Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which Are the Best Melee Weapons?

DEATHLOK

Question

A friend was telling me how amazing the Lesion is, but then I learn that its hitbox is smaller than the weapon model itself, which gives the weapon a rather limited range. Small range can be overlooked in fast weapons, but not big, slow weapons. I end up doubting my friend's advice to max out the Lesion.

Now I turn to you, because I'd rather hear from the community which weapons are worth investing several Forma than hear it from someone on YouTube who is more worried about view counts than what counts.

What are the best melee weapons in the game, the ones worth resetting several times?

My own, short list includes:

• Atterax
  • Broken War
  • Dark Dagger
  • Dual Ichor
  • Dual Zoren
  • Fragor Prime
  • Galantine Prime
  • Heliocor
  • Jat Kittag
  • Mios
  • Nikana Prime
  • Scindo Prime
  • Telos Boltace
  • Zenistar

There are Syndicate weapons I'm not familiar with, and I'm always looking for someone who will trade The Perrin Sequence, Red Veil, and New Loka gear for Cephalon Suda, Arbiters of Hexus, and Steel Meridian gear.

There are some Prisma weapons I've not yet had the chance to buy.

22 answers to this question

Dual Zoren and Scindo Prime have fallen victim to power creep if you're looking for the objective best. Dark Dagger is terrible, and even the Rakta version is so-so

11 minutes ago, DEATHLOK said:

I end up doubting my friend's advice to max out the Lesion.

I know it's counter-intuitive, but the Lesion really is that good if you like polearms. Base 30% proc chance, and upon landing a proc it deals DOUBLE damage for the next six seconds, beating out even the Galatine P for base damage during that time

Edited by TARINunit9

All those listed are well worth forma, but Dual Zoren could be swapped to Prisma Dual Cleavers because the cleavers are basically a better version and can use Justice Blades.

Dark Dagger, being a dagger, is actually fairly weak for anything outside of stealth or Inaros, so you probably won't forma that simply because it doesn't need it. 

Lesion is powerful, as well. Easily end-game-tier and more than capable of shredding through armor, as well as proccing slash for days. It's an incredible weapon and I do recommend it. Not as slow as it seems, either. 

5 minutes ago, Aurea_Hiigara said:

Redeemer and the relatively new Sarah (or something similar to that, can never remember)

Serro

And yeah, Serro's bullet damages are freaking amazing, I caught a lvl 30 no-potato dealing several thousand damage per bullet, with five bullets per shot

Here comes my own, personal opinion, as I've had them all already:

Atterax - fun, cruel tool. Requires Primed Reach and Berserker to reach its potential, but as all whips it strikes horizontally, so you can reach many enemies at once even without slide attacks. Slash-based whip good for infestation and the majority of flesh enemies.

Broken War - a very powerful single sword you can get from finishing The Second Dream. Comparable in style to Dakra Prime or Prisma Skana - decent all-rounder with some serious damage and variety of attacks (Horizontal, vertical etc). Also slash-based. Range and attacks speed are medicore, though.

Dark Dagger - requiring the syndicate mod to reach the potential, suffers the same fate as all daggers in this game - low range and comparably low damage renders it weaker than most weapons, but can use Covert Lethality. I personally have Rakta version just for Ash's Teleport combo and very long static missions (camping survivals, defenses etc) just to take out single, very heavy targets in one strike. This one's pure radiation damage - and syndicate mod giving some proc - can also be used against many eximus enemies to mess with their aura, although it's not adviced.

Dual Ichor - I remember some good times with this funny, sword-like set of twin axes. High critical ratio and pure toxin damage open up for possibilities. Quite a weapon, Berserker mod required for maximum fun. I just didn't like the angles and lack of variety of normal quick melee attacks.

Dual Zoren - the famous axes got themselves into the name of long-forgotten once-viable now-obsolete way of transportation (Zorencoptering) when they were able to launch you veeeery far forward on slide attack. Pretty much a physical, faster but weaker version of Ichors.

Fragor Prime - It's hammer time! Big, slow and brutal - if it's your style, go for it. Above average range on slide attacks helps with getting through a cluster of enemies in a tight coridor. Too bad its speed kills the fun (for me, remember that these are just subjective opinions). 

