Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Solo Warframe (for a relative noob)

mosaickle

Question

Now I've only been playing Warframe (properly) for maybe 2 weeks or so and I can say confidently that I am absolutely loving it, however my brother isn't really playing that much anymore so now I'm probably going to have to play solo (or public occasionally, that's really fun too) from now on. I've done some research already however it seems that some info is already outdated. So my question is, who is a good solo Warframe that is also fairly easy to use? I'd go for Inaros if he wasn't relatively 'difficult' for a 'starter' like me.

Currently I have 3 Warframes, Mag (who I started off with, which I kinda regret, apparently Volt is a much better starter now since Mag is underwhelming later on in the game and Excalibur is kinda generic), Saryn (who I bought and is currently playing primarily since she seems to be a fairly nice kind of an 'AoE mage caster' Warframe) and Loki (who apparently is a good solo Warframe and happen to be fairly cheap to buy [175 Plat]). In a few more planets I'd be able to get Rhino since I've got all the blueprints for everything'n all, apparently he's a good tank solo Warframe.

So is there any other Warframe who's a good solo Warframe who isn't that complicated mechanically? Like Inaros, I'd consider Inaros to have a fairly packed kit, if I were to get him I'd get him later on when I get much better.

Thanks a ton guys!

Frost is the way to go for solo at the beginning. He's great at damage, cc, defense, pretty much anything. 

Rhino keeps you alive with his Iron Skin, can CC enemies with Stomp and buff damage with roar, but honestly I find Frost to be better than him in most situation ,especially when it comes to defense and excavation. 

Edited by aligatorno

12 minutes ago, Atylia said:

So my question is, who is a good solo Warframe that is also fairly easy to use? I'd go for Inaros if he wasn't relatively 'difficult' for a 'starter' like me.

Currently I have 3 Warframes, Mag (who I started off with, which I kinda regret, apparently Volt is a much better starter now since Mag is underwhelming later on in the game and Excalibur is kinda generic), Saryn (who I bought and is currently playing primarily since she seems to be a fairly nice kind of an 'AoE mage caster' Warframe) and Loki (who apparently is a good solo Warframe and happen to be fairly cheap to buy [175 Plat]). In a few more planets I'd be able to get Rhino since I've got all the blueprints for everything'n all, apparently he's a good tank solo Warframe.

If you don't want to bother with your energy then Inaros is the best choice. He's a great tank and his first ability is good CC, albeit short ranged. 

Mag is a very niche frame and widely considered overnerfed. Same with Saryn. 

Volt is a great support frame, still one of my fav frames, his powers are fun and effective.

Excal is one of the best melee frames and scales well into endgame. 

Loki is an excellent stealth frame with one of the best CC abilities in the game.

Rhino is not actually a tank, as you will find out if you use him in higher levels like sorties. However, Rhino is an excellent bruiser and support frame.

What sort of role do you want to fill? Pick a role and then look at the best frames for that role. Do your research, study the wiki and make sure your plat is well spent.

Edited by xXx_mtv_xXx

For the later/advanced game, I recommend opting for Nidus (the second part of the quest is tedious af though, first part is nice) since he snowballs a lot and tanks like a boss. For Spy missions I recommend either Ivara or Limbo (Spy masterrace), however Limbo should be practiced with first, since his ability descriptions may sound a bit misleading for someone playing with it for the first time. Those are my personal preferences though. 

21 minutes ago, xXx_mtv_xXx said:

If you don't want to bother with your energy then Inaros is the best choice. He's a great tank and his first ability is good CC, albeit short ranged. 

Chances are, he doesn't have Rage, nor Life Strike, which makes Inaros a poor choice as he relies heavily on these two mods. An excellent melee frame otherwise, running survivals with him is pure fun. 

As for recommendations, depends on mission types you like to run.

Ivara is an excellent Spy/Capture frame, also doing rather well in Sortie Defenses due to her Sleep/Cloak utility. 

Nova is a very good all-around debuff frame, her Molecular Prime (enemies are severely slowed, take increased damage and explode on death) is universally useful - although you'll need a corrupted mod (Overextended) for her Speed build. 

