Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you split up during sortie spy missions?

2Peter3Nine

Question

Well don't.

If everyone goes to the same data vault, then someone will be able save the mission if you die in the vault.

Every time i've joined a random spy mission, they always split up.

That can save time yes, but if any one guy fails, we all fail.

I'm also tired of seeing non-stealth frames in spy missions.

Yeah, sure, this one is a infested spy mission, but believe it or not,

not getting noticed is better than getting noticed, even if the infested can't purposely set off alarms.

Edited by General_Durandal

1 hour ago, General_Durandal said:

I'm also tired of seeing non-stealth frames in spy missions.

Too bad. I took the time to learn all of the vaults and figure out the fastest way to do them without using stealth frames and you can suck it up if I join your mission and run circles around your vault clear times while you're too busy worrying about if you're invisible or not.

Also you'll never see me in a pub spy because that's quite possibly the worst idea, in relation to this game, so I do them solo.

Logically and realistically, split up as everyone at that point SHOULD be prepared and know their spy rooms. Should is the main point of contest in that.

In practice, your only real hope is to go solo for spy as sortie spy has proven to be close to impossible in pub games as the majority of players apparently don't understand, "if you don't know the rooms, stay out and in the main halls so that those of us who do know them can get it done." It literally took me about 10 min on youtube to find out how to run all the spy rooms in the first place. With even slight practice, you should know them by that stage of the game. In practice however, pub games have proven that most of the players can't do them or follow the most basic instructions on that. Go in solo. God speed otherwise.

2 hours ago, Aurea_Hiigara said:

Yeah, because everyone started playing this game on launch date and no new players have joined ever since.

Has nothing to do with anything.

You can find how to complete spy on youtube if you have troubles and by no means being in a group is a requirement to play a game as a new player. I never did in the beginning though that's beside the point.

I would even say, many things you will better learn playing solo, especially missions like spy. That's exactly why you have a bunch of people crying for removing spy from sorties - one of the easiest and quick missions, being mr20+ because they got carried through most of them from the very beginning, never learned how a single vault works or how to hack without the ciphers.

I never run Spy missions with Public setting. If nobody I know is online I just go solo. 

If I'm playing with a friend/friends who are not comfortable with vaults, I just ask them to go look for extraction point and stay there while I crack the vaults.

There are too many silly mistakes you can make that can cause you to fail a Spy run, including, but not limited to:

1) Bringing a Syndicate weapon/weapon with a Syndicate mod. Rakta Cernos, Prisma Skana, Vaykor Marelok, any Hek variant... At least the number of Sancti Tigris users decreased now thanks to Tigris Prime.

2) Shooting an Arc Trap in a Grineer Vault while sentry is nearby.

3) Accidentally jumping on top of the console in a Grineer Vault (which sometimes triggers an alarm despite there being no laser detectors around)

4) Tripping a laser thanks to a poorly executed Bullet Jump/roll

5) Forgetting to destroy a security camera in a Corpus Vault

6) Getting swept into a force wall by a water current in Uranus vault because you don't know how to destroy the fan motor

The list goes on. 

Having farmed Ivara by myself I feel more comfortable knowing that any mistakes I make are my own, and taking time to do the spy vaults is actually a good thing, sometimes you find shortcuts you never knew existed. This mode is simply made for solo, at least from enjoyment perspective, if anything. 

3 hours ago, Cortanis said:

Logically and realistically, split up as everyone at that point SHOULD be prepared and know their spy rooms. Should is the main point of contest in that.

In practice, your only real hope is to go solo for spy as sortie spy has proven to be close to impossible in pub games as the majority of players apparently don't understand, "if you don't know the rooms, stay out and in the main halls so that those of us who do know them can get it done." It literally took me about 10 min on youtube to find out how to run all the spy rooms in the first place. With even slight practice, you should know them by that stage of the game. In practice however, pub games have proven that most of the players can't do them or follow the most basic instructions on that. Go in solo. God speed otherwise.

It's sad but true... and frustrating.

EDIT - Thank you!

1 hour ago, Nomen_Nescio said:

Has nothing to do with anything.

You can find how to complete spy on youtube if you have troubles and by no means being in a group is a requirement to play a game as a new player. I never did in the beginning though that's beside the point.

I would even say, many things you will better learn playing solo, especially missions like spy. That's exactly why you have a bunch of people crying for removing spy from sorties - one of the easiest and quick missions, being mr20+ because they got carried through most of them from the very beginning, never learned how a single vault works or how to hack without the ciphers.

You'd be surprised, but not everyone watches youtube. (some people actually don't know what it is)

And some people don't like looking at walkthroughs to get them through a game. (like me)

But, there will always be new players that don't know any better.

(altho, new players shouldn't be in the sorties in the first place)

45 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

I don't split up.

I pray that someone in the team knows what they are doing, perma stealth Loki, and just try and stay out of the way.

Carry me please :)

Don't worry, I'll be useful in the next one. Promise.

lol, someone will, it's guaranteed. but try to helpful in some way. maybe hunt for ayatan stars and sculptures while you wait.