Galatine Prime - the overpower in a form of a sword bigger than a warframe itself. We waited and requested this to be Primed for very, very long time, and with its incredible 160 base damage (And slash-oriented too) it just smashed itself into our faces, beating even the feared and much demanded War. Great range, slow attack speed, critical viability and monstrous damage. Best used to fight with it equipped instead of quick melee attacks. Works wonders with the coinditional mods ( +x critical chance stacking with combo combo and such). Also viable for quick melee, but with different build then, of course. Broken Bull (Cleaving Whirlwind's stance combo) is so broken with this one... so it breaks me.

Heliocor - super slow camera that you slam against your foe's face to make a photo of it. Obsolete to Synoid Heliocor.

Jaaat... KITTAG! - the personal aviation tutor for your enemies! This mace works wonders, its decent range, nice damage and the ability to teach each enemy how to fly in one, pleasant slam makes up for a fun time weapon. Good CC and status as well. Now with 20% more hilarity and its very own Kela the Thaym mod available. But hey, what less can you expect from a jet engine mounted on a stick?

Mios  - the sword/whip combo we asked for and we got. Awesome style and idea. Not my personal favourite because of the varying range (Whip portion hits from very afar, sword lacks the range), but it's just awesome in its style.

Nikana Prime - the one that threw the Dragonika (Dragon Nikana) off the throne. Different striking styles depending on the stance used (Even the quick attacks), nice damage, above average critical profile and status - and that cometic sheath that clips through most warframes but is awesome anyways! My personal favourite when it comes to single-target quick assasinations if I'm not planning on stunning the target and using a dagger. This beast has enough power to be a viable endgame gear.

Scindo Prime - a step towards overpower, overshadowed by Galatine Prime. A faster - and slashier - version of Fragor Prime. A really good weapon, just not my style really

Telos Boltace - When you want to talk damage, speed and incredible range, you talk about Telos Boltace. This weapon is made for spin attacks - they have incredible range, uncomparable to anything else, procs a slash whenever they hit something from a spin attack (despite being a puncture-based weapon), very fast attack speed and horrendous damage. There are only two conditions - first: spin to win. Spin attack is what you want to do on these. Second: to be awesome, it must be equipped, not just quick-melee'd. Maiming Strike and Berserker does wonders on it.

Zenistar - a star when equipped, this disc launching melee is similar to Jat Kittag or Fragor in damage, but deals pure Heat Damage, which can open up to some serious possibilities. The most fun, however, is the disc ejecting on charged attacks, which can act as a temporary damage-over-time mine, changing the damage type and attacks speed of the weapon, however. Slam a Primed Reach and see if it suits you. Have to be equipped to shine really.

From other, not mentioned here weapons, I can add my personal and subjective favourites too.

Orthos Prime - I'm a kind of player that spin-attack alot and I like the weapon to have alot of range without the need to be quipped - and this one does it just fine. Extreme range with Primed Reach (Although not as long as Telos Boltace), Maiming Strike compatibility and the looks of the non-primed version (I use Forest Camo skin, I don't really like the primed look), it's always been my fav style in many games (Zhens from Rohan, anyone?). Good for just getting into a ground of enemies and leaving as the only one alive. Falls off on higher levels, though.

Glaive Prime - it's truly a love or hate weapon. In my case - it's the first one. Clip depleted and the ancient has just a tiny portion of HP left? Throw the Glaive! Enemy patrolling the corridor, trying his best to not lose his head? Throw the glaive! Have a Mirage and want the mayhem to begin? Throw the Glaive! Want to kill yourself? Throw the Glaive Under Your Feet! While not being as powerful as other melees - and not having as much utility as other thrown melees - it's still a fun weapon with a style. Astral Twilight's combos are just beautiful.

Hirudo- when you just need health. Great synergy with all the health-losing frames and if you don't use melee too often. Also murderous ground finishers. And hey, if you turn your elemental effects on and visibility of melee when unused, you can play and have your hands and feet on fire! (Or other element of your choice, careful with Gas though - it can shroud the view with certain main weapons aiming.)

Secura Lecta - After all this years we finally know the true name of Capitalism. If you need money, just equip it and go on. Great range, decent damage (And pure elemental) horizontal attacks, decent status chance, just equip, introduce it to the space trade center and just enjoy throwing it into a serious recession.

