Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best melee weapon for solo ODS?

Sir_Alex_Traffo

Question

So, I'm running a lot of solo ODS recently, just to take a break from clan ODD(:shocked:) and I'm wondering what melee weapon would be best for the run.

I'm currently going with Atterax, pure slash crit/status hybrid build; it's ok, I think it carries me well but I don't like whips at all so despite being quite efficent I don't enjoy using it.

Do you think there are better options? If so, how builded?

Mind me, efficency is the main feature required here, so if it turns out that Atterax is the best I'd stick to that even if I hate it.

1 minute ago, Autongnosis said:

Try an Orthos Prime (maybe also with a slide build), the Mios, or a top-of-the-pack Heavy Blade (War / Galatine Prime).

Orthos Prime intrigues me to be honest, as it has a huge range and I simply love the weapon; do you think it could carry me long enough? Like 60+ minutes? 

If so, pure Slash? Gas combo instead?

Rather depends on the frame. To get carried far, your best bet is to go with the slide attack crit stacking build. It is serviceable up to around 80mins if i remember it correctly without a damage amp. I run it with Nekros so... Then again you can also stack Naramon on top of that to make it even more powerful.
The build looks something like this:

• Primed Pressure Point
  • Primed Reach
  • Body Count / Drifting Contact
  • Blood Rush
  • 2* 90% elementals
  • Organ Shatter
  • Maiming Strike

I'd suggest going for pure Corrosive though, unless you blind stuff in which case Gas is better.

Edited by Autongnosis

11 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

Rather depends on the frame. To get carried far, your best bet is to go with the slide attack crit stacking build. It is serviceable up to around 80mins if i remember it correctly without a damage amp. I run it with Nekros so... Then again you can also stack Naramon on top of that to make it even more powerful.
The build looks something like this:

• Primed Pressure Point
  • Primed Reach
  • Body Count / Drifting Contact
  • Blood Rush
  • 2* 90% elementals
  • Organ Shatter
  • Maiming Strike

I'd suggest going for pure Corrosive though, unless you blind stuff in which case Gas is better.

Status chance is not so great tho, is it? I mean, Corrosive or even Gas won't proc that much I guess..

As for the frame, I run solo ODS with Nekros.

I use crit/status hybrid Mios for this with weeping wounds. No matter how long or how high level it will be, slash proc will kill anything with similar speed. Also genius Ancient Healer killer, as it soaks all status from every infested in the range. Mios sweeps quite large area.

9 minutes ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

Status chance is not so great tho, is it? I mean, Corrosive or even Gas won't proc that much I guess..

As for the frame, I run solo ODS with Nekros.

I mean, status on Infested is not exactly stellar* other than Radiation for turning off ancient's auras and Viral for the halved HP. Viral is a decent one but suffers resistances from standard Infested and thus wouldn't be great for dispatching those pesky lv 120+ energy leech eximi you'll see at 60+ mins. Radiation instead is good only for the proc, since it deals 75% less damage to all fossil (which means all ancients, MOAs, mutalist ospreys etc).

My advice is to run the Orthos with Corrosive and use either a slide build of a zerker build (basically the zerker build is the build i wrote above with berzerker in place of maiming strike) and run it in quick-melee, using an Ignis modded for rad-viral and max status to get both the damage amp from Viral procs and the light CC / aura removal from Radiation procs.

*unless you use Gas/Bleed DoT and blind / knockdown spam that is

EDIT: another really efficient one is the Zenistar modded for corrosive+blast, tho it requires you to be camping really hard.

Edited by Autongnosis

1 minute ago, Autongnosis said:

I mean, status on Infested is not exactly stellar* other than Radiation for turning off ancient's auras and Viral for the halved HP. Viral is a decent one but suffers resistances from standard Infested and thus wouldn't be great for dispatching those pesky lv 120+ energy leech eximi you'll see at 60+ mins. Radiation instead is good only for the proc, since it deals 75% less damage to all fossil (which means all ancients, MOAs, mutalist ospreys etc).

My advice is to run the Orthos with Corrosive and use either a slide build of a zerker build (basically the zerker build is the build i wrote above with berzerker in place of maiming strike) and run it in quick-melee, using an Ignis modded for rad-viral and max status to get both the damage amp from Viral procs and the light CC / aura removal from Radiation procs.

*unless you use Gas/Bleed DoT and blind / knockdown spam that is

So Corrosive just for the damage % boost, not for the actual proc, I see.

I'll try things out, thank you!

26 minutes ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

Orthos Prime intrigues me to be honest, as it has a huge range and I simply love the weapon; do you think it could carry me long enough? Like 60+ minutes? 

If so, pure Slash? Gas combo instead?

I would suggest corrosive or viral + slash for infested, gas can be a bit wonky.. Since the proc is a toxin AOE.  But it will stack like Slash.

