always IMPROVE a bad weapon.  Whether it brings said weapon up to high tier level, say sortie viable, is up for debate.

Based on personal experience I'd say the chance of getting up to 20 rolls and not get good stats is pretty low; starting from roll zero I can usually settle by the time it gets to roll 7.

Keep this in mind though:

Math is math, after roll #10 where the kuva cost is capped at 3500, there is basically no difference in rolling 11 to 20 vs 21 to 30.  If you give up on rolling just make sure your reason is due to the 3500 cost per roll and not the fact that it got to 20.  You can buy another riven with lower roll number for the same gun to start again.

True, they can improve some of the raw stats, but polish a turd, its still a turd.   Its a huge difference as with no booster, it can take 6ish runs per roll.     Now, you can buy another like you said with a lower roll count.   But, now you have plat invested along with those hours and very low chances at a good set of stats.    Not risking plat on a weapon I already don't care much for,   Nor will I bother wasting time anymore on those same weapons.    Rivens simply are not worth the investment for weapons that are garbage.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

I'm waiting for the disposition boost for least used weapons to hit consoles and I'm in the process of forma'ing a Harpak, Panthera, and Daikyu to contribute to the community with some legitimate play-test results.

I'll be testing DE's claim that Riven Disposition is designed to make 2nd and 3rd tier weapons viable do that you can have a fulfilling gameplay experience with variety and choice.

Why those 3 weapons?

The specialized concept for each weapon is tremendous, but for whatever reason, be it alleged design flaws, damage make-up/stats, or bugs, players consider them ineffective and/or useless beyond "novelty" status.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a legit sniper-howitzer status bow?

A legit, working Harpoon cannon?

A blade saw machine gun that fat outclasses the Miter?

If Rivens deliver on this promise (if not now, eventually) then I see them as a legitimate edition to the game.

Well, the Harpak itself is clunky and difficult to use.   Stacked on a bad burston.    Panthera, another good idea implemented badly.   Miter made worse.   Daikyu, now Rivens can be a saving grace for them.  If you are lucky.  The first two could be great, but need reworks.   Maybe you will like them though.    I see others don't like the Glaxion, but I think its fun.

The issue with "bad" weapons is that most of the time there is something better than them available. Sure a Riven mod will make their stats better, but those mods can't fix a weapons innate clunkiness, or change the fact that the better weapons also have rivens that make them that much better.

So yes, while they can make bad weapons usable, they can't make them good.

Some bad weapons are so hopeless that even a "broken" riven mod is not enough. However, there are quite a few underused weapons can be boosted to top tier with a proper riven mod. It's up to you to find them. That's one of the reasons I find riven mods interesting.