Frost in pretty much unrivaled in non-Sorite defense runs and any Mobile Defenses, and very good in other scenarios. Mesa is a boss killer frame, unless an enemy has invulnerability phases, she will simply shred them with her Peacemaker, and Shatter Shield provides excellent damage reduction. 

If you plant to farm invasions a lot (and since you'll probably need those Invasion rewards) you might want to get an Ember. She's so good at decimating low to mid level enemies in Exterminate/Invasion missions that not a day goes by without another post with someone whining that an Ember player killed everything too fast in a public run thus making it boring. 

P.S.: I didn't mention Trinity (who is a downright awesome heal/support frame capable of running near-invulnerable in duration-focused build) because not everyone likes playing support, and soloing as Trin is rather dull.

Edited by Reifnir

I'll prolly get some flak for suggesting this but I personally recommend Valkyr if you plan to stay solo. She's tanky and her ult will definitely get you through most rough patches, maybe even some tac alerts. Though you'd need to build for efficiency and duration.

1 minute ago, Reifnir said:

Chances are, he doesn't have Rage, nor Life Strike, which makes Inaros a poor choice as he relies heavily on these two mods. An excellent melee frame otherwise, running survivals with him is pure fun. 

I used Inaros in sorties for months without Rage or Life Strike. All he really needs is max armour and max health. The rest is down to using a good weapon and moving around a lot to avoid soaking up too much damage. If you want to spend hours in high level survival missions or whatever then all you really need is naramon shadow step anyway.

Just now, xXx_mtv_xXx said:

I used Inaros in sorties for months without Rage or Life Strike. All he really needs is max armour and max health. The rest is down to using a good weapon and moving around a lot to avoid soaking up too much damage. If you want to spend hours in high level survival missions or whatever then all you really need is naramon shadow step anyway.

And what are the chances that OP has r12 Vitality and Steel Fiber?..

Inaros is an excellent melee frame with on-demand finishers, but he's not exactly forgiving in terms of "must have" mods, not to mention running into Nullifiers without rage/life strike (or at least Hirudo) can cause problems. And if you don't use Rage on Inaros you might as well not use him at all - Excal with Radiant Finish does a better job at Naramon stealth killing anyway. 

First... Mag is not underwhelming in late game. That is a common misconception. She is the only one who easily aid the team in defeating lvl100 raptors.

Loki is a good survival frame. Enemies can't kill what they can't see.

Rhino... Inaros... tanks... that's about it.

Frost... defense

I'd advise you to play solo in planets progression. You will really learn the game that way. Playing in group rely on too much on each other and you won't excel your skill.

1 hour ago, Reifnir said:

And what are the chances that OP has r12 Vitality and Steel Fiber?..

Inaros is an excellent melee frame with on-demand finishers, but he's not exactly forgiving in terms of "must have" mods, not to mention running into Nullifiers without rage/life strike (or at least Hirudo) can cause problems. And if you don't use Rage on Inaros you might as well not use him at all - Excal with Radiant Finish does a better job at Naramon stealth killing anyway. 

Please tell me how I can get r12 mods lol and Inaros is actually the frame that runs into the least problems when jumping into a nullified bubble because all he can possibly lose in that case is a little armour from his 4 - which is merely a bonus anyway. Rage is good for him if you want to spam his 1 all the time, sure. Otherwise you can get easily away with using none of his powers while still surviving much longer than any other frame in the same scenario. 

1 hour ago, kyori said:

Mag is not underwhelming in late game. That is a common misconception. She is the only one who easily aid the team in defeating lvl100 raptors.

And yet, she is. 

Level 100 raptors (i.e. Raptor series boss as a part of Sortie) melt to Mesa Peacemaker fire without any need of Mag. Not to mention, her Magnetize only lasts for a fraction of its duration on bosses now and her only viable use is armor stripping via polarize, which is done better by 4x CP setup when you really need it. Mag still is a very niche frame, reworked or not. 

1 hour ago, kyori said:

Loki is a good survival frame. Enemies can't kill what they can't see.