And the most important thing I repeat whenever someone asks for a good weapon: Remember that the best weapon for you is the one you like. It all depends on playstyle. There's some magic in it, when you wield your favourite melee, you strike safer, more accurate and more efficently. There are some powerful weapons - like Sciondo Prime, Fragor Prime, Broken War, Zenistar etc - that are just not my style and, although I know they're powerful as hell, I can't really make them reach their full potential, while I can get surprisingly large amount of kills with, let's say, Glaive Prime. Use what you just like to use and you'll see you'll somehow get a bonus to morale and survivability. It's a kind of magic.

My favourites are clearly Galatine and Jat Kittag (for obvious reasons), with honourable mentioning of War and Heliocor (shiny!) and Secura Lanca,  because of vicious whipping and because of

On 2017-2-5 at 5:30 PM, Fenicis said:

Here comes my own, personal opinion, as I've had them all already:

Atterax - fun, cruel tool. Requires Primed Reach and Berserker to reach its potential, but as all whips it strikes horizontally, so you can reach many enemies at once even without slide attacks. Slash-based whip good for infestation and the majority of flesh enemies.

Broken War - a very powerful single sword you can get from finishing The Second Dream. Comparable in style to Dakra Prime or Prisma Skana - decent all-rounder with some serious damage and variety of attacks (Horizontal, vertical etc). Also slash-based. Range and attacks speed are medicore, though.

Dark Dagger - requiring the syndicate mod to reach the potential, suffers the same fate as all daggers in this game - low range and comparably low damage renders it weaker than most weapons, but can use Covert Lethality. I personally have Rakta version just for Ash's Teleport combo and very long static missions (camping survivals, defenses etc) just to take out single, very heavy targets in one strike. This one's pure radiation damage - and syndicate mod giving some proc - can also be used against many eximus enemies to mess with their aura, although it's not adviced.

Dual Ichor - I remember some good times with this funny, sword-like set of twin axes. High critical ratio and pure toxin damage open up for possibilities. Quite a weapon, Berserker mod required for maximum fun. I just didn't like the angles and lack of variety of normal quick melee attacks.

Dual Zoren - the famous axes got themselves into the name of long-forgotten once-viable now-obsolete way of transportation (Zorencoptering) when they were able to launch you veeeery far forward on slide attack. Pretty much a physical, faster but weaker version of Ichors.

Fragor Prime - It's hammer time! Big, slow and brutal - if it's your style, go for it. Above average range on slide attacks helps with getting through a cluster of enemies in a tight coridor. Too bad its speed kills the fun (for me, remember that these are just subjective opinions). 

Galatine Prime - the overpower in a form of a sword bigger than a warframe itself. We waited and requested this to be Primed for very, very long time, and with its incredible 160 base damage (And slash-oriented too) it just smashed itself into our faces, beating even the feared and much demanded War. Great range, slow attack speed, critical viability and monstrous damage. Best used to fight with it equipped instead of quick melee attacks. Works wonders with the coinditional mods ( +x critical chance stacking with combo combo and such). Also viable for quick melee, but with different build then, of course. Broken Bull (Cleaving Whirlwind's stance combo) is so broken with this one... so it breaks me.

Heliocor - super slow camera that you slam against your foe's face to make a photo of it. Obsolete to Synoid Heliocor.

Jaaat... KITTAG! - the personal aviation tutor for your enemies! This mace works wonders, its decent range, nice damage and the ability to teach each enemy how to fly in one, pleasant slam makes up for a fun time weapon. Good CC and status as well. Now with 20% more hilarity and its very own Kela the Thaym mod available. But hey, what less can you expect from a jet engine mounted on a stick?

Mios  - the sword/whip combo we asked for and we got. Awesome style and idea. Not my personal favourite because of the varying range (Whip portion hits from very afar, sword lacks the range), but it's just awesome in its style.

Nikana Prime - the one that threw the Dragonika (Dragon Nikana) off the throne. Different striking styles depending on the stance used (Even the quick attacks), nice damage, above average critical profile and status - and that cometic sheath that clips through most warframes but is awesome anyways! My personal favourite when it comes to single-target quick assasinations if I'm not planning on stunning the target and using a dagger. This beast has enough power to be a viable endgame gear.

Scindo Prime - a step towards overpower, overshadowed by Galatine Prime. A faster - and slashier - version of Fragor Prime. A really good weapon, just not my style really

Telos Boltace - When you want to talk damage, speed and incredible range, you talk about Telos Boltace. This weapon is made for spin attacks - they have incredible range, uncomparable to anything else, procs a slash whenever they hit something from a spin attack (despite being a puncture-based weapon), very fast attack speed and horrendous damage. There are only two conditions - first: spin to win. Spin attack is what you want to do on these. Second: to be awesome, it must be equipped, not just quick-melee'd. Maiming Strike and Berserker does wonders on it.