I've been murder raping kuva flood baddies lvl 80+ any faction with my Lesion and Hirudo as of late.  But the Orthos Prime was my bae for a long time, maybe it's time to dust her off :)

The new Ohma with the new stance and a crit/status Gas/Electric build paired with naramon is a bit overpowered. The only place it might suffer is vs. the Toxic Ancients, but the electric damage should be enough to clear them. I run Primed Pressure Point, Primed Reach, Primed Fury (or berserker), weeping wounds, blood rush, drifting contact, Fire 60%/60% and Toxin 90%. Combine with Shadow Step and Deadly Intent (I think that's the name) from naramon. Works great with a Nekros for max drops or a Resonance Banshee/Speedva for maximum mission time.

PS: which is the other faction in ODS? Because I know that the Corpus have capture and the Grineer have exterm and sabotage, but I can't recall who is in the survival.

9 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

PS: which is the other faction in ODS? Because I know that the Corpus have capture and the Grineer have exterm and sabotage, but I can't recall who is in the survival.

Infested only, like Defence.

Well, technically Corrupted if you're so crazy as to open a Vault mid-mission.

To add to the question, what frame do you propose? I do not consider myself very experienced, so I tend to go with Rhino for the iron skin, but not sure if it is efficient.

Also, for the orthos build shown above, would it be viable if I switched maiming strike with berseker? (don't own maiming strike). I have blood rush, but still unlucky with the drifting contact (working on it)... Would relentless combination be a good fit for that build? And with what sacrifice? Or life strike could be added?

Just now, ultragen said:

To add to the question, what frame do you propose? I do not consider myself very experienced, so I tend to go with Rhino for the iron skin, but not sure if it is efficient.

Also, for the orthos build shown above, would it be viable if I switched maiming strike with berseker? (don't own maiming strike). I have blood rush, but still unlucky with the drifting contact (working on it)... Would relentless combination be a good fit for that build? And with what sacrifice? Or life strike could be added?

If you're farming Mutagen Samples, there's no better option than Nekros and with Naramon you can go ideally forever as long as the melee will support you.

My Orthos currently have Berserker but not Maiming Strike as I just formaed it and it works just fine; I also have Blood Rush on it, but of the base crit chance is quite low so don't expect permacrit until x5 multiplier.

Not sure about Relentless Combination but I'd say no to be honest, status chance is only 15% and despite the very high speed you won't proc that much.

1 hour ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

If you're farming Mutagen Samples, there's no better option than Nekros and with Naramon you can go ideally forever as long as the melee will support you.

As a heads up though i would personally avoid Naramon for solo farming because after a bit of testing i noticed that being permanently invisible tends to cut down the spawn rate, and thus your kill rate, by quite a significant margin.

For solo Nekros farming i run a Despoil + Health Conversion + Quick Thinking build that can take about 80mins of ODS before the infested damage gets too high without using Naramon.

The build is: Cunning Drift in the exilus, then Overextended, Equilibrium, Despoil, Health Conversion, Quick Thinking, Streamline, Transient Fortitude and Creeping Terrify. Enough EHPs to tank and Creeping for CC when S#&$ hits the fan.

33 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

As a heads up though i would personally avoid Naramon for solo farming because after a bit of testing i noticed that being permanently invisible tends to cut down the spawn rate, and thus your kill rate, by quite a significant margin.

For solo Nekros farming i run a Despoil + Health Conversion + Quick Thinking build that can take about 80mins of ODS before the infested damage gets too high without using Naramon.

The build is: Cunning Drift in the exilus, then Overextended, Equilibrium, Despoil, Health Conversion, Quick Thinking, Streamline, Transient Fortitude and Creeping Terrify. Enough EHPs to tank and Creeping for CC when S#&$ hits the fan.

Will definitely try your build; no Vitality tho?

As for Naramon, I tend to activate it past 40 minutes, just to not be targeted by those toxic stuff all the time!

Edited by Sir_Alex_Traffo

19 minutes ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

Will definitely try your build; no Vitality tho?

As for Naramon, I tend to activate it past 40 minutes, just to not be targeted by those toxic stuff all the time!

Not really needed, with equilibrium and the amount of close kills and orbs you get you can basically self sustain :)

5 hours ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

With Primed mods and keeping the combo counter up, yeah Orthos P will do it but keeping up the combo counter is really important until you decide to kick off Naramon. The polearm full melee combos are mostly terrible once the novelty of the overhead spins wears off :p I only use mine if I'm doing a shorter run and keep it to quick melee (the best part of Shimmering Blight IMO). For longer runs I go Galatine/Tempo Royale. Prefer Viral+Slash for infested but that's just me.

2 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

Not really needed, with equilibrium and the amount of close kills and orbs you get you can basically self sustain :)

Just tried the build, pretty awesome! Only thing I'd change is Handspring in instead of Transient Fortitude, getting grabbed in ODS can be quite a pain after a while.

And maybe Vitality can still be an option to keep the Kavat alive as much as possible, I noticed it started to die fairly often past 30 minutes.

Also, I have to get used to check Desecrate from time to time as Quick Thinking apparently deactivates it when it triggers.

Edited by Sir_Alex_Traffo