16 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

I never run Spy missions with Public setting. If nobody I know is online I just go solo. 

If I'm playing with a friend/friends who are not comfortable with vaults, I just ask them to go look for extraction point and stay there while I crack the vaults.

There are too many silly mistakes you can make that can cause you to fail a Spy run, including, but not limited to:

1) Bringing a Syndicate weapon/weapon with a Syndicate mod. Rakta Cernos, Prisma Skana, Vaykor Marelok, any Hek variant... At least the number of Sancti Tigris users decreased now thanks to Tigris Prime.

2) Shooting an Arc Trap in a Grineer Vault while sentry is nearby.

3) Accidentally jumping on top of the console in a Grineer Vault (which sometimes triggers an alarm despite there being no laser detectors around)

4) Tripping a laser thanks to a poorly executed Bullet Jump/roll

5) Forgetting to destroy a security camera in a Corpus Vault

6) Getting swept into a force wall by a water current in Uranus vault because you don't know how to destroy the fan motor

The list goes on. 

Having farmed Ivara by myself I feel more comfortable knowing that any mistakes I make are my own, and taking time to do the spy vaults is actually a good thing, sometimes you find shortcuts you never knew existed. This mode is simply made for solo, at least from enjoyment perspective, if anything. 

I learned about the alarm that happens when you jump on grineer data consoles just today actually.

i admit to a few of those lol (i've done all of those at least once)

Edited by General_Durandal

1. Run spy vaults solo, unless you're running them with clanmates and/or friends you have confidence in.

2. There's no need to run a stealth warframe. With at least one path/workaround, you can dance around all those alarms. Just searching YouTube, will produce a flood of guides.

3. Use the Paris Prime or Dread, to take down Eximus units. Especially, those cursed sensor regulators.

If I'm already in a pub squad from the previous sortie mission then I give it a go.  It works about 75% of the time.  

There's usually 1-2 other high MR guys who put on stealth frames and we split up.  The rest just hang out and are grateful for the carry.  If all three seem inexperienced then I politely ask them to leave the vaults to me.  Spy missions are quick, so I'm willing to risk a failure to help peeps out.

4 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

No wonder we keep failing. All the people that can do it are doing it solo :sadcry:

Please have some love for the less skilled Tenno. Not all of us will ruin it for you. Some of us know our place. Some of us will still let you do it solo.

A wise man once said: "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire - and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

Or something to that effect.

Anyway.

Please don't expect people to carry you, because it's not very likely to happen. Good samaritans are  few and far in between, especially since Sorties have long since turned into chores rather than challenges.

What you need is to learn the vaults, either through experience or you know, YouTube, and solo them yourself. Spy missions with random people are too prone to failing for reasons you can't control to be worth it, so either run them with friends you trust, or solo them - chances are, even with all the extra time it takes to crack all three vaults by yourself you'll still complete the mission faster than in a group if you count the failures/restarts/host migrations and whatnot. 

Edited by Reifnir

6 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Please have some love for the less skilled Tenno. Not all of us will ruin it for you.

I'm not wasting my time on the chance that you will, though. I refuse to be punished because some people don't want to take the time to learn how to do the appropriate vaults before jumping into a sortie.

There are other spy missions for a reason. If you can't do them then you don't deserve the reward for them.

13 hours ago, Reifnir said:

Synd procs no longer puts enemies in alert state.  Only time that it would cause an issue is breaking the windows in that certain corpus room. 

You are completely correct on all the others.  :D

I myself mostly do spy missions solo.  There are a few times that I pub them just to see how others do and possibly laugh.  :D

High efficiency/power Ivara w/Infiltrate  FTW

How do you practice the sortie spy missions?

The one time I dared enter one of the puzzles it was far different from anything I've experienced in standard spy missions. I'm not talking the Lua spy.

I can hold my own in normal spy although, yeah, I tend to rely on ciphers for the difficult corpus puzzles because they aren't the easiest things to practice. Practice and fail, or cipher? I'll go with cipher. I suppose I could go and practice that mastery rank test that has hacking but I've gotta do 5 puzzles just to practice the one I want. Ball ache.

Spy just ain't the easiest to git gud at.

2 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

The one time I dared enter one of the puzzles it was far different from anything I've experienced in standard spy missions. I'm not talking the Lua spy.

I can hold my own in normal spy although, yeah, I tend to rely on ciphers for the difficult corpus puzzles because they aren't the easiest things to practice. Practice and fail, or cipher? I'll go with cipher. I suppose I could go and practice that mastery rank test that has hacking but I've gotta do 5 puzzles just to practice the one I want. Ball ache.

They're not that hard to figure out. The outside hexes will have 3 lines or 2. If it's 3 it's obvious which way it needs to go. Do all the ones with 3 lines first then it's easy to see how the ones with 2 lines should go.

Just run some high level missions of any kind so you get the harder puzzle and whenever you set off the alarm, go disarm it without a cipher.

You run the most high-level Spy missions for every possible Vault type, since there are several and they're very different.