Zenistar - a star when equipped, this disc launching melee is similar to Jat Kittag or Fragor in damage, but deals pure Heat Damage, which can open up to some serious possibilities. The most fun, however, is the disc ejecting on charged attacks, which can act as a temporary damage-over-time mine, changing the damage type and attacks speed of the weapon, however. Slam a Primed Reach and see if it suits you. Have to be equipped to shine really.

From other, not mentioned here weapons, I can add my personal and subjective favourites too.

Orthos Prime - I'm a kind of player that spin-attack alot and I like the weapon to have alot of range without the need to be quipped - and this one does it just fine. Extreme range with Primed Reach (Although not as long as Telos Boltace), Maiming Strike compatibility and the looks of the non-primed version (I use Forest Camo skin, I don't really like the primed look), it's always been my fav style in many games (Zhens from Rohan, anyone?). Good for just getting into a ground of enemies and leaving as the only one alive. Falls off on higher levels, though.

Glaive Prime - it's truly a love or hate weapon. In my case - it's the first one. Clip depleted and the ancient has just a tiny portion of HP left? Throw the Glaive! Enemy patrolling the corridor, trying his best to not lose his head? Throw the glaive! Have a Mirage and want the mayhem to begin? Throw the Glaive! Want to kill yourself? Throw the Glaive Under Your Feet! While not being as powerful as other melees - and not having as much utility as other thrown melees - it's still a fun weapon with a style. Astral Twilight's combos are just beautiful.

Hirudo- when you just need health. Great synergy with all the health-losing frames and if you don't use melee too often. Also murderous ground finishers. And hey, if you turn your elemental effects on and visibility of melee when unused, you can play and have your hands and feet on fire! (Or other element of your choice, careful with Gas though - it can shroud the view with certain main weapons aiming.)

Secura Lecta - After all this years we finally know the true name of Capitalism. If you need money, just equip it and go on. Great range, decent damage (And pure elemental) horizontal attacks, decent status chance, just equip, introduce it to the space trade center and just enjoy throwing it into a serious recession.

And the most important thing I repeat whenever someone asks for a good weapon: Remember that the best weapon for you is the one you like. It all depends on playstyle. There's some magic in it, when you wield your favourite melee, you strike safer, more accurate and more efficently. There are some powerful weapons - like Sciondo Prime, Fragor Prime, Broken War, Zenistar etc - that are just not my style and, although I know they're powerful as hell, I can't really make them reach their full potential, while I can get surprisingly large amount of kills with, let's say, Glaive Prime. Use what you just like to use and you'll see you'll somehow get a bonus to morale and survivability. It's a kind of magic.

Really good list, but are you talking about the reworked Telos Boltace?

Atterax and Galantine Prime are the best melee weapons by a fairly large margin due to their crit, heavy slash damage, status and reach. They literally have everything you'd want. Atterax kinda requires Maiming Strike however so I'd put Galantine ahead just on that  requirement.

Zenistar is it's own kinda beast. It's the best melee weapon but it's not generally used as a melee weapon. It's ability to easily mix status effects into your loadout along with it's CC capacity make it one of the best weapons in the game, not specifically melee.

There are a lot of good melee weapons however and a lot of that comes down to your needs. I'm a freak for weapon reach so I only tend to go for short reach weapons like PDC or Dual Ichors if I need them for something specific like the Index. Dual Ichors still happen to be the best dual swords followed quickly by PDC and Dark Split Swords.

In the end, too much preference goes into melee to tell another player what to use. A lot of them are good either from base stats or stance effects. Which can also be why some are bad sadly. There's a lot of good weapons with bad stances and vise versa.

On 5.2.2017 at 7:35 PM, rapt0rman said:

If you like the ichors and zoren, dual cleavers, or more specifically prisma dual cleavers.

^ yep, i second that. Similar base on slash and good status, what makes the use of weeping wounds quite possible.

That aside atterax, Galatine p, Nikana P, Jat Kittag with the Tela Augument.

I personally fancy the Ack and Brunt too. Electromagnetic Shielding makes Rage energy management possible while invisible or using Naramon.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108