Just have in mind that Loki (or any other squishy stealth frame for that matter) is only good for survival runs if running them solo only. In a group scenario, Loki is very likely to die to enemy AoE aimed at your teammates. One unlucky hit from a high-level bombard, Napalm, Scorch, Hyekka Master, Sapping Osprey bomb or a Bursa rocket salvo and you're toast. That said, Loki is a good Spy frame, and an extremely fast one, at that. Plus, if you ever get to Trials (8-player raids) Loki is one of the key frames for Law of Retribution. Not solo, obviously. 

1 hour ago, kyori said:

Rhino... Inaros... tanks... that's about it.

Those are two completely different frames. Rhino is your bread-and-butter heavy assault/jack of all trades frame. Mobility, damage buff, defensive Iron Skin and AoE crowd control, all in one. Unless you have to defend something (which Frost does better), Rhino will likely last you through the entire star chart exploration.

Inaros is a specialized melee frame - armor up, grab a good melee weapon and jump into the biggest crowd. Crazy HP pool (over 5000 HP if fully modded), some CC and life leeching abilities mean you can face anything up to level 140-ish without having to rely on Naramon, which is no small feat. 

By the looks of it I'm probably gonna go for Volt since he seems like the ultimate jack of all trades in terms of fairly good damage, fairly good defense, reasonable solo and team play (cuz public is too fun) and just overall fairly good at everything while not being too broken on anything. I see that Inaros is a popular pick but yeah I just don't have certain mods for certain builds right now, I've only just started Mars so that's really not too far in. Rhino seems like a beast but I'm gonna be able to craft him soonish anyway.

Really appreciate the help from everyone, probably the best communities out there in the 'multiplayer' game scene.

:D :D

6 hours ago, Atylia said:

Now I've only been playing Warframe (properly) for maybe 2 weeks or so and I can say confidently that I am absolutely loving it, however my brother isn't really playing that much anymore so now I'm probably going to have to play solo (or public occasionally, that's really fun too) from now on. I've done some research already however it seems that some info is already outdated. So my question is, who is a good solo Warframe that is also fairly easy to use? I'd go for Inaros if he wasn't relatively 'difficult' for a 'starter' like me.

So is there any other Warframe who's a good solo Warframe who isn't that complicated mechanically? Like Inaros, I'd consider Inaros to have a fairly packed kit, if I were to get him I'd get him later on when I get much better.

Thanks a ton guys!

I also play solo mostly. I can honestly say that Ivara is hands down the best solo frame. Her whole kit facilitates successful solo play in most of not all mission types.

If you are going to spend play to buy a frame, then she would be the much better choice than Loki. If for no other reason than she is much harder to get than him, while being better at solo play. Not saying that you can't solo with Loki, just that Ivara is better at it. :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
correcting autocorrect

40 minutes ago, Evirtua said:

You are the OP?

I recommend playing and experiencing the game yourself to know it better. Take it slow and enjoy.

Treat words in forum as just a guide because there are a lot of mouth-passing-info, meaning they never really experience it but only say what they have heard.

28 minutes ago, xXx_mtv_xXx said:

Yeah yeah you can show off these shortlived buffs in a controlled environment all you want, but that doesn't make rhino an instant tank all the way from spawn to extraction like inaros.

Actually, these buffs last the entire iron skin. Also, with a friendly chroma, valkyr, oberon, or Justice effect, it can go even higher. While this was a controlled test, just to see how much I can get by myself, I've gotten around 400k in mission. Also, I got status and knockdown immunity. Inaros and chroma don't even come close.

Edited by (PS4)Crixus044

As a sidenote for the OP - I wouldn't recommend buying warframes (nor weapons for that matter) for platinum from the market place.

Example: Saryn costs 225 pl to buy from the market. You can get a whole Saryn PRIME set from players for just 60 plat. Even if you decide to install a potato and need to buy a slot for it, that's till a lot cheaper. Of course, then you need to build it, which takes time - still, weapons and warframes are REALLY expensive on the marketplace when compared to how easily you can acquire just about anything in the game. Join a friendly clan, and you'll get access to the clan-research weapons. Ask around in the (clan and alliance, mostly) chats and someone is likely able to help you farm the frame you want. (Like loki - you're probably done in half an hour).

Of course, how you spend your platinum is up to you, but I just wanted to point out that ready-built warframes and weapons are probably the most expensive things you can buy (compared to how easy they are to acquire).

Edited by Tomppak