1) Common Grineer vaults. Those can be found on Mercury, Mars, Ceres, Saturn or Sedna. IIRC, only Sedna has a full set of traps and security systems, so practice on Kappa.

2) Forest Grineer vaults. Only found on Earth, but since Earth Spy Sorties come up every now and then, it's worth practicing, especially since Earth vaults are rather easy.

3) Submersible Grineer vaults. Only found on Uranus. Rather tricky, especially the one with flooded tunnels, but doable nevertheless. 

4) Kuva Grineer Vaults. The newest addition. At a first glance, they're only doable with a stealth frame, but probably only because they're brand new and some shortcuts have not been found yet. 

5) Corpus vaults. Same layout everywhere, full set of traps can be found on Oceanum, Pluto. 

6) Lua spy missions. Contrary to the popular belief, those are easy, but rather lengthy (especially if you decide to unlock the Simon Says door and not go around it). 

I can hold my own in normal spy although, yeah, I tend to rely on ciphers for the difficult corpus puzzles because they aren't the easiest things to practice.

Actually, Corpus locks are laughably easy once you memorize all full-sized patterns. Outer circle, then inner piece and you're done. Again, practice on Oceanum and if you feel you don't have enough time, install the Intruder mod - it's a wonderful tool to learn the patterns since you can't use ciphers in Sorties. 

Hey, at least *something* in Warframe requires an effort that is not directly related to mindless affinity grind. I'd say it's a good thing. 

Edited by Reifnir

Thanks for the tips.

I have been practicing the difficult corpus puzzles and am getting better, but when you add the pressure of it being a sortie my nerves can get the better of me. I'm a clockwise rotator too. Really need to get my head around rotating counter-clockwise but for whatever reason I read it wrong and go the wrong way which just costs more time.

Dunno why I never thought of the intruder mod. I used that to get through the mastery rank test.

I probably need to start using Ivara instead of Loki as well. I just like to run when stealthed. But that invisibility countdown just adds to the pressure too. Where can I hide? Where can I hide? Oh noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Looks like Ivara's gonna get a potato and I'll be trading for her augment tonight. Then I'll be as good as everyone else.

Was it likely a Kuva one that I was referring to? You had to work your way up to the console (I'm not talking the Grineer one where you start by dropping down a pipe with water) and you couldn't even jump up to the platform with the console on because of a laser that went round the platform the console was on.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

You had to work your way up to the console (I'm not talking the Grineer one where you start by dropping down a pipe with water) and you couldn't even jump up to the platform with the console on because of a laser that went round the platform the console was on.

No, that's the submersible vault, Uranus. There's a winding tunnel in a wall that leads above the laser grid, or you can just flood the entire cave by shooting the tubes. Keep your eyes peeled, vast majority of vaults have very inventive shortcuts, and finding them is half the fun.

Here's a video (not mine, I'm too lazy for this and prefer Ivara/Loki) of this vault completed by an unmodded Excalibur with starter weapons:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Tips:
As said, check videos on youtube. If I recall,  This https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=587545211 Is the good guide with the good quality videos, I think. 

Second - lower level spy missions are easier: They have more routes available, while high level spy missions block certain routes (usually semi randomly) - try to do the harder (higher level) spy missions to get as close to the actual sortie difficulty as possible.

Third: Don't use ciphers. Instead, plug in an intruder mod - it gives you 6 more seconds for corpus consoles, and slows down the grineer arrow considerably. You should especially use it during sorties, no matter what frame you are going with.

As to the different paths in vaults: Every vault has a path or a way that is ALWAYS open, despite some parts of the vaults being random. Learn these. For example, the Grineer vault with the conveyor belts has a guaranteed easy way in - to the left from the start is a fan that you can't shoot, but you can shoot a red barrel behind it (those move on the conveyor belt) to destroy the fan. Get in, hop over the laser field that's on top of the belt, and shoot another red barrel next to a fan on the wall on the right. Go in, drop in, and you're in the vault - with literally no real chances for messing it up. The grineer can't see you, there's just one easily avoidable laser field, no regulators, no hacking, etc. Learn paths like these.As to the OP: 

As to the OP: I generally do sorties with a friend, or alone. In either case, we always go public. I agree that roughly 75% of the time, the public spies are OK. We generally split up, because it's quicker - and I've learned to give even low MR players the benefit of doubt. In particular, I hold the belief that anyone going into a sortie spy 1. knows what they are doing or 2. knows to stay out of the vault if they don't know what they are doing. I don't mind carrying them through the sortie. Also, since there's 2 of us speaking on skype/discord at the same time, we usually coordinate to dispatch Liset air charges if someone else trips the alarm, to give them that extra 20 seconds to solve it - but it's been rarely needed - and it's a really good way to support your team even from the other side of the map. We split up, and generally leave the vaults to whomever gets there first. If one of us isn't quick enough to "claim" one vault, they'll stay behind and on stand-by, ready to charge in if one of the randoms messes up.

Though - We've got generally a one-strike rule. If our public run fails on the first time, we complete the spy on friends only on the second.